Disney World in Late December

5,469 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TyHolden
lil99chris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The week of Thanksgiving will be an 8 out of 10. The week after drops off to a 5 out of 10,
tsuag10
AG
Next question: What is it like the first week of January? Is it still really busy, or are most people back to work/school?
lil99chris
AG
Crowds really don't die down until after January 8th.

Feel free to reach out to me and I will be happy to assist.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Late to the party, but Christmas in Disney is awesome.

It's busy, but these days any time the kids are out of school that's not dead of summer is busy.

The jungle cruise during Christmas is really fun.
Joan Wilder
AG
Mid-week, the week after thanksgiving is a great time of year - lower crowds and all the holiday atmosphere. The DHS and Jingle Cruise Christmas music playlists are a vibe.
imjustsayin
AG
I used to work there and can confirm that pretty much around the holidays… if the kids are out of school expect VERY high crowds. If you haven't been in 10 years, and your kids are as young as they are… just play hookie and take the kids out of school and treat your family to a great Disney experience NOT during one of their peak times. Otherwise, you'll just find yourself frustrated with how much you are spending and how little you are getting.

As a fan of Disney, I hope you choose well. The only people I would say peak times are fine, are those that go all the time and don't care if they get to ride much of anything and are only there for the "unique" stuff during those times.
fka ftc
imjustsayin said:

I used to work there and can confirm that pretty much around the holidays… if the kids are out of school expect VERY high crowds. If you haven't been in 10 years, and your kids are as young as they are… just play hookie and take the kids out of school and treat your family to a great Disney experience NOT during one of their peak times. Otherwise, you'll just find yourself frustrated with how much you are spending and how little you are getting.

As a fan of Disney, I hope you choose well. The only people I would say peak times are fine, are those that go all the time and don't care if they get to ride much of anything and are only there for the "unique" stuff during those times.
This times 1000! Just take the kids out. Life is short, memories are forever and better memories do not involve crowds and waiting in line.

We have taken our 7th grader out of school 4 times now to go to Disney during a lower crowd week. Teachers have all the work ready to go and he usually gets in done on the flight and a couple of breaks at the hotel. With iPads and remote access to assignments, we never miss a beat, assignment or grade.

I just gushed over lil99chris in the other Disney thread, but they do a great job if you do not want to hassle with all the planning.
oldschool87
AG

tsuag10
AG
Not goaltending for Disney, but it was a joke in the show. I'm also not condoning some of the decisions they have made on other shows. Here is probably not the place for discussion on this specific subject.
Ogre09
AG
oldschool87 said:

Take it to F16
atmtws
AG
So the week of Jan 2-Jan 6 is not recommended either?
High Functioning Moron
We did DisneyWorld the week of Thanksgiving and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I hadn't been since I was in 2nd grade, so I have no frame of reference for crowds. It would have majorly sucked if we hadn't used Genie +.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
atmtws said:

So the week of Jan 2-Jan 6 is not recommended either?

If school is out, Disney is crazy.
atmtws
AG
RV and Colorado it is!
TMfrisco
AG
1st week of February is perfect
lil99chris
AG
Outside of a few weeks of the year, DisneyWorld is going to be busy. If you have the ability to travel when kids are in school, the crowds will be lighter and pricing is usually better. If you can go during the week, you will also often get better crowds/pricing.

Splash Mountain shuts down on 1/23/23. There will likely be a ride or two that are down for refurbishment during that time.

Pick a time of year where you are comfortable with the weather and check to see if there is an Epcot festival or celebration you are interested in visiting.

If you stay at a Deluxe resort, there are days a park is open later and you can knock out many rides.

Reach out to me for your Disney or Universal vacation. It doesn't cost you anything extra and you are helping out an Aggie small business!

The Grinder (99)
AG
I'm sure you are wanting to get your kids there close to Christmas, or maybe with your work it is the only time you can go.

However, If you are able to go another time, I always recommend families with young kids go when everyone else is in school.

If you can, take your 6 y/o out of school for a few days and enjoy one of the weeks in early january after school starts. Or any other time of the year that there aren't major school breaks. Your 6 y/o won't miss anything important and you all will have a much much better experience.

You may miss out on christmas decorations, but once they get to WDW, will they really care?

If you really want to see Christmas at WDW, next year consider going the first week or two of Dec

but if this is the only time you can go, then just go. It will be crowded. You won't be able to ride most everything you want, but you'll be there I guess. At least it won't be hot

PaulBryan
Those dates are not the best for a trip. Of course, it's a very popular holiday destination, and it will be so many of people there. And huge queues
Yesterday
AG
We'll be there 26-30. Park days 27-29. I'll report back. We were last there 2019 in late July and the heat/humidity sucked. Basically left the park at noon and came back around 6 everyday. It seemed very busy too. I'll trade some longer waits for cooler temps though.
TyHolden
AG
Going to Universal that week. Older kids. Not doing Disney until they change/fix their new fast pass system. Nobody should have to get up at 6am to find out they can't get on a ride until noon. The old system was great.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.