Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,028,051 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by ProgN
cottonpicker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prognightmare said:

AggiEE said:

spud1910 said:

It is incredible to see the gains that have been posted tonight. I have been following this thread for a few years now, and I have learned an incredible amount. And I also enjoy tremendously the comraderie displayed here. I am up 148% YTD for my trading account, thanks to OA for his input and starting the thread and many others who have excellent ideas. One other note; I have been up double where I am now on two separate occasions this year. But each time fell back down due to thinking it was too easy. So, enjoy the gains, but remember that it is not easy and we are not promised the returns many of us have had this year.

Just remember that Warren Buffet had 20% annualized returns for decades. Those sorts of compounded returns are powerful.

These outsized returns are a lot of pure luck, and although this thread seems mostly like a pure stock speculation thread for gamblers, hopefully people are humble enough to balance their play money with more responsible means of long term investing,
I'll put the returns of stock ideas in this thread up against your best performing mutual fund and win every year.
Yep
ProgN
It will, just dive into it. It's not hard and watching the movement of stocks everyday gives you knowledge and experience. You'll begin to see the year as a clock and automatically know the month a stock will report earnings. If someone posts a technical term you're not familiar with, look it up and research it. You'll be helping yourself and your market prowess and confidence will grow. JMO.
JAggie2007
AG
Prognightmare said:

Good post but be cognizant of the signs next year. As the vaccine takes hold worldwide you'll see a gradual decrease of the printing of money by world governments. When you see a tightening by the first, decrease your risk because other governments will quickly follow. When that money pump starts to turn off, the markets will correct violently, IMO. Personally, I will be cashing out or hedging with puts when the first country announces. I don't want any of these incredible gains I've read tonight to be destroyed.
This is exactly why I'm not getting cocky and am about ready to take 50-80% out and let it breathe for a minute. One of the major reasons I've made out as well as I have has been because of Ranger posting exit signs ala the late October dip and taking most of my money out into cash.
Brewmaster
AG
Yes sir!

AggiEE
wanderer said:

AggiEE said:

spud1910 said:

It is incredible to see the gains that have been posted tonight. I have been following this thread for a few years now, and I have learned an incredible amount. And I also enjoy tremendously the comraderie displayed here. I am up 148% YTD for my trading account, thanks to OA for his input and starting the thread and many others who have excellent ideas. One other note; I have been up double where I am now on two separate occasions this year. But each time fell back down due to thinking it was too easy. So, enjoy the gains, but remember that it is not easy and we are not promised the returns many of us have had this year.

Just remember that Warren Buffet had 20% annualized returns for decades. Those sorts of compounded returns are powerful.

These outsized returns are a lot of pure luck, and although this thread seems mostly like a pure stock speculation thread for gamblers, hopefully people are humble enough to balance their play money with more responsible means of long term investing,
I often say that sarcasm is tough to sense through text, good to know that bitterness is not.

Not bitter at all. I became financially independent years ago in my early 30s through sound financial planning; "boring" buy and hold investing, and living below my means. I do not day trade, nor do I really get too excited about paper gains because it can vanish just as quickly as it was made.

I'm just trying to help people in this thread be more realistic long-term and to not be falsely deluded into believing that your luck this year will manifest in any sort of long-term persistence as a brilliant trader, otherwise you should be managing your own fund and will quickly become a billionaire, but of course that's not going to happen.

Feel free to do whatever you want with your money, but bragging about 150+% YTD returns is sort of meaningless without: 1) Persistence, and 2) Significant conviction to place a substantial portion of your portfolio in such trades.

But I get it, people like to gamble and we're in a market environment that's riding high right now.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
AggiEE said:

spud1910 said:

Long term investing and trading are entirely different things. Warren Buffett could get 100% returns if he was retail. The majority of my personal trading is betting that certain stocks stay flat to positive. That's not really speculating.

Trading is hard work. It is not gambling because it is not random. Trading is about finding setups that fit current market conditions, and making a semi informed bet. If you position size correctly, it can be really lucrative. I can see why you feel that way. There are people here that substantially research stocks, patterns, industries, and companies to make informed decisions.

