Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,016,412 Views | 231616 Replies | Last: 50 min ago by ProgN
BaylorSpineGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dealer positioning. I don't understand all the mechanics but it's basically burning the shorts. Bear traps galore. Run in and out of the forest without getting eaten. Irish Pete has been crushing that lately. Has me jealous.
BrokeAssAggie
going to hold a net free $283 QQQ call overnight to see if we rip tomorrow.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Green on the day.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Not to get too into the weeds or political, but I just saw the Conoco's Alaskan Slope project is getting more of the same treatment from politicians impeding oil and gas development. A US district court blocked the $6B project a year ago and recently the US Bureau of Land Management released a draft Enviro Impact statement saying the climate analysis
Quote:

failed to consider downstream foreign emissions resulting from the consumption of oil produced by the project

The project is still on hold, with over a years delay pending environmental approval. This is a microcosm of how politicians and this administration have impeded development. Apparently oil produced in Iran, Saudi, Russia, or China is fine when consumed, but consumption of oil produced in the US needs to be further evaluated.
irish pete ag06
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

going to hold a net free $283 QQQ call overnight to see if we rip tomorrow.
This is the biggest problem with trading a small account like mine. I'm not afforded the opportunity to leave a runner unless I just get something that absolutely explodes. I'm usually 3... maybe 4 contracts deep and I scale profits super early.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm fine with taking my 1-3% per day and getting out of dodge. It will be nice when I can buy double or triple the amount of contracts I usually do becuase it will be much easier to go net free and just let it ride.

I will just keep sniping for now unless I just get a stupid move.

BrokeAssAggie
I am not trading with a large account either. I need to be more disciplined like you!! I have been trading SPY and Q options looking at or near the money. Usually in the $1 to $2 per contract range, I will buy 4 to 6 contracts and try to get net free on 1. I like your spreadsheet!
BaylorSpineGuy
Italian PM Draghi offered resignation. Macron may be next. Britain PM just resigned. Is this unprecedented in European history?

German chancellor must be feeling the squeeze too with their pending winter disaster coming.

This geopolitical tension is at a fever pitch. Also why I feel hard to trade upside markets likely don't care much if a PM resigns but these things can swell rapidly and destabilize a continent. That could move the markets.

Interesting evening fodder for sure.
sts7049
AG
F16, barnes.
Ranger222
AG
The All In guys did a deep dive today on what is going on in Sri Lanka and instability in emerging/frontier markets....definitely something to keep an eye on as we don't know or can't anticipate what the cascading effects will be
Brewmaster
AG
yep, completely political and all about EV. From what I gather, all about pumping up China's bottom line on future EV production (including batteries). They have cornered the market and want the whole world to drive an EV.
BaylorSpineGuy
My understanding is that their crop yield was a dud because some central planner made them use some garbage organicSeeds or some crap and it ruined a year's crop. I'm sure it's deeper than that but that's at least one explanation I heard.

But as you said, hard to predict if these things cascade into more instability. That's typically how to works. Nothing happens in a bubble.
irish pete ag06
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

I am not trading with a large account either. I need to be more disciplined like you!! I have been trading SPY and Q options looking at or near the money. Usually in the $1 to $2 per contract range, I will buy 4 to 6 contracts and try to get net free on 1. I like your spreadsheet!
I am trading pretty much only SPY and QQQ too... at or near the money. I typically try to buy at demand/supply and sell when it bounces or rejects. I have been taking small profits. I think my biggest winner over this entire run I've had has been 30% on one contract. Almost all other wins are in the 3-8% range.
BrokeAssAggie
That's a great approach. I need to be tighter with my stops. I have gotten burned a few times.
irish pete ag06
AG
I'd like to add that fintwit was a huge reason why I failed early so much with options. I didn't think you took profit until it turned into a 50% or 100% win. Taking that approach with day trading weeklies is awful. I finally said to myself, you would take an 8% win a stock you have swung, so why would you turn your nose up at 8% in a few minutes.

This has really helped me.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
When we have less market volatility, targeting 50% to 100% gains on options winners isn't unreasonable. Usually a wide stop as well of 20% or more. But that doesn't work in this market. Adapt or die.
ProgN
irish pete ag06 said:

BrokeAssAggie said:

I am trading pretty much only SPY and QQQ too... at or near the money. I typically try to buy at demand/supply and sell when it bounces or rejects. I have been taking small profits. I think my biggest winner over this entire run I've had has been 30% on one contract. Almost all other wins are in the 3-8% range.
You posted earlier that you're on an 11 trade win streak in a vicious bear market, can you see how the singles add up and will grow your account?
BrokeAssAggie
Really can. I'm shooting to average $200 a day in profit. I was swinging for the fences and kept striking out.
irish pete ag06
AG
ProgN said:

irish pete ag06 said:

BrokeAssAggie said:

You posted earlier that you're on an 11 trade win streak in a vicious bear market, can you see how the singles add up and will grow your account?

Absolutely!
Spoony Love
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

BrokeAssAggie said:

What days to expiration are you using? Further out to avoid volatility or same week expiry to use volatility.
FJ43

Hola Amigos !

Love reading about you SPY & Q scalping degenerates. Like Prog said take the singles and doubles. They add up and in a traders market take your money. Greed kills.

