Texas beaches?

16,089 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Scotts Tot
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Booked a house at Cinnamon Shore for September. We're not expecting the beach to be anywhere near as pristine as 30A, but with a toddler and infant in tow, I'm excited to go somewhere nice to chill for a week that doesn't require a 12 hour haul.
BadMoonRisin
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

Will look into it...thanks! Are there areas where you can walk out of a house down to the beach, or is it driving to/from?
The gulfstream, El Constante, Holiday Inn (dont think its open yet still after Harvey), Island house, and Pathway to the Sea all have "beach front" condos. You basically walk through a grassy area about 20 feet long, to the sea wall, then down there to the beach.
Ag with kids
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

FlyFisher09 said:

Will look into it...thanks! Are there areas where you can walk out of a house down to the beach, or is it driving to/from?
The gulfstream, El Constante, Holiday Inn (dont think its open yet still after Harvey), Island house, and Pathway to the Sea all have "beach front" condos. You basically walk through a grassy area about 20 feet long, to the sea wall, then down there to the beach.
Holiday Inn is not open yet.

And right across the street from all of those places are a bunch of condos that are still only a 3 min walk to the beach.
Ag CPA
AG
Ag with kids said:

Ag CPA said:

We are heading to NPI from DFW this weekend, will be interesting to see what it's like. My buddy that lives in Flour Bluff said there are record numbers of tourists this summer with nobody wanting to fly, which aside from crowds, would be awesome for the State.
It's been a lot busier on NPI than the last 2 summers, that's for sure.

Whereabouts are you staying?

BTW, don't EVEN think about getting on the beach at Whitecap unless you go early. You'll need to at least go down to the horse stalls entrance...and if that's a Charlie Foxtrot, get out and head down to the last access road, right before PINS...
We are doing Gulfstream. We mix it up at different places between NPI and Port A over the years, but we like Gulfstream because it is an easy walk from the condo to the beach with the seawall there. You have to deal with the dunes on Mustang Island and makes the trek to the beach more difficult without a golf cart. Regardless, we usually drive down to the beach in the morning and set up camp wherever we go in the area.
Ag with kids
AG
Ag CPA said:

Ag with kids said:

Ag CPA said:

We are heading to NPI from DFW this weekend, will be interesting to see what it's like. My buddy that lives in Flour Bluff said there are record numbers of tourists this summer with nobody wanting to fly, which aside from crowds, would be awesome for the State.

BTW, don't EVEN think about getting on the beach at Whitecap unless you go early. You'll need to at least go down to the horse stalls entrance...and if that's a Charlie Foxtrot, get out and head down to the last access road, right before PINS...
We are doing Gulfstream. We mix it up at different places between NPI and Port A over the years, but we like Gulfstream because it is an easy walk from the condo to the beach with the seawall there. You have to deal with the dunes on Mustang Island and makes the trek to the beach more difficult without a golf cart. Regardless, we usually drive down to the beach in the morning and set up camp wherever we go in the area.
PM me when you get down here and I'll buy you a beer.
rondis23
AG
Ag with kids said:

Ag CPA said:

Ag with kids said:

Ag CPA said:

PM me when you get down here and I'll buy you a beer.

I'm here now. I like beer. Here till Thursday!
culdeus
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

Booked a house at Cinnamon Shore for September. We're not expecting the beach to be anywhere near as pristine as 30A, but with a toddler and infant in tow, I'm excited to go somewhere nice to chill for a week that doesn't require a 12 hour haul.

Cinnamon shores prices are nuts compared to 30A. I don't get it. The drive to Florida isn't that bad and the sand is orders of magnitude better.

For a week trip Florida all day but a long weekend CS makes some sense.
Scotts Tot
AG
I agree, and that is what we would like to do in future years when our kids can handle the drive. There's no way our cranky toddler can deal with a full day in the car...would be an absolute beating.
culdeus
AG
We would fly before they could do the drive. Not having that option this year sucks.
LCE
AG
Cinn Shore is a small part of Port A. We usually stay at Beachgate Condos.
Ag CPA
AG
Just as a heads-up, the beaches are starting to close off access for vehicles, impose curfews, fully close, etc. starting this weekend.
YouBet
AG
Not that there is a real beach here but we are in Rockport right now. Most restaurants are take out only. It's a bummer but we are making due because it's still better than being in Dallas.
Ag with kids
AG
Ag CPA said:

Just as a heads-up, the beaches are starting to close off access for vehicles, impose curfews, fully close, etc. starting this weekend.
That's true both on N Padre and Port A. You can still get on the NPI beach, but you're walking and carrying all your stuff quite a distance...
Yesterday
AG
So dumb.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Ag with kids said:

Ag CPA said:

That's true both on N Padre and Port A. You can still get on the NPI beach, but you're walking and carrying all your stuff quite a distance...
Yeah, imagine the parking lot that is going to spring up. What a cluster.
Ag with kids
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Ag with kids said:

Ag CPA said:

Yeah, imagine the parking lot that is going to spring up. What a cluster.
If they do like Easter, they'll block the access roads right at SPID. Meaning any parking would have to be along the main road (which is probably illegal) with a 100 yd walk to the beach - if you're parked right next to the access road. There are only 7 entrances to the beach south of the Packery Channel.

