Park City/Deer Valley/Utah Skiing

9,236 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BrokeAssAggie
TexasAg93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A ton of folks are understandably worried about their Colorado/New Mexico/California ski trips. If you are still planning, Park City/Deer Valley may be a great option since Utah has not (knock on wood) gone off the deep end with regard to restrictions.

I am headed up this weekend to get our place in Deer Valley ready for holiday guests and will get a chance to see how much more of the mountain has been opened. New snow tonight and next week.

Feel free to shoot many any questions that you may have if you are considering a trip to PC/DV. Also, feel free to post any information you have on Park City/Deer Valley/Utah Skiing.

SkiDV!!

texas_ute
AG
My family went to Alta for an afternoon last week and Brighton for an afternoon this week. There were 4 lifts open at Brighton. Snow coverage a bit thin right now, but that will change with the upcoming storms this weekend!

Look carefully at the resort websites. Most are requiring advanced tickets purchased online. Even if you have an IKON pass, some resorts are requiring advanced "reservations". Since each resort is doing things slightly differently, just check carefully in advance no matter where you ski.
Bassmaster
AG
Please do update the thread after you go. We were going to Breckenridge in January, but cancelled and are strongly considering PC.
TexasAg93
AG
You got it. I will say that you can't go wrong with PC or Deer Valley. Deer Valley is ski only but is first class all of the way. I am biased since my place is there, but I recommend staying in the Empire Pass if you want to ski Deer Valley--especially if going with family. Ski in/out with a dedicated lift (see photo above) into the condos that will seldom have any line. There is also a free on-demand shuttle dedicated to Empire Pass that will take you around PC. PC's main street is great with great food, shopping, art galleries, etc.
Bassmaster
AG
Thanks. I am going with family. Me, 9 year old, and 6 year old will ski 3 days. We need to be close enough to things for my wife and 2 year old to occupy themselves.
Barnyard96
AG
OP has a place in Deer Valley.
TX04Aggie
AG
I'm here almost all month. Good dump of snow today, so I stayed off the hills, knowing the powder hounds would be excited. Deer Valley was good, they are the best at everything though. Park City-Canyon a little sad looking, so if you are on Epic Pass you will be disappointed right now. It was looking rough. I did Alta, Snowbird and Brighton this week. Alta was in decent shape, Snowbird was still a little thin, odd since they are next door. Brighton was still thin and they require reservations. Will hit up Solitude in morning- take bus or park on side of BCC road to avoid paying their $20 parking fee. Looks like Cottonwood Canyons received and is receiving good snow today which will help get these 4 resorts on the upswing to opening more up. More pow on the way Monday too. As far as ski experience, really not any different. Sort of different lift management and masks stay on in line, but I usually keep mine on all day anyways even in a normal season.
befitter
We were skiing PC for spring break this year the week the world started shutting down. Love PC!!
TexasAg93
AG
Bassmaster,

Just go back from DV:/PC and did not hear anything about Utah heightening its Covid restrictions. Other than having to wear a mask and work with advance reservations, life is a little closer to normal and not unlike most of Texas.

As far as your wife, just about everything in PC/DV is convenient unless you stay at Canyons Resort. She will have a ton of places to keep her occupied on Main Street.

A fair amount of new snow this week at both DV and PC resorts with more coming so skiing is looking up. Both resorts are also making a ton of snow. Can't go wrong either place.

If you decide to go and have questions on where to stay, eat, etc., let me know. Sounds like TX04Aggie knows the area well also and may have thoughts.

Highly recommend.
Bassmaster
AG
Thanks for the update!
SkiMo
AG
Live in SLC. Snow has been pretty ****ty this year so far but started to pick up the last few days.

Mask required while in lines.
Make sure that you have reservations in addition to your lift tickets.
If you're driving, I know that Snowbird requires parking reservations.
And if driving make sure you have 4wd or chains. Required to go up the mountain when traction law is in effect. (in the Cottonwood Canyons...not I-80 to PC/DV)
George Costanza
Has anyone skied at Sundance? Any words of wisdom?
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
George Costanza said:

Has anyone skied at Sundance? Any words of wisdom?

Don't cross skis.
BoDog
AG
TexasAg93, any reason why rooms are so crazy expensive the weekend of 2/11? Was wanting to take my son for his birthday but they are twice the cost of the spring break rates????
dave99ag
AG
Took the family to PC last week and yeah, not much snow out there. Finally got a dusting on Friday night. The little ones had fun at Woodward tubing and ski lessons. Great area and I hope more snow comes in.