Give us a try, though. You may be surprised.
AggiEE
$30,000 Millionaire said:

AggiEE said:

spud1910 said:

Long term investing and trading are entirely different things. Warren Buffett could get 100% returns if he was retail. The majority of my personal trading is betting that certain stocks stay flat to positive. That's not really speculating.

Trading is hard work. It is not gambling because it is not random. Trading is about finding setups that fit current market conditions, and making a semi informed bet. If you position size correctly, it can be really lucrative. I can see why you feel that way. There are people here that substantially research stocks, patterns, industries, and companies to make informed decisions.

Give us a try, though. You may be surprised.

There are too many variables out of your control. Unless you have some sort of insider way of trading or being able to successfully arbitrage a market inefficiency, most of it is down to pure luck.

You can do all the research you want, but it all comes down to timing. Even if you make the right assessment of a company, as a trader you also have to be correct on the timing. The collective madness of the market can make absolutely zero sense in the short-term, and you can manage to make very unsuccessful bets even though long-term you could absolutely be correct.

Obviously some CAN be successful at it, but statistically it is extremely unlikely over the long-term.
krosch11
AG
Started March : 18K
Current : 55K

A dart board bull market, trading only technicals I understood , (CADE Darvis box was a good one) and being an absolute maniac in making MGNI 40% of my portfolio are my biggest successes.

I traded paper options for a long time because i didn't understand my entry and exit points from a technical standpoint . I am getting better but still have lots to learn.

I don't have any illustions that this is unique time, and don't expect opportunities like this but a few times in a lifetime. However I can say my biggest losses have been from trading away from technicals . I have so much to learn still but Compared to March I'm making much fewer mistakes . Allowing my wins to carrry my losses.

Extremely grateful for the coaching from the board and hope to begin contributing more soon. I feel like our next stage will be learning how to trade and protect capital in a bear market .

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I think you are oversimplifying trading and basically parroting Suze Orman. You are right that the vast majority of investors should buy target retirement mutual funds or shares in SPY/QQQ, and walk away. They don't know how to research, risk manage, or position size.

Active investors, if they put the work in, can do very well. Options trading is also not limited to betting on a big move up or down. The Ags on this thread are, in my opinion, all highly intelligent people capable of making smart decisions.

For example, I sold $35 calls in CWH expiring today against shares I own. I pocketed the entire premium. I bet that the stock would not make a 3 standard deviation move and I got a tidy $1/share in profit for my trouble.

But again, you do you.
topher06
Do the markets just run up on fridays to then immediately sell off because they know maybe 40% of all 401ks are being invested on fridays? Take about 20% that might not pay in on fridays and then half every week.

Not the first time it has happened this year.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
This is primarily a trading thread and I think most on here are well diversified. Thanks for the warning and best of luck.
MaroonDynasty
COCP - in anti viral therapeutics.

Just putting this on you guys' radar; has flared up bigly with big volume 3 times over the last 9 months before settling down again. I just have it on a watchlist for now to see how it settles and trades, with the right entry I could see some net free shares coming.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I have really only been on this thread in the past few days, but just wanted to say it always amazes how when people are discussing something positive (in this case $) there is always a negative Nancy to remind you how wrong you are in a thread regardless of the topic.
59 South
AG
I bleed maroon said:

59 South said:

Slappy007 said:

59 South said:

Prognightmare said:

What are we drinking on this fine Friday evening?
Pizza night with the kiddos watching some god awful kids movies... Italian vino rosso sir. Next up South African cab (the best and most underrated vino in the world imo)
Definitely have to agree with you there and I'm also a big fan of the Pinotage. Have a great weekend.

Yes SA Pinotage is fantastic as well. It's a shame SA wine isn't as common in America as it is in Europe.
I see 5 SA Pinotage selections at my local Total Wine. Any recommendations?

Looks like Spier and Neethlingshof are their two in-stock vintners.
I'm not familiar with those. I just try ta bottle of them all until I find the ones I like the most. Can't go wrong with that strategy
If this post is on the B&I forum, lighten up it's just money!

