Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,279,605 Views | 28677 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Drillbit4
nu awlins ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was BEFORE the real crap hit the fan. I think that was on Sunday and later that day came the big stuff. I recorded 18" on Sunday and 11" on Saturday. Had we had more rain on Monday, my house would have flooded. It was about a foot from coming in while 3 houses down they had 6" or so in their homes.
bigbass1170
AG
Yikes. Thankfully it stopped!
Comeby!
AG
Whitetail said:

What company makes that drillbit? That's a pretty gauge hole.
RK
AG
The Lord made that bit...
Zemira
AG
Was going to post on the Jobs board, but figure it will get more traffic here.

Anyone work for GeoSouthern or know anything about them? I have an interview scheduled with them up in the Woodlands next week.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Comeby! said:

Whitetail said:

L

What company makes that drillbit? That's a pretty gauge hole.
This was in Guatemala or something if I recall correctly....

I remember doing photoshops with Luke Skywalker and the listeater-sarlacc of this back in like 2008

Found them:

SidetrackAg
AG
Damn, I thought the hole was photoshopped until I researched! That is crazy.
Comeby!
AG
Yep all that frac'ing in Guatemala. F that noise.
MAROON
AG
asking for a friend from ATL. His son went to Ole Miss and is graduating with a Geological engineering degree.

https://engineering.olemiss.edu/gge/undergrad.php

I had never heard of the degree, but looks like come sort of Geology/Engineering mix degree. He's now trying to get into the oil business.

Any advice on this board of where he could turn? I told him I thought he probably would need to focus on West Texas and try to find some sort entry level position with the hopes of moving up to eventually getting into the engineering side. But not even sure where he could start to look.
TxAg20
AG
Tell him to look for any job he can get to get his foot in the door. If he's good, he'll move up quickly.

Unsolicited story: We hired an engineer about a year ago. He was a few months out of college (OU) and his first job working for a mom and pop operator didn't work out when they couldn't pay him anymore. He was a friend of a guy in our land department, and had offers to be a pumper from EOG and Concho. I said we'll hire him on a pumper's salary and work him like an engineer and see how it works out. Worst case, we'll put him in the field pumping. His resume wasn't super impressive, and he was pretty quiet in his interview. Turns out, he's really good as a reservoir and production engineer. He can even hold his own in finance. We now pay him like an engineer we don't want to lose.
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
TxAg20 said:

Tell him to look for any job he can get to get his foot in the door. If he's good, he'll move up quickly.

Unsolicited story: We hired an engineer about a year ago. He was a few months out of college (OU) and his first job working for a mom and pop operator didn't work out when they couldn't pay him anymore. He was a friend of a guy in our land department, and had offers to be a pumper from EOG and Concho. I said we'll hire him on a pumper's salary and work him like an engineer and see how it works out. Worst case, we'll put him in the field pumping. His resume wasn't super impressive, and he was pretty quiet in his interview. Turns out, he's really good as a reservoir and production engineer. He can even hold his own in finance. We now pay him like an engineer we don't want to lose.
Got my 2nd Bachelors in PE from OU a couple years ago, and imo the program was very strong on the reservoir and sub-surface production sides. Drilling not so much. Alot of the senior level courses had (at least) a secondary focus on finance as well, so that doesn't surprise me.
drill4oil78
AG
MAROON said:

asking for a friend from ATL. His son went to Ole Miss and is graduating with a Geological engineering degree.

https://engineering.olemiss.edu/gge/undergrad.php

I had never heard of the degree, but looks like come sort of Geology/Engineering mix degree. He's now trying to get into the oil business.

Any advice on this board of where he could turn? I told him I thought he probably would need to focus on West Texas and try to find some sort entry level position with the hopes of moving up to eventually getting into the engineering side. But not even sure where he could start to look.
A GE is a development type geologist. That is what they use to call them in a few of the companies I worked for in the past. I guess you can say they have some background in reservoir engineering.

It amazes me how far some of these schools are behind A&M as far as placement service for their graduates.

Personally my advice to any new graduate is stay out of the oil business. If you do get in the patch be willing and able to handle the big ups and downs.
Cepe
AG
I'm confused how some of these kids get to graduation without job leads or a plan. For oil and gas they pretty much have internships for multiple summers that either links you with a company after graduation or gives you experience for your resume.

Do these kids just completely ignore the process?

I've been in the industry almost 30 years now and even I worked in the industry during the summers way back then.
Cyp0111
It requires hard work, determination and supportive family/parents/mentors to secure internships in college. Most kids want to do a summer or two in Cstat, study abroad etc.

The winners atleast get two internships under their belt so they understand corporate/social settings, have somthing to talk about in full time interviews other than experience with a college/club.
barney94
AG
Undergrad in geology (or, in this case, geological engineering) is a hard sell.

Most operators want their geologists to have a masters degree and have internship experience.

He probably needs to be looking at service companies. (Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, etc). Go to work as a field engineer. That experience and training will help him move on to an operator later. It is a hard few years but invaluable experience.

The best exploration geologist I've ever worked with has a BS in Geology and started as a mud logger.
Haystack
I think a GE degree has much more of a civil engineering component than a petroleum engineering component. This is apparent in the courses listed in the link. What does he want to do in industry? Geology? Engineering?

If he wants to be a geologist, an MS is basically required these days. I would recommend getting some sort of field experience while applying for grad schools.

