Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,092,965 Views | 224498 Replies | Last: 2 sec ago by Chef Elko
Dobre casy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks Gator! I need to download...I've just been using the website since I didn't want to download it on my work laptop.
Gator2_01
AG
On the web trading app from the Portfolio tab you can choose "Dashboard" to see your percentage of winning trades and Net Liq.
aggiemetal
AG
Gator do they have an iphone app yet?

I know they've been working on it (haven't been able to follow broadcast as close lately and am waiting for next round of my position to come in before I close it and transfer funds to my tastyworks account)
Ragoo
AG
Ragoo said:

As a general strategy I love buying assets with hearty dividends and selling OTM covered calls for a month or two or more out. I make sure the premium on the calls is enough and the strike price is high enough that if called out I met 15-20% and if not called I get the dividend on top of the premium already pocketed.

The hard part is finding them. Maybe a separate thread is needed?
for example. you can buy netflix today at $146 and sell $148 covered call for $5.00 expires this week. If called out you've made nearly 5% in a week.
ebdb_bnb
Ragoo said:

Ragoo said:

As a general strategy I love buying assets with hearty dividends and selling OTM covered calls for a month or two or more out. I make sure the premium on the calls is enough and the strike price is high enough that if called out I met 15-20% and if not called I get the dividend on top of the premium already pocketed.

for example. you can buy netflix today at $146 and sell $148 covered call for $5.00 expires this week. If called out you've made nearly 5% in a week.
NFLX announces earnings today after the close.
Ragoo
AG
ebdb_bnb said:

Ragoo said:

Ragoo said:

NFLX announces earnings today after the close.
yep and with the trend in the price today it seems the market thinks positive results.
Gator2_01
AG
My NFLX trade today is a 135/160 strangle.
Gator2_01
AG
aggiemetal said:

Not sure about iPhone, but they have the Android version released as an early Beta. I don't trust it enough to use/rely on it.
Ragoo
AG
Gator2_01 said:

explain, please sir.
aggiemetal
AG
Gator2_01 said:

aggiemetal said:

Not sure about iPhone, but they have the Android version released as an early Beta. I don't trust it enough to use/rely on it.
thx I called earlier

they said around late May/early June for iPhones
Gator2_01
AG
Ragoo said:

Gator2_01 said:

explain, please sir.
I sold two options contracts:
NFLX Apr 21 160 Call
NFLX Apr 21 135 Put

My total premium for this trade was $301. As long as NFLX trades between those two strike prices through Friday, I'll keep all of the premium. Ideally, I'll close the trade on Tuesday for $150-$200 of profit based purely on volatility crush and a less than expected move.

This trade costs me ~$2400 of margin (aka Buying Power Reduction). Essentially I'll be looking for a 5-8% return on capital over just a couple of days.

A comparison to your trade:

Strangle - Max profit $300, BPR $2400, Max ROC 12.5%, Max Loss INFINITY (if the stock raises to infinity by Friday, lol)

Covered Call - Max profit ~$700, BPR $14600, Max ROC 5%, Max Loss $14600 (if the stock drops to zero by Friday, lol)

While my Strangle trade has Undefined Risk, it can actually handle a 10% move by the stock in either direction before you start to lose money.

The covered call will provide you a 5% gain on a 10% up move, but you'd also see a 7.5% loss from a 10% down move. It starts losing money if the stock drops more than 2.5% (the premium collected from the call).

Your covered call is a bullish strategy: you make money if the stock price raises and lose money if it drops. My strangle is neutral: I make money if the stock price raises or lowers - to a point. After a 10% move in the stock price in either direction I'll start to lose money FAST.
Ragoo
AG
You own the underlying asset to do this, right?
colonialag
AG
No requirement to own an underlying to sell options (with the proper permissions on your account). Only the obligation to deliver if exercised.

I had the same NFLX short strikes with a $5 wide iron condor. Looks like it might work out on the opening for us, Gator2_01.
Ragoo
AG
if you don't own the stock how do you deliver if the price does move outside of the channel and hits either strike price?
Gator2_01
AG
Closed the trade for $0.36 at opening to net $265 overnight (11% ROC).

