Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,517,918 Views | 223278 Replies | Last: 20 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
McInnis 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4332856-why-mortgage-reits-plunged-30-to-60-today
khaos288
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

khaos288 said:

Prognightmare said:

If true, the lethality of this disease will be nowhere near what the press is selling and combined with the howitzers that the fed has aimed at the markets, you don't want to be short. JMO.
Who in the hell has no medical history though? haha I need to see what their data classification is to even know if that's newsworthy.

Even more interesting 50% had 3 or more comorbidities
Wonder if obesity counts. That would be bad news for us.
ProgN
Buy Dis, you can trade it or you don't have too. You'll be very happy in a year.
BB675
AG
Any options for day traders other than LADR?
gig em 02
khaos288 said:

gig em 02 said:

I know plenty of people make $300k+ that live paycheck to paycheck. I also know millionaires with less than $100k in "income". Oh well, nothing better than handing thousands of dollars to people that have no idea how to handle their money. If they weren't smart enough to have an emergency fund, why would anyone think they'd be smart enough to use cash appropriately?
This is the worst take I've seen on texags maybe ever.

You think "being smart" is the reason most people don't have an emergency fund? The number of people I know barely scraping by and worrying about rent/mortgage versus the number of people who spend lavishly every month with zero savings has to be an infinite ratio. I don't know anyone in the second category, and tons in the first.
You don't know anyone in the second group, or you aren't aware that 95% of the middle class is in the second group? You don't really think that people can afford $1000 iphones, $50,000 F150s, netflix, data plans, cable, pandora, apple music, gym memberships, eating out, alcohol, cigarettes, etc., do you?

Send me the budgets of 10 of the 'tons' of people you know and I'll carve out plenty over the last decade of economic prosperity for them to have an emergency fund. I know tons of people "barely scraping by" that make six figures because they are financially illiterate, and I know tons of people "barely scraping by" making 5 figures because they are also financially illiterate.
Exsurge Domine
I read somewhere that the average person who makes 250k/year has like 20k liquid to his name
tam2002
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Is this something you recommend for non day-traders as well?

Absolutely...I loaded up today and probably will tomorrow too
aginlakeway
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

I read somewhere that the average person who makes 250k/year has like 20k liquid to his name
It depends for how many years he's made 250k.
Exsurge Domine
aginlakeway said:

Exsurge Domine said:

It shouldn't
IrishTxAggie
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

aginlakeway said:

Exsurge Domine said:

It shouldn't

It does. People that are generally in that income don't keep large amounts of cash around. Money in the bank doesn't "work" for them.
agdaddy04
AG
Which site do you use?
gig em 02
Exsurge Domine said:

The worst part is that's an average. Which means for every 1 person with $200,000 liquid, there are 9 with $0.
agdaddy04
AG
That's the plan, thanks.
gig em 02
IrishTxAggie said:

Exsurge Domine said:

aginlakeway said:

Exsurge Domine said:

It shouldn't

It does. People that are generally in that income don't keep large amounts of cash around. Money in the bank doesn't "work" for them.
Depends how you define "liquid", its not uncommon for people to consider stocks "liquid".
khaos288
AG
gig em 02 said:

khaos288 said:

gig em 02 said:

I know plenty of people make $300k+ that live paycheck to paycheck. I also know millionaires with less than $100k in "income". Oh well, nothing better than handing thousands of dollars to people that have no idea how to handle their money. If they weren't smart enough to have an emergency fund, why would anyone think they'd be smart enough to use cash appropriately?
This is the worst take I've seen on texags maybe ever.

You think "being smart" is the reason most people don't have an emergency fund? The number of people I know barely scraping by and worrying about rent/mortgage versus the number of people who spend lavishly every month with zero savings has to be an infinite ratio. I don't know anyone in the second category, and tons in the first.
You don't know anyone in the second group, or you aren't aware that 95% of the middle class is in the second group? You don't really think that people can afford $1000 iphones, $50,000 F150s, netflix, data plans, cable, pandora, apple music, gym memberships, eating out, alcohol, cigarettes, etc., do you?

Send me the budgets of 10 of the 'tons' of people you know and I'll carve out plenty over the last decade of economic prosperity for them to have an emergency fund.
I don't have the budgets of my friends. That's an insane request. I do know I see them with budget/cash cars, none of them are smokers, and very few are out there buying the newest iphone every year. I can tell you for sure my parents are in this group. The have a 15 year old car, and a 28 year old work van for transportation. They rarely eat out, and would kill to have a couple grand in the bank. They're hoping to continue working well after starting to collect social security so they don't leave us with a pile of bills, and they don't have retirement money anyway.

I think you're spouting rhetoric of the loud few instead of the silent majority. I can already tell there's not going to be a point to this arguing relevant to investing though, so we need not even continue conversing.
Exsurge Domine
gig em 02 said:

Exsurge Domine said:

The worst part is that's an average. Which means for every 1 person with $200,000 liquid, there are 9 with $0.

I actually meant median the average is higher
ProgN
I wouldn't trade options on LADR or any stock under $10 per share for that matter.

