Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,093,535 Views | 224502 Replies | Last: 32 min ago by HoustonAg2014
59 South
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
um cough cough, don't forget all the miles used for free vacations and the subsequent travel 'status' weiner measuring competitions over extravagant dinners, all expensed of course.
BenRev09
Killin Me Smalls
AG
59 South said:

um cough cough, don't forget all the miles used for free vacations and the subsequent travel 'status' weiner measuring competitions over extravagant dinners, all expensed of course.

Guilty!
McInnis 03
AG
So here's a tricky one.

Broker: TDA

Question: When playing vertical spreads in a ROTH IRA, do you actually have to have the cash available to run through both sides of a vertical spread in the event you hold it until expiration, or will the broker handle the transaction and leave you with the remainder?

IE: Bought a 101C on an equity, sold a 102C on an equity. Equity closes at 108 at time of expiration. Does the person have to have $10,100 cash available to purchase the 100 shares at 101, and then they can receive $10,200 by the sale of said shares. Or does the broker simply handle the full transaction if you're liquidity doesn't support that transaction at the time?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
59 South said:

my annual travel spend exceeds $100K. It's been $0 for 5 months.
Ragoo
AG
McInnis 03 said:

So here's a tricky one.

Question: When playing vertical spreads in a ROTH IRA, do you actually have to have the cash available to run through both sides of a vertical spread in the event you hold it until expiration, or will the broker handle the transaction and leave you with the remainder?

IE: Bought a 101C on an equity, sold a 102C on an equity. Equity closes at 108 at time of expiration. Does the person have to have $10,100 cash available to purchase the 100 shares at 101, and then they can receive $10,200 by the sale of said shares. Or does the broker simply handle the full transaction if you're liquidity doesn't support that transaction at the time?
the broker handles closing both sides at expiration. I've never had an issue in a margin account getting ITM spreads closed.
topher06
$30,000 Millionaire said:

59 South said:

Yeah mine is likely around there, all in with hotels and stuff. My best friend spends several hundred thousand per year just on airline tickets, and he has been $0 for 5 months with no plans to travel the remainder of the year.

These are all just anecdotes, but does anyone have an anecdote of a regular traveler who is still regularly traveling? Has relatively firm plans to return to traveling in 2020 (at least refundable tickets booked)?
topher06
59 South said:

I would gladly pay for some attorney's vacations if they would just not bill their entire life on a work trip that could be accomplished remotely. The billable hours are the real killer, and everyone knows you aren't working at nearly 100% capacity on a plane.
TecRecAg
AG
The $0 travel spend has been nice. I'm nowhere near $100k, but use my own car to see clients across the state and sometimes Oklahoma. Decent feeling owning a car since December that only has 5k miles on it.
Boat Shoes
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Riley, thoughts ?

Anyone see any action in the call options?
McInnis 03
AG
Ragoo said:

McInnis 03 said:

So here's a tricky one.

the broker handles closing both sides at expiration. I've never had an issue in a margin account getting ITM spreads closed.
I guess my question lies with the fact that it's a ROTH IRA and I'm not sure that margin is allowed to be utilized, but you'd think if the transaction isn't allowed, it wouldn't allow me to run the spread?
59 South
AG
So when you headed back to London mate?!? I think we have some 'business' to discuss.
Phat32
AG

59 South said:

Same-ish. $60K and 9-10 countries planned this year. I'm at $2K and don't forsee any business travel before the end of the year.

Keeping status had a good run.
Ragoo
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Ragoo said:

McInnis 03 said:

So here's a tricky one.

I guess my question lies with the fact that it's a ROTH IRA and I'm not sure that margin is allowed to be utilized, but you'd think if the transaction isn't allowed, it wouldn't allow me to run the spread?
margin is not allowed because of the contribution limits. On a margin call you can't just wire in cash so the broker blocks it.

Fidelity allows spreads up to like $3k risk. I read something about that yesterday.
djmeen95
AG
oldarmy1 said:

CrazyRichAggie said:

What's this all about, OA?

CHNG? It bottomed and has begun it's move up. Posted Friday my starting to accumulate with largest buys under $10

Thanks OA for the heads up on this. It's up above $11 today.
Bretton Gekko
Short a move >3255 IMO
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
McInnis 03 said:

jsap said:

McInnis 03 said:

CRWD is on my radar as well. I'm consistently looking for daily charts that have been on the uptrend for awhile but have pulled back to the 8-21 day EMA. Well, CRWD has gone even harder, and has now 3 inside bars in a row on the hourly. That's quite a bit of consolidation.

EDIT: And like that I get into a few 101/102 call spreads for this week at .57
How do you setup call spread? Buy to open 101p and 102c?
If I am expecting an upwards move there are a few ways to do it, but in this situation I"m "buying" debit spreads.

I buy the 101C and sell the 102C. This caps my gain at the difference in the strikes, meaning I can make $1 ($100) per contract assuming the price is above 102 at expiration. Or if the stock makes a good move for me early I can close the spread by selling the 101C and buying to cover the 102C.
this is awesome, I just opened a whole mess of these
pb488
AG
topher06 said:

59 South said:

Yeah mine is likely around there, all in with hotels and stuff. My best friend spends several hundred thousand per year just on airline tickets, and he has been $0 for 5 months with no plans to travel the remainder of the year.

