Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Multi-level Marketing/Pyramid Schemes

56,425 Views | 297 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by IrishTxAggie
Wyoming Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it just me or does it seem that so many of these are popping up out of nowhere these days? I saw one guy pop across my feed on Facebook last night acting like this MLM company, Kyani, is the greatest company of all time and you're guaranteed to get rich.

Are people really this stupid?

I mean, of course you're going to have 1% or less that's going to do very well for themselves, but the rest are going to fail and fail miserably.

Anyway, just wondering if yall have made the same observation.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I have some friends that were on the groundfloor of getting Kyani into Houston and seem to have done very well, but it is god-awful annoying seeing it all over Facebook and hearing about it in person. They are constantly talking about 'free cars', 'residual income' and other pitch words to lure more suckers in. They have a TON of people under them, some of which have told me that they haven's sold s*it since getting involved.

It seems like every other month there is some new pyramid scheme though. One of our neighbors is into Keep jewelry. Seems overpriced and cheap.

I personally think Kyani has to be one of the most annoying groups, next to Advocare.
Engine10
AG
Add It Works! To the list.
Cancelled
AG
We get hit with these every now and then. I can't believe how stupid people can be.
aggiebq03+
quote:
Are people really this stupid?

Yes.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Monavie
Shakelology
Herbalife
Advocare
It Works
Avon
Scentsy
Kyani
Mannatech

I see all of these on Facebook and I obviously have a lot of stupid friends. I've started unfriending people because it got to the point of annoying nd almost harassing (Didn't help that I would blast the product and the sales platform on their posts). When someone starts off their sentence with "I'm going to explain to you how this company IS NOT a pyramid scheme." It's a pyramid scheme....

It reminds me of the old mantra regarding sales and marketing (which I do):

"There's a sucker born every minute. There's a salesman for every sucker"
Football&Finance
AG
been wondering what Kyani was. I see an S-class with a Kyani logo on the door parked outside of the post oak & westheimer Starbucks on some afternoons, was curious what they were selling folks.
The Collective
AG
People are desperate.
LostInLA07
AG
I guarantee you those companies are making bank off of the "free" cars. They aren't free...they charge for them every month and I'm sure they are charging more than it costs the company to finance the vehicle.

Every person with one of those vehicles could lease it for a lower price and not have some company's logo plastered on it.
Bitter Old Man
AG
The one I see mostly is Rodan and Fields from my wife's friends. I immediately unfollow anyone who posts MLM stuff. The RF deal is that they offer you discounted products if you start selling, but you have to buy a certain amount of product to get/stay in, so they have to sell to their friends, but its better if they can get another friend to sign up because they get credit for that, and so on.

Where ignorant people get in trouble is when they don't make their monthly quota and are forced to buy stuff they don't need just to stay in the game. Then they try to peddle that stuff to their friends for whatever they can get for it. Usually they use it as giveaway's for marketing.

Obviously Im not a member, so I probably don't have the details exactly right. That being said, I also have an attorney friend who is working a Class Action against a MLM, and thinks if they win that they can replicate the case on most of the MLM companies.
fishag04
AG
Had a brief discussion about Kyani on the general board a few days ago. Some of the money these folks claim to be bringing in is outlandish. Poster over there claims the pictures of the checks that are getting posted are fake. I did notice recently that the check pictures have pretty much stopped.

What hasn't stopped is the Ferrari and Lambo pictures that you are sure to get once you join.
oldarmy1
AG
If you send me $25 and email 10 friends asking them to do the same then I will give you the answer.
Wyoming Aggie
AG

I watched this video on Kyani's business opportunity last night, and I was practically laughing at the end. I mean, who could possibly buy into this idea?

Additionally, if I'm looking to get into a business, I'm Googling it, right? If the first thing that comes up is "SCAM" or "Is this a SCAM", that's kind of a big red flag to me.

Anyway, I wish more could be done against these companies. They are essentially preying and profiting on people that are literally too stupid to know better.
10andBOUNCE
AG
My wife is currently a sales rep for Usborne children's books. It is a MLM company. She created a separate Facebook group to post advertising and such that people who have joined know what to expect and are interested in keeping up with the books, promotions, etc. I don't think she would have done it if she didn't believe so much in the product. Our son has really enjoyed the books we have gotten as well as other folks who have purchased. Overall it has been a good experience for her and given her something to do outside of raising our son. Definitely nothing more than some extra spending money for us.

