Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,521,791 Views | 223304 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by ProgN
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
But I can also access all of my prime stuff on the firestick. The firestick supports Vue too. I just think there's a little too much overlap there for AMZN to be truly interested. I admittedly don't know much about PSVue, but I just assumed it was somewhat similar to those.
Ragoo
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

But I can also access all of my prime stuff on the firestick. The firestick supports Vue too. I just think there's a little too much overlap there for AMZN to be truly interested. I admittedly don't know much about PSVue, but I just assumed it was somewhat similar to those.
psvue is like sling or YouTube tv. Just a streaming service. Roku is mostly the hardware and OS.

Amazon is probably their biggest competitor no doubt. I will have to find the numbers but I think users of the roku vastly outpace fire stick.
IrishTxAggie
AG
The AVEO management is really starting to ****ing piss me off...

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180816005704/en/AVEO-Announces-Proposed-Offering-Common-Stock
Ragoo
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

The AVEO management is really starting to ****ing piss me off...

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180816005704/en/AVEO-Announces-Proposed-Offering-Common-Stock
why I don't play pharma. Seems like the truth never comes out.
ProgN
IrishTxAggie said:

AMZN firestick is ROKU's main competition. AMZN could corner the market if they acquired ROKU and prevent their purchase and tech from going to a competitor. See why AMZN could buy them out?
oldarmy1
AG
UpstateAg said:

Still liking the Jan 2020 50C?
Yup. That's why sometimes you preserve capital and avoid all the short term gyrations and say "if its a winner it will win long term".
Ragoo
AG
Prognightmare said:

IrishTxAggie said:

AMZN firestick is ROKU's main competition. AMZN could corner the market if they acquired ROKU and prevent their purchase and tech from going to a competitor. See why AMZN could buy them out?
the way I see it, either ROKU grows to finds its way in every home across the country and millions around the world. Or someone like Bezos is going to come in and over pay. At this point I don't see ROKU going away.
Ranger222
AG
ROKU is also building its platform business. I believe that is why we saw a jump in stock price after earnings -- people haven't been factoring in that aspect of the business. It only grew 96% in the quarter and eclipsed the hardware revenue. This includes advertising within the app/hardware and taking a little piece of every subscription that uses Roku. They're also building up their web presence and have the Roku channel that is a top 10 streaming channel. The company isn't just about the hardware anymore. There are more ways to win now and those ways also have better margins than the hardware business.
Ragoo
AG
I think the piece of the subs is only when a sub is done through the platform. Not externally.
pfo
AG
That's exactly right Ranger. The part about ROKU everybody has missed is they sell advertising on their ROKU Channel. And advertising dollars go up with more eyeballs.

So it's 3 separate streams of revenue:

1) Hardware (1 time upfront)
2) Subscription (reoccurring)
3) Advertising on the ROKU Channel (reoccurring and escalating)

And since streaming is cheaper than cable or satellite allowing you to "select out" what you don't want then it's appealing to many

ROKU has a sound business model and the Aggie that runs it says they have the best streamers in the business.
Guitarsoup
AG
Roku needs their own cable service such as Sling/YoutubeTV/etc.

We have had a FireStick for years, but just got a Roku Ultra. Roku is much better than the Fire.
ProgN
Agreed
Ragoo
AG
The other thing to think about is data collection. I am not sure how Nielsen gathers viewership data for their ratings but ROKU likely has the ability to know exactly who and what is being watched. That is powerful data for networks.
gougler08
AG
Our Roku Smart Tv is awesome and was pretty cheap, will be purchasing another one soon most likely
Ragoo
AG
Which brand did you get?
oldarmy1
AG
Deere missed.

We'll see if the gap fill was close enough on the S&P. So far early futures are down now.
gougler08
AG
Ragoo said:

Which brand did you get?
TCL 55" off Amazon for the main living room and looking at a smaller one for the bedroom.
Ragoo
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

*******Prediction - Don't take literally **********

Wild ass, put it in your pipe and smoke it with no basis prediction.....

