Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,106,704 Views | 224617 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by bmoochie
badharambe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
never heard of nicotine salts so do not know the market there.....but why not just directly invest in cannabis companies?
aunuwyn08
AG
Nicotine salts are basically what JUUL is. Also, the idea is that when weed becomes legal in the US Altria has an unprecedented amount of infrastructure and market power to dominate the domestic cannabis industry. Altria also owns a 10% stake in Anheuser-Busch InBev. So Altria is really about to become a index fund of vice products.
IrishTxAggie
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

Nicotine salts are basically what JUUL is. Also, the idea is that when weed becomes legal in the US Altria has an unprecedented amount of infrastructure and market power to dominate the domestic cannabis industry. Altria also owns a 10% stake in Anheuser-Busch InBev. So Altria is really about to become a index fund of vice products.
Here is my concern with JUUL and the likes:
Though I think they are safe for now from the huge lawsuits, with the FDA coming out with their work against vapes access to kids, I think it is telling of the future. I can honestly see the vape companies being what the tobacco companies were in 98 with the master settlement. The work and hypothesis is already being established with regards to the vapes being a cause of "Popcorn Lung" and in 25-30 years when you have these people that have been vaping since they were 15 or 16, it will be telling. Also the use of a good bit of propylene glycol in the flavored vapes. Those people are literally inhaling a antifreeze. Yes, I know it is allowed to carry a "non-toxic" label, but so are a lot of other things that people don't typically ingest.
gougler08
AG
A few scattershot thoughts:

ALGN seems to be continuing off the breakout type move yesterday...like it to start to retrace in to that gap over the next couple weeks

TWTR looks like it has flagged off after the $4-5 gain over the past 2 weeks

SPX still in that sharp upward wedge that someone posted a few weeks back...going to break one way or the other soon as it's running out of room
ProgN
IrishTxAggie
AG
But at what strike? $11 seems to have the most open interest in the quick browse I did. Running between $.35-.45 right now.
ProgN
Didn't say so I tweeted them.
tailgatetimer10
AG
SQ is back
ProgN
IrishTxAggie said:

But at what strike? $11 seems to have the most open interest in the quick browse I did. Running between $.35-.45 right now.
gougler08
AG
So what do we think on NFLX today? Profit take before the earnings or let it ride
Ragoo
AG
Bought a call yesterday. Gamble at best.
AggiePeeps06
AG
Same here. Bought a $380 Jan 18 call. Will sell tomorrow morning either way.
AggiePeeps06
AG
But being up 30% this month feels like there's more downside than upside. We'll see
Ragoo
AG
AggiePeeps06 said:

Same here. Bought a $380 Jan 18 call. Will sell tomorrow morning either way.
bought 352.50. I have a 50% stop loss in place. Horn high yo.
Gordon McKernan
Is now a good time to pick up some more AAPL?
FHUAggie
Gordon McKernan said:

Is now a good time to pick up some more AAPL?

Fox Business this AM was saying that it's a "screaming buy" if they get the tarrif/trade shenanigans out of the way to create more stability for the Asian suppliers.

I'm not Ranger, OA, Prog, badharambe, etc, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't been thinking about jumping in now for the long haul. The medical arena is an exciting area they'll be further innovating into and their services side is still pretty strong if my understanding is correct.
IrishTxAggie
AG
The medical comment reminded me of one that was thrown around a bit, but haven't heard much mention of lately. Anyone here in on TDOC?
WestTexAg12
AG
Just looked at them. They've done well this month. Haven't looked into them much though besides performance
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
ProgN
Big volume buys hitting ROKU right now.
khkman22
AG
gougler08 said:

So what do we think on NFLX today? Profit take before the earnings or let it ride
I want to guess that even with positive earnings it will be a sell the news event, but not really willing to gamble on it. Instead, I'm thinking about seeing what pre-market is tomorrow and taking an opposite direction stance at opening for tomorrow expiration. Thinking something like a pop to $390 and see what a $365-370 put costs. Or a drop to $310 and see what a $325-330 call costs.

It would still be a guess, but if it is one Old Army is watching tomorrow morning and has a feeling on, it might be a cheaper lotto ticket than trying to guess today.

One thought behind me really wanting to buy a put is that everybody is expecting a big quarter and maybe they know they're not going to hit expectations. But they've already addressed that with their fee increase. Of course that's really just a WAG trying to support my pessimistic stance due to the rapid increase since 1/1.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Quote:

One thought behind me really wanting to buy a put is that everybody is expecting a big quarter and maybe they know they're not going to hit expectations. But they've already addressed that with their fee increase. Of course that's really just a WAG trying to support my pessimistic stance due to the rapid increase since 1/1.