It is kind of weird how it works, but she asks people to "host" Facebook parties - and they invite friends to join. My wife then shows several videos about the books and has discussions, giveaways, etc. The host then gets a certain amount of credit based on the sales associated with that party. Seems like most hosts get anywhere from $50-200. Pretty harmless overall. She has handled it well and hasn't been overbearing in asking people to host or the few people she's "recruited" to become reps.
Post removed:
by user
Wyoming Aggie
AG
quote:
My wife is currently a sales rep for Usborne children's books. It is a MLM company. She created a separate Facebook group to post advertising and such that people who have joined know what to expect and are interested in keeping up with the books, promotions, etc. I don't think she would have done it if she didn't believe so much in the product. Our son has really enjoyed the books we have gotten as well as other folks who have purchased. Overall it has been a good experience for her and given her something to do outside of raising our son. Definitely nothing more than some extra spending money for us.

It is kind of weird how it works, but she asks people to "host" Facebook parties - and they invite friends to join. My wife then shows several videos about the books and has discussions, giveaways, etc. The host then gets a certain amount of credit based on the sales associated with that party. Seems like most hosts get anywhere from $50-200. Pretty harmless overall. She has handled it well and hasn't been overbearing in asking people to host or the few people she's "recruited" to become reps.

Good for your wife. And I'm not really talking about those opportunities per se. As you say, I'm guessing your wife is doing this on the side to just have some extra money in your pockets. I doubt they are claiming you'll get rich beyond your wildest dreams like most other MLM schemes.

That's my biggest problem with most of them. That they claim to be some magic bullet to get rich and that it's easy.

Like the guy I mentioned in my OP. I went through some of his other posts and he was saying he only works maybe two hours a day and implying that you can get rich working this way.

I just think it's scary companies like Kyani can be allowed to operate and give people this impression. They are preying on people who are too stupid to know any better. I went through many LinkedIn profiles that had links to Kyani last night, and it was your typical MLM folks that would be susceptible to a "get rich quick" ploy. They have no education, habitual job hoppers from crappy job to crappy job, and then they "found" Kyani.

diehard03
quote:
I watched this video on Kyani's business opportunity last night, and I was practically laughing at the end. I mean, who could possibly buy into this idea?

Additionally, if I'm looking to get into a business, I'm Googling it, right? If the first thing that comes up is "SCAM" or "Is this a SCAM", that's kind of a big red flag to me.

Anyway, I wish more could be done against these companies. They are essentially preying and profiting on people that are literally too stupid to know better.

I listened to this and I was also laughing. All I could think about was the old SNL Infinity toilet ads:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/infiniti-toilet/n10506

But, the video does answer the OPs question - these things pop up when economic perception is low.
diehard03
quote:
I just think it's scary companies like Kyani can be allowed to operate and give people this impression. They are preying on people who are too stupid to know any better. I went through many LinkedIn profiles that had links to Kyani last night, and it was your typical MLM folks that would be susceptible to a "get rich quick" ploy. They have no education, habitual job hoppers from crappy job to crappy job, and then they "found" Kyani.

What I think is worse is that most of them sell "training seminars" to help you grow your business...and basically you get the "winners put our plans into action and losers didn't" and "if you want it enough, you'll be successful. If you arent selling, you must not want it enough".
jac4
AG
So what's the scoop on Isagenix. My wife has a friend on FB that talks about her new 6 figure career. They do seem to go on a lot of vacations related to aide genie though.
Bitter Old Man
AG
quote:
So what's the scoop on Isagenix. My wife has a friend on FB that talks about her new 6 figure career. They do seem to go on a lot of vacations related to aide genie though.
Does $5,000.00 count as six figures???
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I'm glad this thread popped up because I have been dumbfounded by the amount of smart people I know popping up on Facebook with their "I'm an independent consultant for" or "I'm trying to build a business" posts trying to flog some new groundbreaking shake or herb or nail wrap or candle burner or whatever.

It's ridiculous, and it's even cost me a friend. I had a good buddy who invited my wife and I over for dinner, and when we got there, had this huge presentation set up for how I should give him $1400 or so for my own start up kit or some crap.
FriscoKid
AG
I know a Thrive "salesperson".

They trippled the size of their house (even though they couldn't save 3% down) on their old one and needed the sale of their old house to get a down payment. They got the "free car payment" on a luxury car because they were VIP in the great MLM company.

Now the sales have dried up and they have to pay for the car that they couldn't afford and are stuck in a house that they should have never bought and can't afford.

They thought the MLM was a great way to get rich.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I think I read somewhere that a study showed 99.71% of MLM participants lost money overall during their time with an MLM
IrishTxAggie
AG
That figure seems low to me...
Wyoming Aggie
AG
quote:
I'm glad this thread popped up because I have been dumbfounded by the amount of smart people I know popping up on Facebook with their "I'm an independent consultant for" or "I'm trying to build a business" posts trying to flog some new groundbreaking shake or herb or nail wrap or candle burner or whatever.

