Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,279,107 Views | 28676 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Comeby!
nu awlins ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's why he's pinching back on the choke....
Buck Compton
AG
Anyone looking for a new opportunity?

For anyone that doesn't remember (thread has kind of died down), I work for a consulting firm, primarily with our clients in Oil & Gas (up, mid, or downstream).

We've been aggressively growing lately. We've ramped up hiring again across multiple positions, from Operations to Logistics to Finance to M&A. Not only Oil & Gas, but also Power Generation, Utilities, or Chemicals.

Recently, our candidate pool has been pretty diverse in background, from reservoir engineers with an MBA to pipeline schedulers to FP&A or Business development to M&A valuation experts. Landmen with the right background could be a huge asset as well. 3-7 years experience is probably the target range, but anything up to 10-12 may be considered. Really, it all depends on the role.

PM me if you are interested, and we can discuss any open roles. Primarily Texas-based roles available, but the right person may be able to discuss one of our other locations.

EDIT TO ADD: Generally travel is well under 50% if you are in the Houston area, but can be much more. I don't live in Houston so I travel M-W or M-TH each week.
nu awlins ag
AG
Good to hear. I'll ask around here in H-town. I'm actually waiting to hear back from a company that I interviewed with a month ago. Takes sooooooooooo long with the big company's to get things passed down the line.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I know a solid candidate, I will send you a PM.
SWCBonfire
AG
Don't have a PM anymore. Y'all do anything with frac sand processing/storage/transload? May be looking to move on, or move on and use my current employer for construction and field work.
Buck Compton
AG
SWCBonfire said:

Don't have a PM anymore. Y'all do anything with frac sand processing/storage/transload? May be looking to move on, or move on and use my current employer for construction and field work.
Not really much with frac sand to my knowledge, but I can check with a few people.
Buck Compton
AG
I'll try to sort through PMs tonight and get back to each of you individually.
Talon2DSO
AG
Anyone here run smart pigs? Might be conducting an ILI on a liquid line for our 5 year assessment. Send me a PM with your contact and I'll pass it along to our folks.
JAggie2007
AG
Thanks Buck, just shot you a PM myself.
sirkenmoore
I don't have PM either, but would be interested to discuss more. Could you shoot me an email at kmoore12man at yahoo dot com? Would appreciate it!
Ulrich
Random question here... ok, not random, but looking for thoughts. Let's say you're looking for ways to make money in the Permian. Things like hotels, real estate, restaurants, trucks and truck accessories, etc. Where would you start? What are the current scarcities and do you anticipate other things becoming scarce as activity continues to grow?
dahouse
AG
I was out there early 2016, Pecos (shuddering just thinking about it)

I stayed in man-camps, plenty availability but oil was falling fast. You could do a healthy business with a food truck. The intersection of 285 and 652 in Orla would be a great spot for that.

Very few bars or restaurants in town, but the man camps provide meals.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Ulrich
I hadn't thought about food trucks, that's an interesting idea.

How do the engineers, ehs&s, etc types get in? Fly into Midland mostly?

Is there any town that's got a reputation as a "well, if you have to go to west Texas you might as well go to __________"?
dahouse
AG
Not really a reputation, but Midland/Odessa is still the place to get a lot of what you need out there. I had a truck that would run every day to Fort Stockton as well. I had to drive out there (company mandated) but the professional types that came out of Houston would fly into Midland.

A bunch of guys that work for a major oil company lived in Andrews and drove into Kermit/Pecos/Mentone area daily. They transferred there with families and that was where they decided to live.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Ulrich
I was kind of thinking Kermit with a lot of the new activity being in the Delaware. Any idea why they picked Andrews? Were they originally there for the Midland basin?

Is there potentially appetite for a distribution center for seals, lubes, and tools type things closer to the action than Midland or Fort Stockton?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Open a Top Golf clone in Midland. Pay me 10%. Let's both get rich.
nu awlins ag
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Open a Top Golf clone in Midland. Pay me 10%. Let's both get rich.
Cash cow times 1000. They play a lot of golf out there and I think and have always thought one of these would do pretty well. Golf and drink beer, nothing else to do.
Ulrich
The cornerstone of my strategy is ridiculous markups on alcohol sales. I'm in.

