Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,279,366 Views | 28677 Replies | Last: 26 min ago by Drillbit4
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cushing WTI/Euro Brent spent 2011 and 2012 around 20, dropping to 10 sometimes but spiking to 30 others. That's at Cushing with plenty of takeaway, not Midland (I just grabbed it off the EIA site). Wellhead pricing could get farther off than that.

Drillers will still make money at 45 dollar WTI, but I'm not sure the Permian actually can "boom" in terms of hiring as many people or paying them like it used to. Shale has gotten a lot more efficient in cost and headcount. Maybe 2020 when all that planned takeaway capacity comes on line.

Good time to be a trucker though.
aggie028
I meant the diff seen between WTI and what producers get paid. Should have worded my question different. It's been around $3.25 for the last few months on the checks I've looked at.
DRE06
AG
aggie028 said:

Where do you guys think the diff is headed? Even if you get to -$10/bbl, everyone still makes money according to their slide decks, right?

Think you see a large increase in DUCa in the Permian/Delaware and you start seeing a lot of producers move rigs to the eagle ford where there's still capacity to get to the market.
tommyjohn
Now that BHP is about to sell all their shale assets where does that rank on the list of terrible acquisitions?
aggie028
jetch17
AG
i would think the EF acreage coming up for grabs from BHP and subsequently Devon in the region oughta be attractive to some of the other EF mainstays out there, just depends how much hardball regarding the price BHP will want to standby ... i wouldnt exepect anyone to get a smokin 'deal' on the EF stuff though.

Now that it sounds like BHP will parcel off the shale packages instead of pushing for a complete bundle deal (EF/Permian) they should be able to entertains several different offers.
SWCBonfire
AG
tommyjohn said:

Now that BHP is about to sell all their shale assets where does that rank on the list of terrible acquisitions?

Bad, but like a rounding error on BHP's total balance sheet.
Cepe
AG
SWCBonfire said:

tommyjohn said:

Bad, but like a rounding error on BHP's total balance sheet.
Probably true. Their market cap is about $130 Billion. the oil business is not their major focus and is small in comparison to the rest of the company.
Pahdz
So who knows why Devon pulled the plug on their big water pipeline in Oklahoma after all the pipe was bought and manufactured? If anyone needs 36" HDPE it's out there, but they may have actually auctioned it off already.
Goose06
AG
Pahdz said:

So who knows why Devon pulled the plug on their big water pipeline in Oklahoma after all the pipe was bought and manufactured? If anyone needs 36" HDPE it's out there, but they may have actually auctioned it off already.

Ive been wondering the same thing...
Pahdz
That was a lot of pipe we were selling, crazy how it just ended.
jetch17
AG
I think the Devon layoffs are ongoing today & tomorrow
Pahdz
The tower was already not close to filled, and they were supposed take up half the new building next door too
Cyp0111
I used to call on Devon. Strange culture up there.
techno-ag
AG
Talk in WSJ about distribution limitations in the Permian. If price soars and output spikes, getting it all out of West Texas may require expensive truck shipments.

I've no idea how accurate that is, but it seems like a nice problem to have, if true.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Tap the brakes on the new four-wheelers and bass-boats boys:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/20/trump-says-opec-is-keeping-oil-prices-artificially-very-high-and-that-will-not-be-accepted.html

SidetrackAg
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/20/trump-says-opec-is-keeping-oil-prices-artificially-very-high-and-that-will-not-be-accepted.html

SidetrackAg
AG
Edit: double post
nu awlins ag
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

He's done a lot of good, but he doesn't know jack chit about the O&G industry. He needs to shut his trap and just do his job. Not sure he knows how many jobs are tied to the industry and how many have been lost.
Boat Shoes
AG
I'm curious as to how he will propose to control the price of a global commodity. No doubt he has something in mind.
La Bamba
AG
Someone should really ban him from Twitter.
nu awlins ag
AG
La Bamba said:

Someone should really ban him from Twitter.
Agreed. His skin is thinner than rice paper...
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
While i too would be interested in the details of any plan that would attempt to control these countries' attempts to control a global commodity what the hell is he talking about "record amounts of oil everywhere"? Global OECD inventories are down 6% from their record highs in 2016 and US inventories are down 23% from their peak...
Comeby!
AG
Rick Perry, do your thing.
sts7049
AG
i guess that explains why SN is down 13% today?
Ag2012
AG
I don't think he's dumb enough to believe what he's saying about oil. I think he's pandering to his populist base. With his misguided concerns about trade deficits and "winning" trade wars, he should be hyping the US being on track to become the largest oil exporter in the world and breaking OPEC in the price war they started.

At the end of the day his own inflationary policies (protectionism + fiscal stimulus at the top of a bull market and full employment) are going to drive a spike in commodity prices. He's just positioning himself to claim he's on the side of his base and that it's the Other Guy's fault.
Boat Shoes
AG
Ag2012 said:

I don't think he's dumb enough to believe what he's saying about oil. I think he's pandering to his populist base. With his misguided concerns about trade deficits and "winning" trade wars, he should be hyping the US being on track to become the largest oil exporter in the world and breaking OPEC in the price war they started.

