Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,099,454 Views | 224561 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by ProgN
$30,000 Millionaire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a great day today. Only regret is I got stopped out of some SPY calls that if I held onto would have made money at EOD. Can't complain about a 4-figure gain just on options.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
In on ONTX by the way.
topher06
claym711 said:

That was destined to blast near the end of day
Yeah you were money on that call, really right before it started that power hour ramp up.
Touchless
AG
topher06 said:

claym711 said:

That was destined to blast near the end of day
Yeah you were money on that call, really right before it started that power hour ramp up.
And he called yesterday's low being in the last 90 min of the day as well. Kudos to Clay. I hope he says he expects the market to pull back some more over the next week.
claym711
AG
My focus is primarily intraday and the more the day reveals the higher quality prediction my data can make. Look forward across weekend, not much insight. Macro indicators, the last 2 days are in line with data in late February. Outside of a recession, id be looking for a bottom, but right now I'm expecting a deeper move until we cross above and close above around 3100 but thats a moving target based on each subsequent day we are below. I don't do much long term stuff though, everything is currently geared towards short timeframe trading in futures.

For weekly swing trading, there's a lot that can be derived from tight daily EMAs, and how attached above or below them we are, how many days we remain above or below them, etc. There are enough mean reversion machines and dip buyers that trading to and from macro MAs is a good strategy for swing trading.
topher06
Does anyone else feel bad for those nameless retail guys who buy into fad stocks like Chesapeake only to completely get their lunch eaten? Seems like there is a sizable contingent in America that falls for pump and dump every time.
IrishTxAggie
AG
topher06 said:

Does anyone else feel bad for those nameless retail guys who buy into fad stocks like Chesapeake only to completely get their lunch eaten? Seems like there is a sizable contingent in America that falls for pump and dump every time.

No. I enjoy taking their money. I can do better with it than they can obviously
topher06
IrishTxAggie said:

topher06 said:

Don't get me wrong, its a great source of bonus income. Just feels like the stimulus payments (not getting into whether those were appropriate to hand out in this threat) are just going straight back to the wealthy through stupid stock purchases like CHK at $60/share on no news even close to justifying the run up.
TecRecAg
AG
topher06 said:

Watching the $UCO reverse split via Twitter conversations was entertaining.

Lot's of "BRO! I BOUGHT IN AT 3.35 AND ITS AT $22!!" the morning after a 25:1 r/s
IrishTxAggie
AG
That's what would've happened anyways. The stock market just expedited the process
GreasenUSA
AG
topher06 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

topher06 said:

Don't get me wrong, its a great source of bonus income. Just feels like the stimulus payments (not getting into whether those were appropriate to hand out in this threat) are just going straight back to the wealthy through stupid stock purchases like CHK at $60/share on no news even close to justifying the run up.
Is there supposed to be a story here? Who was buying CHK?
Brewmaster
AG
topher06 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

topher06 said:

I hear you, but the majority of americans are not jumping on RH and dumping their stimulus checks into a YOLO TSLA play. Many are actually using the check for smart purchases.
PA24
AG
Ubitag said:

What a beating!

Licking wounds and thinking about the asswhooping I will get tomorrow cuz I didn't bail.
Didn't bail...like a Nancy
AGSmith
AG
I've held AAL over the last couple of weeks. Both Fridays, I sold a covered call expiring day of and hit the right strike to keep the shares. Last week, I sold a 6/5 19c (closed 18.59) and today I sold a 6/12 17c and pocketed the premiums. After this weeks ups and downs, I'm thinking about setting a trailing stop-loss order, but I don't know what to set it at.

Any suggestions?
djmeen95
AG
TriumphForks said:

I ditched ONTX with 2 minutes to go for a hefty $63 gain. Now I get to doubt myself all weekend.

I remain convinced that had I not taken a $30 loss by selling too early, the stock would not have rebounded. I'm an idiot, but at least I'm a useful idiot! lol.
Brewmaster
AG
claym711 said:

My focus is primarily intraday and the more the day reveals the higher quality prediction my data can make. Look forward across weekend, not much insight. Macro indicators, the last 2 days are in line with data in late February. Outside of a recession, id be looking for a bottom, but right now I'm expecting a deeper move until we cross above and close above around 3100 but thats a moving target based on each subsequent day we are below. I don't do much long term stuff though, everything is currently geared towards short timeframe trading in futures.

For weekly swing trading, there's a lot that can be derived from tight daily EMAs, and how attached above or below them we are, how many days we remain above or below them, etc. There are enough mean reversion machines and dip buyers that trading to and from macro MAs is a good strategy for swing trading.
Was some of today's close not just shorts covering? I'm also seeing quite a few indicators than we're still yet to find bottom (3000 feels temporary).

