Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,280,936 Views | 28678 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by TxAg20
VaultingChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at Pioneer, negative FCF with little to no growth in proven reserves does not seem sustainable.

To make matters worse, daily production added per rig in the Permian Shale play is declining.
PeekingDuck
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Looking at Pioneer, negative FCF with little to no growth in proven reserves does not seem sustainable.

To make matters worse, daily production added per rig in the Permian Shale play is declining.
Re - FCF sustainability... it depends on if it stays that way, of course. I haven't looked closely at Pioneer, but I'm suspicious on the surface of their recent trend.

Your second sentence doesn't really mean anything.
VaultingChemist
AG
Quote:

Actually, it does. Most companies drill their best prospects first, the "low-hanging fruit". As time goes by, the less-productive shale acreage will be developed. The daily production added per rig is a rough indicator of the quality of the wells being drilled and completed.

EIA Drilling
Cyp0111
It also reflects spacing etc as well. I'm not defending the Permian valuations. I think they have exceeded fair value and a reason my oil and gas exposure is with the larger players or plays that are less "promoted".
Gordo14
VaultingChemist said:

Have you even read their investor presentations? From the June presentations on their website: expected to grow production 15-18% y/y (they have consistently beaten this target. Hedged 85% of production for 2017 at >$50/bbl, scheduled to be ~cash flow neutral in 2018 while continuing to grow production 15% y/y (oil growth art 25% y/y, IRRs between 50 and 100% including facilities capital, $2.2B cash on hand on a $2.8B capital program (that's not even including operating cash flow - expected to be ~2.2B), net debt of $400MM, >20,000 drilling locations.

You can argue they are overpriced, but they are not a bubble. The examples you provided of bubbles show this isn't a bubble. The dot com bubble was fueled by companies either selling products below operating costs or by having absolutely no revenue but because they had a website being with hundreds of millions of dollars (see: pets.com). Housing fundamentally has no direct cash flows either so it's easy for valuations to get insane on housing and leverage up to unhealthy levels. In this case you are talking about companies that have healthy operating cash flow, that are growing operating cash flow (on constant commodity price basis) ~20% y/y and barely have any net debt. The only way I see these companies having issue is severely depressed oil prices for a very long time. Again I can see an argument for overpriced, but they are not a bubble. Crypto currency has much more in common with the dot com collapse with all the margin accounts an asset appreciating at an unhealthy rate and no underlying cash flows.

The Einhorn piece is out of date across the board. But both seem to fundamentally not understand that's a volume business and you make money on deployed capital for years. That's why they'd concerns about FCF are annoying. "They couldn't make FCF at $90 means they can't ever make money" fundamentally shows they don't understand 1) how compounding growth in revenue (by volume) on a flat capex can lead to amazing growth in FCF but you might have to wait years to see it, 2) just how quickly the market has innovated, 3) the capital you deployed can create an amazing amount of value that isn't priced in if EOR can be consistently developed with shale (which is something that companies are working on and have made some progress on). If the goal was just FCF they could just stop investing in themselves and print money for you. The exciting thing to think about is, at current trends, the FCF they will have in 5, 6, 7 years IMO. If they come up with another great development strategy to grow cash flow economically so they can have even more FCF, then maybe that's worth doing even if it delays FCF further.

I think the real exciting upside for these highly priced companies is really 2-fold. They are a hedge against a spike in oil prices be it political or demand from India... But also if EOR works out in shale, which I do think we will be able to produce more than 5-7% of the OOIP at some point in the future, then all of these wells that are in the ground get so much more valuable. This is largely driven by how easy it is to model current shale development (and thus price) in addition with the hype surrounding these companies. Again, I can see why you could argue these companies are overpriced, but the upside case exists and they aren't a "bubble".
VaultingChemist
AG
Pioneer's proved reserves declined from 905 MMBOE in 2006 to 726 MMBOE in 2016.
Gordo14
VaultingChemist said:

Pioneer's proved reserves declined from 905 MMBOE in 2006 to 726 MMBOE in 2016.

That's largely driven by price. 2016 is going to look awful from a reserves stand point because SEC prices for 2016 are like $36 a bbl. 2006 is too far ago to really compare. But really looking at 2016 reserves is a waste of time as an investor unless you are worried about they're debt and interest rates (with $400MM net debt, 2.2B operating cash flow and their BBB credit rating they're reserves hit isn't too bad) or you think oil prices will be like last year going forward. Even then that may not be a bad thing. What if they decided they only wanted to develop what they had then return 100% of FCF to investors from then on... Then their reserves would decline until liquidation, but you still extracted a ton of value.

