Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,274,300 Views | 28668 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by nu awlins ag
End Of Message
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102731560

OPEC happy to keep market oversupplied.
Cepe
AG
That's the reason for the drop today I suppose. . . .
Comeby!
AG
Denbury let 80 go yesterday. Didn't even give them 2 boxes and 2 mins. "We'll ship your stuff to you."
MemorialTXAg
quote:

U.S. Producers are free to cut production if they don't like the current oversupply.
Comeby!
AG
quote:
quote:

U.S. Producers are free to cut production if they don't like the current oversupply.
Oh hai! You must new to the industry.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
When Saudi Arabia launched a global oil-price war last year, most market players assumed America's high-cost, financially fragile shale producers would be first to retreat.

Some retreat. American companies have been quick to idle rigs and lay off workers, but U.S. onshore oil production has gone up since last fall, not down.

As oil ministers from member countries of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries meet this week, they are grappling with the fact that the world's new swing producer is a very different animal from their traditional competitors.

The industry is young enough that producers are still learning to cut costs, so the break-even price at which they can profitably produce keeps dropping, says Lars Eirik Nicolaisen of Rystad. By contrast, "the conventional onshore and offshore industry has seen complexity and break-even prices rise."

According to Goldman Sachs, the average rig in Texas' Eagle Ford shale now yields 5,000 barrels a day in its first year, compared with less than 2,000 in 2011. The firm thinks most shale-oil reserves are profitable to extract at $60 a barrel (roughly the current world price), $20 less than last year.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/opecs-problem-there-is-no-minister-of-shale-1433359876
Dan Scott
AG
Nice rally in the oil stocks. I guess people were thinking oil was going to the 40s after the meeting and sold stock and now think we've already bottomed.

OPEC says demand is coming back and that's offsetting some increase in production. Iran says if they come back online it won't hurt the price.

Looks like we don't see $100 oil for at least another year unless things get crazy.

5C
AG
I don't think we'll see 100 dollar oil again for the next 4 or 5 years minimum - at least not for any significant length of time.
Dan Scott
AG
It still makes no sense to me. I think they are still overvalued. If you have negative cashflow at 80 or 100 oil, it's even worse at 60. If you cut capex then you're not growing.
The Original AG 76
AG
I still think that the worst is yet to come.. Mainly for manufacturers like me. The huge cuts by the big guys (80% of our customers) is just now showing up. We are strictly offshore equipment and damn near nothing we do has a delivery of less than 18 months, most are 2-5 year projects. I'm still working shops overtime and am spot hiring BUT the phones....... They don't be a ringing no more!! Our goes outa is working full time but the goes inta is absolutely DEAD. I'm afraid that the large Houston manufacturers will start the blood letting this fall. Manufacturing blood lettings are particularly vicious since it's a lot of lower wage hourly guys and we don't even know what the word severance means....
Talon2DSO
AG
I don't think we see $100 oil for a while. The trend is toward efficiency on the demand side. Need refineries to become the bottleneck again so prices can bump
aggie028
I need to see our production plateau for a while before I even think of $70 oil.

$60 oil with current service costs will keep the better areas drilling - hence the reason rigs aren't dropping like they were initially. That's the issue - oil companies with good rocks will take quite a while to bleed out with the current conditions. So... all those growth projections in the investor presentations are likely to happen for the large independents.....when production plateaus is hard to pick. I don't see why oil would take off unless demand surprises us, OPEC does something, or a war starts.
Comeby!
AG
I'm not sure the demand will change considerably in the U.S. in the short term. The issue I see is that our refineries are not equipped to handle our shale supplies. I see Brent and WTI having two different fundamental supply/demand curves. They current track well, but I don't see that lasting very long. Different drivers.
itsyourboypookie
It's a buyers market. Invest in some light plants, trash trailers, pressure washing equipment, and heavy equipment @ .20 cents on the dollar. Wait two years and put it all back to work.
tommyjohn
Anyone working on Bigfoot? What a cluster****. I cannot imagine the hours the project and installation team are putting in right now. Also screwing up Heidelberg install.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
Anyone working on Bigfoot? What a cluster****. I cannot imagine the hours the project and installation team are putting in right now. Also screwing up Heidelberg install.
What is happening with Bigfoot ? I'm hearing some rumblings from our sales guys that we are about to get a lot of Bigfoot work shoved out BIG...Any intel ?
Southside AG
AG
Loop currents caused issues for the tendons and the support bouys lost flotation.

