Anyone planning to come to New Mexico...

13,056 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Player To Be Named Later
wildcat08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
...might want to rethink it. We have had a 14-day quarantine for all visitors flying in. As of today, it is now a 14-day quarantine for ALL out of state visitors. That means when you come in from out of state, you theoretically can't leave your quarters for two weeks, even to just hike. Face masks are also mandatory, with a $100 fine for noncompliance.

Unreal.
FarmerJohn
AG
How are they handling enforcement?
wildcat08
AG
FarmerJohn said:

How are they handling enforcement?
Don't know yet. Just announced this afternoon, no real details.
FarmerJohn
AG
What about air travel? That's been in effect for some time. We're flying in shortly and staying with family. I will assure the border guards we will be good party members and follow all regulations. Just curious.
Ag CPA
AG
Drove and stayed in Angel Fire for a week in the middle of April when there was a quarantine and had no issues besides some nasty faces from the Lowe's cashiers when they saw our plates.
wildcat08
AG
They've had a 14-day quarantine for air travelers for some time. That hasn't changed. Wish I could help you on what enforcement will look like at the airport. The new order just came out this afternoon, and I don't know the fine points of the idiocy yet.
gggmann
AG
Land of Entrapment

I lived in Albuquerque for a while, was happy to leave it behind. That being said I do miss the green chile.

I'm driving through the state on I10 Friday and back Saturday. I assume that won't be a problem?
wildcat08
AG
gggmann said:

I'm driving through the state on I10 Friday and back Saturday. I assume that won't be a problem?
You should be ok. Just be sure to have a mask to wear into gas stations or eating places. Sounds as if they are dead serious on enforcing that.
Hamburger Dan
My wife and I were leaving for Corkins Lodge (fly fishing area with individual cabins between Chama and Taos)early Friday for seven days. Not sure we can go now. I just sent email and called. Sounds like a no.
wildcat08
AG
wildcat08 said:

gggmann said:

You should be ok. Just be sure to have a mask to wear into gas stations or eating places. Sounds as if they are dead serious on enforcing that.
Ok, check that. The governor said today that she doesn't want gas stations selling gas to out-of-state customers. Unbelievable.
Wicked Good Ag
so driving through NM is you run out of gas you have to stay in NM for two weeks tough
wildcat08
AG
I have no idea how she thinks that's going to work. Absolute insanity.
b dog
AG
If my Airbnb host says they're not going to enforce this, am I going to be pulled over for having Texas plates or carded on a hiking trail (if I'm wearing a mask)? We're supposed to arrive on Sunday (by car) and I'm still weighing my options.
Hamburger Dan
We have / had reservations at a place called Corkins Lodge ( Northern New Mexico) . The manager just called us and said we could our money back, if we couldn't make it. I have neighbor couple that are proffs at Tech. During the first shutdown, they were stuck in Santa Fe for a quarantine / travel ban. I think we're going to stay here. State Troopers and stopping for gas could be a problem. Who the hell knows anymore.
wildcat08
AG
b dog said:

If my Airbnb host says they're not going to enforce this, am I going to be pulled over for having Texas plates or carded on a hiking trail (if I'm wearing a mask)? We're supposed to arrive on Sunday (by car) and I'm still weighing my options.
Honestly, I don't know. I don't think there's any way they have the manpower to randomly pull over all cars with out of state plates. I suppose it's possible they could have check stops at some entry points, but I have a hard time imagining that. I just don't see how she (the governor) thinks they can enforce that on a major highway through the state. Knowing the officers here in Angel Fire, I doubt they have much interest in carding random hikers. At this point, though, it's all speculation.
Yesterday
AG
Unreal that this is America.
gggmann
AG
wildcat08 said:

b dog said:

Honestly, I don't know. I don't think there's any way they have the manpower to randomly pull over all cars with out of state plates. I suppose it's possible they could have check stops at some entry points, but I have a hard time imagining that. I just don't see how she (the governor) thinks they can enforce that on a major highway through the state. Knowing the officers here in Angel Fire, I doubt they have much interest in carding random hikers. At this point, though, it's all speculation.
There'a border patrol stop about 5 miles west of Las Cruces on I10 (same as the one in Sierra Blanca, TX), but I don't foresee them doing anything in regards to state COVID checks.
FarmerJohn
AG
The enforcement at the ABQ airport is an unmanned table with a big sign and some fliers. But the sign is very intimidating, it has red letters so you know they aren't kidding.
b dog
AG
"Lujan Grisham acknowledged enforcing the quarantine for visitors will be challenging, given the state cannot track everyone's movement and will not go as far as to erect blockades at its borders."

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/coronavirus/new-mexico-governor-issues-new-public-health-order-ahead-of-holiday-weekend/article_eb862480-bbb4-11ea-a449-ab1ca7ca2518.html
WhoHe
AG
This is from the official New Mexico tourism website ...

"Effective July 1, New Mexico is enforcing mandatory self-quarantine for all out-of-state travelers to New Mexico, whether by air or vehicle. The mandatory self-quarantine is to last 14 days or the length of stay in New Mexico, whichever is shorter."

https://www.newmexico.org/covid-19-traveler-information/

We are staying in Santa Fe for one night on our way to Colorado - I called and talked to the general manager at our hotel and she said they are not enforcing the quarantine order. She called it a "recommendation" but she said there is no way they can make people stay in their rooms.