Now companies like Whiting will be feeling the pain from 2016 reserves.
Cyp0111
Are you an oil and gas/financial markets guy or a Seeking Alpha guy? trying to figure out if I'm going to dedicate any more time and a well though out answer.
VaultingChemist
AG
Pioneer had 1086 MMBOE proved reserves in 2012. In 4 years, it has declined to 726. That is a total loss of 360 MMBOE.

I am asking if that is sustainable if prices do not increase soon.
VaultingChemist
AG
Cyp0111 said:

Are you an oil and gas/financial markets guy or a Seeking Alpha guy? trying to figure out if I'm going to dedicate any more time and a well though out answer.
Neither. Just a reservoir engineer.
PeekingDuck
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Quote:

Actually, it does. Most companies drill their best prospects first, the "low-hanging fruit". As time goes by, the less-productive shale acreage will be developed. The daily production added per rig is a rough indicator of the quality of the wells being drilled and completed.

EIA Drilling
Yes, I work for an E&P. What I'm saying is that your statement is akin to saying the sky is blue. If it weren't true, I'd be more concerned about the company than if it were.

I guess it could also mean the play is very new and not understood.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I was a reserves engineer for Pioneer and it's clear to me you don't understand the full picture of PXDs reserves.

http://investors.pxd.com/mobile.view?c=90959&v=203&d=1&id=2015435

http://investors.pxd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=90959&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2137307

Shutting down vertical drilling cost as much in PUD reserves as the price crash. Additionally, think about how pad drilling works and how booking PUDs work. The SEC should really examine how proved reserves are booked in hz resource plays in my opinion.
GarlandAg2012
AG
The problem is that the productivity per rig was increasing for a while. Basically, any gains in efficiency and completions techniques appear to now be offest by losses due to drilling up the best rock first. However, that doesn't mean you can't have good returns.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Pioneer had 1086 MMBOE proved reserves in 2012. In 4 years, it has declined to 726. That is a total loss of 360 MMBOE.

I am asking if that is sustainable if prices do not increase soon.
since most of that decline was likely written off reserves from falling prices, it's not a sustainable trend unless oil prices continue to fall... which they have not... so no it's not sustainable. at this point their 726 proved reserves should fall only as fast as they produce them... at a far slower rate than the 90 MMBOE per year you seem to be insinuating.
VaultingChemist
AG
I am just looking for answers. Naturally as oil prices decline, reserves will also decline. I was wondering what parameters are allowed by the SEC in evaluating the value of proved reserves.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Just want to throw this out there. Sometimes the E&P companies are surprised when they stumble across even lower hanging fruit. Some of the data used to make these evaluations is quite old, and not as reliable as newer data (example: well logs). I've had areas that were supposed to be bad turn out to be really good. I've also had the opposite. Evaluations are only as good as the quality of data used to make those decisions.

As a side note, I don't know a single Geologist that isn't always tweaking their Original Oil In Place (OOIP) estimate.
PeekingDuck
AG
VaultingChemist said:

I am just looking for answers. Naturally as oil prices decline, reserves will also decline. I was wondering what parameters are allowed by the SEC in evaluating the value of proved reserves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proven_reserves

It's all a game.

'...provide third party reports as part of Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) SEC filings. On December 30 2009, recognising advances in exploration and valuation technology, the SEC allowed 2P probable and 3P possible reserves to be reported, along with 1P proved reserves, though oil companies also have to verify the independence of third party consultants. Since investors view 1P reserves with much greater importance than 2P or 3P reserves, oil companies seek to convert 2P and 3P reserves into 1P reserves.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proven_reserves#cite_note-7][7][/url]'
PeekingDuck
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

The problem is that the productivity per rig was increasing for a while. Basically, any gains in efficiency and completions techniques appear to now be offest by losses due to drilling up the best rock first. However, that doesn't mean you can't have good returns.
Yeah, that's why I edited my post to add the last sentence.
Cyp0111
Weren't u the sand ridge pumper??
Joseph Parrish
AG
Cyp0111 said:

No.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Cyp0111 said:

Also, are we using TexAgs terms or Oilfield terms? Either way, I am neither.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Hey we just had a quarter close? Did we play the guess the price of oil on July 1st game?

Who won?

Also, who's in for Oct 1 bets?

50.00 even bob
Ulrich
Joseph Parrish said:

Cyp0111 said:

Texags term. There was a guy who was really hyping Sandridge Energy for a while maybe 3-5 years ago. I can't remember his username, but I know it wasn't you.
Joseph Parrish
AG
Ulrich said:

Joseph Parrish said:

Cyp0111 said:

Texags term. There was a guy who was really hyping Sandridge Energy for a while maybe 3-5 years ago. I can't remember his username, but I know it wasn't you.

