Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,049,044 Views | 231657 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by Cru
Triple_Bagger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Foamcows said:

Triple_Bagger said:

Foamcows said:

Foamcows said:

Anyone else here monitoring $ZIM? been invested in it for quite some time, and been cost averaging it down as it drops, but its starting to get extremely painful and I am wondering if I am missing some red flags?
ugh another terrible day, down 7.8%... any tips on when to let something die, versus when to keep buying in? right now my average cost is 34.00 and this is trading at 17.75... its a great opportunity to get more shares at half off, but if this thing is headed for a cliff...
It really depends if you're trading or investing and what you think the future value of the company will be.

If you're an investor, then you should be happy to buy at a 50% discount from where you started buying.

If you're a trader, then it's more complicated. You should have a stop price in mind when you buy. Down 50% should be well below your stop price. The decision to average down depends if there are better opportunities for your money or not.
good way to think about it... based on the criteria, i would say I'm on the investor side, but starting to worry if i missed some red flags in the financials... they are sitting on nearly 5 billion in cash and cratering for reasons i cant seem to understand.

Happy to buy more but just wondering what others are seeing to make them run away...
Can anyone else chime in here on ZIM? I don't know much about the company but their cash on hand is higher than market cap and have a 156% dividend.......crazy.
South Platte
Foamcows said:

Foamcows said:

Anyone else here monitoring $ZIM? been invested in it for quite some time, and been cost averaging it down as it drops, but its starting to get extremely painful and I am wondering if I am missing some red flags?
ugh another terrible day, down 7.8%... any tips on when to let something die, versus when to keep buying in? right now my average cost is 34.00 and this is trading at 17.75... its a great opportunity to get more shares at half off, but if this thing is headed for a cliff...

JK . . . what Triple Bagger said . . .
irish pete ag06
AG
Brewmaster
AG
What do you make of TLT being up again... yet markets don't seem to care yet.
BaylorSpineGuy
perma Brew doomster said:

Recession is imminent. Safer move to buy bonds/risk appetite.

I moved my 401K to bonds a week or so back. Moved it when yield was about 3.71. It's now about 3.41 or so. Price going up! I'm up pretty good so far.

Not sure what will happen after next rate hike announced. My guess is it'll drop a bit and offer another good opportunity to enter (but I'm not entirely sure). The front end of the curve (2yr note) is hovering at the neckline (now 4.26). Below that, the 2 yr will drop in yield (bond price increase).

The real money in bonds is not made in the yield, it's made in the bond price!

My good friend and mentor in investing ($30K millionaire met him recently) has bought $15M in long term govt bonds (25yr treasury note) in the last month. I'm learning about bonds quite a bit, and he's writing a book on them. Lol
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
....and the crude price is falling, and folks say there is demand destruction, and a strong dollar, and a build of finished products, and Russian oil has no where to go, and JB is going to refill the SPR at sub $70 and the list goes on and on and on.. Take a good look at that Twitter chart.

All I know is, the S&D does not lie (sans the case of the EIA not publishing 2 reports in July and the ongoing monthly "adjustments") and it shows we are in a worldwide crude Short.

Side Note: Reuters story that the U.K. is getting a new coal mine. Climate Change anyone?
Philip J Fry
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Y'all all are always saying gaps get filled, so maybe it goes all the way back to $35 soon. Here's hoping.

BOIL fills gaps with gaps.
Brewmaster
AG
interesting stuff! I've read that Russian oil, despite "nowhere to go" is bought by middle men. It's picked up by tankers and sold wherever the demand is and sold as whatever oil they want to say it is. Oil coyotes!
Brewmaster
AG
ZIM was an M4 Benelli find I do believe. Maybe he can chime in, he'd know a lot more than me. and his posts are better writing than anything you can buy on a news stand!
Buck Compton
AG
It definitely is sold on the black market. Including eventually at US ports.

SPR oil is also sold below market price to have an even more outsized impact on prices.
FJ43
Philip J Fry said:

I usually buy DNN around $1 and then sell at 1.25. Rinse and repeat.
Bought today at 1.07. Will add at 1.00

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Brewmaster
AG

interesting stuff! I've read that Russian oil, despite "nowhere to go" is bought by middle men. It's picked up by tankers and sold wherever the demand is and sold as whatever oil they want to say it is. Oil coyotes!

Russian oil will go to Asia non-G7 signers, India, China and Turkey. The rest will find shadow fleets, international water transfers and a host of more fringe trails. The India and China purchase can be refined/repackaged and resold to Europe. Those extra freight moves will be costly.

A more current note is that Russian exports are on pace to see a 50% reduction. Dont let that number mislead you. The reduction is based on "tracked" shipments. Untracked will obviously move "untracked".

China has to working a deal via OPEC+ for Russian crude with Chinese economy opening up.

IMO, what JB is doing in energy is price suppression at the expense of the U.S. Oil Industry so he can help EU...only to keep the Globalist Green Energy play working. If Joe and EU can squeeze through the next 12 to 24 months without people freezing and politicians not having to admit to Energy policy mistakes, they feel they can win hearts & minds.