No but really. Can Midland/Odessa support a Top Golf?
nu awlins ag
AG
Yes. You don't have to build as big as the other ones, but as much golf as they like to play, I think one would do very well. Golf, food, beer, the sky is the limit.
Westicles
AG
A smaller Top Golf or Top Golf like place would crush it here. There are a lot of people who have said that though so I'm really surprised no one has made it happen. I know Top Golf a) doesn't franchise and b) won't take a look at a place that doesn't have at least 500,000 population. I think total actual residents of the Midland/Odessa metropolitan area is 325,000 but what that doesn't take into account is the influx of people here for work from elsewhere during the week. Every bar and restaurant is slammed 7 days a week here because of so many people visiting for work.

Another thought is to think outside of the oilfield and to the people who actually live in Midland. This place is dominated by young 20-30 year olds with young children. I think back to Houston and how Lupe Tortilla crushed it on the weekend because of their playground. Parents would go there and sit where they could see their kids play in the sand box and get sloshed on margaritas. There is not a restaurant in Midland like that at all. I'm only using Lupe as an example, don't do Mexican though. The market in Midland is WAY to saturated with Mexican restaurants.

I think if it was done right either one of those business ideas could make it through a smaller downturn in O&G like we had in 2015. That's the problem with any business venture in West Texas, it'll likely fall flat on it's face when the mass exodus begins after the next downturn.
TheVarian
AG
With GreenTree and MCC basically being the staples in midland, Topgolf would KILL. I'm almost positive though you have to have a certain population in a given radius to open one of those.
nu awlins ag
AG
Top Golf next to Jaguar's would kill out there....
TommyGun
AG
Yes, Top Golf would do remarkably well. People pay exorbitant amounts of money to be members of clubs that would look like cheap municipals back in Houston. I also think an arcade like a Dave & Busters or Main Event type place would also crush it here. The old Bowlero seems to do surprisingly well but it is really dated and a little dingy when you walk in. A clean, modern event center would be nice.

Ulrich
I'm not too worried about having the Top Golf name on the front.

Is it still impossible to keep staff out there or has the labor market cooled a little?
GarlandAg2012
AG
I'm not out there anymore but I would guess it has leveled off some. The good news is that Top Golf isn't really known for their great waitresses or anything. Customer service is fine but it frequently has long waits to check in/get a bay and get drinks or food at the Dallas locations and they still kill it.
nu awlins ag
AG
A place like Altitude would kill it out there as well. The one here in Katy is over flowing with rug rats...
jetch17
AG
Doesnt Tulsa have a knock-off Top Golf joint similar in concept? I think its called Flying Tee or something....

Just demo down ClayDesta and old Chevron and put in an entertainment/more chain restaurants center
nu awlins ag
AG
Keep the old CVN place. It reminds me of a CIA or FBI building....
TommyGun
AG
jetch17 said:

Doesnt Tulsa have a knock-off Top Golf joint similar in concept? I think its called Flying Tee or something....

Just demo down ClayDesta and old Chevron and put in an entertainment/more chain restaurants center

I'd support that (as I type from my office in ClayDesta)
GarlandAg2012
AG
Looks like it does. I'd be curious if they felt any legal pressure from TG. Looks like there are a number of patents held by TG and others pertaining to RFID golf balls.
JAggie2007
AG
If they did end up doing a Top Golf or similar they'd likely be doing it on the West side of Midland, probably around the stadium/New HEB area. If not West side of Midland then East side of Odessa.
PPAag06
AG
Anybody on here working with Sanchez? Need a Finance contact.
Talon2DSO
AG
Not to derail the Top Golf convo (I do love me some Top Golf) but does anyone have contacts in the ILI industry? I'm putting out a bid soon and would like to include some good Ags in the opportunity.
Satellite of Love
I feel bad for you people who are stuck out in Midland......no thank you!
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
tamuags08
AG
Quote:

Yes though last time I was there, the pitch of the roof is different than Top Golf. There were probably 5 or 7 people that hit balls that ricocheted.
First Page Last Page
Page 441 of 820

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.