Microsoft acquires Dropbox for $40 billion over the next few weeks.
- explains COO departure at DBX
- Microsoft CEO recently sold a major block of shares.
- Gives Microsoft a competitive edge with GOOG and doesn't let a Fox in the henhouse of MSFTs commercial software monopoly.
- Microsoft wants to dominate cloud
lets go back to this. Love the idea. But why would anyone pay $40B? Their current market cap is just over $11B. That is nearly a 4x multiple.
oldarmy1
AG
JD has volume of 110m shares last 3 days. It's make or break time in the coming week. A bounce move enhanced by short covering or a breakdown sending it to long term major support below $26.

Also, beginning to buy some crushed gold stocks GG and GDX.

Bonfire1996
AG
I got my charts mixed up. I thought it was $27 B market cap. I was figuring 1.5x mktcap. Revise to $18 B.
Ragoo
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

I got my charts mixed up. I thought it was $27 B market cap. I was figuring 1.5x mktcap. Revise to $18 B.
~$45/share. Would not hate that.
khkman22
AG
Questions on a couple of scenarios.

What happens if you have a long-term open options position, say a $70 1/2020 ROKU long call? In December of 2018 they get bought out by AMZN (or whoever) at $75/share. Does the option ever have any value over $5? Does the option ever become worthless before 1/2020 since the stock will no longer exist before that date?

What happens if you are long a $300 1/2020 TSLA put and in June 2019, while they are at $310/share, they declare bankruptcy? Is that option now basically worthless since they will not exist in 1/2020? If they were at $250/share in June 2019, would that change anything?

Just curious how long-term plays may be affected when you may have played a position correctly, but for some reason or another the stock may not be around at your exercise date. And if you happened to be in either of these scenarios, would it be easy to close out your position within a few hours of the news coming out, or do people stop trading those options because there is no longer any point to own the option?
UpstateAg
AG
As the great Samuel l Jackson once said as a scientist..."Hold onto your butts' JD owners."
gougler08
AG
What are the thoughts on 50 calls on MU (out 30 days or so)? Seems like it hit lower resistance and should fill those gaps back up sometime soon?
oldarmy1
AG
Buying in chip stocks going on. MU watch it.
gougler08
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Buying in chip stocks going on. MU watch it.
Think it's going up with the buying?
gougler08
AG
I'll answer my own question as it seems to have gone up .40 in a few min
oldarmy1
AG
UpstateAg said:

As the great Samuel l Jackson once said as a scientist..."Hold onto your butts' JD owners."

Wild ride but that clear out move early and strong recovery was impressive
ProgN
What do you think of the Sept 21 MCHP calls 85 strike?
what say you
what does this mean?
IrishTxAggie
AG
There's going to be a offering because they will need more money to operate. This was known by anyone that paid attention to the balance sheets. However, it was assumed no announcement would be made about the offering until after the P3 readout. The offering hasn't happened and there was essentially zero reason to announce this other than to send a quick shock wave and give the shorts an opportunity to cover. I would not be surprised if some insider buys happened today.
oldarmy1
AG
Is there a new storage technology coming?

DBX and BOX are getting hammered.
oldarmy1
AG
Interesting dynamic. I sold 30 naked BBOX Puts at $1.33 back over a month ago.

That would put her net holding share price at $1.17 if assigned. She has only had 100 shares assigned of the 3000 potential. Naturally, with the stock up to $1.57 she will already have a 40 cents per share profit.

But will all 30 Puts assign? If not then she will have made $3900 and then I would have to buy shares at current market price.

Can't imagine people wouldn't assign shares but stranger things have happened.
what say you
so, is this bad for the stock price or good? I assume the price will go up, but not as much had the P3 happened first (assuming positive news). Is my train of thought incorrect?
IrishTxAggie
AG
what say you said:

so, is this bad for the stock price or good? I assume the price will go up, but not as much had the P3 happened first (assuming positive news). Is my train of thought incorrect?
Any time there is an offering, the stock price will take a hit. If they do the offering before the P3 results, the stock would take a significant hit. Well under $2. Post p3 results, it will take a hit, but assuming the P3 results are good, the stock price would be significantly higher than it is now.
First Page Last Page
Page 194 of 6381

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.