There is a reason Freeport is not being allowed to open up and it's not a "safety" reason.

Bad winter weather changes in EU coming over next 14 days. EU at 90% LNG storage capacity, alledgedly. We'll see what happens.

Crude is needed. Crude is short. The bears in the crude market are fierce but if you engage with them long enough you'll find they are liberals because S&D facts dont register with them. At least that's what I have uncovered so far.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/oil-markets-bearish-downside-limited-010000641.html

Great article. About an hour old. Last sentence of article. That's bullish when coupled with OPEC+ cuts. Lot of crude coming out of market. In the past, Fed used expensive energy as a tool to help bring an economy under control. Currently, everyone is talking bearishly about oil. Cheap oil/energy does not slow a growing economy or one with high inflation. World is upside down in thinking. Lot of talk about reduced energy consumption if there is a recession. Been sayin and I'll continue saying, better hope like hell there is reduced consumption in a potential forthcoming recession because there isn't any supply to keep up with demand and demand is growing. Supply continues to shrink....and that's bearish? Yeah, right. Again, remove the SPR 227 million barrels from the 2022 S&D and tell me where this over supply exists. I cant find it and I dont see demand declining. Or, better stated, supply is shrinking faster than demand...demand that has not been shrinking.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
That 3920 level has been nails. Too many more touches and we are going down.
jamey
AG
BaylorSpineGuy said:

I moved my 401K to bonds a week or so back. Moved it when yield was about 3.71. It's now about 3.41 or so. Price going up! I'm up pretty good so far.

Not sure what will happen after next rate hike announced. My guess is it'll drop a bit and offer another good opportunity to enter (but I'm not entirely sure). The front end of the curve (2yr note) is hovering at the neckline (now 4.26). Below that, the 2 yr will drop in yield (bond price increase).

My good friend and mentor in investing ($30K millionaire met him recently) has bought $15M in long term govt bonds (25yr treasury note) in the last month. I'm learning about bonds quite a bit, and he's writing a book on them. Lol

I was thinking about changing my future contributions in my 401K to broad market bonds fund.

I've recently moved about 25% of my total 401K value into a stable value fund.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Y'all all are always saying gaps get filled, so maybe it goes all the way back to $35 soon. Here's hoping.

BOIL fills gaps with gaps.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Charismatic Megafauna said:

I just went ahead and grabbed a 394c for tomorrow

I took the easy 20% on this. We'll probably get the gap up tomorrow

Grrr
M4 Benelli
Triple_Bagger said:

Foamcows said:

Triple_Bagger said:

Foamcows said:

Foamcows said:

It really depends if you're trading or investing and what you think the future value of the company will be.

If you're an investor, then you should be happy to buy at a 50% discount from where you started buying.

If you're a trader, then it's more complicated. You should have a stop price in mind when you buy. Down 50% should be well below your stop price. The decision to average down depends if there are better opportunities for your money or not.
good way to think about it... based on the criteria, i would say I'm on the investor side, but starting to worry if i missed some red flags in the financials... they are sitting on nearly 5 billion in cash and cratering for reasons i cant seem to understand.

Happy to buy more but just wondering what others are seeing to make them run away...
Can anyone else chime in here on ZIM? I don't know much about the company but their cash on hand is higher than market cap and have a 156% dividend.......crazy.

This stock is more dead than a Blue City Voter. Ive been a been proponent of this stock when the tailwinds were waving flags pointed towards shore of booty n plunder. Now the only plunder would be one's port set asunder, with the booty being the puckered one you possess whilst teeth clenching red day upon red day. If you want booty, wait for a Prog gif, cuz this stock isnt going to give it to you. If only they planned on buying back their shares, then id greenlight em. May get a quarterly bottom fairly soon, but this isnt a long term hold by any stretch. GSL better long term shipping play, but all in all I wouldnt even bother with shipping. Remember China being closed is a positive catalyst, supply chain positive catalyst, etcetera. Dont fall in love with stocks and no when to fold. Sorry to the cat that's holding at 34. This company owns little in way of assets, and all that cash isnt going anywhere except to Davy Jones' locker.
Triple_Bagger
EXPR up 65% premarket after missing earnings estimates. Is it meme season again?

I'm going to sellout of EXPR today after accumulating quite a bit in the 1.20s over the last few months.
THEKingKong
BaylorSpineGuy said:

Why would I buy bonds when I can sell puts at much lower prices and collect premium while I'm waiting for stocks/etfs to drop? Bonds you are locked in.
techno-ag
AG
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/oil-markets-bearish-downside-limited-010000641.html

Great article. About an hour old. Last sentence of article. That's bullish when coupled with OPEC+ cuts. Lot of crude coming out of market. In the past, Fed used expensive energy as a tool to help bring an economy under control. Currently, everyone is talking bearishly about oil. Cheap oil/energy does not slow a growing economy or one with high inflation. World is upside down in thinking. Lot of talk about reduced energy consumption if there is a recession. Been sayin and I'll continue saying, better hope like hell there is reduced consumption in a potential forthcoming recession because there isn't any supply to keep up with demand and demand is growing. Supply continues to shrink....and that's bearish? Yeah, right. Again, remove the SPR 227 million barrels from the 2022 S&D and tell me where this over supply exists. I cant find it and I dont see demand declining. Or, better stated, supply is shrinking faster than demand...demand that has not been shrinking.
And Keystone pipeline leak in Nebraska sends futures up. So it begins, maybe.
BaylorSpineGuy
THEKingKong said:

BaylorSpineGuy said:

Why would I buy bonds when I can sell puts at much lower prices and collect premium while I'm waiting for stocks/etfs to drop? Bonds you are locked in.

