Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,978,002 Views | 231555 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by Heineken-Ashi
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner said:

ProgN said:

Anyone in here on Reddit? (I am not)

Anyone on here follow WSB on Twitter? (I've been perma'd 5 times on Twitter so, I am not)

What the hell do you post on Twitter?
It's been a few years back and I wasn't aware of how far left Twitter was at the time. Progressives don't like to be challenged so I was perma'd and ran out of phone numbers, email accounts, etc.
ProgN
flashplayer said:

Just googled his tweets and it looks like he has been talking sh** all day long trying to rally a bear kill party. Retweeting everything from Roaring Kitty
Who?
flashplayer
AG
Wallstreetbets. That is who you were referring to right?
ProgN
flashplayer said:

Wallstreetbets. That is who you were referring to right?
Yeah, but that's not why I asked.

For anyone on Reddit (WSB is big on there) or Twitter, I'd start suggesting they took a hard look at POWL because it's a perfect meme stock play. Extremely low float, rising short interest, but they're actually very profitable. You want to see a rocket ship, POWL would be in orbit in a flash.
El_duderino
They'd have a field day with it
Chef Elko
AG
For all the memers and folks who lived through the first massive small cap / memestock run, Zack Morris is back on twitter. All those guys had their fed cases dropped
ProgN
El_duderino said:

They'd have a field day with it
Yep, and like I said, I'd do it myself but I cannot.
El_duderino
Forgot to add short interest is now over 20% as well
flashplayer
AG
Isn't the small float (and relatively small # shorts even though a large %) and high price of POWL kind of prohibitive from getting to meme stock territory?

Even if you could get it to crazy high volume the shorts would close out in a hot minute I'd have to think.

That said, I would be all for it. Just bought another round of shares today.
ProgN
flashplayer said:

Isn't the small float (and relatively small # shorts even though a large %) and high price of POWL kind of prohibitive from getting to meme stock territory?

Even if you could get it to crazy high volume the shorts would close out in a hot minute I'd have to think.

That said, I would be all for it. Just bought another round of shares today.
No, it'd soar due to the small float and short interest nearing 20% is heavily shorted. Their price doesn't matter to WSB.
I bleed maroon
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If you're talking about after-tax Roth contributions ("mega backdoor") to my 401k, I'm pretty much writing that off as an option going forward with my new employer.

Though that means I'll need both an IRA AND Roth IRA accounts on Fidelity for my rollover.

But as for Traditional IRA, I don't have one currently.

Will look into Webull...
Just caught up on this thread for the day. Sorry to hear about your job change, but I'm sure things will work out for the best - we're all pulling for you!

On your 401(k), there is no downside I can think of to roll it to an IRA. If you have time (and depending on how big the account is), I'd shop it around before deciding. Include both accounts, to get more traction. See if anyone will match Webull's offer, and if not, find out what's the best they will give you. I found that they will pretty easily match, or come close (Schwab did this for me a while back). Wells Fargo has been aggressive lately, so I moved some "hold forever" positions (just a partial rollover, not an entire account) there for a nice reward - their trading capabilities are poor, though. Remember, you don't get what you don't ask for...
EliteZags
AG
Pro Rata Rule is the potential downside to be aware of

none of the major (Schwab/Fidelity/Vanguard/TD etc) will come close to touching even 1% transfer bonus, Fidelity offered me something like $2500 for $1mil total assets (0.25%)
these recent promotions from RH and Webull are of unheard of %, especially RH's 3% paid upfront untaxed within Roth which was the biggest no-brainer, I believe all of Webull's bonuses are paid into taxable account in some installments within holding period

A month ago they even had 4.5% with successful referral, but I still held back on rolling over due to Pro Rata and bonus being taxed, I did move my individual stock positions from Vanguard to Webull when they had the 3% taxable transfer in March
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/C66lYoeObhJ
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Definitely gonna shop around a bit. Not really in a rush to do the rollover. Thanks for the input.
I bleed maroon
AG
EliteZags said:

Pro Rata Rule is the potential downside to be aware of

none of the major (Schwab/Fidelity/Vanguard/TD etc) will come close to touching even 1% transfer bonus, Fidelity offered me something like $2500 for $1mil total assets (0.25%)
these recent promotions from RH and Webull are of unheard of %, especially RH's 3% paid upfront untaxed within Roth which was the biggest no-brainer, I believe all of Webull's bonuses are paid into taxable account in some installments within holding period

A month ago they even had 4.5% with successful referral, but I still held back on rolling over due to Pro Rata and bonus being taxed, I did move my individual stock positions from Vanguard to Webull when they had the 3% taxable transfer in March

Wells Fargo Brokerage gave me exactly 1% - - $2500 for moving $250k in assets (I actually moved a bit more, but that was my choice). I believe it was for either after-tax or IRA money. Keep it in there for 90 days, and they throw it in your checking account (this offer is associated with their "Premier" tier or somesuch nonsense). I guess I will see if they 1099 me on the bonus at year end - no big deal to me if they do (low marginal tax rate currently).

