Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,025,064 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by ProgN
backintexas2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With the vote certified is the market going to run tomorrow?
Mostly Foggy Recollection
FCEL up 16% AH. Nice!
Decay
AG
Y'all got me going now and I'm not even graduated to options yet.

I had cost-averaged COTY enough to grab a decent profit, which I used on the afternoon dip for more WWR.
Swung Doge, Eth, Chain, for profits and put them into BTC before it continued its climb.
Got 18% return on some ZHUF stock. Hoping to see it hit 12.5 again!
Grabbed some Smith and Wesson for the apocalypse runup.

See y'all tomorrow!
AgEng06
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Holy hell, glad I finally pulled the trigger on GBTC today.

I jumped in at $31 last week. Absolutely #SHBM.
Decay said:

I had cost-averaged COTY enough to grab a decent profit, which I used on the afternoon dip for more WWR.
Swung Doge, Eth, Chain, for profits and put them into BTC before it continued its climb.

See y'all tomorrow!

Agree with your swing on DOGE, although I'll hold my net free position to see what happens with it.

I think ETH has a lot of room to run to 2000. I'm holding there.
Decay
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

Decay said:

See y'all tomorrow!

Agree with your swing on DOGE, although I'll hold my net free position to see what happens with it.

You're probably right, I just felt like it was stalling out near 1200 compared to the way BTC seems jumpy and I'm trying to be aggressive while the cryptos are so hot. It's a totally new place for me so I'm hoping to learn more good lessons than bad.
Decay said:

Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

Decay said:

See y'all tomorrow!

You're probably right, I just felt like it was stalling out near 1200 compared to the way BTC seems jumpy and I'm trying to be aggressive while the cryptos are so hot. It's a totally new place for me so I'm hoping to learn more good lessons than bad.

No one ever went broke taking profits.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Running with the Bulls
Saw this and thought about OAs tweet about stress test of your holdings

FJ43
third coast.. said:

so how does everyone keep track of everything they are involved in. It seems to get overwhelming fast. I have quite enjoyed playing the CC game so far this week, and am learning more watching it the few hours i can stay awake while the market is open, but damn if it isnt hard to keep up with everything, and thats just the few positions i have, which are nothing compared to what some of yall have going on. how do yall keep everything nice and neatly organized and remember what you are in? Create a spreadsheet as you make trades?

There are probably countless ways you could do it. Not sure what platform you use but here are a few things I do.

First I try and use all the tools my platforms provide for tracking things. I'm no where near learning all they can do.

I have created secondary to my main and primary dashboard that has a a main chart, grids of charts such as a screen with 8 panels. I then have tabs of 8 panel charts that cover my 'active' positions especially underlying no for option plays. All the same but each with a position I'm in. I can click a tab and see the action of 8 at a time. I can switch to 10min, hourly, daily, etc for any one with one selection.

I keep notes on each chart screen for primary info such as position, qty cost basis and targets for quick reference.

Alerts
Alerts
Alerts
Alerts

I have an excel sheet I track additional notes on I keep minimized.

Once you find a system and setup that works for you it becomes fluid.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

oldarmy1
AG
Running with the Bulls said:

Saw this and thought about OAs tweet about stress test of your holdings

Yup. That's how you use the unexpected negative into a positive.

Something else to think about is while there was selling pressure we were actually buying into new positions and not bailing on intraday sell offs. The selloff was knee-jerk and you could tell it lacked failures on macro markets.
The Pilot
AG
I'm a big fan of TradingView.
MaroonDynasty
FJ43 said:

third coast.. said:

so how does everyone keep track of everything they are involved in. It seems to get overwhelming fast. I have quite enjoyed playing the CC game so far this week, and am learning more watching it the few hours i can stay awake while the market is open, but damn if it isnt hard to keep up with everything, and thats just the few positions i have, which are nothing compared to what some of yall have going on. how do yall keep everything nice and neatly organized and remember what you are in? Create a spreadsheet as you make trades?

There are probably countless ways you could do it. Not sure what platform you use but here are a few things I do.

First I try and use all the tools my platforms provide for tracking things. I'm no where near learning all they can do.

I have created secondary to my main and primary dashboard that has a a main chart, grids of charts such as a screen with 8 panels. I then have tabs of 8 panel charts that cover my 'active' positions especially underlying no for option plays. All the same but each with a position I'm in. I can click a tab and see the action of 8 at a time. I can switch to 10min, hourly, daily, etc for any one with one selection.

I keep notes on each chart screen for primary info such as position, qty cost basis and targets for quick reference.

Alerts
Alerts
Alerts
Alerts

I have an excel sheet I track additional notes on I keep minimized.

Once you find a system and setup that works for you it becomes fluid.

Also don't forget net free; once you go net free and aren't trading a stock, you aren't worried about the position nearly as much.
MaroonDynasty
https://news.gab.com/2021/01/06/president-trump-on-gab-com/

I already signed up for gab, will migrate from Twitter when Trump makes it official.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Futures going up. Really glad I didn't sell Jack other than short positions.
Philip J Fry
AG
Going heavy cash for the rest of the month. I don't see this unrest going any way time soon.
Post removed:
by user
Cartographer
ZYXI

Medical devices. Alternative to Opioid pain management.

Pardon the crummy chart. I've got everything closed and don't feel like opening again.

This looks like an accumulation zone. Center is about $14 dollars. You can look for dips near $13. Break of $15 should see $16, then $17. Over that $20 is the next real stop.

Will check if optionable in the morning. Volume is rising at the end of the channel and it looks like it would have put a full engulfing candle on if not for the afternoon meltdown.

Thoughts?
badharambe
AG
I like this chart.

