Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,279,074 Views | 28676 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Comeby!
JD Shellnut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TxAg20 said:

Bismarck said:

Keep in mind that he knows very little about the oil industry. Just listen to the video linked in this article where he describes pipes the size of the room he's in being manufactured in China and shipped here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/01/30/pipelines-trump-gives-wrong-explanation-of-how-theyre-built-shipped.html

Pipes bigger than this room.
They cut them 1/2 to ship them, which hurts the pipe.

If he makes it to the next Presidential election without being impeached, his opposition should just make a video of these things he pulls out of ass.

I still thank god that he won instead of Hillary. I'm in midstream and her administration would have made it almost impossible to obtain permits for a new line. If she would had won, the DAPL would never been completed. I just started a new project in Virginia, and its amazing how much misinformation is spread about pipelines up here. There are protesters everywhere and I can definitely see things getting a bit hairy. I do find it ironic when they drive in their fossil fuel burning cars to come protest the construction of a pipeline.
TheVarian
AG
Quote:

I do find it ironic when they drive in their fossil fuel burning cars to come protest the construction of a pipeline.

I always think about the folks who were protesting the rig in seattle(I think it was there, or somewhere on the West Coast), from their plastic Kayaks. Silly hippies
cajunaggie08
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

perhaps include the 4 folks in Louisiana with an IQ over room temp and sober)
Hey thats me. oh wait, AND SOBER. Nevermind
Comeby!
AG
I think Trump will get oil right in the end. He's a number guy and has smart folks working for him. He likes to float headlines out there then sit back and see the way the wind blows then when time to get to the nut cutting he relies on the data.
Example: he throws the world under the bus and says no more trade deficits. World leaders reach out and agree to individual trade agreements.

Example 2: Tells North Korea there will be fire and fury the world has never seen before. Bombs Syria after Putin draws a line. Rocketman exclaims 'That dude is crazy'. Agrees to shut down nuclear weapons.
Zemira
AG
So this may not be oil related but I laughed.

So watching some of the TV around former First Lady Barbara Bushes funeral. They were talking about how a blue blood Yale graduate moved to the middle of nowhere to Midland, Texas after WWII to go into the oil business.

I was like it's still the middle of nowhere! It would still be strange for a blue blood with a Yale degree to move to Midland to go into to the oil business.

Or maybe I'm wrong and Midland is full of Yale graduates these days.
Bismarck
AG
How'd things go at GeoSouthern?
Zemira
AG
I interviewed but I don't think they liked me.

They seemed a bit odd actually. Supposedly a finance/accounting team of over 40 for a company of 300ish. Seemed a bit heavy for support staff which I was interviewing to be a part of.

Have two interviews this week with companies in the industry so we shall see.
Bismarck
AG
Too bad. Good luck with the other interviews.
AgRebel08
AG
A couple of good reasons that they have so many.

If offered I would take that in a heart beat. Great company to work for.
Zemira
AG
Well I'm sure they are a great company and I'm sure if they offered a position I would consider the opportunity.

The interview was just off from the beginning and they didn't seem to fully answer questions I had. I just didn't get a good vibe from anyone the panel. I have had several other really good interviews where I connected more at least in my mind.

After the interview I spoke to a friend who had also interviewed the the same panel for a different position a few weeks prior and she also had a similar experience. Maybe it was just us?
74OA
AG
MaysAggie2015 said:

All of this "production and infrastructure are booming so prices must stay in a bound range because of instability elsewhere)" talk doesn't follow historical O&G patterns. People forget that increased production across Texas alone in the Gusher Age (you could almost consider the current age an equivalent) resulted in the TRRC having to intervene in the market and took until the 1940's to help prop up and stablize prices by instituting regional production quotas.
Yep. If demand is high enough, the industry will eventually find a way to increase supply. US fracking is just the latest action-reaction example. It destroyed $100 oil a few years ago and has acted as a brake on OPEC's attempts to artificially drive prices back up ever since. There's nothing to suggest that won't happen again during this run-up. Anyway, US energy will decide what the new normal settles down to be, not OPEC. Not So Fast
MAROON
AG
Jerry Jones (Arkoma) takes control of Comstock

http://www.rbcrichardsonbarr.com/IndustryResearch/News.aspx?a=news&ticker=a&w=&story=201804thomsonreuters2187716_9999999_0.xml
HoustonAg2014
AG
While I don't disagree with what you are saying, I don't have information that the President and his council are privy to. I can imagine there are things that we do not know and that are not reported in the EIA report. You have to wonder if numbers are being reported accurately or if there is a lot of cheating going on to drive the price up, which I happen to think is happening and happens all the time.