Disclaimer: I'm not that smart.
FJ43
Prognightmare said:

AggiEE said:

spud1910 said:

I'll put the returns of stock ideas in this thread up against your best performing mutual fund and win every year.
This
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

OasisMan
AG
AggiEE said:

spud1910 said:

Warren buffet trades options too
59 South
AG
Just catching up... I just come here for the fine wine discussions and somehow get the age old debate again popping up... go read page 1 of this thread for the same debate. All I can say is that this thread is not the place for 99% of investors out there. I could talk about what I've learned here for hours and hours so I can't do justice to it all in a post.

IMO about 90% of folks have no idea of how markets work. Most of the remainder vary from river boat gambler day traders to buy and hold forevers. There is however about 1% of retail who can absolute destroy the indexes over long periods of time because of having knowledge, discipline, patience, etc across the spectrum of any trading timescale. The big mutual funds know all this but are limited by big numbers. They have to gradually scale in and out of positions. We as retail can fully load on dips and fully unload on bubbles without even being noticed. We want to be that 1% calculated assassins.

Anyways, my personal style is active investing most similar to the CAN SLIM method that is proven over decades. I have never made a day trade in my life. Go read page 1 of the longer term thread if you're skeptical. I researched the hell out of every one of those companies before making large investments. Now go look at the returns of every single one this year. They were all carefully calculated and bought for a reason. I take offense to anyone telling me it was all 'luck' this year, and I'm sure many others feel the same. I worked my ass off to pick those stocks and time my entries. I often follow really smart people like OA and many others, but I never blindly buy their recs. I put in the time, and I took the risk. 99% aren't willing to do either.

The skeptics speak in facts. They really do. For example, the external forces out of your control comment. Absolutely true and is why I don't invest in energy, metals, or banks. Commodity prices and interest rates driving share price?!? No thanks! Penny stocks?!? Are you crazy? It's all part of the risk assessment.

I have been reading this thread daily (and a lot of other sources as well) religiously for about 4 years or so. It took me a year before I started buying individual companies about 3 years ago. 2018 was a hard year mentally with lots of ups and downs, and I think I was flattish overall while learning the mechanics of things. Last year was really good. This year has been ridiculous, and I haven't traded much at all. These returns are not sustainable, but they don't have to be. It's all about protecting unsustainable gains when they come. There are a lot of bitter people out there this year that I see a lot on Twitter. Please don't let the Twitter mentality make it's way here.

That being said, I wish everyone the best in the their investing. I'm sure all of us can agree on that! You do you, and I'll do me. Nobody is the same in that regards. Lots to learn all around... I just keep soaking it all in

BTHO Auburn!

Aston04
AG
Agile Therapeutics starting to make a move (10 perc from my entry). To me this one makes so much sense. Their first drug to market (a safer birth control patch) is started to be released... In the past it's been traded much higher in anticipation of this.
backintexas2013
AG
A quick search led me to this thread about AggiEE. Seems this is what that poster does.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2265243/last#last

Scroll to the top
tramaro1
AG
I will say this thread has been fantastic and relatively troll free. Ags helping Ags, making $, sharing knowledge and mistakes gained over the years in order to help each other. I guess there is always that one person that has to poop in someone's Cheerios.

I would say 99% people know to trade at your own risk. The market is not a sure thing and you can lose big. Plenty of us have shared stories of blowing up an account. In order to help the next person not make the same mistake.

This thread has helped me and made me lots of money, let's keep it positive and shake those haters off!

I bleed maroon
AG
59 South said:

Just catching up... I just come here for the fine wine discussions and somehow get the age old debate again popping up... go read page 1 of this thread for the same debate. All I can say is that this thread is not the place for 99% of investors out there. I could talk about what I've learned here for hours and hours so I can't do justice to it all in a post.

Cutting to the chase - the bolded part above is very accurate, and if the thread title was changed to "Active Traders", there would be little to no debate, as this thread will have accomplished its' purpose, for the most part. Active traders can learn and act on many components of this great discussion. The problem is that it IS NOT a thread on how to invest in the stock market. And this is why I am concerned about novice investors thinking this is a shortcut and the magic answer to overall investing - it's just not, and that's not even debatable.
Madmarttigan
AG
Confession time.