I do not own the underlying. Whether this was a winning or losing trade my plan was to close the position prior to any contract being assigned.
colonialag
AG
When you are assigned on a short option contract, you either buy (short put) or sell (short call) 100 shares of the underlying at the strike price for every contract you wrote. Assignment is handled by your broker, the exchanges, and clearing houses. You would basically log into your account after expiration and find yourself short or long shares in the underlying. You could then either hold on to the shares or exit the position in the open market.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Jumped back into SN pretty big yesterday before close.
Gator2_01
AG
Going for a wide Iron Condor in IBM today. Buying the wings to define risk and make it an IRA compatible trade.

Buy IBM Apr 21 185 Call
Sell IBM Apr 21 172.5 Call
Sell IBM Apr 21 170 Put
Buy IBM Apr 21 157.5 Put

Credit received / Max profit: $381 | Max loss: $869

Right now volatility is pricing in a +/- $4.26 move by Friday expiration. I break even as long as the price move stays in that range.
Gator2_01
AG
Afterhours move is definitely outside of the expected range. I'll watch the price movement once the market opens to see how I'm going to manage it. Either wait to see if it trades up into the breakeven range, roll down and out to give me more space and time, or close it out for a loss.
colonialag
AG
It's much easier when it all works out perfectly.
Gator2_01
AG
But then you wouldn't build a solid skill set!

I closed the call side for $0.03. Now I'm just going to watch that pesky Put side today. Right now the trade is down ~$400. This is why you stay small with earnings trades!

Edit: After the volatility dropped off I ended up closing the position for just over a $400 loss. I didn't like the volatility offered so I'll chalk this up as a loss and move on. Thanks IBM, have a nice day.
aggiedaniel06
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Gap fail this morning. It had bounced back and held Friday. 20k DOW likely test but with 3000 points of momentum rally there is lots of room for a momentum correction.

Firstly, thank you oldarmy and the rest for your contributions to this thread, as it is a great learning experience for a novice like me.

I was hoping someone could explain how this is a Gap Fail in this chart. Why are the areas that I have marked up in the same chart not "Gap Fails"?

[img][URL=http://www.imagebam.com/image/03f821544190787][/URL] [/img]

Also is it still the notion that the DOW will likely test 20K?

Thanks in advance!

aggiemetal
AG
wasn't able to post earlier b/c we're traveling and I was driving but the play I mentioned last week selling juiced up puts when we had that nice vol spike and the VIX being around 16, I was able to take off this morning as a 50% winner of max potential profit with the modest up move and vol crush...a 9.5%+ winner in relation to the net liq when I put it on

was planning on staying on the sidelines for a while while I waited but fortunately the late liquidation break happened and I used this afternoons move that juiced vol back over 15 to get my toe back in the water but small, with contracts 37 and 42 days out around the 3.00 mark...it could easily go against early but that was a decent little sell off so I'll start here, if we get more action down I can work into more and even farther away from the current market...again a lot of leeway to not have to time things perfectly with this method so not real concerned if pullback continues, in fact I'd be elated to be able to really start building the position bigger this early...however, if it pops back up again or meanders as the balance continues giving me easy theta decay, great small as I am now I've got enough on to fund our RV site dues in Miss & Bama for the next month

not always fun and roses, Feb and Mar sucked b/c vol got totally sucked out of the market, save for a few moves where I was already overly committed...but still was never down just not as up as normal.. . .not a lot of things in life afford you the possibility of winning up,down or sideways...finally following my own advice of staying small and being patient for the opportunity, then going big when the stars align so you've got dry powder to kill it...I love me some Trump but finally the "just b a t s h i t e crazy enough to give the market some good vol here and there" is paying off
oldarmy1
AG
That gap move correlated perfectly with the February 3 day resistance gap upward. It's not a long term directional indicator when major support/resistance hasn't been developing but it is usually a good trade indicator. As a good trading rule markets/stock gaps down (or up) and doesn't recover in the first 30 minutes then go with the gaps direction for a larger move. And you'll notice the markets have been trading sideways with moves above and then below that gap center line.