It is not a secret that Saudi and Russia want a higher oil price for the Aramco IPO to drive the value up. It is also no secret that Saudi owns the LARGEST refinery in the North America which happens to be in Port Arthur.

My opinion is that the largest driver of inflation is gas prices. As gas prices go up, the rest of the goods that you buy will go up. I can almost guarantee gasoline demand will be flat to down year over year as gas prices shoot through the roof. The prices at the pumps have hardly set in yet with the increase in oil prices. Will people drive more or less this summer when gas prices rise above $3/gal? The higher the price per gallon of gas goes up, the more you will see demand for EVs go up.

I work in O&G and I would say most people I speak with do not think this price is sustainable. It is being propped up by politics, supply/demand (mostly demand), futures contract ratios (which last I saw was like 14:1 long to short), and a few other things. I am pretty bearish on oil second half of the year. Of course that could change with natural disasters like last year, but fundamentally I am bearish. Definitely bearish on the gasoline demand side.
nu awlins ag
AG
Demand has picked up in Asia, which is one reason for the increase. Production in Venezuela has dropped by 40% in the last two years. They were at 2.5 and now they are somewhere around 1.65 or so. Demand here is rising and we haven't even hit the driving season, which is still 6 weeks out. The only reason why prices has been capped somewhat is because US production is now at 10.59 million a day. This has led to record high US exports since the spread with Brent is around $6 per barrel. While I'm not totally bullish, I am nowhere near bearish for this summer either.
Ulrich
Marathon is buying Andeavor
Ragoo
AG
Ulrich said:

Marathon is buying Andeavor
whoa. Andeavor just formed out of Tesoro and Western refining.
Ulrich
Tesoro bought Western, which had just bought Northern Tier. WNR/NTI closed in June 2016 for 1.6b, then Tesoro bought WNR for 6b which closed in June 2017.
Furlock Bones
AG
Andeavor is a stupid effing name.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Not as dumb as Equinor
Furlock Bones
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Not as dumb as Equinor
truth
HoustonAg2014
AG
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/audit-finds-aramco-oil-reserves-120136586.html
jetch17
AG
Any Permian folk know who picked up the EQT midland basin acreage ... looks like Sterling/Glasscock Co's
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Rising WTI and rising fed interest rates will cool off the economy in the very near future. Most Americans simply dont have the income to pay more at the pump and more interest on their CC's and mortgage rates. The next recession will drop oil back down, in the next year or so IMO
IrishTxAggie
AG
Not looking to make friends here I see...
TxAg20
AG
Where's the "Historically, oil is worth $14/bbl. Above $14/bbl is overpriced and it will ultimately average $14." guy? He hasn't made an appearance in a while.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Not looking to make friends here I see...

haha not hostile...I try to think objectively. Just my opinion.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
dp
Gordo14
O'Doyle Rules said:

Rising WTI and rising fed interest rates will cool off the economy in the very near future. Most Americans simply dont have the income to pay more at the pump and more interest on their CC's and mortgage rates. The next recession will drop oil back down, in the next year or so IMO

The economy and world markets are way more complicated than that.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Gordo14 said:

O'Doyle Rules said:

The economy and world markets are way more complicated than that.

China slowing, fake GDP numbers
South America is bankrupt
Europe always lags behind the US
India still a developing country

My point is that the US would be in the best scenario to drive the world economy, but the FED is out of feathers in its quiver once the next recession hits. A macro view certainly.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I work in China a lot. Nothing there is slowing...
nu awlins ag
AG
Agree. China is not slowing and Asia as a whole, the demand is RISING. Interest rates would have to rise way more than the current rate to have a negative impact on the economy. India's demand is still growing and last year passed China's numbers.
IrishTxAggie
AG
nu awlins ag said:

Agree. China is not slowing and Asia as a whole, the demand is RISING. Interest rates would have to rise way more than the current rate to have a negative impact on the economy. India's demand is still growing and last year passed China's numbers.
The Chinese aren't going to hike their rates anytime soon. They're giving money to nationals at basically 0% interest. We're doing an expansion on one of our production plants in Zhuhai and the government is basically paying us to do it. One of the reasons they probably don't want to offer much access to their markets for foreigners.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Random question as I was reading some Q1 reports.... what does it mean when the presentations talks mention sales of oil for Q1 as "divestiture-adjusted sales"
GarlandAg2012
AG
Divestiture = selling assets. So they adjusted their oil sales volume to reflect the assets they no longer own/won't own in the near future.
Scientific
AG
A few years ago there was a conversation in this thread around China's economy being cooked. & how unsustainable it will be. Now its back to a booming economy?
First Page Last Page
Page 458 of 820

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.