Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,079,094 Views | 231775 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by El_duderino
59 South
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If y'all are newer, struggling a bit, and haven't read Carter's Mastering The Trade, take a break away from trading for a bit and read it. Reset and figure out your personal rules in addition to his. I hate reading books, but I couldn't put this one down.

Cliff notes:

• Be patient for both entries and exits (on winners)
  • Set a stop loss on everything
  • Don't associate it with money - disconnect it from physical possessions (ie, what you can buy with what you just made or what you just lost)
  • Don't over trade
  • You will eventually blow up an entire account. It is a right of passage.

There are many more. I personally added NO pennies and NO bios (I am in a small position MBIO though now). I also took a break from options due to time commitment and mental anguish. Options really are for full time traders.

If this post is on the B&I forum, lighten up it's just money!

Disclaimer: I'm not that smart.
AgDad77
AG
McInnis

To late to get in on that SBUX?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
wanderer said:

Not to dwell on the bad, but ZOM/QD/ONTX/GOCO have been gut punches on almost a daily basis over the past 3-4wks.

Lol on ONTX, you're like "well, it can't get any worse. at least it wont give me too many more red days to drag my entire portfolio down...." and then BAM. another big red day. I feel like this will be the first stock in history to hit 0, and then find a way to go below zero .
Boat Shoes
AG
PINS rocket ship.

McKinney Ag69
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

wanderer said:

Not to dwell on the bad, but ZOM/QD/ONTX/GOCO have been gut punches on almost a daily basis over the past 3-4wks.

Lol on ONTX, you're like "well, it can't get any worse. at least it wont give me too many more red days to drag my entire portfolio down...." and then BAM. another big red day. I feel like this will be the first stock in history to hit 0, and then find a way to go below zero .
You just gotta buy low and sell high on ONTX.
TriumphForks
AG
Challenger 17 said:

wanderer said:

ONTX you buy low it goes lower.
McInnis 03
AG
AgDad77 said:

McInnis

To late to get in on that SBUX?

I've reduced my position to almost nothing but I think it can still go if you have time to be patient with it. Break below 80 would be a complete failure
UpstateAg
AG
Great points. Options trading of TSLA caused me more harm than good. It required babysitting to day trade, and became miserable. I think the idea is alluring, but the real potential for me is in buying shares and selling premium. I won companies that I want to own, if it goes up, then great; if it goes down, that's fine too (because I trust the company and my diligence). Options are not worth the mental anguish for someone who has a mentally and emotionally draining job. It's why I rarely play them. And there is nothing like buying a company, selling calls for two years, and realizing that the premium collected almost covers the whole stock purchase.

Also, VTSAX and chill...
FJ43
Challenger 17 said:

wanderer said:

My current 'feeling' on ONTX...but there is always tomorrow.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

AgDad77
AG
thanks
texagbeliever
CWH is having a decent last few hours.
ClutchCityAg
Let it ride
Brewmaster
AG
great tips 59!
for those with permanent gigs that are starting to get stuck with more real work...

stick to leaps or at least out a month plus and you can manage the positions a lot more stress free (and bigger names), like Ranger's FB Oct 300c. I'm on the look for the next one! Might be FB again honestly, showing a lot of strength and consolidating right now.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
TriumphForks said:

Is there a FOMO Anonymous support group out there?

Yep, and it sounds like you already paid your dues!
AgEng06
AG
Ranger's PINS calls last week are MONEY.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
KT 90 said:

As a new trader I had always been warned about BIOs. They seemed like easy free money to the untrained eye. I have learned the hard way trust me. If you are absolutely insistent on playing the BIOs go with known long standing entities , or go with entities that have a known revenue generating product that still has room for growth.

I'm done with the purely speculative stuff (i.e..trials, waiting on FDA approval,pipeline only potential etc..)

if you play the smaller ones, you need to cash in and go net free when possible (OA's method). Then hopefully cash in on the rest. Easier said than done of course, I too, have learned the hard way on some of these.

Either the net free method or just play momentum, get in premarket and back out within hours. Small bio/pharma tends to split and secondary offer continuously to keep the lights on so long holds very seldom work. Really if a pharma you like has options just buy calls, that way the pain has an expiration date and your 10,000 shares that are worth .0004 each don't sit in your account and taunt you forever because it's not worh the $5.95 otc trade fee to dump them. Oh and they show big % swings when the price moves .0001, which is also frustrating
WoMD
59 South said:

If y'all are newer, struggling a bit, and haven't read Carter's Mastering The Trade, take a break away from trading for a bit and read it. Reset and figure out your personal rules in addition to his. I hate reading books, but I couldn't put this one down.

Cliff notes:

• Be patient for both entries and exits (on winners)
  • Set a stop loss on everything
  • Don't associate it with money - disconnect it from physical possessions (ie, what you can buy with what you just made or what you just lost)
  • Don't over trade
  • You will eventually blow up an entire account. It is a right of passage.