Covid regulations felt about the same as Texas. Masked up while in lines and walking around Main Street. Nothing too crazy.
SkiMo
AG
BoDog said:

TexasAg93, any reason why rooms are so crazy expensive the weekend of 2/11? Was wanting to take my son for his birthday but they are twice the cost of the spring break rates????
Strangely enough, President's Day weekend is always busy at ski resorts and they jack up the prices

Also - depending on when your spring break is, PC can be melting off snow by then. It's lower elevation and not as cold. Colorado is much more popular and expensive during spring break.
TexasAg93
AG
SkiMo is spot on. Presidents is a big week so rates spike. If you can go another weekend (have the kids play hooky or do online for a couple days) you may be able to get a good deal. In talking with one of the resort guys, overall bookings are down about 50 percent right now overall with inventory high on non-peak weekends as compared to normal. Possibly 14 inches of new snow tonight and tomorrow.
pimplepopper
AG
TexasAg93 said:

SkiMo is spot on. Presidents is a big week so rates spike. If you can go another weekend (have the kids play hooky or do online for a couple days) you may be able to get a good deal. In talking with one of the resort guys, overall bookings are down about 50 percent right now overall with inventory high on non-peak weekends as compared to normal. Possibly 14 inches of new snow tonight and tomorrow.
We have a 2 and 4-bedroom condo reserved for Spring Break at a place called Powder Run. Looks very close to ski-in/ski-out. Do you have an feedback on these condos? Thanks in advance.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TexasAg93
AG
Powder Run is located in Snow Park in lower Deer Valley. I think it is a little older given it is at the base, but some of those places have been renovated. Very convenient to to Main Street and the Snow Park lifts. It is not ski in/ski out, but you will not have far to travel. Deer Valley has complimentary ski storage at the base of the mountain so take advantage of that perk so you don't have to haul gear back and forth.

If you want ski in/ski out look at the places in Empire Pass in Upper Deer Valley--Arrowleaf, Shooting Star, Flagstaff, etc. I am not sure how the prices compare with Powder Run, but they are true ski in/ski out, are still convenient to Main Street with a free, on-demand, shuttle dedicated to Empire Pass, and have a dedicated lift that is never busy. The picture above is standing outside Arrowleaf looking down the run to bottom of the lift. It is beautiful up there.

You will really enjoy PC/DV if this is your first trip.

Here if you need more info.
pimplepopper
AG
Thank you!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Greeze06
AG
Going PC 27-2nd for first time. Really looking forward to it.

Any recommended travel from SLC to PC? Just taxi or uber?
TX04Aggie
AG
Nice, yeah you can just Uber.
TexasAg93
AG
Will be there as well. You will have a blast. Uber should not be an issue at all. I have the info for a shuttle service that I can send to you if needed. Make your restaurant reservations now if you plan to dine out. Enjoy!!
Post removed:
by user
Greeze06
AG
Thanks! What app are you referring to?

Other than reserving the days I want to ski through the epic pass, I haven't dont other planning.

Any recommendations on where to rent skis?

Staying in Canyon Village.
Post removed:
by user
Greeze06
AG
Thanks so much! That's a pretty damn helpful app. We are in Canyon and lunch isnt as much of a concern as dinner. We have 4 adults and 6 kids in the party so dinner is probably where we will run into issues. Any dinner recs?

Also, I'm gonna have some free time from when we land to check in. Anything around Salt Lake that is must see while in that part of the country I can turn my uber driver into a tour guide?
TexasAg93
AG
Take the kids snow tubing at Woodward. It's on the way to Park City.
Post removed:
by user
TexasAg93
AG
I have heard the following restaurants in Kimble Junction are really good. SoupNazi2001 may know better as I have not tried them yet. Kimble Junction will be convenient to Canyons if you want to have a dinner away from Main Street.

Hearth and Hill
Cortona

If you are around Main Street during the day, your kids will probably like Java Cow.

Snowing a little this week, so hopefully the skiing at Park City and Canyons will improve.

Enjoy.
SkiMo
AG
Silver Star Cafe is a secret gem. Go there if you can.
TexasAg93
AG
Agree. Great place!!
CBarrett12
AG
TexasAg, do you have some more info/link to your rental? Starting the research process for a large family trip this time next year. TIA
TexasAg93
AG
I currently rent through Deer Valley Resort. ArrowLeaf Lodge No. 209. https://www.deervalley.com/plan-your-trip/explore-lodging/arrowleaf.

If you are wanting to ski Deer Valley, ArrowLeaf and the other places in Empire Pass are great. Ski/ski out and no crowds.
kag00
AG
Got a last second invite to Deer Valley for the week of Dec 28th. All the list tickets appear sold out. Know any way to snag one at this late date?

If not, any rec on things to do while not skiing?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.