Covered calls have once again been the big winning strategy. Currently 20400 DOW break would be high alert for correction with 20750 broken upward would likely mark a move back to retest above 21k highs.
Comanche_Ag
AG
Vito said:

Btw, good luck Comanche! I started 3 weeks ago and it's been fun. My account is up 2% in 3 weeks, and I've learned about 3,000% in the process.

I closed all my positions yesterday when volatility dropped. I made 50% profit or greater on all of them (small numbers still). I really like the risk/reward relationship with these investments. Thanks!
Gator2_01
AG
Sold some strangles this morning.

X 21/25 in June for 2.00
JNPR 28/30 in June for 0.98

Also sold a CMG Iron Condor 445/455/525/535 in June for 3.30

Looking for 50% profit in each.
TriumphForks
AG
For those of us still holding on to TWTR today is a good day (so far).
ranchag04
AG
Does TWTR go higher from here?
Joseph Parrish
AG
Tax cut info come out yet?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
aggiemetal
AG
Quote:

Vito said:
Btw, good luck Comanche! I started 3 weeks ago and it's been fun. My account is up 2% in 3 weeks, and I've learned about 3,000% in the process.

I closed all my positions yesterday when volatility dropped. I made 50% profit or greater on all of them (small numbers still). I really like the risk/reward relationship with these investments. Thanks!

that's a good job by you

I did the same. Two nice quick rounds for 50% winners. One I started few weeks ago that I mentioned a page or two back when we got that nice VOL swell which I closed last Wednesday, then later that day I was content to be on the sidelines and wait but low and behold market had a nice correction, VOL swelled again and I was able to open another decent sized round of short puts. Got that fortuitous bounce Sunday night and closed them at 40% or so winners without blinking. Now hands in pockets for the moment, waiting for some more overpriced fear and just playing with covered calls in the meantime.
Gator2_01
AG
Any reason you use covered calls when VOL is low? It's the same risk profile as a short put.
Gator2_01
AG
Quote:

Interesting. So is there any opportunity to set up buy/sell orders on the underlying stock if it moves close to 10% in either direction, or are you limited because you're on margin? Or is this even desirable to set up these hedges?
The most efficient way to manage a strangle is to roll the untested strike up/down towards your tested strike and then roll both positions forward in time.

You can use the underlying to hedge on moves against you, but that would drastically increase the margin required to maintain the trade.

For example:

On 3/29 I sold a 32/29 May 19 Strangle in OIH for $1.20. At the time it was trading at ~30.50 making this trade a neutral trade with break evens from $33.20 down to $27.80.

On 4/21 when OIH moved solidly below 29 (my short put strike) I rolled the 32 call down to 30 for a credit of $0.31 - making my total credit received $1.51.

I was planning on rolling or managing the trade tomorrow, but today as the price fell below $27.80 I closed the trade for a loss of $10. I was only looking for a $60 win on the other side of this trade, so I'm content with the outcome.

If I were to have sold 100 shares of OIH when it passed through 29 while leaving both short options alone I would have closed this position at this point for a $96 win ($120 from the short stock - $24 total loss from original strangle).

The big difference here is that the margin required for my original trade was ~$650. Once you add in the short stock you are looking at a margin requirement of $2100 total so it would effectively triple the size of your trade.
aggiemetal
AG
Gator2_01 said:

Any reason you use covered calls when VOL is low? It's the same risk profile as a short put.
nothing else to do, really small but just trading in few products with decent IV b/c I hate doing nothing and I got plenty of premium on the call side...LOL nothing advisable here, just playing around with it and confident I'll turn a profit soon, and if not immediately almost better, as it's good practicing the old golf swing in regards to dusting off management of strategies I don't frequent
First Page Last Page
Page 68 of 6415

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.