Admittedly, I don't consider Wells Fargo a "major" brokerage, but if you have long-term holdings you don't plan to sell, it's worth considering. BUT, I'd certainly study those Robinhood and Webull offers, as they will be very tough to match or top (but read the fine print for conditions or limitations).
Heineken-Ashi
If you didn't see my post earlier today or my post yesterday, please read those first. This is probably one of the more simpler methods of identifying swing bullish plays. It is not guaranteed - these could all fail - but you will know the signs that they might fail (main one being MACD crossing back down), and the stops are so clear that you likely just let them work.

A little deeper for those who need a little hand holding. My RSI indicator on TOS (with custom settings that I've developed over time to better signal oversold and overbought) throws off signal arrows at key swing points. In strong trends, they might throw off falsely, but a huge a swing move is almost always preceded by these arrows. You can use them on any timeframe, but they are most reliable on daily. The rules for determining whether to buy or not once it throws off an arrow are as follows..

1. I need the MACD (purple on the lower pane) to crossover the MACD average (signal line - yellow on the lower pane).
2. Price cannot have made a new low after the RSI signal arrow when the MACD crosses.
3. RSI cannot have run up more than halfway since the signal arrow when the MACD crosses.

That's it. It's that simple. If everything checks out, I buy at current price with stop at most recent low which should coincide with the general area of the signal arrow.

Targets are a different story. You can simply wait for RSI to throw off a down arrow and MACD cross down. You can sell at a gap fill, 50% retrace, 61.8% retrace, Keltner mid or upper line, or whatever makes sense to you. Once I am in on a play, I will usually switch over to tradingview and chart EW to see if I like where it is in the count. It's probably also wise to keep your eye on the moving averages and volume.

Here's some that have signaled buy.

And here's one I'm watching closely as it might throw the signal as soon as this week.

There's probably a lot more out there, but I don't have the time to comb all stocks on all days.

Here's the RSI calcs for TOS. Make sure you have up signals and down signals turned on.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
jamey
AG
I bleed maroon said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

If you're talking about after-tax Roth contributions ("mega backdoor") to my 401k, I'm pretty much writing that off as an option going forward with my new employer.

Though that means I'll need both an IRA AND Roth IRA accounts on Fidelity for my rollover.

Will look into Webull...
Just caught up on this thread for the day. Sorry to hear about your job change, but I'm sure things will work out for the best - we're all pulling for you!

On your 401(k), there is no downside I can think of to roll it to an IRA. If you have time (and depending on how big the account is), I'd shop it around before deciding. Include both accounts, to get more traction. See if anyone will match Webull's offer, and if not, find out what's the best they will give you. I found that they will pretty easily match, or come close (Schwab did this for me a while back). Wells Fargo has been aggressive lately, so I moved some "hold forever" positions (just a partial rollover, not an entire account) there for a nice reward - their trading capabilities are poor, though. Remember, you don't get what you don't ask for...

How do you mean Wells Fargo trading capabilities are poor? That's where I have my starter kit taxable account and figured I'd eventually move my 401K there.

Granted I know the financial advisor so there's some good faith in using them
I bleed maroon
AG
jamey said:

I bleed maroon said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Will look into Webull...

How do you mean Wells Fargo trading capabilities are poor? That's where I have my starter kit taxable account and figured I'd eventually move my 401K there.

Granted I know the financial advisor so there's some good faith in using them
Oh - don't get me wrong - - they're fine with the basics. If you're a buy-and-hold investor, they're going to do everything you really need. But if you want advanced options trading and more exotic stuff, they're quite limited. Schwab (my main brokerage) is head-and-shoulders above them, and I believe the others mentioned earlier (Interactive Brokers, ETrade, Fidelity, etc.) are also considered far superior in reviews you may come across. I am second most familiar with Fidelity, and while they're better than Wells Fargo, I don't put them at a top-tier level, either, for trading tools and website usability.

