Zihuatanejo?

1,540 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by 97
bcday07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
anybody ever been there? and if so, please tell me about it.

my fiance and i are thinking about honeymooning there.
schmendeler
AG
some people i know have been there. they liked it.
tman2
AG
I went there, but it was several years ago. We actually stayed in Ixtapa, but went to Zihuatanejo for dinner several evenings and we snorkeled there. I wonder why we stayed in Ixtapa at all since we spent most of our time in Zihuatenejo. It seemed very old Mexico to me. I feel like we really experienced the culture, but there was not a lot of "night life". Very quiet and slow paced, but we had a great time.
bcday07
thats exactly what we are looking for. slow and more authentic. i am not looking to go to cancun or anyplace like it.
bcday07
can you find excursions in Zihuatanejo?

we were hoping to do something like a canopy tour, or a jeep tour, or touring some ancient ruins, or atv tour, etc, etc. you get the picture.
Twix
AG
why aren't you looking after my dog?!

http://www.zihuatanejo-rentals.com/toursdoc.htm

It's kind of a crappy layout, but this might be helpful. After doing a search, it looks like a lot of the outings are arranged for those on a cruise.
bcday07
thanks for that link

i am not bcday. he left himself logged in on our work computer. i am lgaggie.
LGAggie
AG
i am the one who wants to know about Zihuatanejo. sorry for the confusion.
Twix
AG
Got it! He's a vet tech where we take our dog and our pup really likes B! I just wanted to give him a hard time because he already told me he wouldn't be at the clinic today.

Good luck on the honeymoon planning. We went to Disney, so I can't be of much help.
LGAggie
AG
thanks, and please, give him all the hard time he can handle.
Goldie Wilson
quote:
Little place right on the Pacific. You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific? They say it has no memory. That's where I'd like to finish out my life, Red. A warm place with no memory. Open a little hotel right on the beach. Buy some worthless old boat and fix it up like new. Take my guests out charter fishing.
Potcake
AG

I think Samantha Brown (Travel Channel) had a recent Latin America episode in the Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo area.
Cooter00
I honeymooned in Zihua at a very small hotel. If you are really looking for a quiet getaway it's a great place. If you need a little bit of entertainment, you might get bored.

I'm sure you can find excursions. Worst case, head over to ixtapa. Much more touristy = more excursion companies.

Did you have some resorts/hotels in mind?
Old School Brother
AG
can't you just ask red and andy dufresne?
Potcake
AG
Are you set on the Ixtapa/Zihua area? If not, you might want to check out Huatulco further down the coast in Oaxaca. We've been there twice and really like it.
Goldie Wilson
jedi, i beat you on the obligatory shawshank reference

HA!!!

i'm sad, i know....
Old School Brother
AG
sorry Dan, didn't read closely enough to see your post....well played.
BMX Bandit
Got engaged in Zihua. Awesome. Going back for 1 yr anniversary in November.

Especially if you are looking for non-touristy spot. Unlike other Mexico resort city, english is not spoken regularly and the dollar is not the preferred currency.

I stayed at La Casa Que Canta. incredible hotel, service & food. Buddy of mine stayed at Brisas and said it was great.

You absolutely must go to a restaurant called La Cala when the sun is still up. the water comes right up tableside into a little cove.

highly recommend going there. You can always go to Ixtapa (about a $10 cab ride) if you want to go clubbing or something.

[This message has been edited by BMX Bandit (edited 10/20/2007 10:34a).]
schmendeler
AG
bmx, is that an all inclusive?

tell me more about that one, sounds nice...
BMX Bandit
http://www.lacasaquecanta.com

not all inclusive, but I think you can add meals to your package.
schmendeler
AG
the house of song? is that right? or the house of singing?
schmendeler
AG
looks very nice, but also looks like you pay for it!
BMX Bandit
the house that sings.

it was expensive, but worth it. i think we saw 10 other people the entire time we were there.
schmendeler
AG
probably because no one can afford it.
hombre
Went to Hotel Villa Del Sol for the honeymoon. One of the best places to stay. I picked it over cas que la canta because of the beach access.

Quite area and perfect for relaxing. Top notch service.

Actually planning a trip back at during Dec.

http://www.tideszihuatanejo.com/
BMX Bandit
i will say that its an easy walk to Playa del Ropa from casa que canta, but the walk back is kinda of a pain as you are going up a steep hill
Cooter00
Went to VDS for dinner one night. It was very nice. That's gonna be your high-end tourist hotel on the beach. Had a friend that stayed there last year around New Years and harrison ford was eating dinner at the table next to him.

If you want value and really don't mind a small secluded hotel, check out hotel casa don francisco. Its at the end of the beach up a small hill. Easy access to beach and restuarants/hotels along the beach. Private infinity pools on each balcony.

I might have picked VDS if I had to do it again only b/c we needed a little more interaction with other tourists. There was only 1 other couple at our hotel while we were there. Combine that with having to find a restaurant each night (where English is not widely spoken) and it was just a little too adventuresome for us. I've since learned that about a 100 room resort with dining options is more my speed.
LGAggie
AG
thanks for all the help guys.

i do have a hotel picked out, but thanks for the suggestion further south.

www.hotelcincosentidos.com is where we are going. we looked at several places like this, and this one was by far the cheapest, and the reviews on tripadvisor are fantastic. i wanted to ask texags about it, but i didnt want any of yall to steal my date, so i went ahead and booked.

thanks again.
BMX Bandit
you will not be disappointed.

In addition to La Cala (other side of bay), Kau-Kan and casa que canta are great restaurants close to that hotel.

for lunch, try "Tamales y Atole Any" in town. you and your wife can eat and drink for under $10 and be full & buzzed.
schmendeler
AG
now that sounds good.
dcAg
Say hi to Red and Andy if you go.
Steamboatbum
I've spent a couple of months in and around Zihua...great freaking place. Make sure you go to playa los gatos on the far end...it's the best place to blaze a fat spliff.
LGAggie
AG
well, if blazing a fat whatever is what i think it is, the fiance will not be having any of that.

thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions, and if anyone has anymore i'd be glad to hear them.

oh, and i will tell andy and red hello from everyone on the texags travel forum.
AG
Been there 3 times for work and I liked it. Not as populated/Americanized as Cancun but still has a few bars and clubs around. I even went once during "Spring Break" and the place seemed dead, not a lot of crazy kids running around.

However, I'm a ruins type of guy so I like the Yucatan peninsula better than the Pacific coast of Mexico.

"Aggies don't lie, cheat, or steal, nor do they tolerate those who do!" - Aggie Code of Honor
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.