Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,254,368 Views | 28622 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TheVarian
MaysAggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not necessarily true. Payout ratio, future growth expectations, etc. ROFL.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
The bond and 2nd lien market dried up. Not much capital our there unless you're PE.

All true.
Maroon Elephant
AG
Schlumberger laying off 9000. This could be ominous news for the industry. They're a more global player than any other service company. I'm surprised at such a scorched earth layoff this early in the downturn.
MAROON
AG
quote:
Schlumberger laying off 9000. This could be ominous news for the industry. They're a more global player than any other service company. I'm surprised at such a scorched earth layoff this early in the downturn.
Still less than 10% of their workforce. In the boom times, these firms get overstaffed. SLB is probably the best managed company in the OFS business. The others at some point will follow suit.

However, I'm as big a capitalist as the next guy, but announcing a dividend increase the same day you layoff 9000 is a little much even for me. As a shareholder I would rather the company conserve cash to survive the downturn (which we don't know if it will last 6,12, 24 months).
Comeby!
AG
That just means they're playing hardball and want to send a strong message to the market. Full disclosure: former blue employee.
EngrOG
quote:
Apache laid off 30 engineers in Midland and 40 in Tulsa today. Painful to watch, and likely only the beginning of what we'll see in the industry.
Was a certain person by the initials of TT one of them by any chance?
Ragoo
AG
quote:

How many of these were field hands they are paying hotel nights for, daily meal stipend, etc? Have to reduce SG&A somehow.
Otto 08
AG
EngrOG,

Are you in Midland? If so, I think we may work for the same company.
kag00
AG
Anyone know if the layoffs are concentrated in the field, Houston corporate, or otherwise? I have not seen any information on that yet.
LostInLA07
AG
I'm guessing the initial wave will be concentrated in the field. Corp jobs in Houston, OKC, etc will follow.
bkag9824
AG
Friends husband works for SLB here in Houston, and he let 2 people go earlier this week. Don't know what dept. but they're not engineers (technicians of some sort I believe).

He was told to keep his short list updated as they will likely have a second round of layoffs in 2-4 months if conditions don't improve. Obvious statement is obvious, but it was implied that more cuts will be headed towards his group in the near future.
RockTechie
AG
Im a pm for a pipeline company. In 2007, we were able to build a lot of new assets at a fraction of the cost because every vendor and contractor was desperate. Starting to see it again. Union contractors begging for work. That's when you know it's bad. A lot of financially sound companies are going to come out of this downturn really well.
Gig-Em2003
AG
A little humor in these turbulent times (from TPH Friday Humor):

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2014/12-overflow/20141224_HYEP.jpg
TKEAg04
AG
I have my entire floor singing that song now...
AZAggie44
AG
What's everyone's opinion on when we'll see the bottoming out of oil prices? It looks like there was a mini-rally today in the stock market. Not sure what to make of it.

For those who do invest regularly, what are you doing to mitigate your losses while oil and gas are so far down? Obviously diversification is good, but what sort of industries do you feel are performing well right now?
Scimitar
AG
quote:
I have my entire floor singing that song now...

our trading floor too
BiochemAg97
AG
I read an analysis this week that had an interesting take. They attributed the bump we had the other day to options day (moving from Feb to March options) and also attributed a 20-25% lower price to paper speculation, which they felt was abnormal. They attributed a about a 16% increase in price to paper speculation back when it was breaking $100 a while back. I think this calculation is based on the ratio of short/long options and the volume of paper barrels vs wet barrels, but they didn't make it clear how they came up with that number.

That seems like a lot and seems like we should revert to the mean soon, but what do I know.

LostInLA07
AG
quote:

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2014/12-overflow/20141224_HYEP.jpg
Ulrich
quote:

I saw that this morning.
Aggie1391
quote:

HAHA my office loves this. It's stuck in everyone head now.
sts7049
AG
i'm going to print this and put it on the wall
Saltwater Assassin
AG
Ragoo
AG
who are you with?
David Carr
Lasalle Investment has backed out of preliminary deal to buy 1000 Main downtown for estimated $450mil.
Zemira
AG
quote:
Lasalle Investment has backed out of preliminary deal to buy 1000 Main downtown for estimated $450mil.

Yikes!
LostInLA07
AG
They have a backup offer for $10MM less so they'll probably still get a deal done. I think the backup offer is still the highest price per SF ever paid for office space in Houston.
Zemira
AG
I remember about the deal being at a fairly high price, I just didn't realize how high
Saltwater Assassin
AG

Cepe
AG
http://oilprice.com/Energy/Oil-Prices/Be-Prepared-For-An-Oil-Price-Spike.html
EngrOG
quote:
EngrOG,

Yep. Shoot me an email texagsmember at gmail
Otto 08
AG
quote:
quote:
EngrOG,

Yep. Shoot me an email texagsmember at gmail
You have mail.
RockTechie
AG
I'm betting the Hilton garden inn in Odessa is no longer 320 per night.
Comeby!
AG
Word is the 9000 SLB is letting go hasn't been notified yet... Talk about a long weekend or 2.
LostInLA07
AG
quote:
Word is the 9000 SLB is letting go hasn't been notified yet... Talk about a long weekend or 2.

Any idea on where these layoffs will be. Mostly North America?
IrishTxAggie
AG
I was in Gonzales this week. RV camps are looking a lot emptier from my last time there at the end of November. Fewer people at the usual bar hangouts. And a lack of the blue coveralls usually running around.
First Page Last Page
Page 44 of 818

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.