I made a lot of money on Sanchez, but I don't believe I'be ever hyped SandRidge.
Ridge14
Cyp0111 said:

JP_Losman was the hype man I originally remember driving that train.
GarlandAg2012
AG
PeekingDuck said:

VaultingChemist said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proven_reserves

It's all a game.

'...provide third party reports as part of Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) SEC filings. On December 30 2009, recognising advances in exploration and valuation technology, the SEC allowed 2P probable and 3P possible reserves to be reported, along with 1P proved reserves, though oil companies also have to verify the independence of third party consultants. Since investors view 1P reserves with much greater importance than 2P or 3P reserves, oil companies seek to convert 2P and 3P reserves into 1P reserves.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proven_reserves#cite_note-7][7][/url]'
That aspect of it is part of the game. The other is the rules for what constitutes a PUD. Basically, my understanding is that they are remnants from a vertical drilling world (at least for onshore, I've never worked anything offshore much less reserves). You can book locations offset by one step of a producing well as a PUD. For verticals this means you get 4 PUDs per individual PDP. Spacing is also an issue with downspacing allowing for more PUDs etc but for simplicity just think of an undeveloped field in which you drill a single, economic vertical well. You can now book 4 PUDs from it.

The problem (in my opinion) is that the rules are the same for HZ wells, but only apply to wells offset to the side of wells, not heel to toe, unless you have another heel to toe well on the other side of the stick you want to book. So if you drill a lone pad of 3 wells, you only get 2 PUDs, one on each side of it.

We all know that the 2nd, 3rd, and probably even 6th offset of the original pad will be a good well in a resource play like the Permian/PXDs core acreage, but you can't book them as proved reserves, so they end up in the 2P category. There are some work arounds like doing reliable technology studies (basically prove statistically with existing hz and vertical well data that the rock is consistent in a given area thus allowing you to book more than just offset PUDs) but this is time consuming and for what benefit?

Additionally, there is a 5 year rule in which operators can only book PUDs they reasonably expect to drill within 5 years. That's why PXD wrote down all the vertical reserves - they knew they wouldn't drill them. When you have a massive shift in rig count due to price fluctuations, it's possible you end up moving some PUDs to 2P+. Is the oil still there? Yes. The well may or may not be economic anymore, but every operator has economic wells on their 2P+ that they just can't book for some reason or another.
Cyp0111
Thats it. Fantastic analysis on tertiary rock.
topher06
Joseph Parrish said:

Just want to throw this out there. Sometimes the E&P companies are surprised when they stumble across even lower hanging fruit. Some of the data used to make these evaluations is quite old, and not as reliable as newer data (example: well logs). I've had areas that were supposed to be bad turn out to be really good. I've also had the opposite. Evaluations are only as good as the quality of data used to make those decisions.

As a side note, I don't know a single Geologist that isn't always tweaking their Original Oil In Place (OOIP) estimate.
Do you know any that ever tweak OOIP downwards? I think if the industry was left to geologists, we would be drilling at about 4x the pace we are currently drilling until all companies went bankrupt.
ThreeFive
AG
topher06 said:

Joseph Parrish said:

Do you know any that ever tweak OOIP downwards? I think if the industry was left to geologists, we would be drilling at about 4x the pace we are currently drilling until all companies went bankrupt.
We reduced the OGIP on a few wells recently due to water contacts being much higher than we originally thought. Although that was an in-house evaluation to determine economics on a workover.
Comeby!
AG
Is there anyone here in the business side of the pressure pumping business? Need to talk frac/breakdown pumps and possibly fleets.
aggie_wes
AG
My company manufactures pumps and flow iron, but not the trailers.
Gordo14
This article might explain the drop in oil output per rig, for anybody still interested. If this is actually how the metric works, it seems like output per frac crew is the only useful metric (I.e. the output per rig decline is driven by supply chain issues - like access to frac crews - seen in the rising DUC count in the Permian)

https://www.bloombergquint.com/opinion/2017/07/19/opec-oil-price-hopes-must-face-u-s-shale-ducs
GarlandAg2012
AG
Gordo14 said:

This article might explain the drop in oil output per rig, for anybody still interested. If this is actually how the metric works, it seems like output per frac crew is the only useful metric (I.e. the output per rig decline is driven by supply chain issues - like access to frac crews - seen in the rising DUC count in the Permian)

https://www.bloombergquint.com/opinion/2017/07/19/opec-oil-price-hopes-must-face-u-s-shale-ducs
Do you think the rise in DUCs is due to fleet availability or operators choosing to frac wells when they'll be more economic?
Cyp0111
When more economic
GarlandAg2012
AG
Cyp0111 said:

When more economic
Exactly. Which gets back to the original point that many pure play operators may be running out of A+++ acreage. Which makes total sense and is unavoidable, just something to be aware of.
First Page Last Page
Page 430 of 820

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.