Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,278,817 Views | 28676 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Comeby!
Talon2DSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's great! Congrats man
Ragoo
AG
62strat said:

My dad is on year 44 I think.
my dad retired in 2015 after 40 years with the same company, 33 years post college graduation.
jetch17
AG
13 years on the geophysical side this month
miller0926
AG
Graduated PETE in December 2015

Spent all of 2016 not really knowing what to do (got my EIT, took a couple of classes at a nearby community college).

Worked as a contractor for a major doing basically grunt work in the Records department all of 2017... but it was a job during the downturn and due to hardwork got a raise and my first legit references since my internship.

Now on Monday I start year 1 as a full time salaried employee on the Reservoir side. I'm excited and ready to work my a$$ off.
Ragoo
AG
Just started my 9th year in process equipment design and fabrication. One lay off 8 months into my first job in 2009. Have been with the same company through since surviving many rounds of layoffs, upwards of 10 rounds, and two buyouts.
dahouse
AG
I'll be 10 years in this Spring. Pipeline and facility construction, with a stint in pipeline services as well. I would love a chance on the pipeline operator side, but those gigs are hard to come by. 2018 looks good for us contractor types. Lots of work breaking loose
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
drill4oil78
AG
38 years in the patch all on the drilling side with operators with the last 20yrs on the consulting side. The first 10 years in the USA and the remainder around the world from Africa to South America, but mainly in SE Asia. Retired now and not looking to go back unless my wife forces me back to work.

I started my career in W. TX and I look at the operations these days in that area and laugh about the formations that are being produced these days. The Wolfcamp was the major source rock in the Delaware Basin and we use to fight drilling through it back in the 80's. No one ever thought about producing from a shale. We used to air drill through it in some areas and flare gas while drilling. Had a few down hole burn-offs when we encountered distillate along with the gas. Now hydrocarbons are being produced from these source rock formations. No one back then would have entered the thought in their mind of producing from a shale

Everyone in the industry these days should be thanking George Mitchell for his pioneering efforts.
Talon2DSO
AG
dahouse said:

I'll be 10 years in this Spring. Pipeline and facility construction, with a stint in pipeline services as well. I would love a chance on the pipeline operator side, but those gigs are hard to come by. 2018 looks good for us contractor types. Lots of work breaking loose

Supposed to get incredibly busy in the Utica/Marcellus
Goose06
Goose06
AG
Just cleared 10 years last summer. Hoping for some luck that allows me to not have to be in 20 more!
Cyp0111
Amen. Crossed 10 this year.
DadsanAG
Here here to 10 years.
Goose06
AG
DadsanAG said:

Here here to 10 years.

Dilly dilly!
EnviroAg96
AG
Starting my 10th year in offshore drilling...6 years before that was with an oilfield equipment manufacturer (wellheads, subsea trees, riser, etc). Just survived a merger/acquisition so ready to start a new journey with the new (much bigger) company!
gougler08
AG
10 years is very popular
teecoy
AG
Wrapping up my 9th in drilling for an operator.
AgLA06
AG
Seems like most I meet are generally 5 years, 10 years, or a crap ton of years.
Caliber
AG
AgLA06 said:

Boom/bust cycle.

Market was ramping up 15 years ago, so everyone got degrees to get in, those have 10-12 years experience now.

The old timers are from before the big busts of the 80s which was followed by an extended slump where people weren't super interested in O&G.

The 5 year people came after the last bust and before this current one.
AgLA06
AG
Brad06ag said:

AgLA06 said:

Boom/bust cycle.

Yep, that's me. 5 years this month. Had as much to do with the Texas construction bust as the oil boom.
The Original AG 76
AG
Brad06ag said:

AgLA06 said:

Boom/bust cycle.

Market was ramping up 15 years ago, so everyone got degrees to get in, those have 10-12 years experience now.

The old timers are from before the big busts of the 80s which was followed by an extended slump where people weren't super interested in O&G.

Spot on...
After the 80's bust the industry basically went on a YUGE hiring diet for over a decade. We brought back some people and hired a few but the supply of industry vets was damn near endless due to the 80's layoff and a TON of consolidations. Very few guys from the classes of the 90's were hired. It did cause a real problem in the later years as we had a significant gap in all areas of the industry. We had a bunch of old time survivors of the 80's , damn few mid level guys and a bunch of newbies hired in the 2000's. Caused a serious impact in the absence of good mid level guys and forced many of us to rapid fire promote a lot of kids without the needed experience as growth finally took off. The few guys hired in say 03 now hitting their 15 year mark are attaining positions that it used to take 30 years to achieve.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Everyone in the industry these days should be thanking George Mitchell for his pioneering efforts.
Everyone in America should. He will be the biggest reason we can get out (politically) from the Middle East and why it makes sense to manufacture in the US, for some products. He's create more jobs than Bush, Obama, and Trump have combined. Should have been given the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
DDSO
AG
It will be 7 years next month for me, but I am just a poor landman.
nu awlins ag
AG
There is still a big gap, actually a few. I've been in it since the early 90's and there are not a lot that are working that are older than me. I see a lot of mid 30's and early to mid 20's, but not a ton of mid 40 types or mid 50's. The industry has really changed since 08'/09' to now. It forced out a lot of really good seasoned people. I'm hoping for another 10 or so then flanging it up.
Cepe
AG
I started in the '91 and for most of the 1990's I was the youngest guy in the room. Not much hiring that decade. Bottomed out when I moved to West Texas in '99 and we touched $8-$10 oil that summer.
Ulrich
3 years in mid/downstream.
Comeby!
AG
Closing in on 20 Years here.
aggie_wes
AG
It'll be 10 years this May.
canagian
AG
Just finished my first year... of RETIREMENT after 27 years with big oil. Took a retirement package / golden handshake at the end of 2016 and have moved permanently from the Houston area to the beach in Florida.

Stopped working on large oilfield projects and started working on my tan. Dropped 25 pounds while doubling my beer consumption. Thanks to a great stock market, my net worth actually increased in 2017 despite not working.

Life is good...
gougler08
AG
Congrats, we can all only dream to have a year like that
Cyp0111
Good for you, live the dream, you earned it.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Coming up on 10- 3 in services, 5 operator, 1 in IB (A&D)
Ragoo
AG
canagian said:

Just finished my first year... of RETIREMENT after 27 years with big oil. Took a retirement package / golden handshake at the end of 2016 and have moved permanently from the Houston area to the beach in Florida.

Stopped working on large oilfield projects and started working on my tan. Dropped 25 pounds while doubling my beer consumption. Thanks to a great stock market, my net worth actually increased in 2017 despite not working.

Life is good...
awesome. sounds like my dad. traded the grind in for a tractor and 200 acres. now he mows grass or burns fallen trees all day long.
TheVarian
AG
I'm the youngest in my group by about 15ish years... that boom bust cycle is the real deal
nu awlins ag
AG
I hope you don't out live your retirement!!!!
Premium
AG
What's a good retirement egg these days, in your opinion? $4 Million?
First Page Last Page
Page 444 of 820

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.