http://blog.skytruth.org/2015/06/bigfoot-suffers-damaged-tendons.html?m=1
bkag9824
AG
Surprised it took so long for somebody to post about Bigfoot.
LostInLA07
AG
That project is cursed
Ag2012
AG
Oil up 3% yesterday and another 2% early today
End Of Message
AG
Saudis claim that maintaining current output is in response to increased demand. Market may have bought into their claim.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102745034
Ag2012
AG
EIA forecasting a US output drop into mid 2016 may be helping our case too.
xMusashix
AG
quote:
Loop currents caused issues for the tendons and the support bouys lost flotation.

http://blog.skytruth.org/2015/06/bigfoot-suffers-damaged-tendons.html?m=1

Is CVX actually claiming loop currents as the cause for this? I could understand delays to installation but loss of buoyancy seems excessive
itsyourboypookie
Got called by a recruiter from London. Said Saudi would like to pick up 200 more rigs.
Ag2012
AG
I hear Riyadh is lovely this time of year
TxAg20
AG
quote:
Got called by a recruiter from London. Said Saudi would like to pick up 200 more rigs.

That would be impressive considering their all time high rig count as of March 2015 was ~130.
Comeby!
AG
I've been courted by Saudi and China for some significant positions in the last week. The offered positions seemed to be very key but somewhat hamstrung due to their culture and politics.
itsyourboypookie
quote:
quote:

That would be impressive considering their all time high rig count as of March 2015 was ~130.

Maybe he meant 200 total. I know a lot of guys going over. Looks like they are increasing their swing capacity.
Natasha Romanoff
They also aren't able to increase production as easily as they once did if I remember correctly. Obviously they don't need to drill as much as shale producers to increase output, but they still need to drill more than they used to.
Cepe
AG
Yes, the analysis is that they are having to drill flat out just to stave off decline.
Dan Scott
AG
Interesting short documentary on Chevron from Bloomberg if you're interested

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-06-11/inside-chevron-bloomberg-special-report-06-11-
Dan Scott
AG
CVX approaching 100, this has been bounce territory.
Ag2012
AG
IEA Report Suggests Global Oil Demand May Creep Up on Production:
quote:
Analysts at Simmons Energy Research in Houston said the demand numbers reflect a "heroic revision" to the first quarter. And while the EIA said a normalization of decreasing demand is likely by the end of the year, Simmons said in a report to investors that, "This strikes us as excessively cautious as we are seeing very little, if any, evidence of demand moderation."
quote:
What's more, a projected 1.6 MMbpd in 4Q and 1.2 MMbpd in 1Q 2015 worth of "missing barrels" (the difference between actual OECD inventory change and the implied inventory change from supply and demand numbers), suggests the "recent demand is understated, supply is overstated, or a combination of both." In short, TPH said the market's oversupply as measured by OECD inventories at the beginning of 2015 could be about 700,000 barrels per day, significantly less than the 1.9 MMbpd implied by global supply and demand figures.
BiochemAg97
AG
Not surprising. OPEC, EIA, etc were all predicting relatively flat demand going into this year. I have seen others predicting that demand would increase based on the lower price. OECD numbers appear to back up the increased demand that OPEC, EIA, etc didn't want to admit was going to happen when they were predicting oversupply. In fact, from what I read, the Q1 actual demand in the US should have essentially eliminated the predicted oversupply, even without the supply drop that will eventually work its way in due to the reduced drilling activity in US shale, not to mention the drop in supply from Canada oil sands.
Comeby!
AG
So you're saying I should get that Porsche I've been eyeing?
First Page Last Page
Page 112 of 820

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.