Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

22,092,664 Views | 224496 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by flashplayer
Aggie_2463
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just think, in a few weeks they will announce a vaccine and some medication for the Corona virus (probably made out of essential oils with a splash of lime juice), and we will bounce back!
59 South
AG
Well I suppose this could be a double bottom but more unlikely than not.
Aggie_2463
AG
Pignorant said:

I maybe an idiot, but this seems like an great opportunity to setup long term buys.
I've been moving 10% or so of my 401K that I had in bonds to stock funds after each big drop, I still have some in bonds waiting though for next week.
FriscoKid
AG
This Close!
Talon2DSO
AG
I think you're right. I'm buying equities with the drop. And adding puts. Puts allow me to make quick cash and the money I have tied in equities isnt affected as long as I dont sell. I'm not a very sophisticated investor though.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Under 3000 on S&P. Europe did the same thing with this selloff into the close
McInnis 03
AG
That 300p on spy that was 1.00 yesterday is $7.70 now
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
ETH - Extended Trading Hours --- RTH - Regular Trading Hours
ORH - Opening Range (1st 30min) High --- ORL - Opening Range Low
R1, R2, R3 - Resistance 1, 2, or 3 --- S1, S2, S3 - Support 1, 2 or 3
leoj
AG
Aggie_2463 said:

Just think, in a few weeks they will announce a vaccine and some medication for the Corona virus (probably made out of essential oils with a splash of lime juice), and we will bounce back!

Even when they do, it will take time to ramp up production and get it out to affected areas.

That was such an ugly close. 2800 next?
Cromagnum
AG
Pignorant said:

I maybe an idiot, but this seems like an great opportunity to setup long term buys.

That's what I'm doing. Picked up 100 shares of XOM on the cheap today as a start. Will see what else I do tomorrow.
oldarmy1
AG
Well those SPY puts are out of this world.
claym711
AG
Very concerning close. Again, there had not been a weekly like this since 2009. Want to see a big wick tomorrow.

I have normalized metrics on A variety of underlying data for every day back through 09 and All week my metric analogies have been from 2009-2011.
khaos288
AG
Had 293 puts and sold for a quick 50% profit. theyre now a triple+
RangerRick9211
AG
$BYND off a cliff AH.
McInnis 03
AG
oldarmy1 said:

Well those SPY puts are out of this world.

Closed above 9 for the ones I spooked on.
***If this post is on Business and Investing, take it with a grain of salt. I am wrong way more than I am right (but I am less wrong than I used to be) and if you follow me you will be too.***

B&I Key:
oldarmy1
AG
claym711 said:

Very concerning close. Again, there had not been a weekly like this since 2009. Want to see a big wick tomorrow.

I have normalized metrics on A variety of underlying data for every day back through 09 and All week my metric analogies have been from 2009-2011.

Screw the close. Look at after hours. Off the cliff and I boughT SPY against the $301 Puts. Still have $290's for tomorrow and then the March ones.
leoj
AG
oldarmy1 said:

claym711 said:

Screw the close. Look at after hours. Off the cliff and I boughT SPY against the $301 Puts. Still have $290's for tomorrow and then the March ones.

Torbush
HoustonAg2014
AG
Does a Biden win this weekend settle the markets or does it even matter at this point?
Agswinning
If this is a dumb question, I apologize.
Do the mutual fund managers rebalance their portfolio at the end of each month to allocate percentage of stocks/bonds? Curious how that would appear as buying and possibly stabilize the market tomorrow.
RangerRick9211
AG
RIP $BIG AH.
McInnis 03
AG
HOLY **** APT

B&I Key:
HoustonAg2014
AG
Oh that doctor on CNBC wasn't political at all... I wonder if all of the CNBC anchors shorted or got out of the market before this broke. It seems like a damn play on tv.
Talon2DSO
AG
Well...my investments are down but im not selling those this week so it doesnt matter. I did buy a couple SPY puts that have made me $617 today and I'll likely sell them tomorrow for a nice little profit. That's how I'll build my cash reserves to buy equities. Buy put options, let the market fall, then cash them out to buy equities for long positions.

I dont have as many chips in the game as you guys. I have about $5000 in equities and $1000 for options mainly because my wife doesn't want me playing with our retirement money (she's a financial planner so she's doing the real deal on her end)
AgShaun00
AG
bynd quarter looked strong. Why the tanking?
one MEEN Ag
AG
Cromagnum said:

Pignorant said:

That's what I'm doing. Picked up 100 shares of XOM on the cheap today as a start. Will see what else I do tomorrow.
XOM might not be the best stock to try to get on the cheap. They have a lot of market headwinds with oil/gas prices. I think companies that sell software are going to be the best bang for the buck. They don't have manufacturing in China, they just have consumer issues to deal with. But people are still going to demand apple and microsoft.

ProgN
Earnings mean exactly dick in a market like this week
59 South
AG
Prognightmare said:

Earnings mean exactly dick in a market like this week

Made SQ hold up well today.
Brewmaster
AG
even GOLD (Barrick) dropping today

SPY:
291 next level if 294.7 doesn't hold... more levels, ouch!

59 South
AG
Geez I was slammed 2:30 - 3:00 but managed to buy a few SPY 295 puts for 1.80 when 301 broke around 2:53. 50% in 7 minutes. Rooting for a massive red open tomorrow to sell in the first few minutes. 2900-2940 range is key. Below that is 2850 ish and then gap at 2718. This is nuts. At some point it's going to boomerang back.
Talon2DSO
AG
If you're holding a SPY 290p and it drops below that, what's the value then? Is it beneficial to sell it quick or to hold as it drops then sell right before expiration?
RangerRick9211
AG
SPY @ $295 $294 now AH.
deadbq03
AG
leoj said:

I think part of the reason people are freaking out is we can barely test for it and someone can have the virus for two weeks before showing symptoms. Makes it pretty hard to deal with, even if it isn't as deadly as a SARS or normal flu.
Why do people keep saying it's not as deadly as the normal flu?

The reported numbers might be dead wrong (perhaps there's a ton of unreported cases), but right now they point to a 2% mortality rate. Seasonal flu is less than 0.1% mortality.
tailgatetimer10
AG
How do you know how many have been infected to develop a mortality rate?

The fact of the matter is, we have decades of flu studies, and only months of coronavirus (which are sheltered by the Chinese government) to nail down these statistics.

Most people I see are discussing the significant amount of deaths the flu has caused versus the amount in coronavirus.
leoj
AG
You're right, I was mainly thinking of SARS.
Post removed:
by user
Cromagnum
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Cromagnum said:

Pignorant said:

XOM might not be the best stock to try to get on the cheap. They have a lot of market headwinds with oil/gas prices. I think companies that sell software are going to be the best bang for the buck. They don't have manufacturing in China, they just have consumer issues to deal with. But people are still going to demand apple and microsoft.

They haven't been this low in 15 years and are about as diverse as big oil gets. Tomorrow I'm looking at tech companies to see where I place some bets.
First Page Last Page
Page 1026 of 6415

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.