Texas beaches?

15,894 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Scotts Tot
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FYI - Canales and mayor of Port A issue joint statement reaffirming vehicle ban. Guess this is what the mayor got for stepping up and trying to be sensible.

https://www.nuecesco.com/Home/Components/News/News/1275/1169
Ag with kids
AG
NPI vehicle beach closure extended to 8/24 - ostensibly due to needed to do more beach clean up from Hanna.

Only open from Whitecap to Packery realistically...
Scotts Tot
AG
Finishing up our week at Cinnamon Shore and have had a great time. Beautiful little community very much in the same vein as Seaside and Rosemary Beach. Of course the beach is not as nice as in Florida, but with a couple of small children, the trade-off of a shorter drive and the ability to drive a golf cart all the way to our beach chairs is worth it.

Only thing I'll say that's disappointing, having not been to a Texas beach since I was a kid: the beaches here are so trashy. What's up with that? The crew at Cinnamon Shore rake the beach, but still have some trash. Driving further down the beach, there is trash everywhere. Not sure what it is about the beach here that it gets so much more trashed out than the Florida panhandle, but it kinda sucks.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Yep they have always sucked. Back in the day you had to clean the tar off after a beach day in Texas. Good times.
Ag CPA
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Yep they have always sucked. Back in the day you had to clean the tar off after a beach day in Texas. Good times.
Yah, growing up and going to Padre Island I thought that scrubbing your feet with turpentine was just part of the beach experience, was floored the first time we went to Hilton Head and there was no tar on the beach.
Scotts Tot
AG
Yea I had forgotten about that! I seem to remember dealing with tar as a kiddo when we went to SPI.

I'm just discouraged by all the debris and litter. Cigarette butts, bottles, random plastic trash of all types. Who are the people that just chunk this stuff on the beach and leave it?
Ag CPA
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

Yea I had forgotten about that! I seem to remember dealing with tar as a kiddo when we went to SPI.

I'm just discouraged by all the debris and litter. Cigarette butts, bottles, random plastic trash of all types. Who are the people that just chunk this stuff on the beach and leave it?
For those under 40, google Ixtoc oil spill, explains why there was tar on the beaches of Padre in the early 80s.
txags92
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

A lot of it comes ashore after drifting the gulf. We get all of the mud and trash from the rest of the gulf coast washing up on our beaches.
Are crystal beach and Port A good options right now for a weekend trip? (Restaurants open, etc)
Ag with kids
AG
As far as I know Port A is 100% open. I live on NPI and everything is open here.
Old Army Ghost
FlyFisher09 said:

Finishing up our week at Cinnamon Shore and have had a great time. Beautiful little community very much in the same vein as Seaside and Rosemary Beach. Of course the beach is not as nice as in Florida, but with a couple of small children, the trade-off of a shorter drive and the ability to drive a golf cart all the way to our beach chairs is worth it.

Only thing I'll say that's disappointing, having not been to a Texas beach since I was a kid: the beaches here are so trashy. What's up with that? The crew at Cinnamon Shore rake the beach, but still have some trash. Driving further down the beach, there is trash everywhere. Not sure what it is about the beach here that it gets so much more trashed out than the Florida panhandle, but it kinda sucks.
The way the currents flow, lots of trash from elsewhere washes onto the beaches in Texas.

The gulf is shaped like a toilet, it operates likes one, and texas is where all the **** goes...

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Ocean-currents-wash-trash-onto-beach-1512566.php
Old Army has gone to hell.
woodyhayes
We live at Crystal Beach and everything is open but us local folks dont like renters coming and going so find someplace else. Thanks !
Ag with kids
AG
woodyhayes said:

We live at Crystal Beach and everything is open but us local folks dont like renters coming and going so find someplace else. Thanks !
I live on NPI and own a couple condos here. They're free to come here if they rent one of them. Otherwise, I agree with woody...
YouBet
AG
We drove though Cinnamon Shores out of curiosity over Christmas. Nice little development. Looks high end as hell for that area. We noticed they are in the process of building CS South just down the road and then there is a similar development up the road the other direction that looks like it's going to be even nicer since it has a golf course attached to it.
Scotts Tot
AG
It is nice. It's basically a copy of the 30A communities.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.