Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,099,882 Views | 224561 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by ProgN
TecRecAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We believing the Walrus or what

TXAG14
TecRecAg said:

We believing the Walrusor what

TecRecAg
AG
I've seen that guys tweets a million times. Never noticed that.
Boat Shoes
AG
Lumber prices skyrocketing. What's the best way to play it? It's extremely pertinent to my interests as I'll be building a custom home in 6 months or so. An investment as a hedge?

https://apple.news/AvveECZALR8eEPasI3Wc8cg
SW AG80
AG
Me too.
AgsnFly
AG
59 South said:

I need the Larry David gif here. I mean, don't fight momentum. I understand how AMZN can be valued at what it is. I still can't understand TSLA and have never touched it.

Try not think of TSLA as a car company; more of a technology/energy play. This helps rationalize the valuation. I traded this stock many years ago between 175 and 250. Made money but was luckily very long when it broke out. As a trader, I am conditioned to let winners run and have been rewarded in TSLA for doing so. My struggle is taking profits (although trailing stops help). I came to realize that TSLA has enormous growth potential via the EV wave and as such, I am a big bull. If it trades much below 1100, I will be a forced seller. Good luck to you.
E
AG
NIO touched $15

BrokeAssAggie
Profit is profit but man I look dumb unloading on Monday at $11.50
Ragoo
AG
Boat Shoes said:

Lumber prices skyrocketing. What's the best way to play it? It's extremely pertinent to my interests as I'll be building a custom home in 6 months or so. An investment as a hedge?

WY? Georgia pacific?
deadbq03
AG
Ragoo said:

Boat Shoes said:

WY? Georgia pacific?
WOOD
Ragoo
AG
deadbq03 said:

Ragoo said:

Boat Shoes said:

WY? Georgia pacific?
WOOD

AgEng06
AG
Wow
AgsnFly
AG
Prognightmare said:

210ag said:

Another long time lurker here to post.

I've been riding Alibaba since $176. Debating reducing my position to net out and reinvesting elsewhere.
1) Lurkers shouldn't be timid about posting. This is the most accepting, helpful place on TexAgs.

2) You will never go broke taking a profit.

3) "Bulls and bears make money, pigs get slaughtered" is longtime wall street advice.

4) What if Trump puts tariffs on China for covid? What if there's a terrorist attack and the markets close for several days like in 2001? How pissed would you be if the market opened up limit down and BABA is cut in half?

Moral of the story, You will never pick the top or the bottom. Being over greedy leads to more losses because you'll try so hard to get back what you had, IF you would have sold.

JMO

No offense, but you can absolutely go broke taking profits. I can elaborate if you earnestly believe this (vs citing a cliches) and want to discuss.
FishrCoAg
AG
Would prefer it to stay at 14.99 until next weekend
Jet Black
I think NIO is going to keep climbing. Trying to decide if I should get back in or wait for a dip that might never happen.
cottonpicker
AG
Clsk making a move the last couple of days.
Boat Shoes
AG
Ragoo said:

Boat Shoes said:

WY? Georgia pacific?

Interested in WY. Also a nat gas play. Anyone in Weyerhaeuser? Thoughts?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I am really really skeptical about ATH on SPX in the next 20 days. It is certainly possible, but I think it will require a major event like stimulus to get there and tech stocks alone will not be able to push it up. Transports and banks are lagging, and the RUT is about ready to tank. Obviously, anything is possible.
FishrCoAg
AG
Please elaborate on how you go broke taking profits
Brewmaster
AG
FishrCoAg said:

Would prefer it to stay at 14.99 until next weekend
good luck with that! it looks like it wants 20 in that time frame.
Brewmaster
AG
Jet Black said:

I think NIO is going to keep climbing. Trying to decide if I should get back in or wait for a dip that might never happen.
it will get shorted hard again soon. Was it Wednesday? that it got shorted back to about 12? Then suddenly today it's back near 14. A lot of the chinese stocks are running...this one has some real room to run IMO.
Proposition Joe
I'm sure the concept is that you won't be "taking profits" on all of your investments and the ones you let run for higher profits would otherwise offset some of your losers.

