Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

24,039,928 Views | 231646 Replies | Last: 29 min ago by spud1910
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Be right Stewie, be right.

I have been bullish on OSTK for a few months (see posting history), but im wondering how the uptrend in vaccine news will affect this.
FJ43
oldarmy1 said:

FJ43 said:

ATVI getting its feet under it again.
Give us $77.50 and we'll get paid
$77.58 !!!
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

oldarmy1
AG
Exited NET calls
Engine10
AG
Anyone looking for a PLTR entry we're getting a decent pullback today after a morning jump.
McInnis 03
AG
McInnis 03 said:

FJ43 said:

Puts engaged.
Seriously fast scalp. Was in and out in about 3 min and got 30%
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
oldarmy1
AG
When I first started trading I needed to build my equity so I'd use covered calls to do it in increments.

Prime example I see right now is MARA. I would buy MARA right here and hold to see if it breaks and runs like TRIL and the other connected bitcoin plays. On half of the shares bought you immediately sell the Dec 18 $2.50 covered call for $1.25. You either get $3.78 or reduce your buy in to $2.15 on that half. $350/1000 shares gained on called out above $3.75. You hold the other half to see if explosion happens and then decide whether to move to the $4 covered call or lock in added profits with a premium pop added with the $2.50 calls.

Some times I would use 50% of my equity doing these and less than 30 days away you have built your account.
ClutchCityAg
oldarmy1 said:

When I first started trading I needed to build my equity so I'd use covered calls to do it in increments.

Prime example I see right now is MARA. I would buy MARA right here and hold to see if it breaks and runs like TRIL and the other connected bitcoin plays. On half of the shares bought you immediately sell the Dec 18 $2.50 covered call for $1.25. You either get $3.78 or reduce your buy in to $2.15 on that half. $350/1000 shares gained on called out above $3.75. You hold the other half to see if explosion happens and then decide whether to move to the $4 covered call or lock in added profits with a premium pop added with the $2.50 calls.

Some times I would use 50% of my equity doing these and less than 30 days away you have built your account.
This type of knowledge is invaluable to a new trader like me OA, thank you so much for what you do!

Let it ride
cptthunder
Very new to the covered call world so am I crazy for selling a March 2021 6C on MARA for $1.30 which makes my cost basis $1 and if I get called out I make a 5X return

Just missed OAs post on this
oldarmy1
AG
cptthunder said:

Very new to the covered call world so am I crazy for selling a March 2021 6C on MARA for $1.30 which makes my cost basis $1 and if I get called out I make a 5X return

Nope...you just have a longer tie up of the trade but patience is a winning strategy too!

Also, I almost always get the covered call in place BEFORE buying the stock. Eventually I got to where I would wait to see if it pullback for even more spread between the covered call and stock buy. For example $1.25 covered call placed when stock was at $3.38 and now its at $3.33. You actually have a naked call going on and the ask is down to $1.20 so you are up $0.50 on 10 covered calls AND the stock price is at $3.30

Judge your willingness to hold off buying as long as you want and if it just keeps dropping then your calls are gaining in value to you and you determine when to enter the stock. I would NOT hold naked calls over night on stocks like these because they could race at any time leaving you bankrupt. Must have constant eye on it once you sell the call.
zag213004
AG
FJ43 said:

oldarmy1 said:

FJ43 said:

$77.58 !!!

On target for 2.70 for 80 calls and 2 for 82.5 still then?
cmk10
AG
what does that Tweet mean?
cptthunder
oldarmy1 said:

cptthunder said:

Nope...you just have a longer tie up of the trade but patience is a winning strategy too!

Also, I almost always get the covered call in place BEFORE buying the stock. Eventually I got to where I would wait to see if it pullback for even more spread between the covered call and stock buy. For example $1.25 covered call placed when stock was at $3.38 and now its at $3.33. You actually have a naked call going on and the ask is down to $1.20 so you are up $0.50 on 10 covered calls AND the stock price is at $3.30

Judge your willingness to hold off buying as long as you want and if it just keeps dropping then your calls are gaining in value to you and you determine when to enter the stock. I would NOT hold naked calls over night on stocks like these because they could race at any time leaving you bankrupt. Must have constant eye on it once you sell the call.
Thanks to your advice I actually started this position by selling the 3P about a month ago and getting assigned and this is my 2nd round of covered calls on this position now
Really interesting to hear a different side this this strategy, cant say thanks enough for all the knowledge you share
Turned 1K into 5K the last 3 months since diving in and trying to turn some positions into more stable patient growth now
McInnis 03
AG
Traded one of my net free ROKU calls for 100 Academy shares plus some cash.

I just graduated from the OA1 school of Net Free.

This is in the IRA, so looooooong hold on ASO.
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
FJ43
zwhag2010 said:

FJ43 said:

oldarmy1 said:

FJ43 said:

$77.58 !!!

On target for 2.70 for 80 calls and 2 for 82.5 still then?
I am in the 82.5s and have close orders set for $2 but watching it. Have an alert set at $1.50 as well.
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle. but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.
Proverbs 13:11

Rice and Fries
cmk10 said:

what does that Tweet mean?
A trading firm is shorting the stock with an expected price target of $2. So it is saying be careful if youre planning on holding the stock long term.
jwhitlock3
Couple questions

1) how do you sell a covered call without owning the underlying shares first?
2) If you bought at 3.34, and sold the 2.50 covered call for 1.25, wouldn't you get called out guaranteed and then you'd be selling at effectively 3.75, that's a gain of $41 or 12% (gig em). Why would you go this route instead of selling the $4C Dec 18 for .80? That leaves more upside, and still reduces your risk and cost of ownership to $2.50ish per share.

