Business & Investing
Sponsored by

AMNF

28,121 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by BT1395
SMG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I would be buying for the dividend and long term growth.
I bleed maroon
AG
So, a change in CEO and coronavirus aside, what's going on with this stock? It was a steady and solid performer for so long, and now it's underperforming the industry and the market overall. Any insights?
blazer18
Am curious about this as well. Thought it would be outperforming given the industry.
BT1395
AG
I bleed maroon said:

So, a change in CEO and coronavirus aside, what's going on with this stock? It was a steady and solid performer for so long, and now it's underperforming the industry and the market overall. Any insights?
My best thoughts here are that it is exactly these two things. People had a LOT of confidence in Pera's steady, disciplined, conservative leadership over the last 10 years and not sure many replacements (even if they are good) can deliver that on the same level. The reality is that you don't have to be a clone of Pera to still do well in that chair, but I think the uncertainty was/is part of the story here. Other thing that hit harder was the Asian exposure and the fact that their consumption was hit earlier than the rest of the planet, so sales took a bit of a hit earlier than the NAmerican sales would/did. Asia isn't so much of their sales that it explains this big of a drop though.

I'm still on board and don't see anything (outside of the hit that everyone is taking from Corona) that derails this steady, consistent growth with solid dividend yield.
bigtruckguy3500
I bought in a few years ago at less than 90 cents thanks to this thread. Thinking about upping my shares. Not sure when things will rebound with this stock, but I'm pretty confident it will.
Ogre09
AG
How are we feeling about this one now?
I bleed maroon
AG
Ogre09 said:

How are we feeling about this one now?
I hold some in both an after-tax and an IRA account. I'd like to hear from BT what he thinks, as well. Given the current 4.7% dividend yield, I'm inclined to ride it out, if the fundamentals haven't materially changed. It has been quite a solid and steady performer for several years for me.
bigtruckguy3500
Do y'all's dividends from this company get reinvested? I have that option selected in my etrade account, but I just noticed for the past year all dividends have been paid as cash. Wonder if it's an etrade issue or what.

Also, as usual, wish I bought more shares when I added last April and July.
BT1395
AG
Resurrecting this thread for my fellow long-term holders here...

Recent dividend hike puts this at just over $0.13 per share on an annual basis (roughly 3.5% yield). Earnings are solid as crap and cost controls going well. My yield on original cost is now over 20% and the total dividends received have delivered 150% of my original investment...and then there's the price appreciation.

Continues to be a solid hold from my perspective. Always interested to hear others' thoughts on this one...
Jeff99
I still hold the shares.

I wish I could have bought more a couple of years ago, but my employer at the time made that impossible.

I like the company. My Yield on Cost is astronomical at this point and the tax bill I'd have to pay if I sold my shares would be onerous.

I am concerned from looking at the financials that they are growing the top line considerably, but I'm not seeing it filtering through to bottom line Net Income. It tells me that they're having to work harder to improve sales incrementally.

I have hoped the company would eventually be bought by a larger player, but for now I'm just holding my shares and collecting my dividend.
I bleed maroon
AG
Update to my last post almost 3 years ago: A year or two ago, I sold the IRA shares (4-5 times bigger than my after-tax holdings) for diversification purposes. I know this sounds backwards (I should have kept the IRA shares, as it's a good dividend play), but I didn't want to realize the capital gain.

I still have my initial after-tax shares bought in 2013, and have a capital gain of 240% at this point. Due to moving the stock around between accounts, I have no history since 2021 on cumulative dividends paid, but I am not complaining. Their dividend paying track record could be the envy of a much larger company.

A nice stock that I'm inclined to hold.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Would you be inclined to pick up a position at these levels? I see they're trading at a PE of around 18 or so. Looking at their financials, they appear to have very little debt given their assets. I've got some capital sitting on the sidelines I'm looking to put into something. Not willing to make a large investment in this, but maybe a 100 shares or so?
Jeff99
It's tricky. I love the stock, but I've been holding it for years. (I think my cost/share is about $0.70.)