Ultimately it's all about your trading frame of mind. Some people love to go "net free", but ultimately you're just paying the price in potential future profits for security on the backside. Much comes down to why you made the investment in the first place -- if you had a certain # in mind, then hedging before it hits that number ultimately has you paying for something you didn't even originally forecast happening.

It's all about how risk averse you are and how you prefer to sleep at night, and ultimately how much you trust your process. Don't change the reason you entered your position and your $ goal for it just because you were right.
59 South
AG
This is good advice imo.

Also know what you are buying. I never trade cyclicals with a 'net free' strategy. Examples are AMD and MU. Semis go through cycles, and this is known. You can make mega profits when they have an upswing, but they're gonna come back down and then back up. You can make a lot of good money playing these. Buy low, sell high. Same with others like O&G...use and abuse those tickers over and over.

Then if you're in taxable accounts you have to consider those tax implications. So you're selling profits and paying taxes on the gains when those gains that you are marginalizing could keep compounding and putting off taxes into the future. I rarely trade shares in my taxable brokerage account. Either buy something safer with good upside like AMZN and plan to hold forever, invest in a SPY/IVV/QQQ/IWM mix and reinvest dividends (or sock away the cash), or trade options. Options are the juice, and cash is king so always have some ready to go in case of a meltdown. If I make a net killing on options in a calendar year, I'm more than happy to pay Uncle Sam for that. The rest is just responsible investing with liquid money that you can tap into if you ever get into a bind.

My swing trades with shares are almost always in 401k brokerage link (Fidelity) or Roth IRA. I also have all options capabilities in Roth IRA and do covered calls. All of this with zero taxes paid now! It's also where most people have more capital. I've read a lot about financial advisors saying to never ever ever invest or trade individual stocks in retirement accounts. That is very true for almost all people, but if you figure out how to do it, you can absolutely kill it due to lack of tax implications.

Proposition Joe
Yeah, the one issue I've been having is my margin to buy on my cash account is much higher than on my IRA... So I'll get a few acquisitions in and then hit a limit and have to switch over to my cash account to continue acquiring.

In short, my taxes will be an absolute mess.
UpstateAg
AG
Covered calls in the Roth are easy ways to generate that extra money that really adds up over time. I'm VTSAX in most of mine, but those few individual stock equities I own, I'm selling month out calls, and either buying more VTSAX or putting aside for another downturn.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I guess I'll jump in as another lurker coming out of the woodwork

I had been wanting to get into the market and figured when things tanked in March it was as good of a time as any. Opened an E*trade account and made some good profits during the rebound March-May with XOM, DIS, DIA, UAL, DAL etc. Reading this thread I learned a lot and the longer term thread 59 South made helped me realize I needed to readjust what I had. Readjusted and am currently all in on Tech which has continued to gain while the stuff I initially bought has declined. A lot of what's posted here is over my head but I'm learning a ton and enjoying it. Anything is better than the 0.01% interest the money would've been making in my savings account. Also helps that while writing my thesis at home I can put Fox Business or CNBC in the background which has also taught me a lot.
leoj
AG
NET with an upgrade. One of the few growth stocks I follow that's still in a good buyable area.
McInnis 03
AG
n/m
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
leoj said:

NET with an upgrade. One of the few growth stocks I follow that's still in a good buyable area.

Everyone should be long NET
jbeck3487
AG
My NIO 7/24 22 covered calls will probably get called out if this continues.
McInnis 03
AG
NIO may run from the bell
Barty Dont Hedge
I like the way WORK is setting up. Has a nice gap to fill around 38 if it can get moving.
McInnis 03
AG
McInnis 03 said:

nope. Coming back to earth.
Mister Cooper
AG
McInnis 03 said:

McInnis 03 said:

nope. Coming back to earth.
Ragoo
AG
Be interesting to see what roku does here in the 153 range. Hitting an upper channel on the 4h chart.
First Page Last Page
Page 1869 of 6417

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.