It all depends on what's important to you. An example item that's important to me: Fidelity has a very advantageous high-yield money market sweep feature that I think is unmatched by others. Schwab discontinued theirs in 2017 or so, and I don't think Wells Fargo ever even offered one.
jamey
AG
I'm just buy and hold. I have them draw money monthly and I'll add too it a few times a year but I just let them chose where to invest.
bhanacik
AG
Thanks for this!
Heineken-Ashi
bhanacik said:

Thanks for this!
If you get the 8/21 EMA crossover after one of these signals fires, it's more evidence that a large swing is happening. If the 8 never gets to the 21 or bounces off, it can be a good time to move the stop up or exit with some small profit.

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
I bleed maroon
AG
jamey said:

I'm just buy and hold. I have them draw money monthly and I'll add too it a few times a year but I just let them chose where to invest.
Now is as good a time as any to restate my previously discussed thoughts on this thread overall. Apologies in advance, for the post length, and to those who disagree, as this is simply my opinion.

This is NOT a stock markets thread. It is primarily an "Active Traders" forum, where a lot of good ideas are exchanged, and daily market moves are discussed. The great majority of investors who either hire an advisor, or pick a few indexed funds to invest in are not going to derive a lot of benefit from it - consider it entertainment, first, with some education second, and you'll be fine. The original poster (despite stating this in the original post) has consistently refused to have staff re-title the thread "Active Traders", which I believe is a mistake, especially for novice investors who have been told this is "the way" to invest or accurately represents "Stock Markets". It's doesn't, and it's not. A buy-and-hold investor or an employee funding a 401(k) is every bit as much in the stock market as we active traders posting here.

Most of the trading strategies noted here are opinions and pseudo-science, and not facts, as sometimes posters may lead you to believe. You should always seek out more information from a variety of sources, do additional study, and assess your own risk tolerance before following advice you see here. Anyone who uses the words "guarantee", slam dunk, no-brainer, or the like should be warned, as there is absolutely no such thing in investing. There is a lot of fact-reporting (earnings report info, insider trading stats, volume analysis, analyst ratings, news clippings, etc.) that is very helpful posted here, and tons of examples of surfacing investments you might want to consider (that you wouldn't have found otherwise). That's what makes it great!

A lot of the posting here revolves around technical analysis, which in my opinion, is primarily bunk (sorry, folks). I have used the word voodoo before to refer to it on this thread. People can get wrapped up in terminology, strategies, and "disciplines" based on this, instead of considering it in conjunction with other more practical data, and this is wrong, in my opinion. Without some basic analysis of fundamentals, market conditions, or other research, technical analysis alone is akin to studying past roulette spins to predict the next one. I have compared it to a Roman general consulting a seer before battle to study goat entrails to dictate timing of an attack. Look at any true statistical study, and you will find that technical analysis by itself performs no differently than the market on the whole (read about a random walk down Wall Street or efficient markets theory for further more accurate education).

That is not to say technical analysis is without merit. Other than those who place trades solely on the shape or slope of a past chart, there are several reasons why it can be helpful. One is very practical - - there are a lot of active traders who believe in it and act on it, and therefore, can together influence trade selection and near-term market performance. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Secondly, technical analysis can lead to traders having an organized approach to entry/exit from positions, and no matter what method is used, it can help avoid turning winners into losers (greed) or limiting losses when a trade doesn't work. There's value there, even if your method is flipping a coin or picking arbitrary stops. Also, paired with at least a modicum of fundamental analysis, it can be helpful in selecting entry or exit points for a position you already want to trade.

Bottom line, take this thread with a grain of salt, and by all means, ask questions before taking action on something you don't understand. Be aware, though, that this thread is generally best for people who have a lot of investing experience and have a decent understanding of trading mechanics (such as option trading), and is not a place for novices to blindly follow. HAPPY INVESTING TO ALL!
ProgN
You're right that the vast majority of daily posts favor active trading, but not all. It was just a couple of weeks ago that I posted 2-3 recs for 'LM Cane' that have strong fundamentals and the charts indicated good entry points. My post was directed towards him because he asked what we thought looked like good candidates for him. He stated that he was a buy and hold investor and had some cash that he wanted to put to work, not a trader.

