Disney World in Late December

5,466 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TyHolden
tsuag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I want to take the kids (2, 4, and 6) to Disney World the week between Christmas and New Year's.

I've been told that it's the busiest week of the year and a bad idea. Is this true, or is it not that bad?

We haven't been in over 10 yrs and obviously the kids have never been.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
JMac03
AG
That week is the most traveled week to almost anywhere. Disney will be insane. I know on-site hotels are extremely limited at this time. Some parks are sold out for the days as well. Below is a current screenshot. You now have to make park passes in advance, can't just show up when you want.

I personally wouldn't go that week but that is just me.
tsuag10
AG
Yeah. We are planning to stay off-site since I have some hotel points to use. Also, we are probably doing the park Tuesday-Thursday, so I was planning to do Hollywood on Tuesday, followed by Animal and Magic.
TXTransplant
If your goal is for your kids to have such a miserable experience that they never ask to go back to Disney World again, then the week between Christmas and New Year's is the perfect time to visit.

I kid…sort of.
redaszag99
Don't do it

It will suck

The lines will be so long you will give up and go back to the hotel
tsuag10
AG
I'm just trying to determine if it's miserably crowded, or just crowded.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
It will be miserably crowded. As mentioned you now have to have a park reservation for a specific park. You can park hop to another park in the afternoon after a certain time with a park hopper ticket, so if you can't book the park you want in the morning, book another park and get the park hopper ticket to park hop in the afternoon. Not sure if they give priority to guests staying on site for this.

On site guests get early entry to the parks as well. Even if you arrive when you can get in there will still be lines due to resort guests having been let in earlier.
eiggA2002
AG
Couldn't think of a worse time to go. It can actually be quite cold there too at that time of year. Parks already being sold out before you even start planning the trip should tell you all you need to know and to plan for next year.
redaszag99
Also, with kids that young it will suck even worse when it is super crowded

As mentioned earlier, if your goal is to hate it and never go back, go that week
schmendeler
AG
We did Disney Land between Christmas and New Year and it was pretty great. Considering going Best Coast.
kwammer
with kids that age, you should be doing the weeks after Thanksgiving while most kids are in school.
The Lost
You'd have more fun lighting $5-10k of your own money on fire
dummble
AG
Not sure of your situation, but we left the 2yo with the grandparents when we took our 4 and 6yo.
htxag09
AG
Weird finding myself somewhat on the other side considering I absolutely hate crowds. But there is a reason it's the busiest time. Christmas at a place like Disney has to be pretty bad ass.

My wife went the week after Christmas and was there for new years when she was a kid and loved it.

That being said, I'd personally probably rather go in early December when kids are still in school yet it's still decorated for Christmas. I absolutely don't think I'd go if I hadn't booked everything already.
TXTransplant
My parents took us as kids during that week, too. It was freaking cold and wet and my dad caught the flu. He infected the rest of us on the drive home and we were all sick in bed for New Years.

With that said, the parks, especially Magic Kingdom, are magical during the holidays. I took my son to Universal and MK one year at Thanksgiving. We did the Christmas party and it was great for the crowd control.

No way I would try to book a week after Christmas trip this close to the holiday, though. Disney is not one of those places where you get last minute deals. Holidays in the parks cost a premium, and I think it would end up being an expensive disappointment/exercise in frustration.
kyledr04
AG
We went last year during the week before Christmas. Several parks were at peak capacity. It wasn't bad until mid afternoon when everyone was there. It really helps to stay on property to get in early. You can get a lot done in the morning. Also you need to get the genie subscription and keep working the app to book lightening lanes all day. Pay extra for the star wars ride, it's worth it.

Also if you're using marriott points, stay at the swan or dolphin. You get all the same perks as a disney resort. I didn't have enough point but earned a lot.

The park is awesome at Christmas. It'll be fun.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Go the first week or two after Thanksgiving.

All the benefits of the holiday happenings but lower crowds.

If you go the week after Christmas and come back to complain, banish thyself forever from asking questions on the boards
Take the trash out staff.
62strat
AG
Quote:

But there is a reason it's the busiest time. Christmas at a place like Disney has to be pretty bad ass.

It's busiest time because kids are out of school and it isn't 107 degrees.

This ain't rocket science.
EclipseAg
AG
I had family members who worked at the Magic Kingdom and they said there were times around Christmas when the park was so crowded it got a little scary on Main Street ... they were afraid of a crushing situation as people packed in close for parades and others tried to get by, etc.

I think it's possible to avoid all that if you plan but don't be surprised if it's a challenge to move around the MK, especially with little ones.

We went the week before Thanksgiving last year and it was best of both worlds -- Epcot Food and Wine was going on and so was Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Not too crowded, either.

