Seaweed in Mexico? Last minute trip ...

7,607 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
clinte234
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We arrived at Dreams Vista Cancun yesterdaycrews were out all morning raking up seaweed. Not terrible, but there is definitely quite a bit. This is north of the Hotel Zone. Looks to be way worse the further south you go.

maroon10
AG
Where did ya stay
lazuras_dc
AG
That looks so disappointing- atleast you've got all inclusive lol. In destin now and it's just covered in sargassum and people- should've just stayed home with portA a stones throw away.
Post removed:
by user
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
How far south you talking about? Like Coz and PdC, Tulum, or just south of the hotel zone? We will be halfway to PdC in a few weeks. Hoping for a shift in ocean currents something.
JMac03
AG
Later everything south of hotel zone has been hit. We have seen less north of hotel zone.
clinte234
AG
There is a Facebook link posted earlier in this thread that has a really accurate map of how bad the seaweed is on different parts of the coast. That is what I was checking before we left for our trip!
clinte234
AG
Alsowe took a trip over to Mujeres this morning and it was as perfect as advertisedno seaweed in sight!
Diet Cokehead
AG
maroon10 said:

Where did ya stay
Esperanza
lazuras_dc
AG
Found this after digging around.
https://www.aoml.noaa.gov/phod/sargassum_inundation_report/index.php?dtrange=SIR_20210621
lazuras_dc
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

lazuras_dc said:

That looks so disappointing- atleast you've got all inclusive lol. In destin now and it's just covered in sargassum and people- should've just stayed home with portA a stones throw away.

That is very unusual for Destin. I've never seen much sargassum there.

It was incredible here about 5 years ago when we came. Seems to have been bad Saturday when we arrived and been getting better.
Ags-R-Better
Weird. We left Destin Saturday and had no issues with seaweed at all last week even after the storm.
lazuras_dc
AG
Ags-R-Better said:

Weird. We left Destin Saturday and had no issues with seaweed at all last week even after the storm.

What area ? We're actually a little closer to ft Walton but still on okaloosa. I should've gotten pics but there was a wall of seaweed in the water about 10 yards out with a strong shore break. Then then a line of seaweed on the beach itself a few feet wide but pretty continuous down our entire beach on Saturday/Sunday. Monday it cleared up fairly well but still spotty areas in the water.
bigtoneag
AG
Diet Cokehead said:

maroon10 said:

Where did ya stay
Esperanza
Would love to hear more about Esperanza. It's on our radar for an anniversary trip.
maroon10
AG
Nice, that's a bit too pricey for us poors. Looking at the Secrets Cabo. Switched our flights from Cancun to Cabo due to the seaweed, just don't want to worry about it.
DiskoTroop
Is this seasonal? I can't get a straight answer from articles I'm finding.

We will be at the Grand at Moon Palace in late October. Curious if maybe we'll be out of season by that time.
JMac03
AG
First the beach at Grand isn't amazing. The beach itself if fine but the water is more brown than blue.

From current and past, it does seem to be worse in spring/summer. We had zero when I was at Grand this past October. But the water was meh.

I do love the Grand, just booked 3 rooms there today for clients. Just know the water isn't the pretty blue.

DiskoTroop
Yes I'd heard about the water in general. We're ok with that. A trip out to Isla Mujeres should quell the need for blue water. This is our first time to a resort in Cancun, gulf side. We do Turks and Caicos and we've done Cabo in the past but we're excited about the Grand!
maroon10
AG
As someone who has been to Turks several times, Cancun waters is absolutely nothing in comparison so just make sure you know it won't be see through water like in Turks!
DiskoTroop
Understood. Thank you for the confirmation though!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Currently at the NOW Sapphire. Seaweed is really bad. Beach is almost unusable. Beach water is totally inaccessible. There is a good strip of white sand beach, and my boy is enjoying making sand castles, but I am not really enjoying going down to the seaweed muck to fill up the water bucket. Stink is legit, but your nose gets overwhelmed quickly and you can't smell it anymore. They have some tractors working, but they are really just raking the usable beach to keep it up. They cannot battle the incoming sargasso. Water looks like Galveston color. I can see the pretty blue, but it is a long way out there. For reference, we are approximately mid way between cancun and PdC. Not saying don't come here, just giving live update on this.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.