I think the fee increase announcement time was a bit odd and an attempt to put a cushion in on what may be considered "less than good, but not bad" quarter. The timing was just weird to me.
badharambe
AG
ahhh. makes sense. any company that is invested in the vices is nice primarily because its typically thought of as recession resistant.

imo, (and I'm definitely the cannabis fanatic on this board, so take with a grain of salt) I still think high quality, undervalued cannabis players are a better investment than altira. All of the major cannabis players in the USA are already getting their licenses (some have licenses in ~20 states already), building up their infrastructures in the states that have medical and rec use, and establishing/expanding their brands. While a lot of them are burning through cash like crazy right now, in the next 5-10 years (or however long it takes before cannabis is federally legal) they wont need altria for domestic use only for international.

Canadian companies are already beginning to expand into international markets ( mostly south America and Europe) and show that expanding the foot print is not as challenging as one would imagine without major players
ProgN
gougler08 said:

Walmart is getting out of streaming business. Look out for ROKU and Netflix. Article is at CNBC.com. I'm on mobile so someone else go get it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/17/walmart-will-not-launch-a-new-video-streaming-service-choosing-to-focus-on-vudu.html
Quote:

Here's a plot twist one company is deciding not to launch a new streaming video service.

At a time when NBC, Disney, AT&T, Viacom, Apple and others are considering subscription services for cord cutters, Walmart is abandoning its plans, according to people familiar with the matter. The giant discount retailer opted not to move forward with a new streaming product after talks with veteran media executive Mark Greenberg fell apart last year, said the people, who asked not to be named because the discussions were private.

Instead, Walmart will focus on bolstering Vudu, the video service it acquired in 2010. Vudu offers a variety of movies and shows for free with ads or for purchase that can be rented or owned. Vudu is No. 3 in pay-per-view digital video, trailing Apple and Amazon, Variety reported in October.

Greenberg, who was previously CEO of premium movie service Epix, had spoken to Walmart about developing a service aimed at "Middle America," the people said. The initial success of the "Roseanne" revival last year inspired other content creators to go after that type of audience.

But talks with Walmart broke down after Walmart couldn't get comfortable with making a large investment in content, a business where it has no real experience and where competitors such as Netflix can spend more than $10 billion a year on new TV shows and movies.

Vudu has taken a small step in the direction of original content, agreeing to retool the 1983 comedy "Mr. Mom" into a digital series. The service's focus will continue to be on a broader library of movies and shows. The Vudu business is under Marc Lore, Walmart's head of e-commerce.
gougler08
AG
SPX spike
Ragoo
AG
I had a dream last night that NFLX jumped up $200 per share.
ProgN
gougler08 said:

SPX spike
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/17/stock-market-morgan-stanley-and-netflix-earnings-china-and-brexit-in-focus.html
Quote:

Dow jumps 200 points on report US considering easing tariffs on China during negotiations
Quote:

Stocks spiked on Thursday on the back of a report that said the U.S. could ease tariffs on Chinese goods during their trade negotiations with China.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped to trade more than 100 points higher on the report, while the S&P 500 gained 0.7 percent. The Nasdaq Composite also climbed 0.7 percent.

Netflix is scheduled to report after the close Thursday. The stock has been on a tear so far this year, rising more than 31 percent. Netflix's earnings will arrive after the streaming giant announced it would raise monthly subscription prices by 13 to 18 percent, a move that was cheered by Wall Street earlier this week. Dow member American Express is also set to report after the close.
The shorts are about to get called in.
Dobre casy
AG
AAPL spiked $3 on the news.
Ragoo
AG
Everything spiked and quickly sold off.
WestTexAg12
AG
Ragoo said:

Everything spiked and quickly sold off.

Yup. Blue balled everyone.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
khkman22
AG
Picked up a $300 NFLX put at $.94 expiring tomorrow.
Ridge14

Lol
Ragoo
AG
khkman22 said:

oh?
WestTexAg12
AG
Ragoo said:

khkman22 said:

oh?

Reasoning?
ProgN
Whoever the reporter that ran with that should be fired. It isn't cute f'ing with the financial markets and trillions of dollars by trying to be first or even worse, trying to embarrass the Trump Admin.
IrishTxAggie
AG
khkman22 said:

To me, that seems like a hell of a reach...
First Page Last Page
Page 354 of 6418

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.