It's ridiculous, and it's even cost me a friend. I had a good buddy who invited my wife and I over for dinner, and when we got there, had this huge presentation set up for how I should give him $1400 or so for my own start up kit or some crap.

That's insane. I would have a meltdown if any of my friends did that to me.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
quote:
I think I read somewhere that a study showed 99.71% of MLM participants lost money overall during their time with an MLM

Yep, yet they boast all these huge production figures in the billions of dollars. The moron MLM folks think before starting out, "well, I need to get me a piece of that." not knowing that less than 1% sees the vast majority of that.

It's just mind boggling to me how people buy-in to that stuff. Seriously, go on YouTube and check out some promos for these "get rich quick" MLM schemes. They make me freaking laugh, because I'm thinking to myself the whole time, "Wow, some people are watching this same video and eating it all up."

Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Kyani is the most ridiculous MLM I've ever seen. This ass clown I follow on Facebook is the biggest Kyani proponent I've ever seen. Talking about six figure incomes...a month. The dream car program and luxurious vacations all the time. He posts these motivational videos all the time like he's some business magnate and even goes so far as to consider himself an entrepreneur. GTFO here with your entrepreneur ****. Oh but he can't just come out and say what he's trying to sell...you gotta message him for the juicy details. GTFO here with your entrepreneur ****.

Also, I'm pretty sure Kyani isn't footing the entire bill for your "dream car". It's still in your name. They are just giving you a monthly allowance (amount is based on level on the pyramid) and these idiots are going out and buying lambos and Benz's. This is probably driven by pressure from those above them. It's all about the image.

It doesn't bother me seeing his updates...in fact, I look forward to them. It's ****ing hilarious.
topher06
I can understand that some people might think they are doing it right. However, if you are part of one of these schemes, your sole goal in life is to guilt people who care about you (or used to) into buying an extremely overpriced product. There are no exceptions to this rule, and they are all *******s.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
quote:
Kyani is the most ridiculous MLM I've ever seen. This ass clown I follow on Facebook is the biggest Kyani proponent I've ever seen. Talking about six figure incomes...a month. The dream car program and luxurious vacations all the time. He posts these motivational videos all the time like he's some business magnate and even goes so far as to consider himself an entrepreneur. GTFO here with your entrepreneur ****. Oh but he can't just come out and say what he's trying to sell...you gotta message him for the juicy details. GTFO here with your entrepreneur ****.

Also, I'm pretty sure Kyani isn't footing the entire bill for your "dream car". It's still in your name. They are just giving you a monthly allowance (amount is based on level on the pyramid) and these idiots are going out and buying lambos and Benz's. This is probably driven by pressure from those above them. It's all about the image.

It doesn't bother me seeing his updates...in fact, I look forward to them. It's ****ing hilarious.

I'd love it if you PM'ed me his name so I can Facebook stalk him. It's always funny to see people who think they have it all figured out.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
I can understand that some people might think they are doing it right. However, if you are part of one of these schemes, your sole goal in life is to guilt people who care about you (or used to) into buying an extremely overpriced product. There are no exceptions to this rule, and they are all *******s.

I was actually thinking that if one of us business people, who has a big family, and is active in church, and youth sports, etc etc; just didn't give a crap about anything and wanted to just wrong the last cent out of everyone they knew by leveraging whatever relationship or bond they had, you might be able to squeeze out a profit
aggiesq
AG
Iraqi Dinars

Yes, people are THAT dumb
Noble07
AG
A woman moved into my old neighborhood and got a bunch of other women to join Rodan & Fields. They all recently paid a ton of money to attend a conference out of state to "help them grow their business."

These are all college educated women that fell for it. Unbelievable.
gougler08
AG
My wife uses the Kyani stuff and it's really helped with some health problems she had. She sells it now but is smart enough to know that she doesn't need to move up the pyramid, she just does it as it's something she likes and can make a little side money.

I'm not really a fan of it, but outside of a one time spend (which has been recouped) it hasn't cost us anything else

That being said, she doesn't promote any of the BS make 6 figure ads of anything like that. She recognizes that for what it is.
Mollie03
AG
Never heard of kyani. Plexus is the one I constantly see and promises to cure every ailment possible. If product so good why not sell to Walmart and cut out all the middle men? Or have to charge people a fee to sell. I hate MLMs. I hide from my Facebook feed everyone who starts selling.
aggiebq03+
quote:
A woman moved into my old neighborhood and got a bunch of other women to join Rodan & Fields. They all recently paid a ton of money to attend a conference out of state to "help them grow their business."

These are all college educated women that fell for it. Unbelievable.

If you've wondered why college is getting so expensive, it's because people like this are clogging them up and driving up the price.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.