Is this just a way to turn a quick 12% in 30 days and you're banking on being called out for sure?
jwhitlock3
cptthunder said:

oldarmy1 said:

cptthunder said:

Thanks to your advice I actually started this position by selling the 3P about a month ago and getting assigned and this is my 2nd round of covered calls on this position now
Really interesting to hear a different side this this strategy, cant say thanks enough for all the knowledge you share
Turned 1K into 5K the last 3 months since diving in and trying to turn some positions into more stable patient growth now
If you're not in this yet would selling the $2.50 put for .38 make sense here? Would give you either 15% return or shares at $2.11.
topher06
Net free on some SNAP calls with a minor profit booked. Sure I sold too soon, but this lets me leave and head out for an outside lunch with my wife without caring what antics may be played the rest of the day before the Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanks again OA1, everyone in this thread owes you and Ranger a lot.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
McInnis 03 said:

this is how I'm accumulating OSTK and CWH. I am selling ****loads of puts and putting the premium into shares. if I get assigned, f it. I'll just sell a cc against it.
McInnis 03
AG
McInnis 03 said:

I think my next move here will be when I liquidate the next net free option (currently holding AMZN, BABA, GE, QQQ, ROKU, SQ, and TSLA there) I'll add some MARA or RIOT or both. Blockchain and crypto mining has to be worth something in the next 20 yrs, maybe?

B&I Key:
McInnis 03
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

McInnis 03 said:

this is how I'm accumulating OSTK and CWH. I am selling ****loads of puts and putting the premium into shares. if I get assigned, f it. I'll just sell a cc against it.
I'm getting assigned CWH and RKT today on puts, I'll be ok with it as the premium makes it a nice discount.

B&I Key:
gougler08
AG
Something going on with CHEK for sure...already over 8MM shares and normally trading below 1MM. Goal posts from a couple months back too
oldarmy1
AG
topher06 said:

Net free on some SNAP calls with a minor profit booked. Sure I sold too soon, but this lets me leave and head out for an outside lunch with my wife without caring what antics may be played the rest of the day before the Thanksgiving weekend.

Get net free on this push...smaller equity builders should sell it all
McInnis 03
AG
SQ 200

I'm a believer

B&I Key:
oldarmy1
AG
Rocket volume....do something you scud missile you
Engine10
AG
topher06 said:

Same here! Profit is good, free is better!
Bob Knights Paper Hands
The problem with long term investing in BTC mining versus directly in BTC is the halvening. A declining revenue stream with fixed operating costs and a variable product price - it's like the O&G industry.
jwhitlock3
jwhitlock3 said:

Couple questions

2) If you bought at 3.34, and sold the 2.50 covered call for 1.25, wouldn't you get called out guaranteed and then you'd be selling at effectively 3.75, that's a gain of $41 or 12% (gig em). Why would you go this route instead of selling the $4C Dec 18 for .80? That leaves more upside, and still reduces your risk and cost of ownership to $2.50ish per share.

Is this just a way to turn a quick 12% in 30 days and you're banking on being called out for sure?
Answering my own question here but I've re-read it 10 times now and I think I'm seeing the move better. You are essentially locking in 12% gain on half, and leaving half open for a big move. You're selling the calls on margin, and then purchasing shares later. Doing this as opposed to selling puts at least guarantees entry into the stock, but I suppose has more risk to the downside in the short term.
oldarmy1
AG
jwhitlock3 said:

Couple questions

Good thinking. I'm using the ultra conservative no lose way to build. If you have more risk tolerance then its not too risky to use the $4 calls. If the stock dropped back to retest support at $2.06 though the $0.80 helps but you are left waiting for the next build. A good way is to do both! 50% $2.50 and 50% $4. Again, this is equity build strategies so I want most all the risk off the table for those people.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
McInnis 03 said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

McInnis 03 said:

I'm getting assigned CWH and RKT today on puts, I'll be ok with it as the premium makes it a nice discount.

are you doing bullish slightly OTM puts / ATM puts? I go slightly below ATM. So if CWH were at 30, I would sell 29. When CWH touched 22, I sold a ton.
jwhitlock3
oldarmy1 said:

jwhitlock3 said:

Couple questions

Good thinking. I'm using the ultra conservative no lose way to build. If you have more risk tolerance then its not too risky to use the $4 calls. If the stock dropped back to retest support at $2.06 though the $0.80 helps but you are left waiting for the next build. A good way is to do both! 50% $2.50 and 50% $4. Again, this is equity build strategies so I want most all the risk off the table for those people.
I am 100% in the equity build strategy, so I'm going to make a move on this today with 200 shares. Thank you!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Rocket volume....do something you scud missile you
such a great description.
gigemJTH12
AG
oldarmy1 said:

topher06 said:

got out at 2.40 for a nice profit. Thanks OA!
zag213004
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

oldarmy1 said:

topher06 said:

got out at 2.40 for a nice profit. Thanks OA!

Sold all my SNAP
oldarmy1
AG
Smallest account I handle is at $540k after a $35k gain week. I am at $420k in cash all of the sudden. Trading very thin until this market gives more to study.

My personal largest trading account is at 40% cash.

Breakdown of remaining 60%:
40% in net free holdings. That is a large number and almost can be looked at as sidelined cash.
15% in stocks of which 1/3 have a covered call involved.
5% in options trades.

Time to fish and let the technicals talk.
First Page Last Page
Page 2479 of 6619

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.