Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,279,123 Views | 28676 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Comeby!
PeekingDuck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got a quick question for any of you D&C guys. Do you use ultra low sulfur diesel on all the generators, frac engines, etc...? We're being pushed by a county to do it for one of our permits and I wasn't sure if that was a reasonable request or not
74OA
AG
US Imports and Exports

So the reason we are exporting US oil instead of consuming it domestically is because our refineries are not set up to process the grade of oil that fracking produces? How long will the economics of that make sense--buying foreign oil while simultaneously selling domestic oil internationally--before we adjust our refineries?
Aggielandma12
AG
PeekingDuck said:

I've got a quick question for any of you D&C guys. Do you use ultra low sulfur diesel on all the generators, frac engines, etc...? We're being pushed by a county to do it for one of our permits and I wasn't sure if that was a reasonable request or not

you in the DJ basin?
PeekingDuck
AG
That's where this question originates, yes. Work all over though.
Aggielandma12
AG
I don't have an answer for you, but I'm keeping a close eye on Broomfield ando Boulder area activity.
PeekingDuck
AG
There are some spectacular nutcases out there. I wish I could share some of the conversations we've seen.
ChemEAg08
AG
Many of us are already working projects to start taking more domestic crude, but 100% conversion would take significant expansions/projects...
74OA
AG
Ok, but what conversion percentage would be sufficient to make us energy independent?

We'll never be truely independent if we can't process our own fracked oil and still have to rely on foreign imports....
AngryAG
From what I gather, Middle East oil is necessary to the refining process.
Comeby!
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Have heard EnCap and NGP are net sellers of the Permian at these price levels. Economics just don't make sense especially when you account for lack of infrastructure in many parts of the Delaware.

I can confirm.
Dr. Doctor
AG
A lot of it has to do with history and supplies. One reason back in the 90's Aramco buying/partnering with Shell was that Shell got a stable supply of crude, who could run the refinery at a improved run-rate and not lose money.

Fracking/shale oil is relatively new, much higher API number and creates a whole host of different cuts/blends. Refineries aren't able to switch at the drop of a hat (think back to all the semi-annual articles about gas prices going up due to winter/summer blend switch).

To change a refinery to switch crude slates takes usually about a billion dollars. If shale/tight/light oil is a stable supply, for long enough, refiners might start changing things out.

A lot of the GC refineries are designed to run on PEMEX crude or Venezuelan crude. Or heavy sour Saudi. You won't convert on a dime to Bakken light oil.

A few presentations I have seen at conferences show most are trying to blend fracked oil together with heavier stuff; think blending gasoline, but crude. Buy even cheaper heavy stuff, mix with light shale oil and you can get close to what the original design of the refinery was. Cheaper than buying that oil on the market (i.e., designed for light sweet Middle East blend, but running DilBit and Bakken mixture).

~egon
mm98
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

A lot of it has to do with history and supplies. One reason back in the 90's Aramco buying/partnering with Shell was that Shell got a stable supply of crude, who could run the refinery at a improved run-rate and not lose money.

Fracking/shale oil is relatively new, much higher API number and creates a whole host of different cuts/blends. Refineries aren't able to switch at the drop of a hat (think back to all the semi-annual articles about gas prices going up due to winter/summer blend switch).

To change a refinery to switch crude slates takes usually about a billion dollars. If shale/tight/light oil is a stable supply, for long enough, refiners might start changing things out.

A lot of the GC refineries are designed to run on PEMEX crude or Venezuelan crude. Or heavy sour Saudi. You won't convert on a dime to Bakken light oil.

A few presentations I have seen at conferences show most are trying to blend fracked oil together with heavier stuff; think blending gasoline, but crude. Buy even cheaper heavy stuff, mix with light shale oil and you can get close to what the original design of the refinery was. Cheaper than buying that oil on the market (i.e., designed for light sweet Middle East blend, but running DilBit and Bakken mixture).

~egon

And to illustrate Egon's point, look at what BP Whiting spent to process the sludge oil from Fort McMurray. It was several billion IIRC. Not a GC example, but still applies.
74OA
AG
Very informative, thanks.

You want to speculate how much longer US refineries will wait until investing in a switch to shale? Is there some sort of economic tipping point they're looking for?

Are foreign refineries set up for shale, if not, why are international customers buying it?
aggie028
Net sellers because the market is so hot for most of the assets they are currently holding but still buying anything they can at $20k or less per acre as far as I can tell. Encap just bought from PXD yesterday in Martin.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I almost worked on that work; I was working on a project for another OH refinery and was slated to jump to BP, but they cancelled the project because they found a great deal on pollution credits. So they postponed the work.

And sent me scrambling to find another project to land on...

~egon
mm98
AG
74OA said:

You want to speculate how much longer US refineries will wait until investing in a switch to shale? Is there some sort of economic tipping point they're looking for?

Are foreign refineries set up for shale, if not, why are international customers buying it?

