Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,271,864 Views | 28662 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by SweaterVest
mts6175
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who's picking up Goodrich's Eagle Ford acreage?

http://eaglefordtexas.com/news/id/154965/goodrich-petroleum-corporation-finalizing-major-eagle-ford-asset-sale/
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
quote:
I have t seen it posted here yet but I heard Chevron recently announced elimination of 1500 employee positions over the next 3 months. Apparently this was based on $70 oil and there is likely to be another round of reductions based on $50 oil.

Has anyone else heard anything similar?

They are a customer of ours and we were told that everyone we deal with on the deep water side would have to reapply for their jobs. Fun times considering we are in the middle of a quote and there has been much infighting regarding requirements and specs to justify jobs. We have no idea who we will be dealing with or which factions will win out.
AgLA06,
Your point about requirements and specs to justify jobs hit a very sensitive spot with me. I've been in the mfg side of the offshore business since the 80's and the last 7 years of so have seen an explosion of useless, idiotic not justified yet unbending demands for compliance with specs that have NO reasonable justification or are downright counterproductive. We all think it is a bunch of over educated kids infesting the customers engineering and procurement depts simply trolling books and books of specs and requirements, adding anything they can find to RFQ's while having NO IDEA what they are even buying and then refusing to budge just so they can have endless meetings with us in useless negotiations while driving the price for a simple product into the stratosphere ! these kids don't even have any idea how MOST of the gear they are specing out WORKS nor what it does. These are Capitol Equipment guys !!! Damn near ALL of the old guys who we have been dealing with for decades are gone or are just sitting back laughing. Its happening all over the industry and Its INSANE and its also why those of us who actually understand our products and the industry are done, over, fed up and LEAVING !!!
Goose06
AG
quote:
Who's picking up Goodrich's Eagle Ford acreage?

http://eaglefordtexas.com/news/id/154965/goodrich-petroleum-corporation-finalizing-major-eagle-ford-asset-sale/

My guess would be Cabot or Blackbrush.
beefisbest
Is it time to buy Halcon (HK)? Their CEO did a great job at Petrowhawk.
pfo
AG
quote:
Is it time to buy Halcon (HK)? Their CEO did a great job at Petrowhawk.

Their CEO caught lightening in a bottle when their shallow cotton valley Elm Grove Field happened to lay on top of the very best part of the Haynesville early in the shale boom. But he really played it beautifully once it fell into his lap. Petrohawk was a pleasure to do business with.

In my opinion there are far better companies with far better assets than Halcon. And unfortunately the rising tide that Petrohawk enjoyed has turned into an out going tide for our industry.

techno-ag
AG
Is HK in danger of being delisted? It's below $1.00.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Oops. Wrong thread.
BPCAg05
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
Believe it or not, that is actually the Iranian Minister of Energy
TxAg20
AG
quote:
Texas production has slowed down. The peak was December with 86.9M BBLS

April was 77.5M BBLS and May 75.6M BBLS. No June numbers published yet by RRC

Where did you get this information? I'm hearing the Permian is around 2 million bbls/day and the Eagle Ford is ~1.4 million bbls/day. Those come to ~102 million bbls/month. Not saying you're wrong, I just would like to see it.
nu awlins ag
AG
From the RRC site:

Eagleford production per day was 1,038,176 from Jan-May 2015, down from last year.

Permian production per day was 1,278,565 from Jan-May 2015, up from last year.

On a 30 day average the Eagleford was 31 million and the Permian was 38 million.

Combine them and you are at ~70 million on a 30 day average. Condensate numbers are 266,000 in the Eagleford and 29,000 in the Permian. As was noted by Ross, the Eagleford would fall further than the Permian, and the Permian will bounce back faster than the Eagleford once prices start to firm/rebound.
Dan Scott
AG
This is off the RRC website.
nu awlins ag
AG
Dan, yes it was from their website. June numbers are not out yet. You can bet that the numbers will be lower in June for the Eagleford.
AgLA06
AG
Take a quick breath.

I'm on the same side of the industry as you. I disagree with the kids part. Hell by old timers like you standards, I'm one of those kids.

It has nothing to do with age. Educated people are taking advantage of using "safety" as an excuse to guarantee their employment and I don't blame them one bit.

