Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,064,794 Views | 224407 Replies | Last: 19 min ago by spud1910
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got in at .86
oldarmy1
AG
DE explosion move. Sold another 25% right here. Calls only
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
gougler08 said:

Prognightmare said:

gougler08 said:

gougler08 said:

Random wash sale question...I sold some stock at a loss on April 6th and then sold puts that expired on May 15th and bought some stock back. I should still be able to count the loss since it was 30+ days apart from sell and buy correct?
Selfishly bumping
I'm not an accountant but I would think you'd still be able to write off the loss.
That's my understanding too, guess I'll just have to remember to look at the end of the year
also not an accountant but when did you sell the puts? I'd think the act of selling the puts would count as a transaction in a "substantially identical security" so if that was within 30 days after April 6 would trigger wash sale rule. (again, not an accountant...)
Grown Pear
AG
OverSeas AG said:

So I have one really bad Long right now. $DAL.

$4 down / share. Would prefer not to take the loss, but I really do not want to be in this baby. if I sold an ITM Covered Call in June 19, I could get 2.39 per share. If I am think of this correctly, the worst that would be happen is that I would be called, and lose $1.70 per share instead of $4.

Would appreciate some thoughts on the above. (Confirmation I am thinking of this properly or some other idea!)
Correction: The worst that could happen is it goes bankrupt, your ~ $2,500 investment goes to zero but you offset that with $239 in premium.
fightintxag13
AG
I see a small gap at 16.67. It couldn't push into it at the end of April, but I imagine someone knows something here and that gap will eventually be filled.
IrishTxAggie
AG
fightintxag13 said:

I see a small gap at 16.67. It couldn't push into it at the end of April, but I imagine someone knows something here and that gap will eventually be filled.
ER on 5/27
Aggies1322
AG
When is NET going to make a run
Touchless
AG
Puts or Calls? Assuming Puts given current price.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
leoj
AG
Touchless said:

Puts or Calls? Assuming Puts given current price.

No sorry, itm calls in MSFT
leoj
AG
Maximus_Meridius
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

There are rumors of some funny money accounting on GE

A little surprising, seeing as it's up almost a dollar today. Figured that kinda news would kept it down.
12thMan86
AG
McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

Ragoo said:

I think I am only going to buy verticals from here on out. Profit is capped but risk is significantly reduced.

I'll tell you what are fun are SPX verticals that expire the same day. They are lottos but work regularly in this violent market. On Friday I bought the 2850-2855 call vertical for .65 late in the day. It maxed out at 4.65. I've done these for the last month. Hit about 40%. When you can hit 40 percent and make anywhere from 5:1 to 9:1, it works. You have to be right on your direction of course. Theta decay works in your favor big time.

I agree I have started buying more verticals. The key is how far out you buy them.

Good luck!

When you bought this how far otm were both these strikes?
Market was at 2825Ish and it was around 1:45 I believe
Well, let's see what happens. I'm in one.
I usually get in these late in the day. Good luck brother!
I wish I wouldn't have done this. The movement is ****ing awesome.
what did you buy and how much did you pay? If you guess right wait until late today to sell so that the Theta decay is maxed out. Usually, if I'm 100% payout, I'll just let them expire and save the commish. They cash settle. SPX only
Touchless
AG
Oh, good. That makes me feel better since I have the $195C.
AggiePeeps06
AG
Can you give a real world example with levels based on how you would play this with a vertical call spread right now?
jbeck3487
AG
RUBI testing LOD
fightintxag13
AG
DE can't stop, won't stop!
BrokeAssAggie
oldarmy1
AG
So to follow up on plan. Sold the $294 SPY calls on the move above $295 as posted. I bought a $294 PUT since I made out like a bandit this morning and will leverage it with purchases of shares if we have a consolidation move around lunch to below those.
McInnis 03
AG
12thMan86 said:

McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

McInnis 03 said:

12thMan86 said:

Ragoo said:

I think I am only going to buy verticals from here on out. Profit is capped but risk is significantly reduced.