Sounds like there is a major disconnect between what the governor is mandating and what individual businesses are willing to do.
Tx Ag72
Just cancelled our trip to AF. Called the rafting company and they gave me a refund and said that is what he had been doing all day. Told me that unless you own a home in NM, the governor does not want visitors. I have a SIL who is an LEO. Last thing we need is for him to get asked if he had SQ because Karen had seen his Tx plates. Will probably not get a refund from VRBO, but I did ask. There was going to be 10 in our party so there would be 2 or more vehicles going to the same venue all the time. This has been a year, no trip to Switzerland, no family trip and probably won't be going to Tuscaloosa now.
Ag with kids
AG
WhoHe said:

This is from the official New Mexico tourism website ...

"Effective July 1, New Mexico is enforcing mandatory self-quarantine for all out-of-state travelers to New Mexico, whether by air or vehicle. The mandatory self-quarantine is to last 14 days or the length of stay in New Mexico, whichever is shorter."

https://www.newmexico.org/covid-19-traveler-information/

We are staying in Santa Fe for one night on our way to Colorado - I called and talked to the general manager at our hotel and she said they are not enforcing the quarantine order. She called it a "recommendation" but she said there is no way they can make people stay in their rooms.

Sounds like there is a major disconnect between what the governor is mandating and what individual businesses are willing to do.
So, if you fly to NM, for 3 weeks, you have to stay inside for 14 days so you don't interact with anyone during that period - don't want to make people sick. But, if you're only there for 4 days, you can go back to the airport and interact with lots and lots of people before that 14 day period.

Makes sense.
TxAg20
AG
Like the New Mexico highways, this will probably be monitored by aircraft.

The bad about driving through New Mexico is the low speed limits. The good is you almost never see any highway patrol.
AggieOO
We were planning an extended labor day weekend trip since its also my wife's birthday. Luckily, there's enough time between now and then to see of this whole enforcement has any legs.
aggiederelict
Almost booked a place in Angel Fire today for early August but will wait a few weeks to see how this shakes out.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
wildcat08 said:

That means when you come in from out of state, you theoretically can't leave your quarters for two weeks, even to just hike.

It's unbelievable to me that people actually think wearing a mask outside while god knows how far from the nearest person is somehow making a difference? It's completely void of any common sense. Large crowd? Sure. Inside? Sure. Outside hiking? Idiotic.
archangelus2
AG
We drove through NM today. Stopped at Arby's and also filled up with gas at a different stop. No issues.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Isn't this basically what Texas tried doing to people from Louisiana when they were having their big mess of cases in New Orleans?
RAB87
AG
Stupid Democrats trying to crap on Americans as much as possible before Nov 3rd.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
RAB87 said:

Stupid Democrats trying to crap on Americans as much as possible before Nov 3rd.

Yeah, Democrats

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-mandates-14-day-quarantine-for-road-travelers-arriving-in-texas-from-any-location-in-louisiana
AggieOO
RAB87 said:

This is what is wrong with America.

As someone who is pretty liberal, I think that some of the NM mandate is pretty dumb too. But...there's absolutely no middle ground anymore, so everyone is automatically crapping on you.

Can't believe that there wasn't an aluminum foil shortage alongside the TP shortage with all the hats you have to make.
YouBet
AG
wildcat08 said:

wildcat08 said:

gggmann said:

Ok, check that. The governor said today that she doesn't want gas stations selling gas to out-of-state customers. Unbelievable.
Wait. What?

That would get a loud FU if I own a gas station. It's completely unsafe and stupid.
wildcat08
AG
YouBet said:

wildcat08 said:

wildcat08 said:

gggmann said:

Wait. What?

That would get a loud FU if I own a gas station. It's completely unsafe and stupid.
It's completely unenforceable (not to mention monumentally stupid) and I don't think there's any attempt to do it. From what we can tell here in Angel Fire, the quarantine order is being ignored as well. The Red River mayor basically told her (the governor) to pound sand, so I imagine things are about the same in Red River as here. People are being more diligent about wearing masks in stores, but that's the only change I have seen.
CanyonAg77
AG
Before the corona scare, wife used to travel for business to NM a lot. When we bought gas, we used our card at the pump, at one of 8-20 pumps, depending on the size of the place we stopped. Short of posting a Guard, how would they stop us buying gas?
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG

Quote:

In other words "no seriously, I really, really want you all to go out of business". Stranded on the side of the road would create more exposure risk and lengthen time time you were in the state.

I was there the week before this announcement and had no trouble, but one other just stupid thinking policy is that they won't allow any parties of over 6 be seated, even outdoors, in restaurants. My family is a party of 10. So every time we ate, we would know it was coming. I was never rude (the person telling me the news each time I knew was not responsible) so when they told me the 6 max, each time I would say "we are all in the same family" and they would say "I'm sorry sir, it's the rules..." and I would just smile and say "ok, you can split us up and we'll double the areas we infect."

They all just laughed. Good people in New Mexico but the leadership, not so much.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.