Ogre09
AG
We took ours last year the week after Thanksgiving. It was great. They were busy, but not crowded. The weather was cool in the mornings and evenings and beautiful in the afternoons. And the holiday decor and events were in full swing.

Our kids were 6 and 8, and that was a perfect age. They were big enough to walk 10 miles every day without complaining, and still little enough to be excited about the characters. We pulled them out of school for a week for it.

I would definitely not take a 2 year old. That would be miserable even if the park wasn't crowded. Wait until they're 4, 6, and 8 or 5, 7, and 9.
longeryak
Beware if you haven't been in 10 years WDW changed a lot post COVID. WDW has moved to focusing on top 20% incomes(maybe top 10%) as they make more money operating few hours with less staffing.

First of all see if park reservations are available for that time. You now have to book which park you will be in for a given day. Between having to book your park and Disney utilizing Genie+ to spread crowds there really aren't as many crowd fluctuations days. You can kind of forget the crowd calendars now other than don't go to MK on a Sunday as everyone wants to go to MK their first day at WDW. Rope dropping MK on a party day is still a good strategy.

Then learn about demand pricing park tickets, lighting lane fast pass, and Genie Plus. The fast pass system that you used 10 years ago is no more. Booking 3 lighting lane 'fast passes' on your phone at 7am sharp means those that don't get there early can still get on a few rides 'fast pass' style. But the earlier you book those the earlier bonus passes open up to your party. Genie+ is the opportunity to pay more daily per person for the biggest attractions' lighting lane.
62strat
AG
My neighbor just got awarded make a wish for their 8 year old.
Fully expensed trip to Disney, on site hotel, 7 days, skip the line all day and whatever dining they want, don't have to deal with tickets and reservations, etc.

It's pretty unbelievable, but I wouldn't wish their situation on anyone. He is non verbal and non mobile, and a Twin at that (the other twin is typical as can be, and my kids' best friend)

I was so glad to hear they got awarded this. He said he didn't think they had a shot in the dark since their child isn't, to put it bluntly, dying.

Anyway sorry for derail, but a feel good story is always nice.
The Kraken
AG
My wife and I did four days starting a couple of days after New Year's Day this past January. The weather was perfect , lows around 50 and highs in the low 70s. Crowds weren't bad but it was out first time so couldn't compare.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
lil99chris
AG
Send me a message a csmith@travelwithontheroad.com and I can help you out.

Like many have said, it is the busiest time of year. Expect to wait for quite a bit.

StinkyPinky
AG
Best advice I can give is to take the kids out of school and go the week after Thanksgiving. The park will be a ghost town with zero wait (for anything), but they will also have al of their Xmas decorations, themes, shows up which kick off the day after Thanksgiving. Only way to go.
lil99chris
AG

Extended Evenings for Deluxe resort guests are listed below.

Magic Kingdom - December 28th
Epcot - December 26th

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/extended-evening/
longeryak
New World Ag said:

My wife and I did four days starting a couple of days after New Year's Day this past January. The weather was perfect , lows around 50 and highs in the low 70s. Crowds weren't bad but it was out first time so couldn't compare.
Cold fronts make or break the weather at that time of year.
malenurse
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

Go the first week or two after Thanksgiving.

All the benefits of the holiday happenings but lower crowds.

If you go the week after Christmas and come back to complain, banish thyself forever from asking questions on the boards
Listen to this man, for he is wise.
Wicked Good Ag
We went with the kids during the Xmas break as well.

We are divorced now.

Just stating facts
Animal Eight 84
AG
WDW that time of year will be the worst vacation you ever had.
My wife is a Disney fan and we have a timeshare at an Epcot hotel ( Beach Club) so go once a year

Try to go in January but not on a holiday weekend such as MLK day.
The Kraken
AG
longeryak said:

New World Ag said:

Cold fronts make or break the weather at that time of year.
Actually it was pretty warm when we arrived....mid 80's and humid walking through Disney Springs. Cold front came through that night and made for perfect weather for me, though some would say it was too chilly in the morning or after sunset.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
rondis23
AG
It's the worst time to go, it's the busiest, and everything will be packed. I wouldn't do it even it if was free.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Another vote for don't do it
billyjack2009
We went that week in 2019. We had planned in advance so we had restaurant reservations, fast passes, etc. all lined up. The weather was great. I think that can be hit or miss depending on fronts. It was very crowded but we managed. And the Christmas decorations are magical.

Our daughter was 8.5 at the time. She does not look back on it with great fondness. I think it was a blur. Plus, both she and I got sick (fever/colds) towards the end of the trip.

If that's the only week that works for you, it's manageable if you stay on property and pack your patience.

If/when we go back, it will be in the spring or fall. Likely not for several more years.
tsuag10
AG
OP here,

How is the week of Thanksgiving (next week) for traffic/crowds? Is it almost as packed as the week after Christmas?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.