There are many more. I personally added NO pennies and NO bios (I am in a small position MBIO though now). I also took a break from options due to time commitment and mental anguish. Options really are for full time traders.

I agree with this. Solid post.

Maybe there should be a disclaimer/warning for all pennies/bios that are recommended on here. I don't think folks realize what they're betting on with these. They get all excited because of what it could become, without understanding the risk behind it and that the rate of failure is higher than a regular good stock.

Using ONTX as an example, I recall lots of "people on the internet say it's going to hit $10!!1" thrown around on here. It gets people who have no idea how these often go a false expectation. Yes, it could eventually hit $10 (or hopefully $1 at this point), but how long until that may happen? Based on how it looks now, probably years at best. In the meantime, owning a stock that's worth 25-50% of what you put in isn't something most people can stomach, even knowing that they should be patient.

Bios can be solid options if played correctly, but the expectations, timeframes, and rules are completely different from stocks like SQ, AAPL, etc. But just like gambling, the minute I put down the bet on the table it stops being money. And never bet more than you're willing to lose.

They're also not great for those of us who are going back to work. Swings can literally be minutes, and easy to miss the best exits if you don't have an order set and aren't able to sell instantly. I've missed huge opportunities now that I'm back seeing patients, so it makes more sense to put money over into mid and long term investments. The short term trades just don't work if you can't watch them closely, at least for me. They're actually worse, since I look back at the day after work and see what I missed. And then I cry...
jbeck3487
AG
It would be real nice to see DIS break above the channel to the upside and take out the HOD. Then close above the 5dma to set it up for tomorrow.
CheladaAg
AG
TWTR finally making a move up.
Beerosch
AG
jbeck3487 said:

It would be real nice to see DIS break above the channel to the upside and take out the HOD. Then close above the 5dma to set it up for tomorrow.

It's been trying to break over 132.78 but keeps getting rejected
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
y'all stop lumping goco in with bio/pharma. It's a real company with revenue and not just burning money on some hypothetical breakthrough that may never happen. It's just getting shorted manipulated FUD'd and smeared by sheisty law firms and oa said from the beginning that we're looking at 4q earnings for them to really shine anyway. All that said, I'm invested heavy in it so it's probably scrood
gougler08
AG
The penny bio's giveth and taketh away, been a rough couple weeks on the pennies that I'm in
WoMD
gougler08 said:

The penny bio's giveth and taketh away, been a rough couple weeks on the pennies that I'm in

I'm still holding one from a few years ago that's worthless now so I can sell the loss when I need it for tax purposes. Will probably end up with another one or two from these. Looking like QD so far, but maybe itl surprise and get back up, but plan to hold and use it that way if need be.
tam2002
AG
Just bought more ONTX for what seems like the 5th straight red day. Gonna average this rig down to zero
gougler08
AG
WoMD said:

gougler08 said:

I'm still holding one from a few years ago that's worthless now so I can sell the loss when I need it for tax purposes. Will probably end up with another one or two from these. Looking like QD so far, but maybe itl surprise and get back up, but plan to hold and use it that way if need be.
Yeah I know these are longer holds / lotto picks when I get in them...some hit (GEVO, TTOO, ONTX to at least go net free) and some have been bombs (BIOL, CHEK)
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
It's like the new TRNX, just a couple letters off
McInnis 03
AG
CRM just gifted me a net double and some freebies. WHAT A WEEK
Mister Cooper
AG
Is there life in the MBIO $5 9/18 calls? Making a slight move today
topher06
Some people must have realized TSLA can't increase every day by 10%, but let's face it today is probably just an anomaly and we will be at TSLA600 tomorrow.

EDIT: Just read they are diluting. Not a bad move after the insane run up, and RHers have no idea what diluting is.
TecRecAg
AG
nvm
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Dilution means nothing, MORE MEAT FOR THE MEAT EATERS! #TSLA750

Crazy swings on airlines today. Was it people wanting to ride a Trump pump and then jumping when it fizzled?
Fightin_Aggie
AG
WoMD said:

gougler08 said:

I do a lot of things reasonable well. Investing In penny Bio stocks is defiantly not one of them.
ProgN
HEAR breaking out
Rice and Fries
Bob Knights Liver said:

Dilution means nothing, MORE MEAT FOR THE MEAT EATERS! #TSLA750

Crazy swings on airlines today. Was it people wanting to ride a Trump pump and then jumping when it fizzled?
We need AgsoutsideAustin to step in and say "EAT EAT EAT" instead of his BUY BUY BUY schtick lol
khaos288
AG
got a little spy volume spike for the first time in a few hours
First Page Last Page
Page 2116 of 6623

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.