I'll tell you what are fun are SPX verticals that expire the same day. They are lottos but work regularly in this violent market. On Friday I bought the 2850-2855 call vertical for .65 late in the day. It maxed out at 4.65. I've done these for the last month. Hit about 40%. When you can hit 40 percent and make anywhere from 5:1 to 9:1, it works. You have to be right on your direction of course. Theta decay works in your favor big time.

I agree I have started buying more verticals. The key is how far out you buy them.

Good luck!

When you bought this how far otm were both these strikes?
Market was at 2825Ish and it was around 1:45 I believe
Well, let's see what happens. I'm in one.
I usually get in these late in the day. Good luck brother!
I wish I wouldn't have done this. The movement is ****ing awesome.
what did you buy and how much did you pay? If you guess right wait until late today to sell so that the Theta decay is maxed out. Usually, if I'm 100% payout, I'll just let them expire and save the commish. They cash settle. SPX only
So about 5 minutes in I bought the 2970c and sold the 2975c for today on the thought that we climb today. The cost was .45.

I like how it's a directional play only with no theta to work against you. The theta decay of the long call is offset by the theta gain on the short call. I always attributed debit spreads to low-IV plays only with no real good purpose, this has opened my eyes big time.
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
Ranger222
AG
Plays for W gap fill?
McInnis 03
AG
Ranger222 said:

Plays for W gap fill?
You know I"v ebeen preaching it for days.

I'm thinking of a put debit spread with 3 weeks on it.......
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
oldarmy1
AG
jbeck3487 said:

RUBI testing LOD
Don't mean to upset the board but I'm happy about that for reasons posted earlier. Just nabbed 5k shares back at $5.37-$5.38 of those sold at $5.70 earlier. Just taking the ebbs and flows of the markets.
leoj
AG
Touchless said:

Oh, good. That makes me feel better since I have the $195C.

Haha sorry man, didn't mean to give you anxiety there. Yeah, definite bullish position.
leoj
AG
Nflx over yesterday's highs after consolidating a bit this morning. Sweeps came in for 5/22 $465 calls today.
oldarmy1
AG
CITI increases TWTR target to $30. Geez thanks for nothing. Idiots!

So basically sell? Is that what you're saying CITI, cause its at your target.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
oldarmy1 said:

It's my fault. I'm holding on to those calls. Don't believe me? I closed out a 289 SPY put last week on Tuesday, right around noon. Go check your chart to see what happened then...

The market ****ing hates me...
cmk10
AG
Spirit Airlines at $9.63. 3 months ago it was at $40 bucks. is there more value going with Spirit or United?
leoj
AG
The fact that twitter isn't a $80-100 stock is criminal. I don't think Jack is a terrible ceo, but I think unlike sq I don't see him taking twitter to the next level.
texagbeliever
I could provide a few stocks for you to short to test out that theory further...
Rice and Fries
oldarmy1 said:

jbeck3487 said:

RUBI testing LOD
Don't mean to upset the board but I'm happy about that for reasons posted earlier. Just nabbed 5k shares back at $5.37-$5.38 of those sold at $5.70 earlier. Just taking the ebbs and flows of the markets.
Guess now is as good of a time to take a dip into the ol RUBI.
Spaceship
AG
Rice and Fries said:

oldarmy1 said:

jbeck3487 said:

RUBI testing LOD
Guess now is as good of a time to take a dip into the ol RUBI.

Join us. The water is lukewarm.
leoj
AG
cmk10 said:

Spirit Airlines at $9.63. 3 months ago it was at $40 bucks. is there more value going with Spirit or United?

I haven't looked up specifics but just keep in mind depending on debt structure and access to capital markets, some airlines could go under or have to drastically restructure, etc. dominoes could still fall in this sector, just like o&g.
Mr President Elect
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

oldarmy1 said:

It's my fault. I'm holding on to those calls. Don't believe me? I closed out a 289 SPY put last week on Tuesday, right around noon. Go check your chart to see what happened then...

The market ****ing hates me...
I feel you. I sold all my OVV stock last week at $5.77 to free up some cash to place some hedges.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
texagbeliever said:

I could provide a few stocks for you to short to test out that theory further...
I've honestly considered selling my misfortune as a service to you guys...
First Page Last Page
Page 1549 of 6412

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.