Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,139,548 Views | 224629 Replies | Last: 17 min ago by 59 South
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those using L2 charts, what indicators are you using?

Anyone using "Studies" on Think or Swim?
Brewmaster
AG
Prognightmare and others,

How are you buying stocks into your kiddo's 529? I'm moving everything out of USAA and into Fidelity. I remember you mentioning you bought Roku cheap in your kids 529, but it seems all 529's are fund based and directed by the brokerage firm you choose (nothing hands on that I can find at least). Our son's has made a paltry $90 in 18 months , awful!

have a great weekend all!

Brew
ProgN
BREwmaster said:

Prognightmare and others,

How are you buying stocks into your kiddo's 529? I'm moving everything out of USAA and into Fidelity. I remember you mentioning you bought Roku cheap in your kids 529, but it seems all 529's are fund based and directed by the brokerage firm you choose (nothing hands on that I can find at least). Our son's has made a paltry $90 in 18 months , awful!

have a great weekend all!

Brew

I have just a basic custodial account for my son. I don't actively trade in it. I put $3,500 in 12/26 and bought ROKU at $31. I'm just letting it ride. When I save up a little more then I will add 100 shares of MU or something similar when it goes on sale and let that ride. I figure he'll have a nice portfolio before he turns 21 and that's 17 years away. Just imagine that gift for my little Champ (his nickname).
pfo
AG
Prog, I initially did custodian accounts for my daughters but then , as I got older, I started trusts for them. One of the main problems with custodian accounts is they get that money very early in life when they might be still making bad decisions.

And, right now, you might be thinking this won't be big money. At least that's what I thought. Well, I ended up picking some huge winners and it turned out to be really big money. Anyway, just food for thought.
ProgN
pfo said:

Prog, I initially did custodian accounts for my daughters but then , as I got older, I started trusts for them. One of the main problems with custodian accounts is they get that money very early in life when they might be still making bad decisions.

And, right now, you might be thinking this won't be big money. At least that's what I thought. Well, I ended up picking some huge winners and it turned out to be really big money. Anyway, just food for thought.
Completely agree and I plan to start a trust but with marriage collapsing and timing I just didn't want to miss ROKU at the low 30's. Once my divorce is final and custody is decided then I will have more time to set up a trust properly.

ETA: opening custodial account and buying ROKU took about 5 minutes. That's the only reason I went that route.
Brewmaster
AG
Great info, both of you, thanks guys!
ProgN
IrishTxAggie
AG
Hmmmm.... Wonder what this will do to banks tomorrow. I've got some BAC weeklys
pfo
AG
Deutsche Bank has posted the worst numbers of any of the big banks. My opinion is their problems are unique to them.
pacecar02
Prognightmare said:

I feel like this should have happened 2 years ago
no sig
ProgN
Agreed BAC, JPM and GS increased their dividends and buy backs no more than a week ago. Those are the easiest earnings plays this month. They wouldn't have done that unless they are going to crush earnings, IMO.
pfo
AG
About 6 months ago, Guy Adomi on Fast Money said Deutsche Bank was highley leveraged to oil prices (I believe he said oil). That would explain it and also make it unique to Deutsche.
Seven Costanza
AG
What is it that you like about ROKU? I don't have any positive or negative views on it - just curious to hear your thoughts.
ProgN
Seven Costanza said:

What is it that you like about ROKU? I don't have any positive or negative views on it - just curious to hear your thoughts.
They don't produce original content and have agreements with DIS and others that will allow their streaming service to be viewed through ROKU. They've also added a paid subscription service that has been well received. They also have agreements with TV manufacturers and their channel/device comes standard on new sets. Ragoo and I disagree on this, but I suspect that they will be acquired by one of bigs within 2 years. Cord cutters are growing everyday and ROKU offers entertainment for practically nothing.

All that and it was started by an Aggie Alum. I hope that helps in some way.

ETA: The ROKU CEO was also on the stage when AAPL introduced their streaming products coming out. That's also a positive in my book.
Ragoo
AG
Prognightmare said:

Seven Costanza said:

They don't produce original content and have agreements with DIS and others that will allow their streaming service to be viewed through ROKU. They've also added a paid subscription service that has been well received. They also have agreements with TV manufacturers and their channel/device comes standard on new sets. Ragoo and I disagree on this, but I suspect that they will be acquired by one of bigs within 2 years. Cord cutters are growing everyday and ROKU offers entertainment for practically nothing.

All that and it was started by an Aggie Alum. I hope that helps in some way.

ETA: The ROKU CEO was also on the stage when AAPL introduced their streaming products coming out. That's also a positive in my book.
my belief that they will not be bought out only increases when insiders liquidate. I think if they had buyout in mind they would hold their shares to maximize their value.
ProgN
pfo said:

About 6 months ago, Guy Adomi on Fast Money said Deutsche Bank was highley leveraged to oil prices (I believe he said oil). That would explain it and also make it unique to Deutsche.
I like Adami he's been really good on Fast Money for awhile.

Cool story bro time. A few years back he changed his pic on twitter of him giving a speech at some event and he had a small glass on the podium with brown color. I asked if it was an adult beverage. He tweeted back, " good eye, Johnnie Walker blue label." I thought that was cool
ProgN
I'm not saying you're wrong brother. I just think if a high enough offer is made then it will happen. Their platform is by far the best in the industry. In the meantime, we're all making money on it.
IrishTxAggie
AG
ROKU CEO is an Aggie too
YNWA_AG
AG
all of AMD's new Ryzen 3 CPUs were released today except for the 16 core R3950X. They handily beat intel in every aspect of computing except for gaming sometimes, where they are either slightly worse, better or equal depending on the game and how it is being run. AMD seems to have the advantage over Intel in the near future, especially since Intel has nothing to fight back with on their roadmap.

should be an interesting Monday open and rest of year for AMD.

also EPYC Rome is going to be released later this year
ProgN
AAPL downgraded to sell from neutral
IrishTxAggie
AG
Please let it come down to $175 again!!
tailgatetimer10
AG
It looks like it doesn't completely kill Intel, but when you consider a 25% lower price point, it's going to force Intel's hand in pricing.
JobSecurity
AG
RTN from +50% to almost hitting my stop
UpstateAg
AG
It'll come back.
rgag12
AG
The only thing that will stop Roku from hitting $100 today would be Iran dropping an atomic bomb. It'll probably be over $100 before lunch.
Aggie_2463
AG
Coop with a dip down to $7.85 and back to $7.99
JobSecurity
AG
foleyt said:

CMG trying to break out of flag on daily. Measured move up would be big. Need a solid close

CMG closed over the flag and is running today if anyone else took it
IrishTxAggie
AG
I bought more at .45
oldarmy1
AG
Aggie_2463 said:

Coop with a dip down to $7.85 and back to $7.99
I was sitting at $7.75 and am ticked off.
CheladaAg
AG
Just want to share that I have some intel that confirms CX has significantly increased shipments of cement and material over the last ~month. Just fyi.
oldarmy1
AG
boyz05 said:

Just want to share that I have some intel that confirms CX has significantly increased shipments of cement and material over the last ~month. Just fyi.
Thanks! Adding to it with the rising wedge pattern
oldarmy1
AG
OSTK
oldarmy1
AG
Bought CRUS shares straight up on the share balance inequity break down
JobSecurity
AG
oldarmy1 said:

OSTK

Squeeeeze
E
AG
Sold my OSTK too soon

I've been negative on a lot lately so when I saw a profit this morning I took it and ran! Can't be upset with a profit!
First Page Last Page
Page 631 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.