Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,272,091 Views | 28662 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by SweaterVest
pootiessock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Yes. I'm planning on paying a fairly sizable portion via cash. I'm also likely buying for a 5-7 year time horizon so more concerned on overpaying from an equity perspective vs getting clipped on interest rates.

What part of Houston? I recommend joining a Houston real estate investment group on Facebook. Lots of off market deals come across there. We are currently working a deal in the woodlands where we are paying 70k for a house that will be worth 200k when we are done.
ac04
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm an idiot investor but seems like it's time to go in hard with 5+ yr money.

Same here. What do the smart people on here think? Wait it out a little longer? I figure the impending consolidation will position the smart companies well for the long run.
This is relevant to my interests. I'll probably go with a fund like VGENX or something similar over individual stocks, but not sure whether to get in now or wait.

i have been kicking around the idea of buying more VDE for a few weeks. now seems like a nice spot to jump in to me, glad someone else mentioned it first
aggie028
I am waiting but I am probably more exposed than you guys. Want to see production start the decline. My personal opinion is even then it won't be too late and there may even be some rough waters to navigate through before prices come back up.
pfo
AG
I have raised investable cash over the last year to 19% with 20% cash being my standard high target when I see trouble ahead. America is in stagnation and malaise very similar to the Jimmy Carter presidency. And for many of the same reasons of high taxes and regulation. But unlike Carter interest rates can't come down for the next president because they have been kept near zero during the entire 6 year Obama presidency to keep us out of a depression. The American recovery is a myth based on the "miracle" of almost zero interest rates. But America fixed nothing during the last 6 years and instead doubled the debt, increased taxes, entitlements and regulation. America won't grow at the 4% rate needed. We will be lucky to "muddle along" at 2% growth. Countries with our problems don't grow.

So America can no longer buy the rest of the world's excess goods as we have since WWII. That's going to keep the rest of the world from growing much too.

I expect the WTI oil price curve to mirror the 1982-1986 post "74-81" boom years, so somewhere in the range it's been. Nat gas range will stay in the $2-$5.25 range is my guess there.

So my bottom line is to keep my oil and gas hatches battoned down. I buy minerals and drill for new production, high end real estate and buy mainly dividend paying very high quality stocks. None of my new stock purchases have been oil and gas.

Our industry has had its "every 20 year boom" and it's over. I was a survivor of the last bust and will survive this one too by maintaining low overhead and saying NO to almost all O&G investment ideas but holding enough dry powder to hit my pitch, when it finally comes right down the middle of the plate, out of the park.

We have 3 daughters that saved and will weather this and the coming storm well and one son who works in the oil patch and hasn't saved a dime. We have his old room ready and are expecting his return within the next year.

Thanks Original Ag for starting this great thread, Comeby for you wisdom, Dan Scott for your analysis and all of you for your industry perspective. Best of luck to all of us Ags!

Talon2DSO
AG
Rumor has it Consol/CNX has its days numbered. Kinda glad I didn't take that position I interviewed for a year back.
RangerRick9211
AG
Will we see Cushing concerns reignite?

Another build week and turn-around season is a little over a month away.
LostInLA07
AG
I don't see how Brent holds above $50. The question is my mind is how long it will stay under $50.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
every day Brent is below $50, we're crushing the rest of the world. This is going to be the downturn that solidifies American domination of the future World Energy markets. We're at about $30 breakeven right now, we don't have to fund our government on $110/oil. Every day that Brent is below $50 is like a haymaker to the rapidly declining Saudi money-gut. It's going to be a tough row to hoe, but I think we'll be the last man standing at the end.
TheVarian
AG
Natasha Romanoff
quote:
every day Brent is below $50, we're crushing the rest of the world. This is going to be the downturn that solidifies American domination of the future World Energy markets. We're at about $30 breakeven right now, we don't have to fund our government on $110/oil. Every day that Brent is below $50 is like a haymaker to the rapidly declining Saudi money-gut. It's going to be a tough row to hoe, but I think we'll be the last man standing at the end.
$30 break-even is for a small portion of shale acreage. The best of the best. Not enough to even come close to sustaining our current production level.