Additionally, <20 million share float. 32% of float is short. No debt. High insider ownership.

Thanks!
oldarmy1
AG
TSM showing a gap up $3. Going to have some good wins across a lot of all of your holdings we've all posted. Saw MVIS with little early move up $5.50.

COTY $7.20 showing quick recovery and should give us a shot at making hay on the Jan 15 and those who rolled or added outward.

What kind of a bullish leg upward is going to be key to positioning some longer term Put hedges.
FJ43
oldarmy1 said:

TSM showing a gap up $3. Going to have some good wins across a lot of all of your holdings we've all posted. Saw MVIS with little early move up $5.50.

COTY $7.20 showing quick recovery and should give us a shot at making hay on the Jan 15 and those who rolled or added outward.

What kind of a bullish leg upward is going to be key to positioning some longer term Put hedges.

I see that TSM has a sales release tomorrow and earning release January 14th. I've tried to stay away of earnings releases given how things in 2020 reacted. Any thoughts here on TSM as I know little about the company.? Think most are in the Jan calls and I am siting on the Feb 130s.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

Rice and Fries
third coast.. said:

F5 constantly through out the day. I work with my personal laptop next to my work stuff. Just have active trader pro in the background and actual fidelity.com in the web page with CNBC playing in the background.
Rice and Fries
third coast.. said:

I feel like I will always have to donthings differently diebtobthe nature of my work. I can go long stretches of paying attention but then won't have internet for a month. I will have to plan accordingly because it really screwed me a few times when I have been out to sea. When I am about to head out I will have to make significant changes in my portfolio because I dont want to get left holding the bag. I get that doesn't have much to do with my initial question though haha

Oh it's for sure gotta be hard. I have my core positions, things like XLF, XLB, VTI, ARKQ, etc that I don't touch ever. And then my net free holdings I also just let ride. But I'd definitely not be holding a bag of NIO calls or such if I wasn't going to be able to access. I feel it's gotta be hard though,
FJ43
third coast.. said:

FJ43 said:

wmitchell said:

WWR or MVIS if you had to chose one?
The good trading part of both of these is their Options chains. There is a lot of premium in them to buy shares and then sell covered calls and/or sell Puts (but you may not end up with the shares).

I took an initial position in $MVIS on shares AH today and plan to sell some near date Puts in the morning.

As an example the Feb $5 Puts are at about $1.20 right now and $5.50s at $1.50 against a share that is trading at $5.36 right now. Go out to May and the $5 Puts are $2.10ish.

You can sell Feb $8 Covered calls for $0.65, $9 for $0.55 or $10 for $0.40.

Lots of ways to play this one.
So if you sold feb puts it would be a 24% return on your money, assuming you didnt get assigned for sidelining that cash and a 42% return for having that cash sidelined until May. Is that correct? Doesnt seem like a bad deal either way, although the shorter time horizon seems like the smarter move to me, but what do i know. Then if you also bought some shares you could bring down that cost basis by selling those CC. Assuming you purchased 200 shares, you could sell 1 feb CC for .65 and 2 feb $5 puts for 1.20, for a total of $305. You do this one more time and you are net free+ some inside of 4 months, or much shorter if the stock goes up between now and then and you can sell half the original 200 shares. Dos that about sum it up?

Thanks for posting either way.

edit - and yes i realize there are a ton of variables that can change this entire scenario, just making sure i am reading this post and all the info in it correctly.

Yep there are a number of ways to play this one. Same with $WWR. If you have or can dedicate some degree of time on working the system with these (and others of course) with strategic shares, calls and puts these have nice risk/reward profiles IMO. No they are not Beta stocks but they are stocks that have liquidity, high upside and can be read technically relatively easily. Not to mention there is the OA factor of his time and effort on the companies themselves.

FJ43
third coast.. said:

I feel like I will always have to donthings differently diebtobthe nature of my work. I can go long stretches of paying attention but then won't have internet for a month. I will have to plan accordingly because it really screwed me a few times when I have been out to sea. When I am about to head out I will have to make significant changes in my portfolio because I dont want to get left holding the bag. I get that doesn't have much to do with my initial question though haha
Are you in a position to know when you will be out to sea? I am not in that situation but can imagine I would have to time my options plays with the calendar in mind and shares with stops set in the event of some collapse of it. Or sells to go net free should it spike. As long as you can set GTC+ orders that cover your absence there is a way.

Could be kind of like Christmas for you. When you get back you never know what is in the box.

Post removed:
by user
FJ43
third coast.. said:

It all depends. I shouldn't have any issues for a few months, but I'm not going to put myself in a precarious position while I am so incredibly wet behind the ears. We will see how the next few months shake out.
Wise decision. Not that any of us should but may be even more important for you not to have too many eggs in one basket given it can be tough to manage positions. May just take a bit more effort on your planning when you can play shorter term then transition to only long. Others that may have the same situation may can chime in with any tricks they have learned.

ProgN
MARA needs to print $20 today.
Rice and Fries
Prognightmare said:

MARA needs to print $20 today.

idk if I continue rolling my calls higher and higher strikes. Or just let them get executed and taken at $20 vs my $2.52 cost basis.
ProgN
I just trade MARA and have had success. I don't want to be hampered by covering the position.
ProgN
A new one on my radar is GBT, it looking great. I think it fills the $55 gap then marches toward $70.

I'm not playing options on it because I'm not sure how the new administration will be.
FJ43
$TSM is up $3.50+ premarket.

FJ43
$WWR - For everyone that grabbed more shares or entered yesterday in the $4.80s/90s it is at $5.26 premarket. May be time to sells those juiced covered calls.

Geez 200k volume spike premarket on the 1 minute.

First Page Last Page
Page 2699 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.