Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,956,130 Views | 227834 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
El_duderino said:

Those of you that have been doing this for quite some time, is being afraid to lose money just as bad as being too greedy? I've now had 4-5 plays that I've had my order set, watching my indicators that are pointing in the right direction, and just haven't submitted the order out of fear of losing. It's now reached about $5,000 of lost opportunities in the past couple weeks for fear of losing.
You're dealing with FOMO. Pull up the market charts and see how far it went up during that time period. I'm still in a majority cash position because when it rolls over there's going to be a ton of stranded retail astronauts and I don't want to be one of them.
Chef Elko
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

It's almost AAPL time. Q's are depending on it.
APPLE, CARRY US TO 5000!
TheVarian
AG
What is special about UNFI?
Heineken-Ashi
If holding $423's for tomorrow, might want to exit today if you don't have a free ride. Q's would have to be at $425-$426 to do any better than they are now. It's certainly possible, but risk management says take your money and run, especially if you got in under $1.50 per contract.
E
AG
NOV

ProgN
I just bought 10 SPY 486p at $0.10 that expire tomorrow but should one of these bigs don't give a great outlook, then they could pay. I expect them to expire worthless but I'm just gambling with $100.
Chef Elko
AG
ProgN said:

El_duderino said:

Those of you that have been doing this for quite some time, is being afraid to lose money just as bad as being too greedy? I've now had 4-5 plays that I've had my order set, watching my indicators that are pointing in the right direction, and just haven't submitted the order out of fear of losing. It's now reached about $5,000 of lost opportunities in the past couple weeks for fear of losing.
You're dealing with FOMO. Pull up the market charts and see how far it went up during that time period. I'm still in a majority cash position because when it rolls over there's going to be a ton of stranded retail astronauts and I don't want to be one of them.
I've been stranded since 2021. Nobody is coming
ProgN
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Moved up UNFI stop to 15.30.
El Chupacabra
Brian Earl Spilner said:

UNFI
You can look at the chart spiking and pinpoint the time I sold calls against part of my position.
Heineken-Ashi
Boom?
Heineken-Ashi
BOOM!
fightintxag13
AG
AMZN beats estimates and META is adding a dividend as well as buying back $50 Billion of stock. That oughta jump start the markets for tomorrow.
Heineken-Ashi
Out of all but one call for tomorrow. META and AMZN sent Q's into my sell targets right after the bell.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
El_duderino said:

Read Trading in the Zone, it's all about shutting out noise and emotion and trading deliberately.
Also scared money don't make money
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Crude dropping. If we get a new low, a LOT of names are going to start entering the buy box for AT LEAST a retracement play up, and maybe even a buying opportunity not seen since COVID bottom (not in price, but in opportunity looking forward).

I saw a tweet about al jazeera reported something that tanked oil $3 instantly, then they retracted it? Anybody catch what they reported?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AAPL beats, instantly drops. Classic.
Bonfire.1996
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Crude dropping. If we get a new low, a LOT of names are going to start entering the buy box for AT LEAST a retracement play up, and maybe even a buying opportunity not seen since COVID bottom (not in price, but in opportunity looking forward).

I saw a tweet about al jazeera reported something that tanked oil $3 instantly, then they retracted it? Anybody catch what they reported?
Ceasefire in Gaza.
El_duderino
Thank you. Thats next on my reading list then.

Edit to add also picking up Mastering the Trade by John Carte that was mentioned in page 1 of this thread as well.
gggmann
AG
fightintxag13 said:

AMZN beats estimates and META is adding a dividend as well as buying back $50 Billion of stock. That oughta jump start the markets for tomorrow.
META up ~56 after hrs.
fightintxag13
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's because I don't own any AMZN or META, but I do own AAPL.
BoydCrowder13
fightintxag13 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's because I don't own any AMZN or META, but I do own AAPL.

Magnificent 7
Heineken-Ashi
Recap of the QQQ trades

Yesterday, market was choppy but pretty muted heading into FOMC. Saw a nice buildup and took a flyer on a couple different Q trades to take advantage, one trying to capture a quick FED reaction move, the other a FED + earnings + technical reset and continuation move.

