Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Multi-level Marketing/Pyramid Schemes

56,622 Views | 297 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by IrishTxAggie
fishag04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Came across a youtube video of a woman who uses Kyani AND it cured her MS!!! Holy crap, how is this ground breaking product not being pushed to ALL people with MS???

I have been told with a straight face that it cured somebody of cancer.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Another one that I got hit up on was Primerica.

I was pretty good friends with the guy in college and we both ended up back in Dallas. I get a call one day not long after we graduated asking me if I wanted to grab lunch. I'm thinking, "Hell yeah. Would be good to catch up". Anyways, we decide on time and place. I show up, we sit down, and not 5 minutes into the conversation he starts in on this Primerica bull****. All about how I can change my life and other people's life. Has all sorts of props and literature. It was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever witnessed and despite my best effort I couldn't derail his sales pitch. Needless to say, I scarfed down my food and got the hell out of there. I thought that would be the end of it. Oh no. This ****ing guy proceeded to call me at least 3-4 times a week. I wish I was exaggerating. Pissed me off to no end. The constant phone calls went on for about 6 months. Long story short, we don't talk anymore.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Northwestern Mutual follows a similar sales program....
FriscoKid
AG
Data Network Affiliates.

You get paid to write down people's license plate numbers. You only have to write down 20 a month with location that you saw the car and they will send you a check. If you recruit more people then you will get paid even more. It's 100% legit. I know someone that actually paid to be an associate.

(i think the words that I said to them were "are you f***in crazy)
Stive
AG
quote:
Northwestern Mutual follows a similar sales program....
There's a huge difference in an over aggressive sales person and a MLM/Pyramid.

A lot of Northwestern Mutual's young guys fit the former, but it in no way, shape, or form is a MLM/Pyramid scheme.

BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I had a friend unload my cellphone number into a leads database, and got a recruitment call from one of the slick talking "power seller" wenches from the corporate office. First thing she says when I pick up the phone "Greg, how would you like make $50,000 a year?" Before I could answer she says "One of our top sales guys, Drew, gave me your number and we think you have just what it takes to make a fortune in our business". I hung up the phone after that, but I realized that the people they prey on are the ones who think of $50k/year as "making it". Obviously that pitch line sounds ridiculous to anyone but a new College grad, even people who make under $50k/year aren't going to be blown away by that pitch, only those that make 8-$15/hr or so would be enticed by that.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
quote:
I had a friend unload my cellphone number into a leads database, and got a recruitment call from one of the slick talking "power seller" wenches from the corporate office. First thing she says when I pick up the phone "Greg, how would you like make $50,000 a year?" Before I could answer she says "One of our top sales guys, Drew, gave me your number and we think you have just what it takes to make a fortune in our business". I hung up the phone after that, but I realized that the people they prey on are the ones who think of $50k/year as "making it". Obviously that pitch line sounds ridiculous to anyone but a new College grad, even people who make under $50k/year aren't going to be blown away by that pitch, only those that make 8-$15/hr or so would be enticed by that.

"$50K/year? I could make more than that each month with Kyani."
Bitter Old Man
AG
I found this....

http://assets.kyani.net/forms/en-us/comp_plan_overview.pdf

I'm an educated man, but damned if I could make sense of it....
Stive
AG
Apparently I don't run in Kyani circles; this is the first I've heard of it. But if one more person near me signs up for Plexus and starts badgering us about it, I'm going to punch kittens.

Yes, yes, I'm sure it can prevent cancer and cure diabetes......but no thanks.
Satellite of Love
quote:
I found this....

Let me get the help of my good buddy Tim Robbins from Team America World Police to explain it to you:
quote:
Tim Robbins: Let me explain to you how this works: you see, the corporations finance Team America, and then Team America goes out... and the corporations sit there in their... in their corporation buildings, and... and, and see, they're all corporation-y... and they make money.
bwynne13
AG
I had a buddy try and get me to join Kyani. He told me to come to this event but wouldn't tell me what it was. When I saw their presentation I laugh inside. They mentioned the product for 2min then how you're going to be rich in no time for the next 20min. They were talking about how you could get a free car soon and be making like 100K per month once you get towards the top. Unbelievable how people fall for this ****.
bwynne13
AG
quote:
quote:
I found this....

Yeah makes no sense. An engineer buddy and I tried to calculate some stuff and we don't think this company would exists if the payouts were accurate.
Vernada
AG
Anybody know Barefoot Millionaire? I'm guessing it's sleazy mlm but my very quick google research didn't tell me much about it.
94chem
I'd rather convert my life savings to bit coin than join an MLM scam.
double aught
AG
This thread is enjoyable. I see Thrive a lot too. Terribly annoying.
MAS444
AG
I can't believe there's been no mention of Arbonne (sp?) in this thread. That's the one I hear about in my circles... So annoying.
Mollie03
AG
Arbonne was the hot one with people in my circle around '04-'05 right after I got out of school. Have not heard a peep about it in years. Seems MLMs all reach a peak at some point and people lose interest for some reason. Not sure what all the factors with that are. Based on how popular it seems to be, I predict Plexus will be the next one to peak. I mean, people are selling Plexus themed t-shirts and stuff on Etsy...people seriously wear shirts with Plexus written on them. When the masses figure out they are paying $35 a year to sell crap and not getting anywhere they will move on. I know of several women who have gotten their Plexus Lexus. One was already a successful business owner.
Petrino1
I have an old friend who posts nonstop Plexus updates on facebook, which was odd to me because shes not the type to get involved with these things. When I asked her what was up with it, she said that all she does is posts updates on facebook and then gets paid for it. She didnt go into too much detail, but said its pretty easy money for her time and effort.
double aught
AG
Interesting. They would have to pay me a lot of money to get me to do something that would cause me to lose the respect of most of my friends on Facebook.
Post removed:
by user
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
We had a Ag use our Aggie Club Membership roster to get folks in Amway.

