Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,026,628 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by ProgN
FJ43
How long do you want to ignore this user?
McInnis 03 said:

A good write-up on what covered calls are, why and how to use them.

A) Use this if you own stock (in 100 share lots) and wish to monetize it.

B) use this if you wish to purchase 100 share lots at a discount by purchasing stock and selling a call at the same time to purchase stock "at a discount".(price of stock, minus the price of the call sold)

https://www.chaikinanalytics.com/covered-calls-made-easy-the-basic-concepts-and-why-to-sell-covered-calls/

Good article. Right to the point in simple terms of the reason you may take this approach.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

McInnis 03
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Happy 2021 Traders

As I continue preparations for the seminar I went back and read through this thread. I couldn't help but note that some of the page 1 posters are nowhere to be seen anymore.

It still amazes me how the word "predict" was inaccurately assigned to the entire process espoused as professional trading.

To kick off 2021 let's make sure all the newer followers of this thread get it straight. What a professional trader does is use all of the tools available to make a "calculated" decision to place ones Capital at risk.

Those tools include technical analysis, sector analysis, company success on paper (quarterly reports, 10ks, etc filings), outlook, potential based on everything from early adopter new sector, not yet understood or potential considered (bitcoin anyone - I stated early on I didn't understand bitcoin but ultimately recognized the potential), knowledge from speaking to competitors and insiders of targeted stocks and government applications.

There is more but you get the idea. It's a time consuming, exhaustive approach but the result is that nearly every single stock posted as a "mass accumulation" trade became huge winners. These aren't day traders, swing trades, short term trades, etc. These were decisions to accumulate massive number of shares based on all of the hard work above.

Now, does that mean that within these selected MA stocks opportunities to swing trade, short term trade and all the other trades don't exist? Of course they do! And because you are investing significant capital into these names you learn them like your children. That gives you a high confidence to use that EARNED knowledge to swim with the biggest fish.

So let's end the ignorant takes that "no one can predict the markets". No one claimed they could. Yet one can make educated calculated trades that have extremely high percentages of success; sometimes to such a level that it might APPEAR that they are able to predict a stock or macro market.

Then we have shorter term trades and those are going to be primarily options based trades. These are based primarily on stock study, historical applications of cyclical sectors, technical analysis, VOLUME, events, etc.

Options are calculated (again not predictions) entries with calculated targets and disciplined stops. Just as markets are fluid (unpredictable - hope this makes some happy) the entries obviously have locked in capital, so the upside target and stop are more fluid (although for smaller equity building traders the stops need to be less fluid and followed more closely).

I'm not taking the time for now to mention all of the various options strategies and how they reduce risk on initiating and managing mass accumulation stocks.

Here's to an even bigger 2021!

Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel!
cjo03
AG
third coast.. said:

I'm ready. My goal is to save and invest a lot more going forward. Maybe I'll sell my bourbon collection and put it in the market.

Easy there... he said put your Capital at risk, not your bourbon.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Freaking gold. Bring it on 2021.
Cartographer
Random question:

Does anyone know of a good charting site/software that is accessible on a kindle fire?

I do a lot of reading there and would like to do some charting there as well.

TIA
Madmarttigan
AG
I would imagine kindle uses the mobile version? So maybe Webull or thinkorswim?

TradingView could be another app but is more limited using the free version.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
BenTheGoodAg said:

Dang. Still lost.

I'm with Third Coast. I've watched this thread for a while and I'd like to learn more about options for trading. I've been very comfortable with regular buying/selling, but I feel like I'm leaving opportunities at the table. Still pleased with 2020 performance though!

Honestly it's something that I think you need to do as well as learning theoretically. I would highly advise paper trading ASAP to get a feel for how premiums move, theta decay, etc. Play some of the ones mentioned here as well as TSLA and other high volatility stocks.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Ben here's a scenario i typed out for my dad the other day that shows how powerful a tool options can be in growing your portfolio (and how they can be used with very little risk):

Msft got hammered on 12/15, i sold 220 strike cash covered puts expiring 12/18 for 7.25 each. Got assigned shares leaving me with a cost basis of 212.75. On 12/22 i sold 225 calls expiring 12/24 for 1.02 lowering my basis to 211.73. They expired worthless so tuesday i sold 225 strike calls expiring thursday for 2.05, leaving me with a basis of 209.68. Those expired worthless yesterday so i could either sell the shares at current after hours price of 222.5 for a return of 6.1% in 2 weeks (!) but what I'm going to do is sell weekly 225 calls again, further lowering my basis and increasing eventual returns.
FJ43
NRD09 said:

Ben here's a scenario i typed out for my dad the other day that shows how powerful a tool options can be in growing your portfolio (and how they can be used with very little risk):

Msft got hammered on 12/15, i sold 220 strike cash covered puts expiring 12/18 for 7.25 each. Got assigned shares leaving me with a cost basis of 212.75. On 12/22 i sold 225 calls expiring 12/24 for 1.02 lowering my basis to 211.73. They expired worthless so tuesday i sold 225 strike calls expiring thursday for 2.05, leaving me with a basis of 209.68. Those expired worthless yesterday so i could either sell the shares at current after hours price of 222.5 for a return of 6.1% in 2 weeks (!) but what I'm going to do is sell weekly 225 calls again, further lowering my basis and increasing eventual returns.
Excellent! Love hearing these stories. Keep'em coming.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

McInnis 03
AG
Puru knows his stuff. I'm glad I got put yesterday.