I could be wrong but I believe most of our oil from shale regions are being bought by Canada and Mexico.
mm98
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

I almost worked on that work; I was working on a project for another OH refinery and was slated to jump to BP, but they cancelled the project because they found a great deal on pollution credits. So they postponed the work.

And sent me scrambling to find another project to land on...

~egon

We're you with BP, Jacobs, or Fluor at the time?
Dr. Doctor
AG
74OA said:

I had a long post, but TA ate it. I'll try to retype.

If we take a refinery for example, Port Arthur (Shell), we can explain things. It is listed as 600,000 BB/day refinery (largest in the US). To feed it with trains, it would take 10 unit trains (100 cars long). If we get one ULLC ship, we can go about 5 days (3MM per load). Getting that much light oil to a refinery is hard. To put the numbers in a different light, 600,000 BBL per day is 25,200,000 gallons a day. 1,050,000 GPH. 17,500 GPM of oil.

One issue that plagued refineries in the past (mid-90's) was under utilization. A refinery can only turn down so much before things quit working. Usually this is the distillation column(s) in a unit. For packed columns (one type), the turn down can be 50-60% before it starts getting wonky. For a trayed column (the other type), you can get lower, some as low as 30%. BUT trayed columns are less efficient (require more height to do same separation) and usually have higher pressure drop over the column. So refineries changed to packed columns (more with the same column).

But as you run lighter crudes, you tend to make more of the lighter end of the crack. So slightly lightening up the incoming crude can cause your lighter units to run more, which is good. This can also take some of the load off the heavier end (tar/coker/vacuum resid). This is good as well. You could run more overall products through the refinery because you de-bottlenecked the lower end by switching to lighter crudes (assuming you have storage and cooling capacity).

But one issue is the lighter end units require higher temperatures to run to do this. This will destroy you catalyst faster and/or destroy the heaters faster (bent tubes). So a normal catalyst change out is $4-6 MM, usually every 18 months. You also will need more cooling to offset the heating you are doing. And potentially more compressor space (gases need higher pressure to go somewhere). If your equipment is undersized or constrained already, you cannot run more light crude.

One thing the US has done is stopped importing the light oil.

This re-affirms that most of the 'new' oil coming online in the US is lighter than traditional sources:

A few of the refineries that were shuttered in the 2000's and 2010's were East Coast refineries that were slated to run on lighter crudes (Kuwait light crude IIRC). When the price got to high (compared to the GC), they went under; they were also smaller than other US refineries. Now that domestic crude is cheaper, they have come back online and processing (Delta bought an old Philly refinery and is/was making Jet A for them). But since they are buying oil on the market and don't have long term contracts/supplies, their P&L swing with the market. The supply problem is/was making or breaking them.

To address that, one pipeline, the Dakota Access Pipeline, is 470,000 bpd. That would not even supply just Shell Port A, but it helps.

Another fun fact is that some Mexican refineries, IIRC, are slated to run on really light crude and the US/GC refineries are slated to run on heavy stuff. So the "Export Oil" was more of a swap for a while; we gave mexico they could use and they gave us oil we could use (Eagle Ford).

I think as major OC and IOCs get back into the US, refineries will start changing over to take/utilize more domestic crudes/lighter oils. I think IOCs getting into the US production side will show stability in the production side, which is what an operator of a refinery is looking for. Do you go with the shady looking guy on the side of the road that claims to be cheaper, but might not be there tomorrow or do you go with the slightly more expensive guy who has a respectable business front (think Saudis) and a guarantee (and ships)?

I think if refineries start changing over, they aren't going to go wholesale over to light crudes. They will open up their abilities and marginally improve equipment capabilities. Increase cooling tower size, add a small booster compressor, add reboiler/condenser to column(s).

Another example was a refinery in Africa. They wanted to run 3 different crude cuts (don't remember which ones). Essentially we would have to build almost 3 different refineries due to the differences in oil. But the main oil was the most stable, so it was designed to that one (obviously). The other 2 grades were nearby crudes, but the supply was HIGHLY unstable due to terrorism/sabotage. That changed the price from about $7 billion to $13-15 billion.

I would also see upgrades to refineries if there is an increase to demand (obviously). That would give the refiner cover to spend money on upgrades. But things now are status-quo, I doubt they would spend money unless they feel the tight oil supply is stable enough and would give a 'good' enough return (cost of new oil vs. cost of current oil and products of new oil vs. products of current oil over 3-5 year payback).

Hopefully this isn't too long and too boring. Lots of variables but an interesting market (of which I have a partial interest as my company works on refineries (and would love to start again!).

Edit #1 - I forgot something before. Before 2015-2016 (2008 till 2014), the WTI and Brent spreads were HIGHLY attractive to US refiners. The fracked oil (shale/tight/etc) was selling for WTI prices, but the refined products are based upon Brent prices. So as Brent stayed high, but WTI went down, it was in the best interest of the US refiners to run as much oil as they could. And seeing as they could replace (easily) imported light, sweet crude with US light sweet, bam! they did. If the spread starts going back up again and staying, (Brent rises, but WTI stays the same), I would see refiners starting to take the idea of re-tooling/changing the refinery seriously.

