Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,279,144 Views | 28676 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Comeby!
DripAG08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm saying a zero percent chance that a well, 170' away had anything to do with the explosion.

If there was a flow line near the house, or under (ridiculous, no chance) then everyone will be getting slapped with a lawsuit.
nu awlins ag
AG
sts7049 said:

they probably just want to make sure there aren't any well integrity or flowline issues that could have caused it.

but it does seem curious why they would shut in ALL vertical wells proactively like that. unless there is more to the story not reported there.
True, but it is in Colorado and they don't like the oil and gas industry. I'm almost 100% sure that the well(s) and pipelines had nothing to do with it, but as stated, since there is a well 150ft+ within the range of the house, they are acting accordingly.
sts7049
AG
i'm sure that's the case.

our old asset in McAllen had wellheads in a Home Depot parking lot and on a street corner across from a daycare, if i recall correctly. fun times.
Furlock Bones
AG
at my prior company, a developer built over our wells. there were 2 in the baseball field parking lot. numerous wells in between homes, etc. we had electric gates that opened from operation into the middle of the neighborhood. quite interesting stuff.

homes sold for around 1.8-2 million dollars.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Yea, if the well was involved at all, my money is on an old flow line leaking. But here is the well in the background of a shot of the house for reference
Ragoo
AG
The well is what 25 years old and the house 5? Sorry, but you decided the reward of living there was better than the risk. Arafat's didn't ask anyone to live near their well.
Post removed:
by user
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
I listened to the press conference done by the COGCC today, he opens with "it is still an ongoing investigation and we don't know yet what caused the explosion"
Then every question was along the lines of why is there not more regulation preventing houses from being so close to wells...
Thriller
AG
Anti-drilling and anti-fracking are all the rage up here these days, especially in the communities north of Denver
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Haha that's essentially what the commissioner said. That they regulate how close new wells can be put to existing structures but that it had no jurisdiction to regulate new homes being built by old wells that authority sat with local governments.
The follow up question was if the state had considered setting state control over that
His response was that the state wide push was currently to give more controlling his power to the local level and so no, the state had not considered taking away existing local authority. It was kind of awesome
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Yea. Make sure my job tons of fun. I'm just glad they didn't get there new setback constitutional amendment to the ballot last year.
nu awlins ag
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

I listened to the press conference done by the COGCC today, he opens with "it is still an ongoing investigation and we don't know yet what caused the explosion"
Then every question was along the lines of why is there not more regulation preventing houses from being so close to wells...
Hot water heater, enclosed basement, natural gas leaking, spark.....yup, it was the well's fault.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
nu awlins ag said:

BlackGoldAg2011 said:

Hot water heater, enclosed basement, natural gas leaking, spark.....yup, it was the well's fault.
Yup, because wells are actually portals to hell allowing demons to invade and destroy everything nearby... at least that's they message I get when they are discussed. That's why when people ask what I do my sarcastic answer is "destroying the world one well at a time"

Serious note though, agreed. My money is on bootleg plumbing and natural gas leak from a water heater supply line or connection point. If the well was in any way involved at all my money would be on an old flow line running by the basement and leaking in. But I would say it is so much less likely that it shouldn't even be a real consideration.
nu awlins ag
AG
Got a little story for ya. I was in Denver on business several years ago and was sitting at a bar waiting for my cab to pick me up. This lady and man sitting next to me starting a conversation with me. Everything was fine until she asked what I did. She then proceeded to get down right nasty with me. The funny part, she said gasoline would not be so expensive if they didn't have to truck it in from Houston. I just shook my head....wow. The average Suzy/Joe can be really, really stupid.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
nu awlins ag said:

The average Suzy/Joe can be really, really stupid.
Just your daily reminder that half the population has below average IQ. WE forget that when we spend our days working with educated professionals.
Quote:

Got a little story for ya. I was in Denver on business several years ago and was sitting at a bar waiting for my cab to pick me up. This lady and man sitting next to me starting a conversation with me. Everything was fine until she asked what I did. She then proceeded to get down right nasty with me. The funny part, she said gasoline would not be so expensive if they didn't have to truck it in from Houston. I just shook my head....wow.
Did you ask her for input on where she would like to put a refinery in Colorado?
nu awlins ag
AG
I did ask her if she had ever been to Greely....
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
hahaha, not a bad little town once you've been there long enough that your brain starts filtering out the smell.