Only traded what I posted Monday on SPY both directions while driving and managed to get one in today off alerts between meetings. Maybe I'll drive trade the open tomorrow. If not I'll catch one mid day.

Miss the sandbox with y'all. This is an awesome scalping market.

Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

ProgN

A little humor for our cowboys in the clubhouse.
FJ43
irish pete ag06 said:

I'd like to add that fintwit was a huge reason why I failed early so much with options. I didn't think you took profit until it turned into a 50% or 100% win. Taking that approach with day trading weeklies is awful. I finally said to myself, you would take an 8% win a stock you have swung, so why would you turn your nose up at 8% in a few minutes.

This has really helped me.
Congrats on the trading. Your disciplined approach (most of all) combined with defining a specific strategy that works for you is probably what's turned the corner for you. Nothing like seat time, and losses, to learn those things.

Enjoy seeing your updates. Keep it up!
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

FJ43
Tip for y'all scalping intraday.

Rather than trying for net free options on volatile weeklies (the current market), trim into resistance (or support) then set a tighter trailing stop green.

No reason to let that profit dwindle. You can buy back again on a dip or rip.

If I trade monthly 30+ days out I will trim some and sometimes keep some net free. But I still set a trailing stop just a little more room.

As always for me if loses key support or rejects as resistance just get out. It's just a trade.

lobwedgephil
BaylorSpineGuy said:

I find I'm not a good countertrend trader. Need to work on this aspect of my trading. Bear setups are fairly obvious and I've done decently well trading the downside.

I find myself distrustful of these rallies because I believe company multiples are severely elevated - that's another debate - and a large correction is needed to restore normalcy. There's no planet where monthly rent is $5000 for an apartment (June '22 in NYC) where a correction in asset prices isn't warranted. Don't know if that will come.

Anyway, I didn't trend the upward direction today even though the gains would've been very nice. Need to learn to trade the bull side and bull set ups.

Anyway, just rambling. Hope everyone made dinner money tonight. I made my $1000 this morning and have enjoyed from the sidelines.
You really need to check the bias at the door in trading. You are a bear, and the trend is down, which is good. But some of the biggest rallies in market history were in bear markets. If you are day trading, who cares about fundamentals, the big picture.

Price action is king, let that be your guide.
irish pete ag06
AG
I use 0 DTE sparingly and only early in the morning. I typically trade the next one out on SPY or QQQ, so typically 1-2 DTE.

If and when I decide I want to hold longer I will go out further to the 5-9 DTEs. I haven't done this much because I haven't wanted to hold for long or overnight.

I have switched to using the active trade setup on webull on my phone. It encourages me to act fast and there's a "Close" button that closes all of your contracts. I don't use hard stops at the moment because that button gives me the eject button if I need it. I've also used it a few times to close on a rip and take my $ and run.
irish pete ag06
AG
That elicited a good chuckle. Got my kids asking me what's so funny.
ProgN
irish pete ag06 said:

That elicited a good chuckle. Got my kids asking me what's so funny.
In all honesty, it took me a moment to figure it out because horses weren't my thing, but I knew our resident vets, Farmer and other guys in here would get a laugh.
irish pete ag06
AG
Thanks FJ43. That means a lot!

Yes. Limiting my approach to just SPY and QQQ and keeping consistence in the DTE and approach has helped tons. I am by no means back to even in my options trading career, but it actually feels like I'm gonna end up in the black in this game in the long run, now.
irish pete ag06
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I debated on posting this one of course haha. Like I said. Full disclosure. Now like I also said this is plankton sized so I'm not gaining or losing life changing $ here (thankfully).

5 steps forward 10 steps back.

Had puts that would have went 1000% but I got stopped out. Flipped to calls. Averaged down. Real job pulled me away suddenly. Came back down pretty bad. Should have cut but didn't. Averaged down. Ended up cutting for a huge loss. Basically broke about 50% of my rules on position size and averaging down. This was QQQ 0DTE.

Dumbest **** I've done in a long time.

Anyways, I'm not out. I will keep trading. And once again this is why I keep my trading account plankton sized.

Bumping this to remind myself and others around this is easy to let happen if you get too cocky or decide to YOLO the full port, etc.

I know a red day is coming to end this streak, my sole goal is to make it small and nothing like what happened on May 20.
Philip J Fry
AG
That's pretty much my 401k since January.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
BrokeAssAggie said:

Really can. I'm shooting to average $200 a day in profit. I was swinging for the fences and kept striking out.

My goal has been $1300 per day profit, but that's been tough to get consistent recently. For example, I had a little over that yesterday morning and then gave 2/3 of it back on that really great TSLA setup that ripped hearts out when it reversed.

I have still had difficulties avoiding some losing trades, but I have been much more consistently green on the daily P/L. Often it's pretty small, though. I'm starting to pay more attention to RSI and MAs of RSI to help avoid getting bit on momentum reversals especially with TSLA options. That has helped. I've also almost entirely eliminated loto plays, holding for large returns, or holding anything overnight in my trading account.
gig em 02
So, is China and the whole world crashing tomorrow?
BaylorSpineGuy
Because of the GDP miss?
lobwedgephil
Crash is over the weekend.

irish pete ag06
AG
lobwedgephil said:

Crash is over the weekend.

Oh my... Black Monday!
First Page Last Page
Page 5557 of 6618

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.