Look, this thread is amazing because I've never seen anything like it in almost 3 decades in the market. The information, advice, caution, experience, etc. that is shared freely everyday is truly special. No one advocates aggressive trading, or buy and hold, we talk shop (stocks) and what we see. We bounce ideas and ask questions from one another. I'm obsessed with the market because it's a riddle inside an enigma. It challenges you everyday because there are no absolutes. Aggressive trading isn't 'THE WAY', but neither is buy and hold either. Please don't discourage those searching for knowledge and putting the work into learning another way to benefit themselves and their family. JMO, but your post came across in a negative tone.
I bleed maroon
AG
ProgN said:

You're right that the vast majority of daily posts favor active trading, but not all. It was just a couple of weeks ago that I posted 2-3 recs for 'LM Cane' that have strong fundamentals and the charts indicated good entry points. My post was directed towards him because he'd asked what we thought looked like good candidates for him. He posted that he was a buy and hold investor and had some cash that he wanted to put to work, not a trader.

Look, this thread is amazing because I've never seen something like it in almost 3 decades in the market. The information, advice, caution, experience, etc. that is shared freely everyday is truly special. No one advocates aggressive trading, or buy and hold, we talk shop (stocks) and what we see. We bounce ideas and ask questions from one another. I'm obsessed with the market because it's a riddle inside an enigma. It challenges you everyday because there is not absolutes. Aggressive trading isn't 'THE WAY', but neither is buy and hold either. Please don't discourage those searching for knowledge and putting the work into learning another way to benefit themselves and their family. JMO, but your post came across in a negative tone.
Prog: I am in no way questioning the value you bring to this thread. I find your posts especially well thought out, usually supported with solid fundamentals or a strong thesis, peppered with some thoughtful technical/trend analysis. You also usually caveat it with a risk assessment. In other words, you are in the running for best poster on this thread and your posts are a real asset to this board, and I personally get a lot out of them, even when I don't find them actionable.

My post certainly had no intention of being negative. I would call it "cautionary" and reality-based, and properly notes all the value this thread provides. I think the poster 59 South started a swing trades and longer term investing thread a while back to bring more attention to buy-and-hold opportunities that can get lost in this popular thread, which unfortunately fell by the wayside. The only part that I acknowledge is a bit negative is toward the original poster's behavior, who I believe has violated virtually all of the things I warned about above, in addition to using this thread as free promotion for his business. Even there, I think he added a lot of value and brought a different perspective.
ProgN
Thank you for the kind words and clarification. I love the fact that this thread remains positive and encouraging, it just seems pure to me as weird as that sounds. You, or anyone, highlighting risks are in the best interests of everyone, which I respect. We're good my friend and hope my post didn't come across in a negative tone either.
Heineken-Ashi
While fundamentals are an absolute must, especially for individual stocks, they by no means tell a clear picture of anything. At best, the provide an underlying justification for a move in sentiment. But fundamentals can't explain a stock selling off on good earnings, good news sending markets down, or why stubborn inflation and higher for longer rates have markets moving up right now while that very thought is what sent them down in 2022.

More than anything else, the stock market is moved by sentiment. And technical analysis provides many tools which very accurately gauge sentiment. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But by blending the technical with the fundamental and understanding where an instrument or index might be on the sentiment wave, you have a massive leg up against the fundamental follower who can't seem to understand why bad things happen to good stocks and good things happen to bad stocks.

Before you argue this, I challenge you to read the socioeconomic theory of finance by Robert Prechter. It goes piece by piece over all of the common misconceptions of what's moves markers and debunks them. The market is not linear, and if you are attempting to view it through a linear lens, you are will continue to scratch your head every single day.

EliteZags
AG
speaking of fundamentals, setting a limit order to dump of few of my remaining 2021 GME shares in case it hits $75 again tonight, maybe clear my cost basis and ride the rest to wherever this circus goes
sts7049
AG
i think you missed that window already. how is your cost basis still so high??
EliteZags
AG
meant exit my cost basis in shares and ride the house money
EliteZags
AG
actually just remembered I already exited it at $241 pre split May21 so they're already free shares
McInnis 03
AG
Bull**** CPI numbers yield ATHs across the board this morning
EnronAg
AG
gonna prop up this market with fake data for another 5 months...so just get used to it...
El_duderino
Retail sales 0% vs .4% est
Boy Named Sue
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Here's the RSI calcs for TOS. Make sure you have up signals and down signals turned on.

Heiny- my TV doesn't give me the same input options. I don't seem to have the "Plots" dropdown available, so I'm not seeing how I can add up/down signals or even set levels for overbought and oversold. Are you setting that up somewhere besides the Settings tab for RSI? Or maybe I'm just on a lower level subscription.
Spoony Love
AG
Look at all those gaps below.
First Page Last Page
Page 6443 of 6616

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.