Seaweed in Mexico? Last minute trip ...

7,606 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
amymc72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would like to book a last-minute trip to Mexico while kids are at camp but have read some reports of terrible seaweed in Cancun, Riviera Maya, etc. Supposedly the Mexican government is deploying ships to get the situation under control?? Is that even doable?

We were on a catamaran charter in the USVI in May and there was a noticeable increase in seaweed from the beginning to the end of our trip, which makes me wonder if it's only getting worse everywhere in the Caribbean and Gulf? Or does it have a cycle where it is bad for a couple of weeks then subsides?

I have searched for sources with seaweed maps but have not found anything very updated. Please let me know if anyone has any insight. Thank you!
PleaseNoL01
Just got home from Playa Mujeres on Wednesday. There was seaweed, but it wasn't terrible in my opinion. I've seen MUCH worse on the Texas coast. The resort where we were staying used a tractor a couple of times while we were there to remove it. It was more like grass than the seaweed we see here in Texas.
amymc72
AG
Thanks so much - sounds much more tolerable than I feared!
PleaseNoL01
I've seen other posters say the seaweed was much worse in other parts of Cancun, so maybe it depends on where you are. I mean, we did a catamaran tour and could see sea turtles swimming below us so it was pretty darn clear! There was definitely some on the beach and right off the beach, but I would compare it to freshly mowed grass shards. And it wasn't everywhere. There were plenty of places you could get in that were seaweed free. We were in Playa Mujeres.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I wanted to be a marine biologist when I was in junior high so I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the topic.

Some types of seaweed grow in huge clumps that float like a raft. They are blown around by winds and currents. When the currents or winds get them close to shore, you get big messes of seaweed on the beaches. But it can go away quickly if the winds shift. I would not plan a vacation around that.
BarryProfit
Costanza?
JMac03
AG
Got home today. It was not bad in Costa Mujeres. It was terrible to the south - Riviera Maya. We got lucky.
strohag
AG
Excellence Playa Mujeres takes good care of their beach area. They do the tractor thing and even have employees raking it. Just go and enjoy your trip. Plenty of pools at the resorts with no seaweed!
HawthornAggie
AG
JMac03 said:

Got home today. It was not bad in Costa Mujeres. It was terrible to the south - Riviera Maya. We got lucky.

Just visited Riviera Maya in mid-May. Seaweed was terrible. Even with employees raking, it consumed the beach. Resort was great though!
Post removed:
by user
Silky Johnston
It was awful in Playa Del Carmen. Had bulldozers moving 6 foot high mounds around. Smelled awful too.
bones75
AG
It was terrible 2 weeks ago at Cancun. Dreams Natura resort had a crew working all day every day and never
cleared a path to the water. The beach was unusable.
I did hear there were clean beaches in Isla Mujeres
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Grosvenor
AG
Best I can tell Cozumel should be fine on the West side. We're headed there Sunday, so I hope I'm right.
JMac03
AG
Cozumel should be good.

If you are set on Cancun side - I would look north of Cancun - Playa Mujeres, Costa Mujeres, etc. We had maybe a foot wide stretch down the beach, maybe a little less? It wasn't the 20+ feet I saw in other areas. Granted this can change day by day, but generally hotel zone and north of it sees less seaweed.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Will confirm also that Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen have been getting the worst of the sargassum.

Playa Mujeres seems to be a better bet, but all can change in a matter of days too. Playa Mujeres usually doesn't seem to get the worst of it in past years that it has been bad.

Cozumel should be good too.

Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
pixie
AG
Worst sargassum we've seen in our 20+ trips to Riviera Maya last week at Maroma beach. The resort staff said Playa Mujeres area and Isla Mujeres are generally much better and that's where they go with their families. This site keeps up-to-date info about the situation at the various beaches Sargassum Monitor
Ptery83
We normally go to EPM, but a friend booked a birthday trip at Secrets Akumal for this upcoming week. I guess we'll be battling the seaweed....bummer.
JMac03
AG
I have clients there now. Waiting to see what they say - I'm praying they get a few good days cause they are snorkelers.
A New Hope
And this is why you don't go to Mexico.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-tourist-cancun-wounded-stray-134317728.html

Even the tourist havens aren't safe anymore,

Post removed:
by user
Yesterday
AG
We switched our trip from Playa Del Carmen to Playa Majures last year. Very glad we did so because the sea weed was terrible in Playa Del Carmen and only a bit here and there at Playa Majures.

And I've always felt safe in Cancun. I even "gasp" go out into town. 99.9% of the people are god fearing hard working people. Just don't go to a shady place and ask for cocaine.
JYDog90
AG
Grosvenor said:

Best I can tell Cozumel should be fine on the West side. We're headed there Sunday, so I hope I'm right.
We're going in two weeks. Curious to hear of your experience and where you're staying.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Ptery83
Arrived yesterday to Secrets Akumal. So far lots of rain and seaweed, but better than being at work I suppose.
maroon10
AG
That is truly disappointing
maroon10
AG
Southwest just opened up flights in the Fall to Bahamas, Turks and Caymans. May cancel Mexico and change plans.
Yesterday
AG
maroon10 said:

Southwest just opened up flights in the Fall to Bahamas, Turks and Caymans. May cancel Mexico and change plans.

I would switch hotels to Playa Majures. Everything south of Cancun seems to be getting the worst of it.
maroon10
AG
I know things can change come October but still makes me nervous.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Ptery83 said:

Arrived yesterday to Secrets Akumal. So far lots of rain and seaweed, but better than being at work I suppose.

Damn that sucks. Friends in Dominican Republic posted the same thing from their resort.
Grosvenor
AG
No seaweed on the west side of Cozumel
capelegrand
we are in Puerto Morelos. There are better days and worse, but not too bad in general, for the last few days almost no seaweed
maroon10
AG
Any recommendations to stay on Isla Mujeres? Adults only.
JMac03
AG
maroon10 said:

I toured the Palace there and it was nice. It was pretty quite - not a party resort. With that said - I heard there is some big bar or something next door where it can get loud and hear it on property - but we didn't hear it (it was also in October when many people weren't traveling during pandemic). Palace has a speed boat that does free transfers but it doesn't operate on Wednesdays.
maroon10
AG
Thanks for the info! Looks like they're fully booked for when our flights are. Crazy. Excellence PM has only their lowest room avail too.
murphyag
AG
maroon10 said:

Privilege Aluxes was a decent place. But, its been 7 or 8 years since I was there. Just fyi. The hotels/AI hotels aren't what you're used to in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, etc. The hotels on the island are much smaller.
Diet Cokehead
AG
We just got back from Cabo. Was amazing.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.