But, if you want to be contrarian, here you go:

Post removed:
by user
BenTheGoodAg
AG
See, I'm pretty limited in what I can do as it is. I work in an environment that I don't have access to my cell phone during the day, and pretty limited outside internet access as well. Definitely unique, but it pays the bills well. So I lean on a lot of limits and trailing stops. I research companies I buy and feel like I understand their markets and fundamentals before making trades. Honestly, it makes this thread hard to follow some days because it progresses so quickly over a 12 hour period. But it works for me, and I'm happy with my returns, but I take more calculated risks because I want to understand what I'm doing. It's hard to back out.

And I'm partly just laughing at myself. I admire how savvy so many of you are. Thanks for the encouragement.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
NRD09 said:

Full disclosure, I don't fully understand some of the mechanics and language used in your post, other than a basic understand of how calls and puts work. I do understand how they can be used to cover risk, but I get a little lost in the language, and what opportunities are really available at what times.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
You could still paper trade. I like setting stops and sales targets for some option trades or a portion of contracts. Make sure to watch training videos from your brokerage firm. Search through investopedia as well.
Ragoo
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

NRD09 said:

Full disclosure, I don't fully understand some of the mechanics and language used in your post, other than a basic understand of how calls and puts work. I do understand how they can be used to cover risk, but I get a little lost in the language, and what opportunities are really available at what times.

Buying stock is going Long the company.
Selling stock is going Short the company.

Buying a call is buying the right to purchase stock long at the noted price, strike price, if the stock is trading at or above that price at the date the option expires.

Buying a put is buying the right to sell stock short at the notes price, strike price, if the stock is trading at or below that price at the date the option expires.

Selling a call is selling the obligation to sell stock short at the noted price, strike price, if the stock is trading at or above that price at the date the option expires.

Selling a put is selling the obligation to purchase stock long at the noted price, strike price, if the stock is trading at or below that price at the date the option expires.

What terminology is confusing? Do you need an example? I have time and am willing to help.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Ok i don't want to encourage anyone to do something they don't totally understand, but to oversimplify, i see people i respect posting stuff like "I'd buy msft all day at $215" i go to the options chain and see that i can achieve that entry by selling a cash covered put expiring that friday, with a 220 strike price and i can collect over $5 premium for that contract, i sell the put and don't give it another thought until friday. It's a win-win, if the stock price is over 220 i keep the premium and my cash is no longer reserved to cover that put. If under 220 i have to buy the shares at 220/shr but i already collected $5/shr as premium so I've improved my entry by $5. It's really just giving an extra bump to your long positions
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Shouldn't vale be due for an ex-div? I just got assigned a bunch of shares.
TheCellarDoor
AG
I'm your huckleberry.
Decay
AG
third coast.. said:

cjo03 said:

third coast.. said:

I'm ready. My goal is to save and invest a lot more going forward. Maybe I'll sell my bourbon collection and put it in the market.

Easy there... he said put your Capital at risk, not your bourbon.

Ha. Stopped drinking almost 2 years ago. All that booze ain't gonna drink itself, so may as well give someone else a chance
You selling options on that or do we have to bid directly for them? Do you have any listings we can peruse? Do you need a broker to assist with small fees per bottle which of course is me?
Post removed:
by user
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
You're in galveston right? I'm in galveston atm. How about i drink your bourbon, we talk watches and stonks, something something, profit!
McInnis 03
AG
NRD09 said:

You're in galveston right? I'm in galveston atm. How about i drink your bourbon, we talk watches and stonks, something something, profit!

McInnis and I live in Galveston County
TheCellarDoor
AG
Fair enough, and I'd rather buy secondary from a good Ag than some random person on Facebook!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
My parents live on the west end so I'm down here a lot. We should arrange something at the brewery sometime...
Spaceship
AG
Anyone in NNDM right now? ARK has been buying up quite a bit and considering buying on a dip.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Spaceship said:

Anyone in NNDM right now? ARK has been buying up quite a bit and considering buying on a dip.

Right here. Just 300 shares.
Hendrix
AG
30,944 btc this morning.
backintexas2013
AG
Good grief BTC still running
wanderer
Hendrix said:

30,944 btc this morning.

Great....MARA going to be down another 10% tomorrow.
Monywolf
My money is on sideways tomorrow.
Mostly Foggy Recollection
Went net free this morning on BTC and did so on ETH recently. About to go net free on Doge

Big 2021 coming!
Hendrix
AG
Think I'm doing the same. Need 34. Still have a ways on eth.
ProgN
BTC at 31.2K.
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 2669 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.