I imagine Windward Rd will have a lot of parked cars on it. But, there's really no real place to park other THAN the beach.

We were going to avoid it like the plague anyways though even if it was open. We can go anytime. Why subject yourself to the Charlie Foxtrot that would have occurred if you don't have to...

Kleburg County beach closed, too, so they'll block the last access road before PINS.
JMac03
AG
As I read it, they closed like 5-6 entrances to South Padre Island beach - but it doesn't say that the beach itself is closed. This leads me to believe that if I am booked at a hotel we still have access to the beach but I guess I will find out (although its supposed to be lifted the day we are set to go)
Aust Ag
AG
Can't wait to hear the stories over the next few days.....
99_Brock_Ag
AG
So with no vehicles allowed on Port A where would someone park to get to the beach?
We're headed down tomorrow and only have a limited knowledge of the area.
AG
99_Brock_Ag said:

So with no vehicles allowed on Port A where would someone park to get to the beach?
Little too late to answer, but unless your were there at daybreak, pretty sure the cars and golf carts will be stacked everywhere if they are blocking off the entrances. There will be no magic solution to park and walk.
sdc177
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

99_Brock_Ag said:

Little too late to answer, but unless your were there at daybreak, pretty sure the cars and golf carts will be stacked everywhere if they are blocking off the entrances. There will be no magic solution to park and walk.

Uber?
Ag with kids
AG
99_Brock_Ag said:

Designate someone that ain't going to the beach that day to get you as close as possible to the beach and drop you off. Then they go find something else to do until you want to be picked up.

NPI is in the same boat. But, only 2 of our access roads get you anywhere close to the beach before they're blocked. So basically, of the 10+ miles of beach, about 1 mile has "some" close access. The rest? Yeah, no...
99_Brock_Ag
AG
99_Brock_Ag said:

So we survived today. Went down to the end of Beach Access Rd #1. Parked on side of the road.
Got there about 10am and only had about about 50 yards to the entrance they had set up. The road filled up as the day went on, but worked out well for us.
Definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Austintm
Aust Ag said:

Stay home. Save the stories for next year
YouBet
AG
Austintm said:

Aust Ag said:

Stay home. Save the stories for next year

We are getting a vaccine?! When?!
AG
99_Brock_Ag said:

99_Brock_Ag said:

So we survived today. Went down to the end of Beach Access Rd #1. Parked on side of the road.
Got there about 10am and only had about about 50 yards to the entrance they had set up. The road filled up as the day went on, but worked out well for us.
Definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Glad you got out with the family and had a good day.
Aust Ag
AG
Aust Ag said:

I feel cheated, where's the beach stories from the long weekend?
jetch17
AG
The no vehicle access in Port A over the weekend thinned the crowds - once it opened up yesterday the floodgates opened with a bees nest of golf carts & trucks - although was still able to space out ok - particularly on south end of mustang

Def a fair share of groups of people basically on top of each other with zero F's given down near town, but damn nice when you get away and can spread out
MAS444
AG
Cinnamon Shores was jammed as f over the weekend. You walked/cruised around at your own peril after dark as it was crash up derby with with all the drunk high school/college kids driving golf carts everywhere. Beach was pretty tame with the driving restrictions. It was nice, except for having to lug your crap out there every day.
jetch17
AG
CS still pretty jumpin during the week this week - pools have thinned our at least with beaches open
MAS444
AG
Yeah I like that pool with the bar but it was way too crowded over the weekend. We just went to the beach every day.
jetch17
AG
We just go to the big one where you can drag your own coolers - much more spread out

Hittin the beach with a bloody right now in the cart
JMac03
AG
Headed to Padre Sunday. It doesn't look like they ended up closing all the entrances to the beach. What the order does say is that you can only have a single pole umbrella (meaning you can't put up the larger ones that have 4 poles). And only 2 chairs under each umbrella. This is both for personal and for the vendors.

I do hope we can end up doing the 4 pole but of course will make due if we can't.
Ag with kids
AG
JMac03 said:

Headed to Padre Sunday. It doesn't look like they ended up closing all the entrances to the beach. What the order does say is that you can only have a single pole umbrella (meaning you can't put up the larger ones that have 4 poles). And only 2 chairs under each umbrella. This is both for personal and for the vendors.

I do hope we can end up doing the 4 pole but of course will make due if we can't.
North or South Padre?

NPI only closed the beach to vehicles from 7/3-7/6 although there is still an 8 pm curfew in place until 7/11.
JMac03
AG
Ag with kids said:

JMac03 said:

North or South Padre?

NPI only closed the beach to vehicles from 7/3-7/6 although there is still an 8 pm curfew in place until 7/11.
South. Originally when I posted they put an order out that stated 5-6 beach access points were closed. I didn't check on it for a few days and it looks it was reversed but with guidelines you can't do a pop up tent.

https://www.myspi.org/egov/documents/1594148146_33926.pdf

https://www.myspi.org/egov/documents/1593641188_30282.pdf

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.