Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,044,035 Views | 231655 Replies | Last: 53 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
FJ43
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NRD09 said:

Appreciate it guys
I bleed maroon said:

"Net free" is just a manner of identifying the age-old strategy of selling enough shares to recover your initial investment. I've (along with many others) been employing it for options trading since before OA was in diapers

The oa strategy I'm referring to is the idea of buying at bottom of channel, selling enough to recover initial investment at top of channel, squirrel away remaining shares, rinse and repeat. The rinse and repeat step being the novel part and difficulty in record keeping. It's not rocket surgery but everybody I've mentioned the strategy to thinks it's brilliant so it's clearly not standard knowledge/ practice, at least for non finance folks
I want to do this with those little Bios because of the spike factor but mainly because I enjoy trading. I didn't deploy the net free strategy on this one and just traded the channel since it was so predictable. Imagine if I would have and bam.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

59 South
AG
You need to squirrel your way into an expat position in the motherland. I hear the Brexit folks need some expertise!!!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I would love to live in the UK.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
What is that one? Screenshot is fuzzy. My biggest regret in not employing the strategy was when i traded wtrh several times before it went bonkers. The shares i should have had banked would have been substantial
McInnis 03
AG
NRD09 said:

Unrelated to this uncharacteristic level of weekend activity:
When you guys are following oa's net free strategy, how do you keep track of which shares you have net free after a couple rounds? Like i sold some mbio and oncy yesterday and kept the net free shares, but when i (if i get a chance to) buy back, my platform will show the net free shares as having the same basis as subsequent purchases. Do you just keep track in a spreadsheet?

ToS allows you to create groups where you can move positions of your choosing. My "net free" group lowers my blood pressure.
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
FJ43
NRD09 said:

What is that one? Screenshot is fuzzy. My biggest regret in not employing the strategy was when i traded wtrh several times before it went bonkers. The shares i should have had banked would have been substantial
Sorry about that. Still haven't figured out how to import an image you can click on to expand.

ARPO. Traded it for a month or longer up and down the channel. Good for 8-10% rinse and repeat. But I didn't use net free strategy.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

FJ43
McInnis 03 said:

NRD09 said:

Unrelated to this uncharacteristic level of weekend activity:
When you guys are following oa's net free strategy, how do you keep track of which shares you have net free after a couple rounds? Like i sold some mbio and oncy yesterday and kept the net free shares, but when i (if i get a chance to) buy back, my platform will show the net free shares as having the same basis as subsequent purchases. Do you just keep track in a spreadsheet?

ToS allows you to create groups where you can move positions of your choosing. My "net free" group lowers my blood pressure.
Need to figure that out. Would love to have them separated that way. I end up putting text notes on the chart to keep tabs.

McInnis 03
AG
Right click on the share or option you want to move, click "move to group" then create a net free group
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
FJ43
Thanks. I will get TOS help on Monday. Keep getting "The following mandatory flag feature disabled - SUB_GROUPS" when trying to create a group on the Position Statement.

All good but glad to know I can do this. Will help my blood pressure as well.

McInnis 03
AG
FJ43 said:

Thanks. I will get TOS help on Monday. Keep getting "The following mandatory flag feature disabled - SUB_GROUPS" when trying to create a group on the Position Statement.

You may need to convert your tda account to the advanced feature set (free) if you haven't already

B&I Key:
Brewmaster
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I would love to live in the UK.
I would love to live in europe (Austria or Ireland) half the year and TX half the year! Also add in the south half of France. My wife and I have traveled various parts of Europe. Love most of it!
gougler08
AG
I'm definitely going to push for an expat assignment if they ever come back in the O&G business
59 South
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Suggestion to those with potential trades. Add a chart when you make your initial post. It will not only catch our eyes but allow for a quick initial evaluation. Make sure the chart has volume bars included.

I'm definitely always open to make money from any source.
I entered AMD 12/18 87.5C on Wednesday at $2.50 and posted this chart... thoughts?

