Anyone planning to come to New Mexico...

13,093 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Player To Be Named Later
FarmerJohn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Red River is perfectly open with only with reduced seats in restaurants. Everyone is wearing masks inside and many (50%) wearing outside as they walk down the street. This is part but to get in any trouble but also the hassle of taking the mask on and off. As the Red River Marshall (police) drive down the street, they are not stopping anyone. Their biggest problem is ATVs driving down the main street.

It appears the governor's edicts aren't making it to far from the Albuquerque - Santa Fe corridor.
bam02
AG
I cannot find anything regarding restricting fuel sales to out-of-staters. Obviously it wouldn't likely be enforced anyway, but I'm having a hard time buying that part.
GBMont3
AG
Was with residents of SE NM over the 4th - said they were in Santa Fe the week before and first gas station they tried rejected credit card because the zip code wasn't local. Paid with debit to bypass. But that's probably how they'd try to enforce a fuel sale ban.
wildcat08
AG
bam02 said:

I cannot find anything regarding restricting fuel sales to out-of-staters. Obviously it wouldn't likely be enforced anyway, but I'm having a hard time buying that part.
It wasn't part of the order. She said it in a press conference the next day. As noted, it's unenforceable and is being completely ignored, as near as I can tell.
agdaddy04
AG
I reached out to the owner of the place we're staying at in Red River during August. They said the town is not following the order.
Phat32
AG
That tends to happen when what the government wants is a joke.

The "length of stay being shorter" thing basically means that my 30 minutes in NM in my own vehicle shouldn't cause any issue.
wildcat08
AG
Good grief!

https://www.governor.state.nm.us/2020/07/09/state-to-re-enact-certain-public-health-restrictions/
AggieSarah01
AG
FYI, out of staters no longer allowed in state parks here. They will be checking for proof of residency to let you in.
Post removed:
by user
AgLA06
AG
AggieSarah01 said:

FYI, out of staters no longer allowed in state parks here. They will be checking for proof of residency to let you in.

They callan canceled our reservation we had on the layover to Colorado 2 days before we left. Private RV and federal facilities are still open. We booked one in Cloudcroft for the way back tomorrow. We have been told that the Reservations are shut down to locals. No gas, no stopping.

Colorado has been strict on mask order and minimizing # of people in stores / restaurants, but otherwise open.
AgRyan04
We drove through NM on Wednesday and every gas station we passed was chocked full of out of out of state plates.
CanyonAg77
AG
From a 20015 report on tourism in NM:
Quote:

Visitation reached 34.0 million travelers, an increase of nearly 700,000 travelers over 2014.

Direct visitor spending in New Mexico reached $6.3 billion in 2015. This spending generated $8.8 billion in total business sales in the state, including indirect and induced impacts.

More than 90,400 jobs, with associated income of $2.4 billion, were sustained by visitors to New Mexico last year.

8.3% of all jobs in the state (1-in-12) are sustained by visitor spending.

Tourism in New Mexico generated $629 million in state and local taxes in 2015.
AggieSarah01
AG
Apparently masks are now required during exercise, both indoors AND outdoors. An older woman I know was taking her morning walk (socially distant) and was yelled at 3 times for not wearing a mask!
Al Bula
AG
Land of enchantment?!

Should rename to one of these:
Land of embarrassment
Land of harrassment
Land of belligerent
EnglishElhew07
Wildcat - Do you live in AF? We have been here for several weeks at my MIL's house. Trying to decide when we want to go home. Any insight as to if they will loosen up the restrictions? We don't want to leave then have issues coming back in.
CDub06
AG
A buddy that works public health in New Mexico sent this to me this morning:
Our numbers are increasing due to tourism. 3/4 of the people getting tested next door are from Texas. We love your money but keep your virus to yourself

(Note: There's truth in the jest, but he was just razzing me)
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

3/4 of the people getting tested
Tested...

Not confirmed.
wildcat08
AG
EnglishElhew07 said:

Wildcat - Do you live in AF? We have been here for several weeks at my MIL's house. Trying to decide when we want to go home. Any insight as to if they will loosen up the restrictions? We don't want to leave then have issues coming back in.
Yes, we do. No idea on when the governor will back off. So far, though, I don't know anyone personally who has had trouble getting here. My brother in law is coming in from Norman Thursday. I'll let you know if he has any problems.
CDub06
AG
Yes. That's what he said. Tested. And I understood his point.
TexasAggie008
AG
dumb rules deserve to be broken
aggiederelict
We booked a place the first week of August in Angel Fire. Hopefully no issues getting there. Tried to book a fishing guide but they are shut down. Just looking to beat the heat and get some mountain air.
agdaddy04
AG
The small place in Red River we booked isn't offering refunds so hope everything works out.
AGC
AG
wildcat08 said:

EnglishElhew07 said:

Yes, we do. No idea on when the governor will back off. So far, though, I don't know anyone personally who has had trouble getting here. My brother in law is coming in from Norman Thursday. I'll let you know if he has any problems.