It starts with hiring contractors to do the lion's share of work on projects that used to be done internally in the name of cost cutting. Before you know it things are over designed and billable hours are out of control, but no one will question the real problem because safety is always the first justification thrown out. Safety is extremely important but industry standards, risk matrix, and material specs are there for a reason and it typically isn't the minimum.

The old timers are just as guilty by not calling bs. Maybe it's because retirement is just on the horizon or because everyone was making enough before it didn't matter. However, in this environment it is costing us projects and ultimately jobs when revenue can't make up the additional unneeded costs.

It isn't always company wide or just engineering either. On one of our ongoing quotes we have conflicting clarifications between client departments. Engineering recognized some requirements were over the top, but the contractual department won't budge from old written processes. Our only hope is operators will be forced to cut overlapping departments and personel (especially contractors) to minimize the layers of red tape and approval or at least ensure we only need it from our actual client.
RightWingConspirator
AG
quote:
I have t seen it posted here yet but I heard Chevron recently announced elimination of 1500 employee positions over the next 3 months. Apparently this was based on $70 oil and there is likely to be another round of reductions based on $50 oil.

Has anyone else heard anything similar?
You have heard correctly. I believe the total was 2100 (600 are contractors).
LostInLA07
AG
More details on this round of CVX layoffs, and I strongly suspect more to follow:

500 reductions / 6500 Bay Area employees
+
950 reductions / 8000 Houston area employees
+
50 international employees
+
600 contractors

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_28546572/chevron-cutting-500-jobs-san-ramon

BP also indicated additional layoffs during their earnings call today.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
Take a quick breath.

I'm on the same side of the industry as you. I disagree with the kids part. Hell by old timers like you standards, I'm one of those kids.

It has nothing to do with age. Educated people are taking advantage of using "safety" as an excuse to guarantee their employment and I don't blame them one bit.

It starts with hiring contractors to do the lion's share of work on projects that used to be done internally in the name of cost cutting. Before you know it things are over designed and billable hours are out of control, but no one will question the real problem because safety is always the first justification thrown out. Safety is extremely important but industry standards, risk matrix, and material specs are there for a reason and it typically isn't the minimum.

The old timers are just as guilty by not calling bs. Maybe it's because retirement is just on the horizon or because everyone was making enough before it didn't matter. However, in this environment it is costing us projects and ultimately jobs when revenue can't make up the additional unneeded costs.

It isn't always company wide or just engineering either. On one of our ongoing quotes we have conflicting clarifications between client departments. Engineering recognized some requirements were over the top, but the contractual department won't budge from old written processes. Our only hope is operators will be forced to cut overlapping departments and personel (especially contractors) to minimize the layers of red tape and approval or at least ensure we only need it from our actual client.

AgLA,
I'm not even talking about the ".safety " scam ( even though it is a huge problem ) I'm talking about some 27 yr old phd from Karjackastan metallurgist demanding a material spec developed for some space application called unobtainium for a damn shipping can made from low alloy mild steel for 40 years without a single failure while the engineer doesn't want it at all, the operator tries to tell em both that no one uses it , it goes right in the scrap bin, procurement demands a detailed structural analysis cause he found one on a high tech gizmo he bought and thought it looked important..... On and on . Us " old timers "!have tried to tell em over and over that it's nothing but a damn can to keep bird sh:t off the threads ......... And no one listens.
It's not that we aren't trying to pass down the accumulated decades of information and experience ...its that no one cares nor listens.
TxAg20
AG
quote:
From the RRC site:

Eagleford production per day was 1,038,176 from Jan-May 2015, down from last year.

Permian production per day was 1,278,565 from Jan-May 2015, up from last year.

On a 30 day average the Eagleford was 31 million and the Permian was 38 million.

Combine them and you are at ~70 million on a 30 day average. Condensate numbers are 266,000 in the Eagleford and 29,000 in the Permian. As was noted by Ross, the Eagleford would fall further than the Permian, and the Permian will bounce back faster than the Eagleford once prices start to firm/rebound.

I just confirmed with Plains that the Permian is producing 1.8-1.9 million bbls/day. That includes New Mexico, which probably isn't reflected in the RRC numbers, but I wouldn't think New Mexico makes up the difference there. I'm afraid something is off in the RRC's numbers. I know they used to take 8+ months to assign a lease number which is when production reporting starts for a lease. I just talked to our in house regulatory guy and he said it's now about a 1 week turnaround.
Saltwater Assassin
AG
I am 1000% sure I need to drink a beer with origanl ag 76.
dahouse
AG
The FRC fiasco fits this tangent discussion.