Needless to say he's no longer welcome in the Club.

Everybody is a lead
LeftyAg89
AG
I'm guilty, I actually joined an MLM back in mid-late 1990's. Anyone ever heard of Excel Communications? Dallas billionaire Kenny Troutt founded the company.

It was before the cell phone era... when everyone paid for long distance by the minute. Their LD rates were very good. Basically all I had to do was get people to give Excel long distance a try. I made money on every minute they used the long distance. Then of course I had to convince others to become "sellers" as well... and I got a % of their customers long distance bills as well. And so on and so on.

It was a great concept and I did make a profit and earned monthly checks. There were doctors, lawyers, in it that made TONS, quit their practices etc... they had great selling power since they were successful doctors.
I think I brought in 4 other sellers and I had 20 customers. If the other 4 "sellers" had done the same as I had done, I would have made a decent monthly check. But, of course they didn't and it fizzled out. Excel was starting to broaden their market... into a satellite tv provider etc and started to form the business in Mexico.. I began reaching out to people in Mexico to see if they would be interested in selling LD service... but eventually Troutt sold Excel to Teleglobe for $3.5 billion.

Oh well, my first and last MLM.

Zemira
AG
Is American Income Life an MLM or just a sleazy life insurance company?
johnson2012
AG
Haven't seen anyone memtion Genesis Pure yet. Coworker(yea, he's not the brighest) is in and it seems the exact same as all other health MLM's mentioned here.
JJxvi
AG
There was a company while I was in school that used MLM to monetize ads that would display while the user base surfed the net. You got credit for your surfing time plus everybody you signed up. Which meant that everybody was sending and receiving email spam to sign up constantly, and everybody in the dorms had hacked machines that pretended to move the mouse and click around for hours to trick it. I don't think they were exactly marketing as a substitute for an income or actual job though.
The Fife
I remember that one with the ads.

There was also Kanosis some time later. Lost a good friend from A&M over that one when I told him it was yet another pyramid scheme which of course, it turned out to be.
diehard03
Interesting as well. Not sure how real it is, though:

http://usincome.kyani.net/
PPAag06
AG
Funny you say that. My wife sold (still sells) Plexus and posted quite a bit on Facebook originally. She started in Feb 2015 but her friends began to complain and she quit posting (May 2015). She still receives residual income from her downline and customers that still take it. I just input her income for '15 taxes and realized she made a little over $7k. The person that signed her up is a friend also and her income was $32k in 2015. I hope they saved for taxes like I advised...
P.C. Principal
quote:
My friend has been trying to sell me Thrive. This may sound like a stupid question, but is that a total pyramid scheme too? I'm super skeptical.
Bitter Old Man
AG
quote:
quote:
My friend has been trying to see me Thrive. This may sound like a stupid question, but is that a total pyramid scheme too? I'm super skeptical.

EDIT: I"M TALKING ABOUT THRIVE MARKET, NOT THE SUPPLEMENTS.....

No, Thrive pays a referral fee if you use the link they post. So, basically its for free groceries... We use Thrive, but there is no Pyramid to it, its just a delivery service and that's how they are marketing on social media.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
the first rule of pyramid schemes:

quote:
we use Thrive, but there is no Pyramid to it,

IrishTxAggie
AG
quote:
the first rule of pyramid schemes:

quote:
we use Thrive, but there is no Pyramid to it,

First rule of pyramid schemes:
If they must say its not a pyramid scheme, it is a pyramid scheme...
Bitter Old Man
AG
EDIT I'm talking about Thrive Market, not the supplements.... yes that is a Pyramid scheme...
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
I know you are joking, but to be a Pyramid scheme there has to be a layering. If you use our link and then get your own link, we don't get anything. . We only get paid of you click on the link and order something right then, and its a flat bonus, not a % of purchase. I think its a $50 credit if someone uses our link and signs up. Once you sign up, we don't keep getting paid on your additional purchases.
Yessir, just kidding.
bmks270
AG
quote:
I know you are joking, but to be a Pyramid scheme there has to be a layering. If you use our link and then get your own link, we don't get anything. . We only get paid of you click on the link and order something right then, and its a flat bonus, not a % of purchase. I think its a $50 credit if someone uses our link and signs up. Once you sign up, we don't keep getting paid on your additional purchases.

Sounds like affiliate marketing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.