No idea in regards to deep-water GOM or shallow EOR.

Now if it was just Brent and not WTI suffering, you would have a point.
Post removed:
by user
pfo
AG
quote:
CVX breaking 90 and XOM breaking 80. How much lower do they go?

I asked my Dad that many years ago and his reply was "Theoretically it can go to zero son". Ha! No help I know but your question reminded me of mine after the Exxon Valdez disaster.
Gordo14
quote:
quote:
$30 break-even is for a small portion of shale acreage. The best of the best. Not enough to even come close to sustaining our current production level.

I work shallow eor. We view our breakeven for the capital development program is about $27/bbl (converting new waterflood injectors and rtping wells in the water flood). However, to continue operating within our cash flow, our breakeven is much lower - more like $15/bbl.
LostInLA07
AG
I wonder if the market is anticipating a dividend cut, at least by Chevron?
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm not including sunk costs in that estimate, just marginal cost to drill. It's definitely going to hurt, but I think it will hurt less here than anywhere else.
Dan Scott
AG
Texas production has slowed down. The peak was December with 86.9M BBLS

April was 77.5M BBLS and May 75.6M BBLS. No June numbers published yet by RRC
LostInLA07
AG
I have t seen it posted here yet but I heard Chevron recently announced elimination of 1500 employee positions over the next 3 months. Apparently this was based on $70 oil and there is likely to be another round of reductions based on $50 oil.

Has anyone else heard anything similar?
AgLA06
AG
quote:
I have t seen it posted here yet but I heard Chevron recently announced elimination of 1500 employee positions over the next 3 months. Apparently this was based on $70 oil and there is likely to be another round of reductions based on $50 oil.

Has anyone else heard anything similar?

They are a customer of ours and we were told that everyone we deal with on the deep water side would have to reapply for their jobs. Fun times considering we are in the middle of a quote and there has been much infighting regarding requirements and specs to justify jobs. We have no idea who we will be dealing with or which factions will win out.
thaed137
AG
I think his point was more along the lines that our government will continue on no matter the price of crude. Most of the OPEC governments are funded heavily form their oil and gas production. With such low prices, their governments will eventually collapse or proceed to unrest/war. The US will hurt to some degree but it will be somewhat isolated compared to those countries.
Post removed:
by user
nu awlins ag
AG
quote:
I think his point was more along the lines that our government will continue on no matter the price of crude. Most of the OPEC governments are funded heavily form their oil and gas production. With such low prices, their governments will eventually collapse or proceed to unrest/war. The US will hurt to some degree but it will be somewhat isolated compared to those countries.
Saudi is fine along with one or two others, but the rest you are correct on. They need oil revenue to run their budgets. I give it another 2-3 months and those other countries will be screaming uncle. Saudi is only after market share period. Their economy is not built around oil as are the others. I read a few pages back, India is huge in this as well. As they grow, so does their potential use. A billion in population will do that. Hopefully China can pull it together but only time will tell...
El Chupacabra
Maybe a 'what if' for another thread...what major player is the first to go under or get bought out?
LostInLA07
AG
BG
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
60+ landmen, including me, still working the courthouse in my little world.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
quote:
Saudi is fine along with one or two others, but the rest you are correct on. They need oil revenue to run their budgets. I give it another 2-3 months and those other countries will be screaming uncle. Saudi is only after market share period. Their economy is not built around oil as are the others. I read a few pages back, India is huge in this as well. As they grow, so does their potential use. A billion in population will do that. Hopefully China can pull it together but only time will tell...
China isn't pulling it together anytime soon. Their economy is a glass house between their ENORMOUS real estate bubble and their current central policies. Their population demographics are rapidly changing, and not for the good. You think our boomer generation is a problem as a drain of resources? Try a family-based culture that is soon to have over 4 or 5 non-contributing dependents per working age adult. Unlike the U.S., these individuals will all be living together under one small roof sharing energy and all depending on their one child and child's spouse to provide. Their population is also going to plateau and then begin decreasing once people start dying off again.