In regards to to the "shouldn't he already have a couple of internships" response: from my experience, industry sees GE students as geologists. Without some sort of family connection, geology students are not seriously considered for internships until the summer after they graduate undergrad and are headed to grad school (and even then they are difficult to come by and strongly depend on which school you have been accepted to).
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
EVERY kid thats not half-******ed knows the process and is trying to work it beginning their sophomore year. Most people have no clue how competitive and slim the current job market is for PE undergrads.
agdaddy04
AG
I think you may be over estimating what some schools do to help in the process, or undervalue what all a&m does to help graduates succeed. That's been my experience working with graduates from some northern schools.
Boat Shoes
AG
Agree. A&M's Career Center, job fair, and emphasis on job placement are fantastic. Most people don't have it as good as we do. That and the Aggie Network of course which is invaluable.
MrYakamoto
AG
I graduated with my Masters in Geology in 2016 and let me tell you it's pretty rough. I know a lot of talented guys with MS-Geology degrees who never landed with an E&P and are accepting mud logging jobs. His GE won't get him in the door at an E&P company, his best bet is to play up the engineering side of the degree and hop onto a services company if he is able to find anything which will be even more difficult with no previous internships.

Best of luck but before he starts applying to grad schools. Just something to think about, every laid off geologist that hasn't gotten a MS or PhD has gone back and is doing such. He will come out of grad school likely competing against people with previous experience who went back to school to try to wait out the down turn. That's something they don't tell you in the academic advisers office.
techno-ag
AG
Highest prices since 2014, gentlemen. Time to buy a new truck?

Also, WSJ says inventories are getting lower.
IrishTxAggie
AG
techno-ag said:

Just in time for boat season!! Woohoo!!
Ragoo
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

techno-ag said:

Just in time for boat season!! Woohoo!!
done and waiting for warmer weather/water
The Original AG 76
AG
techno-ag said:

whoa there young un......this is my thread..I say when its over !!!!

techno-ag
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

techno-ag said:

whoa there young un......this is my thread..I say when its over !!!!

Absolutely! Please continue. Although I think it's strayed at times from your OP over the years.
nu awlins ag
AG
Supply shrinking and price is heading north, $68.01. SA said this morning, they will or would like to keep the market tight until price hits $80. We'll see...
Ulrich
Imo, WTI is going to be all over the place this year and could crater. Takeaway constraints looming. Waha NG might be effed depending on what the RRC decides wrt flaring.
Ag2012
AG
People underestimate just how tight the crude market can get this year. The global glut has been wiped out, we're back below the 5 year average inventory and Venezuelan production has cratered and has more room to drop. Trump has replaced moderate voices in his cabinet with anti-Iran hawks who are likely to push for new sanctions next month. Meanwhile Iran and Saudi Arabia are fighting a nasty proxy war in Yemen and we're just one well-placed Houthi missile away from a total meltdown on that front. China and India still have robust and growing demand for oil and they're sourcing more of it from the US. The Permian is finally running into capacity constraints which could seriously limit our ability to ramp up in a higher price environment.

All the while, upstream equities have seriously lagged WTI's price recovery, much the same way they lagged its downtrend in 2014-'15. As investors finally let go of the "lower for longer" narrative we'll see a sharp pop as they revise their models to a higher price. We're going to see $80+/bbl this year and it's gonna be a big wake up call.
Gordo14
Ag2012 said:

People underestimate just how tight the crude market can get this year. The global glut has been wiped out, we're back below the 5 year average inventory and Venezuelan production has cratered and has more room to drop. Trump has replaced moderate voices in his cabinet with anti-Iran hawks who are likely to push for new sanctions next month. Meanwhile Iran and Saudi Arabia are fighting a nasty proxy war in Yemen and we're just one well-placed Houthi missile away from a total meltdown on that front. China and India still have robust and growing demand for oil and they're sourcing more of it from the US. The Permian is finally running into capacity constraints which could seriously limit our ability to ramp up in a higher price environment.

All the while, upstream equities have seriously lagged WTI's price recovery, much the same way they lagged its downtrend in 2014-'15. As investors finally let go of the "lower for longer" narrative we'll see a sharp pop as they revise their models to a higher price. We're going to see $80+/bbl this year and it's gonna be a big wake up call.

I agree. This market feels destined for supply shocks, in my opinion. There's a lot going on and it can only really surprise to the upside on price near term imo.
klsmith89
AG
Man, I hope yall are right. This downturn has been rough.
Ag2012
AG
Quote:

I agree. This market feels destined for supply shocks, in my opinion. There's a lot going on and it can only really surprise to the upside on price near term imo.
This. The Aramco IPO is an implicit put option on crude prices. The Saudis are going to do everything in their power to boost its valuation ahead of the IPO. They're not selling off a portion of their crown jewel at $50/bbl. They see their chance to grab the market by the balls right now and recoup their losses from the past few years and they're not letting this opportunity slip away.
Cyp0111
We could see $80/brent. I think $80 wti would be difficult.
Gordo14
Cyp0111 said:

We could see $80/brent. I think $80 wti would be difficult.

I agree, but that's more driven by carrying capacity and access to refining... I'm focused on the market in general.
Ulrich
I think the WTI/Brent diff is likely to blow out. Those capacity constraints getting out of the Permian are great for Brent but there might be widespread shut ins in the basin.
aggie028
Where do you guys think the diff is headed? Even if you get to -$10/bbl, everyone still makes money according to their slide decks, right?
First Page Last Page
Page 456 of 820

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.