I like the dividend and stability of the company. The problem is that given where it's traded, it is not an easy stock to trade in and out of. Trading volumes are generally pretty low. So, be aware of that before taking a position.
BT1395
AG
Agreed with Jeff's comments above. This isn't going to fund your retirement, but it's been a great little company to own and hold (and collect income from) for quite a while now. Just hit $3.95 - maybe a bit overbought at the moment, but the overall thesis is still intact in my opinion.

As always, do your own due diligence and all that stuff...good luck!
BT1395
AG
$4.00!
BT1395
AG
…and now we know why they recently hiked the dividend. Blowout quarter with record top and bottom lines. Steady management but they sound optimistic. Stock back at $4.00.
Jeff99
Dividend raises for AMNF have generally been a way of foreshadowing positive quarters (as well they should be). The problem is the thin transaction volume makes it difficult to take advantage.
I bleed maroon
AG
Jeff99 said:

Dividend raises for AMNF have generally been a way of foreshadowing positive quarters (as well they should be). The problem is the thin transaction volume makes it difficult to take advantage.

Similar issue, here. On 4/30, I will have held AMNF for 10 years. I am up 267%, and have enjoyed the 3-4% dividend yield, as well. After a run-up like the past few weeks, I would typically write covered calls on a holding with these characteristics, but they don't offer options on this low-volume stock. That's the only thing I'd change about this investment.
Jeff99
And of course, now it's jumped to $4.20.
BT1395
AG
Another quarter of record sales and profits. Haven't dug too deep into the financials but it looks like margins are improving as a result of their efficiency projects. Growing sales and margins = blue diamond emoji!

Stock at $4.42 as I type this.
I bleed maroon
AG
AMNF - The "little engine that could" keeps chugging along! Love this stock (and company).
BT1395
AG
Stock at $4.60. Dividend pays tomorrow.

Keep on running, little guy!!!
BT1395
AG
$4.70
bigtruckguy3500
BT1395
AG
$5.23 today out of nowhere! What am I missing? Earnings leak or something?
I bleed maroon
AG
BT1395 said:

$5.23 today out of nowhere! What am I missing? Earnings leak or something?
Back down to $5.02 today. I think that was just a trading anomaly. It's thinly traded, so it's possible someone placed a market order and got stuck with it at $5.23.

But, let's celebrate it clearing the $5.00 bar!
I bleed maroon
AG
Well, it seems someone liked their earnings report - - up over 13% this morning to $5.50! Even at this price, the dividend is still almost 3%.
BT1395
AG
Record earnings again - fantastic little company! Sounds like some of this Q's earnings were pulled forward from next Q, but growth trajectory is very much still in tact.

Stock closed today at $5.36. Love this thing!
Nagler
AG
Love this one, I've had it for awhile. Wish I could set it up in DRIP.
I bleed maroon
AG
Nagler said:

Love this one, I've had it for awhile. Wish I could set it up in DRIP.
If you're talking about simply reinvesting dividends as they're paid, most brokerages will do that for you - - I know Schwab offers it on any holding in your portfolio (just check "reinvest dividends" when placing a trade).

Another alternative is to set up an automatic investment (i.e. $50/month, 3% annually, or any other amount and timing combo). I believe pretty much all major brokerage firms will accommodate this, and you can make it approximate a DRIP.

If your broker doesn't offer this, you may want to check around.
Nagler
AG
AMNF isn't eliglibe for DRIP. Neither TB Ameritrade or now Schwab will do it. I've got the everything else set up with it.

I know I could go do it myself every time they pay a dividend but I'm lazy and don't do that.
I bleed maroon
AG
Nagler said:

AMNF isn't eliglibe for DRIP. Neither TB Ameritrade or now Schwab will do it. I've got the everything else set up with it.

I know I could go do it myself every time they pay a dividend but I'm lazy and don't do that.
Wow! You're right - I just tried it! I haven't really seen too many trades where they don't offer it. I guess the trouble is with thinly traded or low-priced stocks?

I have heard that Robinhood or that type of broker will do this, but I am not their customer.
bigtruckguy3500
Yeah, it stopped several years ago unfortunately. I've added small positions here and there, but etrade charges a commission since it's OTC. So don't do it often.

Would've been nice to have gotten a bunch more shares instead of cash over the past few years though.
BT1395
AG
$5.73 closing price today
Nagler
AG
It's sure jumping up a lot recently. Something going on?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.