Entered Jan 31 $424 calls at $0.30 each - quick move play
Entered Feb 2 $423 calls at $1.79 each - weekly play

With the initial FED spike, exited 75% of the Jan 31's for $0.61 each for 1.5x leaving a runner. Market dipped to new low and runner expired worthless, but successful play.

Sold 75% of the Feb 2's for $2.70 and small profit guaranteeing free ride on remaining. Held 25% runners overnight.
Waited all day, and when support held for the second time today, re-entered new 25% of original size for $1.35 each.
Set a sell target for end of day for all but one contract at $2.50. Triggered on first jump with AMZN earnings.
Waited until just before 3:15 extended close and sold the last one for $3.00 as I don't want to let overnight bears get a crack at it.

All in all, 1.5x and 1.55x on the trades.
BlueTaze
fightintxag13 said:

Jump start implies the markets haven't been moving. Could be a strong few days or week, but I'd fade in near term.

RCL above $130 is an area I'd get into puts couple months out.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
El_duderino said:

Thank you. Thats next on my reading list then.

Edit to add also picking up Mastering the Trade by John Carte that was mentioned in page 1 of this thread as well.

There's basically nothing technical in Trading in the Zone, he repeatedly describes traders who got worse the more they learned, the point being that you can't possibly consume and effectively use every data point influencing the market at any given time, so don't try. Find a system that works for you, learn to define and accept risk, go for it when you see your entry, bail when the play falls apart, move onto the next one. Basically 200 pages of reinforcing the same stuff you see prog, 30k and fj post here repeatedly, but the explanations and strategies in the book were helpful to me
El_duderino
That's what I gathered from the summary about it being psychological. I'd consider it a worthwhile $20 investment though
fightintxag13
AG
BlueTaze said:

fightintxag13 said:

Jump start implies the markets haven't been moving. Could be a strong few days or week, but I'd fade in near term.

RCL above $130 is an area I'd get into puts couple months out.

I was saying that more along the lines of "a bull must be fed everyday"…we found the food for tomorrow.
Spoony Love
AG
NOV actual of 1.51 beats .41 estimate. We will see what their guidance is tomorrow morning. But that seems like a pretty healthy beat.

480% increase over same period last year.
Philip J Fry
AG
Anyone else in APP and SA with me? I sold my APP for a quick 20% but yesterdays -10% day is putting it back in the buy region for me.
bhanacik
AG
https://time.com/6590155/bitcoin-mining-noise-texas/

Interesting read on living near a bitcoin mine in Granbury
Heineken-Ashi
QCOM - If this can hold $135, I think it has a trip up to $170 in the coming months. Below $135 and it starts to enter into a potential chop zone and I really wouldn't want to stomach it. But bounce above that, take out the previous high, and good things can happen.
Heineken-Ashi
UEC - Buy any dips into March earnings. I see $13-$16 in the next 3 months.
Heineken-Ashi
Similarly, if URA can continue its push up, I see $40-$45.
Heineken-Ashi
Watch RDFN. Bring up an hourly chart going back to August. Draw supply zones based on the following parameters. If it can get over $9.10, which has been a consistent supply zone for the last two weeks, it should continue into the next supply zone between $10 and $10.50 with a final resistance point at $11.00. Once it's above $11, it has free reign with a target area anywhere between $13 and $19 with the most resistance concentrated between $15.50 and $17.75.

Demand has come in solidly at $8.15 over the past weeks but the bottom of the immediate lower demand zone is $7.30.
ProgN
That's a huge jobs number!

If it wasn't for AMZN, META, etc earnings last night, this market would be down bigly.

U.S. economy added 353,000 jobs in January, much better than expected (cnbc.com)

Quote:

Job growth posted a surprise increase in January, demonstrating again that the U.S. labor market is solid and poised to support broader economic growth.

Nonfarm payrolls expanded by 353,000 for the month, much better than the Dow Jones estimate for 185,000, the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday. The unemployment rate held at 3.7%, against the estimate for 3.8%.
First Page Last Page
Page 6289 of 6510

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.