I started trading seriously this year for the first time and definitely blew up my account and lost quite a bit in September through some really bone headed mistakes and overplaying penny stocks and getting cocky. Woke up one day and messed up so bad I almost threw up and quit stocks forever. Made the decision to be better and learn more and figure it out.

In the past month I have erased all my losses and now up for the year, in large part thanks to MGNI (thank you OA). It has been an amazing month where my account has almost tripled. I feel a lot more balanced now in how I am investing.

I think I have made all the major mistakes multiple times already, but still have a lot to learn and really really appreciate this thread.
FJ43
Felt it was necessary to post a reminder given there are some comments being made that must have missed, ignored or not read the very first post and beginning of page 1 of this thread. Just a a reminder how this thread started out and its purpose.

oldarmy1
9:09a, 2/4/16

Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel! This is a trading thread where trading and market chatter occurs.

Per request - recommended reading on beginning to learn technical trading:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/handbook-of-technical-analysis-a-comprehensive-guide-to-analytical-methods-trading-systems-and-technical-indicators_darrell-r-jobman/584061/?utm_term=1101002859890&mkwid=7iRpvLeX%7cdc&pcrid=11558858262&utm_campaign=Bing+Shopping+%7c+Business+&+Investing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing#isbn=1557385971&idiq=1677270&mkwid=7iRpvLeX%7Cdc&pcrid=11558858262

So each day this thread moves very quickly so it is easy to miss longer term ideas, tips, positions or analysis. It is primarily a trading thread laced with sound wisdom, experiences AND long term investment strategies. Heck we've even covered best ways to handle taxable and tax deferred account positions although this isn't the tax strategy thread, had conference calls to discuss specific companies and their fundamentals and much more.

If someone just pokes their head in now and then it would be easy to come to some sort of conclusion this is the 'gambler's thread', we have a magic crystal ball or are flying blind. It is not. We manage what is in front of us. This is a technical trading thread of which to have sustained success requires commitment, desire to be involved with your money, understanding technical (and fundamental at times) analysis and probably most of all discipline. This is not passive investing or mutual fund investing but for those that have or make the time to actively manage their assets.

To all you technical traders out there...let's ride.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

khkman22
AG
FJ43 said:

I will say I loved laughing at you 4-6 years ago, but nice to have you on the thread, Charlie Strong.
AgEng06
AG
khkman22 said:

FJ43 said:

I will say I loved laughing at you 4-6 years ago, but nice to have you on the thread, Charlie Strong.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
You guys are the tits.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
For those of you in FEAC help me understand the shareholder offer. I don't have much experience with these spacs post merger. Why is the offer for so much less than the current share price? Due to that why would anyone choose to exercise the offer rather than simply selling the shares now? What happens to shares that don't exercise the offer? Do they tend to drop down towards the offer price?

Also other that internet search, speaking alpha, or stock twits where would I look to try to gain information about this to help make a more informed decision?
topher06
khkman22 said:

FJ43 said:

What a horrible thing to call someone
MaroonDynasty
tv1113 said:

Confession time.

I started trading seriously this year for the first time and definitely blew up my account and lost quite a bit in September through some really bone headed mistakes and overplaying penny stocks and getting cocky. Woke up one day and messed up so bad I almost threw up and quit stocks forever. Made the decision to be better and learn more and figure it out.

In the past month I have erased all my losses and now up for the year, in large part thanks to MGNI (thank you OA). It has been an amazing month where my account has almost tripled. I feel a lot more balanced now in how I am investing.

I think I have made all the major mistakes multiple times already, but still have a lot to learn and really really appreciate this thread.

YOLO'd MGNI, nice! :p
$30,000 Millionaire
AG

Baby Billy
AG
Cheers again. BTHO Auburn

BrokeAssAggie
ehrmantraut said:

Cheers again. BTHO Auburn

Damn, those look good! What's the recipe!?!
59 South
AG
For you Prog...

Baby Billy
AG
4 parts zing zang
1 parts Tito's
Few dashes of Tabasco
Little pickled okra juice
Squeeze of lime
Peppered bacon slice
Serrano pepper uncut (slice if you like it really spicy)
+ whatever the hell else you want
ProgN
Didn't load
First Page Last Page
Page 2553 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.