Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,272,286 Views | 28663 Replies | Last: 37 min ago by Dill-Ag13
ac04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
this is the best thread on texags. i learn a lot every single time i read it.
Dan Scott
AG
Crude breaks $48. The majors are getting crushed. People getting out before earnings next week. Whatever they report next week, you have to guess the following quarter will be worse with prices down so much to start 3rd Q.
Dan Scott
AG
XOM breaks $80.
Ragoo
AG
I feel like we've seen a significant drop in RFQs on the OEM side. Most of our work this year has been transmission and utilities.
aggie028
My guess is from the 659 rigs that are drilling. We were on a straight line up last year. Not sure how many rigs it takes to remain flat. Sure these wells decline quick but they also have very flat production around 70-100 BOPD for years.
nu awlins ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Until our oil production conclusively declines, I can't see the price moving up much - $60 is the obvious new top. Everyone thought the drop would have happened by now with the drop in rigs.

Companies like EOG who deferred completions will be forced to complete them at some point - I am curious how significant the number of deferred completions is amongst all companies. I bet we see a "surprise" bump in production come late January after falling for the head fake of drastically slower development late in the year when budgets really tighten up.

Where do you think the rise in production is coming from if no one is drilling?
I know EOG has built and are building storage facilities. As has been posted, the wells completed today are producing better than 10-15 years ago. There are few companies who will continue to drill/complete that our company does work for. Shell will be cutting loose a lot of people come November as the blood letting continues...
Dan Scott
AG
Rig counts up 21 over last week to 659, highest since May.
nu awlins ag
AG
July 17, 2015, total US land working rig count was 919, up from 902. Still this time last year we were standing at 1783.
MaysAggie2015
We don't have a recovery the oil until 2017. I know one large IB has it as q4 2026, and another q2 2017.

It'll be interesting to see the consolidation of that holds true. Bearish for the debt heavy E&P's that have already been hammered.
"It isn't return on principal that's important....it's return of principal."

Mark Twain
AggieOil
AG
Q4 2026...yikes how bad would that be?
MaysAggie2015
quote:
We don't have a recovery the oil until 2017. I know one large IB has it as q4 2016, and another q2 2017.

It'll be interesting to see the consolidation of that holds true. Bearish for the debt heavy E&P's that have already been hammered.

Edited to fix 2016
Ducks4brkfast
AG
So what is everyone's definition of "recovery?"

$65? $70? $80...?
Ridge14
quote:
quote:
We don't have a recovery the oil until 2017. I know one large IB has it as q4 2016, and another q2 2017.

Edited to fix 2016

aggie028
Don't think it is an oil price. I'd say it is when layoffs slowdown and companies have healthy budgets that are going to turn a reasonable ROR. $65-70 will work if service costs stay down. There was blood that needed to be shed and still is some. Dumb money still around.
El Chupacabra
quote:
quote:
Heard similar rumors today on COP. About 3-4k cuts, selling all exploration leases. Possibility of selling all deepwater assets.

Yikes

I went to work for COP in 2006. Went elsewhere at the split. Interviewed to go back with them (twice) for positions in their EF and Perniam non conventional. Both interviews they were somewhat arrogant in how much they paid, how much they spent, and generally how they didn't have cash constraints.

MANY of those people don't have jobs now, and many more won't soon. I would have been one of them.

Unfortunately, I kept all of my cop stock that was in my 401k. Sucks currently, but they'll recover in time. Hoping they at least maintain the dividend.
Cyp011
AG
Cop was bragging how much they paid people?
Stan Crowch
AG
COP paid/pays terrible....not sure what they would have been bragging about
treetop flyer
I'm an idiot investor but seems like it's time to go in hard with 5+ yr money.
tamuags08
AG
Man you are so right. Everyone I know that works there is really hoping for the 15/hr minimum wage hike so they can stop working those second and third jobs.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
Man you are so right. Everyone I know that works there is really hoping for the 15/hr minimum wage hike so they can stop working those second and third jobs.

Its all relative. Every segment of the industry has competitors that pay more or less than their peers. Just because the industry pays more than others doesn't mean all companies pay the same.
tremble
AG
quote:

Same here. What do the smart people on here think? Wait it out a little longer? I figure the impending consolidation will position the smart companies well for the long run.
TxAg20
AG
I don't think there's any hurry to jump in. The rollover in U.S. production is coming slower than I expected. Borrowing base redeterminations for a lot of the big companies are coming late in the year and I think we'll see another leg down in stocks at that time unless there are problems in the Middle East or something changes significantly in the supply/demand picture. I think stocks wil be higher 5 years from now, but I'd average in between now and the end of the year if you're looking at a 5+ year investment.
Cyp011
AG
More importantly. When will the Houston real estate market become a better value. I figure with this dip we will see further cuts from E&P all the way to oilfield manufacturing.

Let's say I can wait another 8-12 months before purchasing
Dan Scott
AG
Domestic production looks like it's been topping out. It's the demand side starting to look scary. Among the BRIC countries, only India is juggernaut.

An interesting observation I had while looking at the historical WTI chart and that is going back to 1981, the initial bottom on the monthly chart proves to be the bottom. It'll get tested but won't break. It happened in 1985, 1988, 1990 before the war, early 1991 after war, 1993, 2001, 2008, and now our initial bottom before starting to trade up was around 43.

The only time it didn't prove to be the bottom was 1998.

The other interesting thing is that historically oil has a correction every 2-3 years. The longer we go without one, the more violent the correction.

One a negative note or maybe positive, this current declined except for the fall after the Gulf War is the longest we've gone without price recovering at least to the 38% Finonacci level. The correction are usually short, this looks like a sustained period of prices on the low side but maybe that means the correction to the upside will be violent.