We had no problems last Thursday, left yesterday. I came from CO, met several other families in AF for several days. Park people were great but frustrated that they'd have to police license plates at each site. They (park hosts and rangers) even told us to avoid eagle nest marina due to state police checking it frequently. I fished monte verde with one of my kids and a local policeman showed up to go fishing with his son. Didn't care about license plates at all or who was there. We had a small fire outdoors (after checking online about what was allowed) in a covered pit and the county and city fire marshalls were both hospitable despite being called out to our place about it.

State po on the roads didn't seem to care much either unless you were flying down the highways.
wildcat08
AG
That's good to hear. Glad it went well.
chris1515
AG
wildcat08 said:

I have no idea how she thinks that's going to work. Absolute insanity.

Maybe they should build some barrier...like a hedge...or maybe a fence...or maybe...a wall!
AgCPA95
AG
I spoke to my parents over lunch who have been in Carlsbad and Ruidoso NM the last week up from Houston. Sounds like southern NM, which is much more "red" than the "blue" northern part of the state is a little more open based on what my dad described.

I would have loved to have been sitting in Ruidoso the last week versus the heat here in Texas!
cruzdoggie
AG
Leaving for Cloudcroft and then Las Cruces tomorrow morning from Houston. Hopefully no issues but will report back.
AggieOO
We are looking to go back to cloudcroft, so very interested in your experience.
TequilaMockingbird
I hope it opens up by the end of August. We'll be in El Paso that weekend and hoped to zip up to Las Cruces to eat at La Posta de Mesilla.
UglyScientist
Supposed to be spending a night in Albuquerque on the way back to Texas next month. Curious to see if we are able or I have to redo that part of the trip.
Ag with kids
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

I hope it opens up by the end of August. We'll be in El Paso that weekend and hoped to zip up to Las Cruces to eat at La Posta de Mesilla.
Skip La Posta...It's gringo tourista food. Eat at Chope's in La Mesa...

Or Nopalitos in Las Cruces...
WhoHe
AG
WhoHe said:

This is from the official New Mexico tourism website ...

"Effective July 1, New Mexico is enforcing mandatory self-quarantine for all out-of-state travelers to New Mexico, whether by air or vehicle. The mandatory self-quarantine is to last 14 days or the length of stay in New Mexico, whichever is shorter."

https://www.newmexico.org/covid-19-traveler-information/

We are staying in Santa Fe for one night on our way to Colorado - I called and talked to the general manager at our hotel and she said they are not enforcing the quarantine order. She called it a "recommendation" but she said there is no way they can make people stay in their rooms.

Sounds like there is a major disconnect between what the governor is mandating and what individual businesses are willing to do.

Just returned from our trip and wanted to pass along what we experienced in NM.

Absolutely nothing.

On our way to Colorado, spent the night in Santa Fe. Checked in and then called in dinner for pick up at a restaurant 10 minutes away ... grabbed that food and went to a neighborhood park to sit and eat. Dozens of locals there and no one even gave us a second thought.

On our way back we stayed in Albuquerque. Drove to a local dive 10 minutes away from the hotel, ordered at the window to go, and then went to the UNM campus and ate at a park. Again, dozens of locals there and no one seemed to notice us.

In both cases the hotels had made changes to promote social distancing, etc., but they both bent over backwards to accommodate guests - in fact, the second hotel even waived their no-dog policy to get us to stay there.

On both legs we got gas in Tucumcari with no problems.

The electronic message boards on the Interstates announce the 14-day visitor quarantine and the mask ordinance, but both the hotels' managers told me directly there is no way to enforce the quarantine order even if they wanted to, and they were choosing to ignore it because it was ridiculous.

We did wear masks 100% of the time we were out of our car or not in our hotel rooms, but we would have done that even without the ordinance.
agdaddy04
AG
Pretty tough to eat with a mask on
milner79
Does this mean that when I stop to whiz at that little rattlesnake-infested roadside park between Clayton and Raton, I have to self-quarantine there beside the highway for two weeks ??? ...
CanyonAg77
AG
milner79 said:

Does this mean that when I stop to whiz at that little rattlesnake-infested roadside park between Clayton and Raton, I have to self-quarantine there beside the highway for two weeks ??? ...
You just need to cut off at Des Moines and take the beautiful back road over through Folsom and over the top of Johnson Mesa

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.