Although i'm sure some old ranchers would just say it smells like money.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Family and friends said Irwin had been called to help the Martinez family with the hot-water heater in their two-story home that they had lived in since 2015. Both Martinez and Irwin were experienced handymen, working as a public works foreman and as a plumber, respectively.
The most likely scenario is Irwin knew just enough from his time as a plumber to be dangerous. My question would be if we had his master plumber's license. This is why I will work on my own home's plumbing without a problem, but I don't go anywhere near the gas lines.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Funny, because my experience so far with licensed plumbers is why i won't let anyone but myself anywhere near the gas lines in my house...
FHKChE07
AG
I actually had a conversation with a True Green Californian in Singapore once where he asked me what I did for a living and I said I worked in oil and gas and his response was, "How does it feel to be killing the environment every day?"

I just didn't know what to say. So I just walked away. Not bothering to ask how his airplane was powered to get him across the Pacific...
nu awlins ag
AG
It's because he swam his way over...
The Original AG 76
AG
FHKChE07 said:

I actually had a conversation with a True Green Californian in Singapore once where he asked me what I did for a living and I said I worked in oil and gas and his response was, "How does it feel to be killing the environment every day?"

I just didn't know what to say. So I just walked away. Not bothering to ask how his airplane was powered to get him across the Pacific...
you should have thrown a piece of gum on the ground at his feet and hollered for the environmental police !!! These types need a good caning !
Talon2DSO
AG
While I was working at the law firm, one of the partners introduced me to the head of Big Brothers Big Sisters here because she wanted to throw a fundraiser for the organization and wanted the oil and gas companies to pony up. They wanted me to help with introductions and collection. Normally, I'm happy to help but this time I had serious misgivings. During our conversation she made sure to tell me she "has no use for those...frackers" to which I asked if her stove was gas or electric. She replied it was gas. My response "congrats, you have a pipeline coming right into your house."

I then spent the next 30 mins or so, telling her the story of driving to grandma's house down in Florida. How we have a small neighborhood street that turns into a county road which turns into a state highway that merges into a federal highway. This is much akin to our pipeline system. Imagine your vehicle as one little molecule traveling to become the blue flame on grandma's stove. This blue flame brings us security, safety, and comfort...all in the form of a hot cup of tea or a tray full of freshly baked cookies.

She didn't buy it. I didn't lift a finger.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
FHKChE07 said:

This would have been the correct response:

also acceptable would have been:
nu awlins ag
AG
Talon, I realized long ago you can't reason or talk logically to these people. I bet she drove an expensive gasoline vehicle?
Furlock Bones
AG
noise that something is happening at Linn. does not sound good. anybody else hearing anything.

Could be total and complete BS. No idea myself.
FHKChE07
AG
Yeah, I wasn't too mad, working as an asian expat at 23... I slept well at night.
Talon2DSO
AG
It's Pittsburgh. She likely drove a Prius. Lots of greenies up here. It would be easier to shut off their heat in the winter.
nu awlins ag
AG
Talon2DSO said:

It's Pittsburgh. She likely drove a Prius. Lots of greenies up here. It would be easier to shut off their heat in the winter.
Then I bet she sped, which in turn uses more fuel. As for the heat, go for it. I say they last a few days, maybe a week. Cold showers are cold...
74OA
AG
nm
dragmagpuff
AG
Permian Resources with a major restructuring announced last night.
SidetrackAg
AG
Any of you heard about this new bit from BHI?
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170502005945/en/
We had a company man that would constantly yell "MASH ON IT", and "As soon as we tag bottom let's put all we can on it and get that nose buried". We'd trip every 36 hours. Pain in the ass! We'd DBR quite a few bits.
Aggielandma12
AG
So who paid 1.2bn for Nobles Marcellus package? Someone on here has to know!
Dr. Doctor
AG
Aggielandma12 said:

So who paid 1.2bn for Nobles Marcellus package? Someone on here has to know!
It was me. Personally.

Found some pocket change and figured, why not?

~egon
First Page Last Page
Page 416 of 820

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.