$33 is the ultimate low. I'd make a good size bet on that but low doesn't matter. It's how much longer are we going to be at these depressed prices. I think we're in the middle of it so if you want to buy a stock like XOM for long term below 80 go for it.

Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
More importantly. When will the Houston real estate market become a better value. I figure with this dip we will see further cuts from E&P all the way to oilfield manufacturing.

depends on where you want to buy. also, we're probably facing a full percentage point increase in interest rates this time next year.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
quote:

depends on where you want to buy. also, we're probably facing a full percentage point increase in interest rates this time next year.

They have already gone up quite a bit in the last 6 months. Sure the market will cool, but will it actually be any cheaper with interstate rates 2-3 points higher?

This is about a year old and thanks to Greece and other factors that forecast is looking low.

In may I got a rate around 3.6% for a 30 year mortgage and two weeks ago the same rate was 4.2%.
BiochemAg97
AG
Jobs continue to increase in Texas, with nearly every industry besides mining (IIRC, O&G is in the mining sector in the report) indicating gains. While to O&G boom carried us through the 2009 downturn, our other industries have continued to grow out as the economy has very slowly recovered. I think Houston even posted job gains in the last quarter. Texas economy is a bit more diversified than in the 80s.

All that said to suggest Houston housing market might not drop off just because E&P is getting hammered. There is still downstream and other industries in Houston that are employing people.
Cyp011
AG
I get that. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. E&P drives the Houston economy.

I'm not solving for a monthly payment. I'm solving for fair equity value.
pootiessock
quote:
I get that. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. E&P drives the Houston economy.

I'm not solving for a monthly payment. I'm solving for fair equity value.

Craigslist is your friend.
agdaddy04
AG
Are you paying cash? Because if not a point or two makes a huge difference.
ATM9000
AG
A point or 2 rate increase is more likely to depress and slow down the Houston housing market than oil prices at this point.
wessimo
AG
We could get both in the next 12 months, double whammy.
Cyp011
AG
Yes. I'm planning on paying a fairly sizable portion via cash. I'm also likely buying for a 5-7 year time horizon so more concerned on overpaying from an equity perspective vs getting clipped on interest rates.

El Chupacabra
emailed to me.

By
Jim Cramer

| Jul 24, 2015 |

We know that flailing hedge funds, chartists, the freaking strong dollar and China phobia are at the heart of why oil goes down every day. We know that there's a big fund on the wrong side of the trade that's being broken and, until it does, we might now catch a bottom.

But how about something that doesn't get talked about at all? How about the fundamentals of supply and demand? No, I am not talking about the Wednesday inventory numbers. I am not talking about the Baker Hughes rig count. I am not talking about the pundit class.

I am talking about someone who has been right all of the way.

I am talking about David Demshur, CEO of Core Labs (CLB), the company that makes sure you are drilling where there is oil, whether it be a new prospect or an old one where new technology can pull it out of the ground.

That's who knows.
He knew it was coming down. He knows core data and he knows what's really available in inventories and production and what's chimerical. No noise.

That's why his conference call yesterday was the single-best one I have heard on the topic. It's why I am just going to quote the darned thing, so you know what the smartest guy in the patch is saying.

Here he goes, with a slight annotation by me where he is abstruse.

"Core believes that worldwide crude oil supply and demand markets are well on their way to a balance at year end 2015. On the crude oil supply side, U.S. production peaked in April of this year." (In other words: the marginal producer of oil has finally slowed production four months after people thought it did.)

"One only needs to look at Bakken production, which peaked in December, and Eagle Ford production, which peaked earlier this year. With respect to decline curve rates of 70%, 40% and 20% for the first three years of production in these tight oil plays, significant year over year declines will manifest themselves as 2015 progresses. And into sharp declines if activity levels remain at constant levels into 2016. (Translated: these wells aren't all that deep and much of the oil is gone right in year one.)
"Ditto this analysis for the Permian Niobrara and all the liquids rich unconventional plays, from peak US oil production numbers earlier this year of 9.5 million barrels. Core believes that US production will decline over 500,000 barrels through year end 2015." (Meaning: There will be a 10.5 percent decline in production by year end and it will only get worse in 2016.)

Meanwhile, deep-water fields production, particularly from Petrobras (PBR) will be muted and additional production from both the Middle East -- which he admits is running full out -- and Russia cannot be maintained because if you pump as fast as they do you get too much water in the wells and that will cause permanent damage.

Now, where Core could be wrong is that Demshur relies on IEA figures showing that demand will increase 1.4 million barrels a day causing balancing of supply and demand by 2015.
In other words, the marginal barrels go away and the glut is gone by the end of the year.

If that's the case, obviously you would be buying now, six months ahead of when the market tightens, the typical discount rate I apply to these kinds of events because you want to be early, not late.

Now, again, if China falls off a cliff then its demand will decrease and he's wrong about the use of oil. But I do not think anyone in the world, except for maybe Andrew Gould, former CEO of Schlumberger, and Paul Kibsgaard, current CEO, know more than Demshur. They are the only ones that also have the worldwide supply picture in view.

Bottom line: short-term hedge funds, dollar, weekly numbers, charts and fears about China rule.

Intermediate term: Russia and the Middle East stop their insane pumping and the U.S. starts its way back to the old rate of supply. That's enough to make oil go higher no matter what the mechanics of the spot market dictate.
Ryan34
AG
quote:
quote:

Same here. What do the smart people on here think? Wait it out a little longer? I figure the impending consolidation will position the smart companies well for the long run.
This is relevant to my interests. I'll probably go with a fund like VGENX or something similar over individual stocks, but not sure whether to get in now or wait.
First Page Last Page
Page 123 of 819

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.