Rising building channel over the past 2 weeks. Big green bar on Thursday confirmed the entry. Good consolidation on Friday holding above 84 breakout. Looks like if it clears the sneaky 86-88 area, it has some room to run and magnet to 100 pretty quick.

59 South
AG
gougler08 said:

I'm definitely going to push for an expat assignment if they ever come back in the O&G business
I'm on #2. It can be a pain, but overall I highly recommend. I'm in O&G. I'm in a really unique situation and very lucky.
59 South
AG

What do we think about NIO now? I have A LOT. I haven't sold any yet but could go net free by selling <10%. It's all in tax deferred 401k (80%) and Roth IRA (20%) where I can sell covered calls on that 20%. I don't have the capacity to get cute and trade it so I've just been letting it snowball and waiting for a technical or fundamental reason to sell off some. I've been really disciplined by just holding. I won't need or have access to (without penalty) for 20 years. I haven't gotten euphoric either so I'm just sitting tight right now. This monthly chart makes me think this run isn't over. 100-200 in 2021 seems like a real possibility. What do we think???

FJ43
59 South said:

What do we think about NIO now? I have A LOT. I haven't sold any yet but could go net free by selling <10%. It's all in tax deferred 401k (80%) and Roth IRA (20%) where I can sell covered calls on that 20%. I don't have the capacity to get cute and trade it so I've just been letting it snowball and waiting for a technical or fundamental reason to sell off some. I've been really disciplined by just holding. I won't need or have access to (without penalty) for 20 years. I haven't gotten euphoric either so I'm just sitting tight right now. This monthly chart makes me think this run isn't over. 100-200 in 2021 seems like a real possibility. What do we think???

Great position to be in! I like NIO long term. Their last earnings report was pretty much all positive especially on margin improvement. I suspect their next report will be even better which may fuel the next level rise. I've heard several respected folks mention $100 share in 2021 so even if half way to that from here that would be a nice return. Not sure it will be smooth along the way but will get there.

Personally I'm really going to try and focus on net free holdings in my longer term positions. OA has beat that into our heads on building wealth and I believe he's proven that strategy to be a solid way to manage risk and provide better account growth. Not knowing how much NIO is part of your overall portfolio but given you have a lot, if you can sell less than 10% to go net free at this stage why wouldn't you and use those funds for diversifying into other good long term trades? Example would be like MGNI where it doubled from most of our entry in less than 4 months. Think OA mentioned that could touch $25 from here.

I believe OA has a nice position in this one as well. Curious as to his take if he's net free now or still riding before he deploys that. I'm only in options on it at present having traded it along the way from about $20 to $35.

oldarmy1
AG
I went net free through a combination of trading those waves charted pre-emergence to call option LEAPS and finally some planned sales along the way. I sold some shares last week above $50 into earnings and bought a spread Friday.

Remaining net free shares are untouched and I move to a net free account now that I'm done with planned sales.

Great to see all the talk on net free investing. With MGNI I now have 672 net free holdings, including the likes of AMZN, GOOG, FB, MSFT, ALGN, ROKU, FMC, DE.

Something you might notice is while I was posting about ROKU on a regular basis I really haven't much over the last 6 months. Same with NIO last 2 months.

As I plant net free holdings I move on to the next ones. Doesn't mean I won't trade them with options when openings present themselves, just not using brain power on them daily any longer.
oldarmy1
AG
59 South said:

oldarmy1 said:

Suggestion to those with potential trades. Add a chart when you make your initial post. It will not only catch our eyes but allow for a quick initial evaluation. Make sure the chart has volume bars included.

I'm definitely always open to make money from any source.
I entered AMD 12/18 87.5C on Wednesday at $2.50 and posted this chart... thoughts?

Rising building channel over the past 2 weeks. Big green bar on Thursday confirmed the entry. Good consolidation on Friday holding above 84 breakout. Looks like if it clears the sneaky 86-88 area, it has some room to run and magnet to 100 pretty quick.