China's population explosion was due to a life expectancy increase of over 20 years in a decade or so - unlike anything the world has seen. While there will be increased urbanization driving increased energy demand, I don't see demand pushing upwards like would be needed to drastically effect prices.

I agree that many of the smaller OPEC member nations are definitely going to feel these prices, including Venezuela and notably, Iran. I think Saudi and a few others will be just fine. While lifting costs are slowly rising in the kingdom, Saudi still has the lowest op costs in the world (still single digits!) on top of a more diversified economy. They will be just fine and could outlast domestic producers if they needed to.

On another note, it is just a gut feeling, I personally believe that we are looking at summer 2016 to see $70 WTI again barring some major conflict or international event.
nu awlins ag
AG
Hope you are correct on $70 by next summer. According to Gary Ross, the production/supply numbers are being overstated so we will all see if that holds true.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
Hope you are correct on $70 by next summer. According to Gary Ross, the production/supply numbers are being overstated so we will all see if that holds true.
I think we will see it during the summer demand cycle, then will retreat back to the $60s as demand wanes and production rises a bit again due to prices. I am also factoring in that I think OPEC's smaller members will break before domestic producers will.

Then again, my predictions for this year in Jan/Feb had a couple blips into the 60s before settling in the high 50s-low 60s for EOY, which seems unlikely at this point. No one really knows unless they know OPEC's leanings.
Ornithopter
AG
I get that oil dependent countries are feeling a lot of pain, but what incentive do they have to cut production?

Or by break do you mean fall in to civil war after the government makes cuts?
beefisbest
Can someone tell me why the mlp's are getting hit so hard? I thought they were like a toll road and the price of oil did not matter. I own one that pays a nice dividend but is down 30% the past 12 months.
BiochemAg97
AG
quote:
Can someone tell me why the mlp's are getting hit so hard? I thought they were like a toll road and the price of oil did not matter. I own one that pays a nice dividend but is down 30% the past 12 months.
Drop in production should result in drop in tolls.
Goose06
AG
quote:
quote:
Drop in production should result in drop in tolls.

I would add 2 things:

1. Many take commodity risk through percent of proceeds contracts (or other contract forms)

2. Many of their stock prices were based on anticipated growth. Lots of mlp's have been promising multi year distribution growth exceeding 10% per year. For most, that's not going to be possible in this market so the yield has to go up...
pfo
AG
quote:

MLP's compete with the 10 year T Bond for yield. The prospect of rising interest rates has hurt MLP's and utilities (securities selected for yield with some capital appreciation). Also WITH the greater number of MLPs there is a concern they will bid against one another driving up the cost for future projects.

I lightened up my MLP exposure a few months ago but am holding the lions share. They provide wonderful tax deferred yields with capital appreciation and I am not convinced our weak economy could survive much of an interest rate rise.
Post removed:
by user
pfo
AG
My two largest positions (in my entire stock portfolio not just MLPs) are ETE and EPD. ETE is still too expensive to buy now. EPD is the one to buy.

As I recall ETP is the bottom of the food chain in that family. So you have:

The Founders Family
^
ETE
^
ETP

So ETP's dividend is subservient to the familiy's and ETE's dividend. But the bigger factor is ETE gets the lion's share of the dividend increases and it's dispersed over fewer shares. ETE has been a 7 bagger for me and I love it. But it's priced for perfection so I prefer EPD right now.

Dan Scott
AG
BP misses on earnings. says they will cut capex further to support the dividend
First Page Last Page
Page 124 of 819

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.