With that being said, Mondays are typically green (as of late). Tuesdays, not so much!

to all that are new or relatively new to this , cash is a position too! I'm still trying to remind myself of this.
zag213004
AG
In after hours at .57/share (middle of the channel) hoping for a push upward coming soon
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
zwhag2010 said:

In after hours at .57/share (middle of the channel) hoping for a push upward coming soon
buy now. I think we're holding out for $2.50
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
just me, but I think we will see a rise to 3100 and then another rug pull. I got into some cheap SPY calls for Monday. I will start trying to sell more SPX/NDX somewhere around the 3100 point. I was able to make some good gains by selling when we got to around 3000.
McInnis 03
AG
I don't know what's to come but I remember last month at opex I got hosed Tuesday through Thursday. It was vicious
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
Brewmaster
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

just me, but I think we will see a rise to 3100 and then another rug pull. I got into some cheap SPY calls for Monday. I will start trying to sell more SPX/NDX somewhere around the 3100 point. I was able to make some good gains by selling when we got to around 3000.
You have calls and I have puts!?? what's next?

aggiedaniel06
AG
Someone already answered your question pointing to the obvious fact that VIX always settles down over time.

To go into a little bit more detail, VIX is now in backwardation. I.e. near term futures contracts are priced higher than long term ones.

There there are many cool ways in which you can create hedged volatility plays.

As a retail trader now is the only acceptable time to own TVIX/UVXY because when the VIX futures roll, the fund buys the future contract price at a lower price than the near term they are selling. This is an oversimplification, as you have to read their prospectus for their term structure. (BTW yesterday was the quarterly roll date for US indices, part of the reason I expected a volatility surge). Next week is quad witching again.

There are hedgefunds that only trade volatility and when there is a huge amount of money flowing into volatility (July VIX futures) like there has been all of this week, they are usually hedged by shorting July SPX futures.

Also one for your back pocket - one of the guaranteed plays is everytime you have a crazy volatility spike, buy far OTM leap puts on UVXY or TVIX. Their term structure along with contango absolutely shreds them. If I remember correctly you could have opened an August 55/50 UVXY put spread for less than a buck back in March when VIX hit 70. Pretty much guaranteed to be profitable bet if you think about it.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG

Hope you're right but I think the next week or two are going to be pretty volatile with covid , economy, and outlook news good and bad news coming out one after the other.
TxAG#2011
topher06 said:

Position yourself in crypto accordingly.
McInnis 03
AG
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
McInnis 03
AG
I'm going to invent "packets"

Packets are the same as options but work in quantities of 10 shares instead of 100 so the new little guys can get into the game too.

Calling in rich, see ya.

B&I Key:
Cartographer
would have saved me a little cash
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Call them "loosies"
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
BREwmaster said:

You have calls and I have puts!?? what's next?

Don't be mistaken, I expect this thing to drop to 2400. I just think it will rise first. These long calls I've got are a hedge. If I lost the entire premium because the market limited down, I would be celebrating. I just want something extra on top if I can get away with it.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
NRD09 said:

bailed on my 312 6/15s for 70% overnight. Buying vix calls, this feels like bull trap central

This worked out really well. Would have worked out even better had i actually bought the vix calls. I gotta get my day trading back. Think i have 2 weeks left
TriumphForks
AG

zwhag2010 said:

buy now. I think we're holding out for $2.50
Does the target of $2.50 hold regardless of what the markets do in the macro sense? Seems like a lot of people are thinking the end of this week could be a sign of things to come.
Brewmaster
AG
aggiedaniel06 said:

Someone already answered your question pointing to the obvious fact that VIX always settles down over time.

To go into a little bit more detail, VIX is now in backwardation. I.e. near term futures contracts are priced higher than long term ones.

There there are many cool ways in which you can create hedged volatility plays.

As a retail trader now is the only acceptable time to own TVIX/UVXY because when the VIX futures roll, the fund buys the future contract price at a lower price than the near term they are selling. This is an oversimplification, as you have to read their prospectus for their term structure. (BTW yesterday was the quarterly roll date for US indices, part of the reason I expected a volatility surge). Next week is quad witching again.

There are hedgefunds that only trade volatility and when there is a huge amount of money flowing into volatility (July VIX futures) like there has been all of this week, they are usually hedged by shorting July SPX futures.

Also one for your back pocket - one of the guaranteed plays is everytime you have a crazy volatility spike, buy far OTM leap puts on UVXY or TVIX. Their term structure along with contango absolutely shreds them. If I remember correctly you could have opened an August 55/50 UVXY put spread for less than a buck back in March when VIX hit 70. Pretty much guaranteed to be profitable bet if you think about it.
ooof, then going to be some fireworks for sure next week! big swings in both directions it sounds like.

Brilliant on the OTM leap puts!

Cartographer
The target of 2.50 is long term. This stock doesn't necessarily feel the heat from the overall market the same way. If anything it will give you that .50 accumulation zone OA is talking about. Either way, lots of positive news and not a high short interest % means this is a slow grower.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
When did all of you guys join me on the bear train?
First Page Last Page
Page 1750 of 6417

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.