Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Houston..we have a problem....

7,254,600 Views | 28622 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by TheVarian
claym711
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone say technical analysis is worthless? Only if you're bad at it.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
Someone say technical analysis is worthless? Only if you're bad at it.
Just asking anyone to demonstrate that they have consistently realized above-market returns using it. That's all.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
There's a thread titled "Stock Markets" that hasn't fallen off the first page since oldarmy1 started it. I would encourage you to read his posts and come back and say you can't make money consistently using technical analysis
Buck Compton
AG
I've read it. Don't be condescending.

Please document it over years. It's been tested and studied and studied and studied.
toastercombo
Wiggletrace
AG
quote:
There's a thread titled "Stock Markets" that hasn't fallen off the first page since oldarmy1 started it. I would encourage you to read his posts and come back and say you can't make money consistently using technical analysis

Bingo. I've made a boatload just being a silent observer on that thread. OA knows his stuff.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Thank you. I know for a fact that OA1 has been killing it over there. Pretty unreal actually.
Post removed:
by user
Gator2_01
AG
He posts his reasons for entering and exiting trades along with how he combines stock and options purchases to maximize returns. There's no reason not to review that thread in its entirety even now.
Ragoo
AG
Let's keep the trading talk to the stock markets thread and the O&G sector specific talk here.

Thanks
pootiessock
Kuwait is hiring for offshore. Received an email from a recruiter
Westi
AG
FWIW, Halliburton is planning for 2017 to be a big year. Starting 2 new frac crews to handle the workload. I'm not sure I see it, but hey, they know a lot more than me.
Cyp011
AG
Hal has proven to not get it.
nu awlins ag
AG
quote:
FWIW, Halliburton is planning for 2017 to be a big year. Starting 2 new frac crews to handle the workload. I'm not sure I see it, but hey, they know a lot more than me.
2? Only 2? That won't even scratch the surface. They recently laid off 5000 so only time will tell. My friends there are not all that high on the coming year....
GEA89
AG
Funny if you walk out into the industry you get the feel that many companies, some examples posted here, are planning for a comeback very soon. Yet the price of oil continues to suck. What to make of it all?
Dr. Doctor
AG
My only thought is more people are planning on leaving and they are hoping to beat the others to the rush to hire the replacements.

My dad is finally leaving an IOC, after taking a voluntary retirement (he's well past others for retirement). I know of a few others in his age group finally leaving/retiring. I can only hope that the managers see that with the markets up, people's 401(k)s are finally better looking and can punch the ticket out. And those leaving (maybe too many leaving) means they have to hire to replace them.

That's my hope, at least.

~egon
Ag CPA
AG
WTI could be back in the 30's this week, unreal.

Now that most of the short-term disruptions from earlier in the year have gone away, Nigerian rebels, Canada fires, Libya, Kuwaiti strikes, etc., it feels like we are right back where we were a year ago. OPEC producing at record levels, a glut in refined products, additional rigs being deployed to help maintain US production. It's just hard to see the situation improving significantly any time soon.
PeekingDuck
AG
My take is that those companies expecting a quick run up are delusional.

We're (COP) letting go of 1k soon, with the vast majority in L48 & Canada.
Vernada
AG
quote:

My guess is that we are at least two years away from anything meaningful happening.
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
quote:

My guess is that we are at least two years away from anything meaningful happening.
Yea, I imagine it is prudent to have "plans" in place so you can react quickly if things go well, but those plans aren't set in stone.
toastercombo

Dan Scott
AG
Big Oil getting crushed. Look at XOM. They eared only .41/share in the Q2. Expectiations were .64. In Q3 the early number is .83.

Refining margins and commodity prices were much higher in Q2 than Q1 and it was still worse. How does anyone expect them to double their earnings in Q3 when we're already seeing refining margins getting wacked and crude trading at 3 months low. Estimated have to come down and that's going to drive the stock price back to the $70s.
Dan Scott
AG
All these oil companies under $50 oil are just junk. There's a lot better place to be if you really want a 3-4% dividend.
toastercombo
jetch17
AG
Anyone attending the UrTEC conference in San Antonio this week
Ulrich
It seems like several companies have missed earnings due to unusually large negative one-time write downs/true ups this quarter. I wonder if they are using low crude and tightened spreads as cover to clean everything up... or maybe they just aren't doing as much actual work so the accountants have too much time on their hands.
klsmith89
AG
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/31/texas-shale-oil-has-fought-saudi-arabia-to-a-standstill/

Very interesting read
Westi
AG
quote:
quote:
2? Only 2? That won't even scratch the surface. They recently laid off 5000 so only time will tell. My friends there are not all that high on the coming year....
I should clarify, that's 2 frac crews only in San Antonio. Halliburton is hiring throughout the southern U.S. It was 5000 globally with the majority being outside the U.S. I know both San Antonio and Odessa are hiring a lot right now. I see 2017 being better, but not as good as some seem to believe.
tamuags08
AG
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/07/29/exclusive-bp-puts-entire-energy-corridor-building.html
OCEN99
AG
quote:
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/07/29/exclusive-bp-puts-entire-energy-corridor-building.html
Hah, I remember when I started at McDermott way back in 2000, they were leasing the top 4 floors of that building.
canadianAg
AG
This has been known for about 6-9 months atleast but not really in the press until today for some reason.
Spaceship
AG
quote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/31/texas-shale-oil-has-fought-saudi-arabia-to-a-standstill/

Very interesting read

Interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing. Would love to see that pain for the Saudi's speed up so that hopefully higher oil prices become more attractive for them.
techno-ag
AG
quote:

Very interesting read
haha gif.
PeekingDuck
AG
Texas
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 358 of 818

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.