Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

23,984,450 Views | 231561 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Heineken-Ashi
wanderer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From a math perspective yes you are correct, but there's a big negative connotation associated with reverse splits. The split is often (ESPECIALLY in a leveraged ETF) self-defeating as the stock is subject to more and more downward pressure.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean if a reverse split happens it obviously indicates the price has continued to tumble, but people make it sound like the reverse split itself is what will kill your investment.
ProgN
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean if a reverse split happens it obviously indicates the price has continued to tumble, but people make it sound like the reverse split itself is what will kill your investment.
Not sure if it applies to leverage ETFs but historically, stocks that split tend to go higher while stocks that reverse split continue to go lower.
wanderer
I don't think people are indicating that. I think it's more that they're cautioning of the mindset that "it can't go that much lower, now must be a great time to buy" when in reality the reverse split (which has occurred quite a few times with BOIL) allows for continued decay (which if you don't understand the decay part, then you shouldn't be touching BOIL) as many have try to caution.
irish pete ag06
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The orange line is crude oil futures prices

The bar chart is UCO, a leveraged oil ETF. A reverse split can cause your investment to never recover. During the covid crash that saw oil trade at negative futures prices, UCO went through a 25/1 split.
techno-ag
AG
ProgN said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not sure if it applies to leverage ETFs but historically, stocks that split tend to go higher while stocks that reverse split continue to go lower.
BOIL follows Henry Hub though. I agree it will RS if it gets too low, but if the hub prices skyrocket later, BOIL will follow.

It's a fun one to watch. Got tax info today and I can say BOIL was good to me last year.
irish pete ag06
AG
Great day trade and swing trade devices, but not a great long term hold.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But decay is the culprit. Obviously it's not a good long term investment and the longer you hold the more unlikely to ever recover your investment.

But I'm still not in agreement that the reverse split has anything to do with that. The plummeting price of the underlying commodity and the decay alone will do that even if the reverse split never happens.

You're making it sound like a tail wagging the dog. (Reverse split being the tail.)
irish pete ag06
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

But decay is the culprit. Obviously it's not a good long term investment and the longer you hold the more unlikely to ever recover your investment.

But I'm still not in agreement that the reverse split has anything to do with that. The plummeting price of the underlying commodity and the decay alone will do that even if the reverse split never happens.

You're making it sound like a tail wagging the dog. (Reverse split being the tail.)
I was just trying to demonstrate how decay works. Reverse splits are a by-product of decay as well as price changes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got it. In agreement then. I guess your first post about the skyrocketing cost basis threw me a bit.
irish pete ag06
AG
Yes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
While we're on BOIL, it's spent most of February in the channel of 5.70-6.70. It's currently nearly back down to the bottom of that channel.

Will be interesting to see if bounces again from here.
Philip J Fry
AG
Agreed. I've done pretty well buying in the 5s and then selling in the 6.40 range.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Just looking now. It appears that market makers are feasting upon your premium.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Brewmaster
AG
hold it forever and just see what happens, lol
Dan Scott
AG
Looks like for 3rd time this week market gaps down lower and closer substantially higher. 4090ish is effing strong.
TheVarian
AG
We may have discussed this before (good ol' Pelosi's) but does anyone trade based off of those trades?
txaggie_08
AG
I was wondering the same. How quickly is it public knowledge what they trade?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
36 has to go on SPX for upside.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
perma Brew doomster said:

hold it forever and just see what happens, lol
Uh, I guess you didn't actually read my post?
irish pete ag06
AG
Bullard just tried to send the market down.
ProgN
What did he say? He didn't try, it looks like he did.
jj9000
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Bullard just tried to send the market down.
Powell should have followed his lead early last year...and onward.
techno-ag
AG
ProgN said:

What did he say? He didn't try, it looks like he did.
Looks like a come to Jesus moment re inflation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-02-16/fed-s-bullard-open-to-half-point-rate-hike-at-next-meeting
ProgN
Thanks
palogrande-ag
Dan Scott said:

Looks like for 3rd time this week market gaps down lower and closer substantially higher. 4090ish is effing strong.
shall we go for round 4? hold or does it give
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Tempted to try small lotto long here.
Dan Scott
AG

Boy Named Sue
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Tempted to try small lotto long here.

Whatcha thinkin?
gougler08
AG
Dan Scott said:

I wouldn't rule out supporting it...what a non-answer
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Lol bought expiring xsp 412p for .15 at 1:30, sold for .8 at 2:15. Then they went over $2 itm. Oops
Edit...so ashamed of my paper hands
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
4110/4130/4150 butterfly lotto.
Dan Scott
AG
palogrande-ag said:

Dan Scott said:

shall we go for round 4? hold or does it give

My guess it bounces. I think next week is when we break down or up. I can see with mox things being weird tomorrow
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Not gonna work most likely
Boy Named Sue
AG
4110 alone would've been a nice move. Up 66% a few minutes after you posted
First Page Last Page
Page 5990 of 6617

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.