Bonds are tradeable. What do you think moves the yield? Look at TNX. A tradeable security. If you continue to sell premium, yes you will make money but your asset price will be lower (although your DCA/dollar cost average may or may not be enough to have you profitable).

My 401K is passively managed and is just a selection of different asset types. I can't trade options in my 401K. Bonds make good sense and bond price will probably close to double in next 1-2 yrs.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BOIL just flipped in pre.
techno-ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

BOIL just flipped in pre.
The only way I suffer with BOIL is if it stays in the 20s all winter. It's possible I suppose.
THEKingKong
THEKingKong said:

BaylorSpineGuy said:

Why would I buy bonds when I can sell puts at much lower prices and collect premium while I'm waiting for stocks/etfs to drop? Bonds you are locked in for a lousy 3% return. The reality is no one can time the market and if you were constantly switching in and out of funds within your 401(k), you are not going to be better off in the long run. Even though the market is projected to be flat for the next several years at the very least You are still going to come out of head. If you continue to dollar cost average into the same funds, you've been contributing to over the last several years. Switching to a stable value fund just isn't going to help you unless you are less than 10 years away from retirement, then I could see something like that Also, don't listen to a financial advisor they will not beat the market. Don't invest in mutual funds. They will eat at your returns and if you are knowledgeable enough and put in enough work to know what you're doing, open a separate brokerage account outside of retirement and learn how to value an individual stock. don't just buy the stock outright instead sell puts at much much lower prices with stocks that you want to own .
THEKingKong
BaylorSpineGuy said:

THEKingKong said:

BaylorSpineGuy said:

Bonds are tradeable. What do you think moves the yield? Look at TNX. A tradeable security. If you continue to sell premium, yes you will make money but your asset price will be lower (although your DCA/dollar cost average may or may not be enough to have you profitable).

My 401K is passively managed and is just a selection of different asset types. I can't trade options in my 401K. Bonds make good sense and bond price will probably close to double in next 1-2 yrs.

See my edited post. Unless you are less than 10 years from retirement, do not invest in bonds. whoever sold you on that concept is depriving you of returns, and they are most likely a financial advisor. Again, unless retirement is right around the corner for you diversifying a portion of your retirement into bonds just does not make good long-term sense. You are better off just keeping it in cash if that is what you want to do.
THEKingKong
THEKingKong said:

THEKingKong said:

BaylorSpineGuy said:

Why would I buy bonds when I can sell puts at much lower prices and collect premium while I'm waiting for stocks/etfs to drop? Bonds you are locked in for a lousy 3% return. The reality is no one can time the market and if you were constantly switching in and out of funds within your 401(k), you are not going to be better off in the long run. Even though the market is projected to be flat for the next several years at the very least You are still going to come out ahead dollar cost averaging into the same funds you have been contributing to over the years. Switching to a stable value fund just isn't going to help you unless you are less than 10 years away from retirement, then I could see something like that Also, don't listen to a financial advisor they will not beat the market. Don't invest in mutual funds. They will eat at your returns and if you are knowledgeable enough and put in enough work to know what you're doing, open a separate brokerage account outside of retirement and learn how to value an individual stock. don't just buy the stock outright instead sell puts at much much lower prices with stocks that you want to own .

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BOIL in gap territory.
BaylorSpineGuy
I'm not sure. My bonds are up 6%+ in a week. The 60/40 thing I had most of it in has been horrible, and the SPX is gonna probably fall to low 3000s within next 1-2 months.

This is a 1-2 yr move for me, and I'm very content with it. I'll rotate back into SP500 index at a better price.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I paperhanded some 3965C, but green is green.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I actually have a different view on bonds. I think they have real upside because they have been so beaten down.

Saying it differently, I think BSG is long bonds not long yield.

Triple_Bagger
I Bonds paying 10% would like a word
BaylorSpineGuy
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I actually have a different view on bonds. I think they have real upside because they have been so beaten down.

Saying it differently, I think BSG is long bonds not long yield.

Bingo! And thanks for helping clarify.

Hope you're well. Dr L and all of us wanna get together again sometime. Maybe after holidays.

Cheers and hope you're well!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I paperhanded some 3965C, but green is green.

I bought at 4.4 and sold at 5.4

Ugh.
First Page Last Page
Page 5871 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.