I looked at a CoP pipeline project, 100+ degree weather. We had to have full FRC and full PPE in a field to look at ROW. No existing pipelines, no product, no facilites, GRASS FIELD. Full.freaking.FRC

Demo-ing a station for APC now in South Texas. No gas in station, suction and discharge blinded off, station blown down and purged...FULL FRC. I guess the oxygen in the atmosphere might spontaneously combust.

Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
GEA89
AG
Getting back to the discussion on China and how they are affecting this situation I read this article on Rigzone a little while ago. Thought it was relevant and certainly won't cheer us up.

Rigzone Link
Cyp011
AG
Gea89, It's going to get much worse before it gets better.

If prices stay down here when we enter redetermination season this fall it will be ugly. Most lenders kicked the can down the road this spring with the hope of a price recovery. With some of the other regulatory items around "total leverage" affecting the larger banks on individual credits it will be interesting.
TxAg20
AG
quote:
The FRC fiasco fits this tangent discussion.

I looked at a CoP pipeline project, 100+ degree weather. We had to have full FRC and full PPE in a field to look at ROW. No existing pipelines, no product, no facilites, GRASS FIELD. Full.freaking.FRC

Demo-ing a station for APC now in South Texas. No gas in station, suction and discharge blinded off, station blown down and purged...FULL FRC. I guess the oxygen in the atmosphere might spontaneously combust.

Some of my landmen had to the same thing on a site visit to some acreage we acquired 50% interest and operations from COP on. COP is coming to our office next month for a meeting and I was joking that we should require PPE between the parking garage and our lobby. Maybe a safety meeting before getting on the elevator.
Goose06
AG
I have a meeting at Exxon's corporate office this week. I was told to arrive at least 30 minutes early to go through safety orientation. At some of the other majors offices you aren't allowed to drink coffee or walk up/down stairs without going through safety orientation as well, from what I have been told. Really quite ridiculous...
LostInLA07
AG
Don't forget your FRCs and gloves so you can touch light switches. And you'll need gloves and safety glasses for lunch, but you can take off your FRCs as long as you are wearing double hearing protection..
GEA89
AG
nm
LostInLA07
AG
Look up.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
FRCs are a sore subject with me. They have led to more heat related injuries than flash fires ever would. Completely ridiculous and a wasted expense. COP and Exxon may have started it but everyone else in the industry has continued to make it worse. All the service companies that I know of require them at all times on location or in the yard.

Safety is very important, I have seen some needless injuries over my career. But FRCs should be done away with ASAP except in cases where a flash fire is actually a hazard, which is in very few instances.
GEA89
AG
NM
Ezra Brooks
AG
In the early 2000's, someone at COP in Barltesville, OK cut themselves using a pair of scissors.

Under the banner of safety, all scissors were confiscated.

The resulting pile of scissors was donated to the local elementary schools.

Not kidding.
nu awlins ag
AG
Go to a Penn Virginia field meeting. At Shell they have safety meetings to plan safety meetings.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
quote:
In the early 2000's, someone at COP in Barltesville, OK cut themselves using a pair of scissors.

Not kidding.
Well that just makes sense. After all, a school kid cutting themselves with a pair of scissors wouldn't hurt COP's TRIR rating.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me at all.
Ezra Brooks
AG
It actually made it to a Dilbert cartoon, though I never saw it.
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
quote:

Not kidding.
Well that just makes sense. After all, a school kid cutting themselves with a pair of scissors wouldn't hurt COP's TRIR rating.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me at all.
It's still likely costs out of COP's pocket, given that the school kid would high likely be covered by COP insurance.
dahouse
AG
When the money was flowing in from the higher prices, Exxon would spend stupid amounts of money on safety at their new headquarters construction. They implemented all the safety policies from the O&G side of the business onto the GC's and subs on that project. Talk about a fustercluck. Try getting a rebar tie hand or a metal stud installer to follow refinery safety protocols. My Dad worked there for the stone contractor on the pre-job stuff and he was asked to leave the job because his laces on his boots were frayed.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
First Page Last Page
Page 125 of 819

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.