At the end of the day his own inflationary policies (protectionism + fiscal stimulus at the top of a bull market and full employment) are going to drive a spike in commodity prices. He's just positioning himself to claim he's on the side of his base and that it's the Other Guy's fault.

I agree with this. He's trying to get out in front of summer driving season and all the complaining that will come with high prices.
Bismarck
AG
Keep in mind that he knows very little about the oil industry. Just listen to the video linked in this article where he describes pipes the size of the room he's in being manufactured in China and shipped here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/01/30/pipelines-trump-gives-wrong-explanation-of-how-theyre-built-shipped.html
HoustonAg2014
AG
Is he wrong? Has anything fundamentally changed in supply and demand for oil to go from mid 50's to 70? I really don't know but I would imagine he has information about chartered ships that we do not have.

I'm not defending his tweet because it does no good, but I am wondering the same thing. OPEC is pumping up this oil price to get that Aramco IPO out there. Will the continue to keep the cuts to keep the price high? They very may will or it could be to get the IPO out. Didn't OPEC just partner with Russia for the Aramco IPO? I am sure there is a lot of data out there and politics behind the scenes that we are not seeing that is leading to his frustration.
techno-ag
AG
Boat Shoes said:

Ag2012 said:

I agree with this. He's trying to get out in front of summer driving season and all the complaining that will come with high prices.
That's smart. When an R is in office they always get the blame for that.
The Original AG 76
AG
The President is simply parroting the same point of view that damn near 100% of folks in 48 of the 50 states accept as fact. Other than Texas and Oklahoma ( perhaps include the 4 folks in Louisiana with an IQ over room temp and sober) virtually everyone hates the " biddness " and blames all of the worlds woe on us. You just spend some time in yankeeland and get an good edumacation on the massive ignorance and distain there is about what we do.
Trump is just playing to the accepted worldview he knows .
Gordo14
Aggiesincebirth said:

Is he wrong? Has anything fundamentally changed in supply and demand for oil to go from mid 50's to 70? I really don't know but I would imagine he has information about chartered ships that we do not have.

I'm not defending his tweet because it does no good, but I am wondering the same thing. OPEC is pumping up this oil price to get that Aramco IPO out there. Will the continue to keep the cuts to keep the price high? They very may will or it could be to get the IPO out. Didn't OPEC just partner with Russia for the Aramco IPO? I am sure there is a lot of data out there and politics behind the scenes that we are not seeing that is leading to his frustration.

He is absolutely wrong. I'm not sure what to tell you other than we're seeing significant draws in oil and refined products BEFORE summer driving season. Throw in the further deterioration of Venezuela's production and the potential collapse of the Iran nuclear deal - there needs to be a risk premium on oil supply.

Ships aren't the way to hide oil and manipulate the oil market. The way to do that is by restricting production (it's way cheaper than chartering ships since you aren't selling the oil right now anyways - especially if you look into the structure of the futures curve and the risks of storing crude in backwardation). Finally, anybody with a Bloomberg terminal has access to where all the supertankers in the world are. Turns out, you can't just hide supertankers with market moving quantities of oil from everybody but the president. Furthermore, even if you could, it could only briefly impact the price of oil at all, because the price is dictated by flows of oil; taking a volume of crude off the market doesn't effect the market really (which is all you could do with supertankers)... Taking daily production off the market does, because the cumulative ffect is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than chartering ships. Oil inventories are far away from record highs. Seriously, did he get his last information on oil inventories in 2016?

This tweet shows the president fundamentally does not understand the oil market? Is that really that shocking given his juvenile view on world trade? (for instance, trade is not a zero-sum game and trade deficits aren't really a bad thing - it basically forces these foreign entities to invest in America and buy government bonds)
Greatness
AG
nu awlins ag said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

He's done a lot of good, but he doesn't know jack chit about the O&G industry. He needs to shut his trap and just do his job. Not sure he knows how many jobs are tied to the industry and how many have been lost.
oh he does so much good but when it impacts your industry its bad okayy
TxAg20
AG
Bismarck said:

Keep in mind that he knows very little about the oil industry. Just listen to the video linked in this article where he describes pipes the size of the room he's in being manufactured in China and shipped here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/01/30/pipelines-trump-gives-wrong-explanation-of-how-theyre-built-shipped.html

Pipes bigger than this room.
They cut them 1/2 to ship them, which hurts the pipe.

If he makes it to the next Presidential election without being impeached, his opposition should just make a video of these things he pulls out of ass.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
TxAg20 said:

Bismarck said:

Pipes bigger than this room.
They cut them 1/2 to ship them, which hurts the pipe.

If he makes it to the next Presidential election without being impeached, his opposition should just make a video of these things he pulls out of ass.
And the sheeple will eat those videos up thinking those are the things that really matter (see recent comments on this thread as an example) and not the fact that Trump's actually the fuggin best president we've had in ages.
First Page Last Page
Page 457 of 820

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.