TL;DR - I think when supplies are stabilized, refineries will start converting. But not quickly and more on a case-by-case scenario. Ones that could convert quickly already have.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Neither.

A international EPC firm in Houston. But we did have part of the work. I also have a friend who works at the refinery in the environmental group (or did).
Comeby!
AG
Quote:

If we take a refinery for example, Port Arthur (Shell), we can explain things. It is listed as 600,000 BB/day refinery (largest in the US). To feed it with trains, it would take 10 unit trains (100 cars long). If we get one ULLC ship, we can go about 5 days (3MM per load). Getting that much light oil to a refinery is hard. To put the numbers in a different light, 600,000 BBL per day is 25,200,000 gallons a day. 1,050,000 GPH. 17,500 GPM of oil.

Ehh, it's only about 400 bpm. #FracAnimal
Ragoo
AG
Great post doc. I am just getting into the refinery side. I run NAM aftermarket for our business and our largest install base of equipment is the old petreco bilectric and cylectric desalter.
Comeby!
AG
On another note, WTH is going on at Halcon? Seeing engineers getting bounced over there.
DripAG08
AG
I'd imagine they're looking for a fresh start to kick off their Permian buy.
74OA
AG
Wow. Well, I asked for it. Thanks for the tutorial. Shale quantity and reliability seem to be the keys for refiners to commit to costly conversions. It'll be interesting to see how it works out. Thanks again.........
BCG Disciple
AG
Informative posts. I have been under the impression that some Mexican refineries are better able to process shale and for this reason we have been trying to swap our shale (better for their refineries) for Pemex crude (better for our refineries). I know there are some sizable pipelines being instructed across the border to accomplish this. These may be for gas, as I know they have also been trying to capitalize on our nat gas prices.
Dr. Doctor
AG
BCG Disciple said:

Informative posts. I have been under the impression that some Mexican refineries are better able to process shale and for this reason we have been trying to swap our shale (better for their refineries) for Pemex crude (better for our refineries). I know there are some sizable pipelines being instructed across the border to accomplish this. These may be for gas, as I know they have also been trying to capitalize on our nat gas prices.
Part of the pipeline construction I have seen (or read) was both gas and oil. But probably primarily gas. Mexico is trying to get their power generation up and going (more stable) and gas supplies will do that. Their fields are in massive decline and they need massive amounts of money to get it back up. The oil pipelines that are already there used to flow to the US; all we need to do is turn the pumps around (not easy, but easier than building a new pipeline).

EIA info for all oil and refined to Mexico (1994 to date)

This link shows oil and refined products going to Mexico. You can see a nice steady increase. I don't know if this is daily or monthly totals.

Top 5 Import/Export countries

Here you can see that we have a net import of about 70k bpd from Mexico. My understanding with most of the contracts were more 'swaps' than actual export/import. You are correct in that Mexico used lighter crudes and the US used heavier crudes. But the lighters went away, so their refineries needed another source.

I remember during the export ban dialogue was that Mexico would be the recipient of all the oil. But we were already swapping (aka exporting) oil to them. Some has changed, but not much.

~egon
Goose06
AG
BCG Disciple said:

This is correct. I haven't followed the status of the projects but I believe Magellan and Howard each had big Corpus to Mexico pipeline projects to take refined products to Mexico and I was initially confused by this because Mexico exports crude and has something like 70% refinery utilization. But when I talked to people knowledgable about it the problem is their crude is too heavy for their refineries. So they import light crude, export heavy crude and still can't keep their refineries full so they still have to import refined products as well.
Goose06
AG
aggie028 said:

Net sellers because the market is so hot for most of the assets they are currently holding but still buying anything they can at $20k or less per acre as far as I can tell. Encap just bought from PXD yesterday in Martin.
Which Encap portfolio company bought that?
aggie028
Petro Legacy
Gig-Em2003
AG
Have they sold their eagle ford assets yet?
BPCAg05
AG
Houston-based Phillips 66 (NYSE: PSX) has announced a new project, a West Texas pipeline that would move crude out of the Delaware Basin portion of the Permian Basin toward Midland, Texas, and the company is seeking committed shippers for the prospective line.
FarmerJohn
AG
Geez, Dr Doctors post may be the most informative single post in Texags history. That was impressive.
Skillet Shot
Anyone looking to hire a 3 year operations engineer with drilling, completions and production experience?
Ag13
AG
https://www.wsj.com/articles/shell-goes-on-a-deep-water-drilling-diet-1490024220

Interesting article

Quote:

The company is also adopting techniques from smaller upstart firms and onshore fracking operations for its deep-water projects, such as drilling horizontal water-injection wells to help maximize oil recovery in fields once thought to be played out.
sts7049
AG
is there a link to an article not behind a paywall?
First Page Last Page
Page 408 of 820

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.