Very good analysis and such an easy Darvas Box breakout to see. As for current trade the macro markets will either rebound Monday and Likely send your AMD Into a nice win or macro markets consolidation will take it on a down wave forming another Darvas Box channel. Draw what that might look like based on what you see is a 3 swing channel currently.

Then also you always want to circle the gaps in case consolidation turns into correction. If the lows on what could be a Darvas Box fail then you go into gap fill watch. You'd use macro gaps to determine individual stock gaps before entering.
Rice and Fries
As someone who hasn't taken a position in NIO, but is considering. Do you think that's wise to start slowly dipping in now? Or hold off? Hard to see the EV cat going back into the bag save for some influence from broad macro event
oldarmy1
AG
So hard to say what short term openings lower you might get. If you have the ability in your account to sell naked Puts then maybe a combination of entry of some shares and selling of a ok etching like a Jan 15 $49 Put that was around $8 close on Friday. That gets you either $8 in pure profit if NIO breaks and keeps going or $41 net entry. I like that set up a lot. And remember, if NIO drops instead of rises short term your getting paid while potentially building more shares anywhere along the way, just in case it doesn't ultimately reach $41.

Plan on adding buys at $44 and then let the Put either expire or execute more at $49 with actual effective entry being $41. Suddenly you've built 3 entries on it.

Consider selling more naked Puts if it does drop below $40 at that time. Sell some $38 naked Puts out 60 days for $7+ for $31 net entry or pocket $7 to make up ground on already entered shares.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
OA,

What is your strategy for managing 670 equities? That is an insane number to me. I have nearly 100 positions and what I do is run a monthly scan to see if I should cut something.
oldarmy1
AG
Alerts are your friend. Upper range, lower range, volume surges, earnings dates plotted, etc.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Alerts are your friend. Upper range, lower range, volume surges, earnings dates plotted, etc.

Good point. I can't even imagine the data entry on that.
I bleed maroon
AG

oldarmy1 said:

Good point. I can't even imagine the data entry on that.
I'm in the same boat. I have over 150 positions that have accumulated over the years in 3 accounts, and the best I can do is scan it during the day when I have time. I will take OA's advice and look into some basic alerts, but shudder at the data entry, as well. I'm sure Schwab has improved their alerts since I last used the built-in email service, so I will also investigate their current capabilities (any Schwabbies with recommendations?).
khkman22
AG
Me: What ETFs and mutual funds do you hold?
OA: OANF and OANFX
Me: I searched and googled those for 30 minutes and I couldn't find anything on them.
OA: Yeah, they're just my bag of net free holdings.
FJ43
McInnis 03 said:

FJ43 said:

You may need to convert your tda account to the advanced feature set (free) if you haven't already
Thanks and yes you are correct it it is only on the Advanced Features Set. Hadn't done that and just did but may take 2 business days since checked the boxes on a weekend.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Am I too excited about this?

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
This looks like it could absolutely fall apart. Daily squeeze. I am not planning to trade.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
PYPL - I like this a lot.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Also like this a lot. I expect to enter this on Monday

PSNL

gougler08
AG

Also like this a lot. I expect to enter this on Monday

PSNL

I also like this one and got in a little while ago based on someone's recommendation, think it has room to run if it can get a bit of volume
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Curious in you all's thoughts in HIBB. I have a small 12/18 50C position on this. Does this look like goal posts to you? Could be beginning of C&H.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
last one - TWLO. Daily squeeze, want to see some volume...

BenRev09
AG
I think we all would've chipped in for your TA premium subscription had we known the difference
Maximus_Meridius
AG

PYPL - I like this a lot.

Might I ask what in particular excites you here? I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I think Jan 205c's might be a good play, just trying to learn. Chart analysis is my weakest area.
First Page Last Page
Page 2483 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.