These are all just anecdotes, but does anyone have an anecdote of a regular traveler who is still regularly traveling? Has relatively firm plans to return to traveling in 2020 (at least refundable tickets booked)?
I have been doing day or overnight trips since the end of May, averaging 1 trip per week. My travel has been cut roughly in half since restarting and was completely shutdown from mid-March to end of May.
Mister Cooper
AG
Can someone explain why LUV's stock price keeps rising? I see no reason behind it and as many of you have mentioned, y'all are not flying anymore.
McInnis 03
AG
NRD09 said:

McInnis 03 said:

jsap said:

McInnis 03 said:

CRWD is on my radar as well. I'm consistently looking for daily charts that have been on the uptrend for awhile but have pulled back to the 8-21 day EMA. Well, CRWD has gone even harder, and has now 3 inside bars in a row on the hourly. That's quite a bit of consolidation.

If I am expecting an upwards move there are a few ways to do it, but in this situation I"m "buying" debit spreads.

I buy the 101C and sell the 102C. This caps my gain at the difference in the strikes, meaning I can make $1 ($100) per contract assuming the price is above 102 at expiration. Or if the stock makes a good move for me early I can close the spread by selling the 101C and buying to cover the 102C.
Please make sure that if you're going to be executing spreads you read up on them, understand the risks of early assignment, and pretty much know what you're doing in any situation you put yourself into.
AgShaun00
AG
CX got upgrade from credit suisse to 3.7
Square Pair
AG
Using name jinx that stonk.
AgCPA95
AG
maroon19 said:

Can someone explain why LUV's stock price keeps rising? I see no reason behind it and as many of you have mentioned, y'all are not flying anymore.

It's all about their lack of international exposure, operational efficiency, and stockpile of available cash compared to United, American and Delta.
gougler08
AG
So I have Jul AMRX $5 covered calls that may end up being called out with this run up...I could buy them back for a small gain overall and then roll them out another month or should I just see what happens

Cost base is at $4 so a decent gain if called out so thinking of just letting it ride
McInnis 03
AG
AgShaun00 said:

CX got upgrade from credit suisse to 3.7
I'll take "Stonks that do not only go up" for $1000 Alex.
AgShaun00
AG
Square Pair said:

Using name jinx that stonk.
we can't use it under 2.5
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
McInnis 03 said:

NRD09 said:

McInnis 03 said:

jsap said:

McInnis 03 said:

Please make sure that if you're going to be executing spreads you read up on them, understand the risks of early assignment, and pretty much know what you're doing in any situation you put yourself into.
only thing I need to worry about is allowing it to expire between my strikes and getting exercised, right? Or am I missing something?
Mister Cooper
AG
so its rising because other airlines are in a worse position moving forward? I know LUV has the strongest balance sheet out of the major airlines and are mainly domestic so that all makes sense to me. I figured they would be slumping in the high twenty-low thirty range rather than keep rising though
gougler08
AG
maroon19 said:

so its rising because other airlines are in a worse position moving forward? I know LUV has the strongest balance sheet out of the major airlines and are mainly domestic so that all makes sense to me. I figured they would be slumping in the high twenty-low thirty range rather than keep rising though
AAL and UAL are up a higher % today than LUV so a strong day for the airlines it seems (not sure driver outside of they're all beaten down and they will have some good days)
EngrAg14
AG
Whats the drop?
McInnis 03
AG
NRD09 said:

McInnis 03 said:

NRD09 said:

McInnis 03 said:

jsap said:

McInnis 03 said:

only thing I need to worry about is allowing it to expire between my strikes and getting exercised, right? Or am I missing something?
On debit spreads, yeah, you're pretty much protected with most things. If you start to sell them you can run afoul unless you set cash aside, but yeah, you pretty much got it so far.

In the event you're in between strikes as expiration nears, you may just want to close it yourself. Your short strike will approach zero the closer to 3:00CT you get, then you can sell your long call for close to what it's worth at that point.
Charismatic Megafauna
topher06
Boat Shoes said:

McInnis 03 said:

Riley, thoughts ?

Anyone see any action in the call options?
I guess if Moderna said they have a vaccine, we are going to have another round of all the big pharmas saying they have a vaccine so they don't get left behind. Going to take all of this with a grain of salt, feels like the pharmas are trying to pump their share price.
Ragoo
AG
NRD09 said:

McInnis 03 said:

NRD09 said:

McInnis 03 said:

jsap said:

McInnis 03 said:

i would t worry too much. The brokerage is going to execute the closing transactions at expiration. If you let them expire the cash settle may take a little longer then closing outright yourself.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
that's cool if it closes above my upper strike, but if it closes between my strikes, "executing the closing transaction" means selling me my shares at 104...I did 8 of these and I don't have 80k in cash. I don't even think I have 80k in margin. right?
First Page Last Page
Page 1891 of 6415

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.