What are you looking to do?
What is your risk threshold?
What is your time frame?

We need more information before we can/should give you any recommendations.
IrishTxAggie
AG
gig em 02 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Exsurge Domine said:

aginlakeway said:

Exsurge Domine said:

It shouldn't

Depends how you define "liquid", its not uncommon for people to consider stocks "liquid".

I define liquid as I can walk into a bank and walk out with $20k in under 5mins...without it being a robbery
ProgN

I'm skeptical of the Chinese but it appears cases are decreasing in countries ahead of us. If this is true and it doesn't become the apocalypse that the market has priced in, well y'all know.
ProgN
IrishTxAggie said:

gig em 02 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Exsurge Domine said:

aginlakeway said:

Exsurge Domine said:

It shouldn't

I define liquid as I can walk into a bank and walk out with $20k in under 5mins...without it being a robbery
20K? My divorce is almost over. Where can I meet you for hookers and blow?
khaos288
AG
Prognightmare said:

I'm skeptical of the Chinese but it appears cases are decreasing in countries ahead of us. If this is true and it does become the apocalypse that the market has priced in, well y'all know.
News is news. Even if this is just pretty close propaganda, I'll take it
ProgN
I corrected my post to "doesn't"
BB675
AG
I am looking to capitalize on day trading right now with the market being volatile and plan on investing for the longer term once the market stabilizes. However, I do think this strategy could easily backfire on me but I am ok with the risk. I am new to this and enjoyed the thrill of FUJIY and LADR shooting up today. I know you shouldn't do this because this won't always be the case but I listened to you guys and it worked out for me today.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Prognightmare said:

IrishTxAggie said:

gig em 02 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Exsurge Domine said:

aginlakeway said:

Exsurge Domine said:

It shouldn't

20K? My divorce is almost over. Where can I meet you for hookers and blow?

Two things I don't share:
My wh0res
My cocaine

I'll raise a glass of bourbon with ya though.
khaos288
AG
Prognightmare said:

I corrected my post to "doesn't"
oh yeah, I knew what you meant and was just agreeing
docaggie
AG
There may be some selection bias here though.
What they're currently doing in Italy is that they've established criteria for whether someone gets a ventilator or not. Over a certain age? No ventilator. They are literally selecting who potentially lives or dies.
So, the older and sicker are the ones left off ventilatory support, therefore they are more likely to die. I'm not saying that's why those with more co-morbidities are dying - as it can certainly be the fact that they're sicker to start with - but it can play a role.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ragoo
AG
docaggie said:

What they're currently doing in Italy is that they've established criteria for whether someone gets a ventilator or not. Over a certain age? No ventilator. They are literally selecting who potentially lives or dies.
So, the older and sicker are the ones left off ventilatory support, therefore they are more likely to die. I'm not saying that's why those with more co-morbidities are dying - as it can certainly be the fact that they're sicker to start with - but it can play a role.

universal healthcare
docaggie
AG
We are fortunate in that we have 3x as many ventilators per capita as Italy.
And GM is looking to see if their plant can be used to make new ones. If they can? God bless GM!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
IrishTxAggie
AG
docaggie said:

If you were a doctor and you only had one ventilator, who would you prioritize; 70+ y/o or early 40+ y/o?

Assuming your handle is what I think it is, doctors make life and death choices all the time. It's not that they want to, but they have to weigh certain situations and potential outcomes.
khaos288
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

docaggie said:

If you were a doctor and you only had one ventilator, who would you prioritize; 70+ y/o or early 40+ y/o?
Yep that's just pure triage/playing the odds.

One surgeon on duty and a dude with a gsw head comes in vs an appendectomy? Easy choice.
Ragoo
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

docaggie said:

Assuming your handle is what I think it is, doctors make life and death choices all the time. It's not that they want to, but they have to weigh certain situations and potential outcomes.
odds the 40 y/o survives without? Odds the 70 y/o?

Some I-robot *****
ProgN
I have no doubt tha5 is the case. However, the numbers of people infected and then dying are decreasing rapidly in countries ahead of us. If these reports turn out to be accurate then this correction is almost complete, IMO.
McInnis 03
AG
The bazooka bill

https://financialservices.house.gov/uploadedfiles/fsc_covid-19_legislative_package_-_03.18.20.pdf
ProgN
BB675 said:

I am looking to capitalize on day trading right now with the market being volatile and plan on investing for the longer term once the market stabilizes. However, I do think this strategy could easily backfire on me but I am ok with the risk. I am new to this and enjoyed the thrill of FUJIY and LADR shooting up today. I know you shouldn't do this because this won't always be the case but I listened to you guys and it worked out for me today.
You may want to look at options out to June-Aug on big names that are depressed, like DIS, AAPL, TTD, etc. you can trade options like stocks but you'll control more shares and that time window should give you protection. Those will also be the names money pours into when the true reversal takes place.
agdaddy04
AG
So I wonder what they consider the "length" of the pandemic?
First Page Last Page
Page 1142 of 6380

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.