Texas beaches?

16,017 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Scotts Tot
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've made a habit in recent years of heading to 30A for our beach fix. This year, between having a newborn and toddler, and not wanting to take them on plane because of corona, we're looking for something closer. Neither of us have spent much time around Texas beaches since childhood, so we're not really familiar with the options. Would appreciate any recommendations that meet the following criteria...

-Within 6-ish hours of DFW (thinking that keeps us north of Port A)
-As good of a beach as possible...obviously won't be Florida quality but a clean beach and water for toddler to play in
-Nice houses available to rent, don't mind spending up for a comfortable newer place
-Having a pool would be a big plus
Ag with kids
AG
North Padre Island (Corpus) is about 20 min closer than Port A. Beach is great here. It's a more laid back atmosphere here than it is up in Port A.

It's about 6.5 hrs from DFW depending on where you are (Frisco area/etc obviously add a little extra). I lived in Weatherford then Ft Worth prior to moving here. I know Galveston is closer, but it really is nicer on the beach here. Now, it's not Destin nice here, but it's also not that far away.

Stop at the HEB on Waldron to stock up on groceries, though, since we don't have a grocery store on the island yet(CVS/Dollar General only). But, we are getting an IGA like Port A.

Any other questions, PM me.
Scotts Tot
AG
Will look into it...thanks! Are there areas where you can walk out of a house down to the beach, or is it driving to/from?
Ag with kids
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

Will look into it...thanks! Are there areas where you can walk out of a house down to the beach, or is it driving to/from?
There are a number of condos right on the beach or within walking distance. But, even if you drive, you can drive on the beach and just park where you want to hang out. And it's only a few min to the beach (it's 3 min from my house).
10Aggie10
AG
What are the top three stretches of beach between Port A Jetty and Malaquite?

For example, would you recommend paying to go to Mustang Island SP or National Seashore, or find a free beach somewhere?
nukeaggie2000
AG
we rent out a beach house in Crystal Beach. Beach is good for Texas and you can drive on the beach. If its too crowded you can drive further down the beach where there are no houses and have the beach to yourself. Ferry wait from Crystal beach to galveston can be long on the weekend, but you can also drive through Winnie from Dallas and skip the ferry.
Ag with kids
AG
10Aggie10 said:

What are the top three stretches of beach between Port A Jetty and Malaquite?

For example, would you recommend paying to go to Mustang Island SP or National Seashore, or find a free beach somewhere?
Depends...if it's a BIG weekend, the beach will be packed down past the Bowl. On days like that, we drive to the last access road before PINS and enter. Usually fewer cars there.

But, normally, we just access right before the horse barn and turn right on the beach until we find a good spot.

I've never done Mustang SP, but we have the yearly pass to PINS so we use that when we want to let our dogs run around with no one around. But, it IS a bit more of a drive there (about 15 min from Whitecap Rd).

Funny thing is, we used to go to Port A about 5-6 times a year before we moved here from DFW. Now we rarely go even though it's only a 20 min drive.
gvine07
AG
Port A is nice because it's like Galveston with more affluent folk.

My wife and I went to National Seashore on 4th of July one year (2013ish) wanting to have some space. We expected to have to drive a few miles, but after about one mile we were the only people within 150 yards. I imagine it's typically even less crowded.

Both very different, but I loved Port A and National Seashore
Ag with kids
AG
gvine07 said:

Port A is nice because it's like Galveston with more affluent folk.

My wife and I went to National Seashore on 4th of July one year (2013ish) wanting to have some space. We expected to have to drive a few miles, but after about one mile we were the only people within 150 yards. I imagine it's typically even less crowded.

Both very different, but I loved Port A and National Seashore
PINS is usually very sparse most days, even most weekends. Big holidays can make it more congested, though.

HOWEVER...at PINS, there IS NO CELL PHONE COVERAGE. And DO NOT drive too far down without 4WD.

I'm serious about that.

I've only been 40 miles down on the beach there but I hope to go to the Cut this fall. BTW, 40 miles at 15 mph a little tiresome. Add in soft sand when you're dropped into 4 low and doing 8 mph top speed and you can can a fun day. Because it's so BEAUTIFUL there...
gvine07
AG
Ag with kids said:

BTW, 40 miles at 15 mph a little tiresome.

Definitely. My wife and I were in my 4x4 F150, and I think it said 4x4 was required after mile 4 so that's where we were headed! For 15ish minutes and it got old - if I remember correctly the only bathroom was at the entrance, too
idAg09
Check out cinnamon Shore in Port Aransas. Pricey but very nice and very kid friendly. Going this weekend and go every year with three kids under 6.

It'll be Tough to find a reservation anywhere and you'll be paying a little bit more than usual due to demand (lots of ppl have same short distance travel though like you). We also like Hyatt lost pines and Hyatt hill country with kids
Scotts Tot
AG
This looks to be right up our alley. Appears to be a copy of the Seaside/Rosemary Beach model. Thanks for the recommendation. I had assumed there would have been more communities like this along the Texas coast, but I'm just unaware of them.
arrow
AG
idAg09 said:

Check out cinnamon Shore in Port Aransas.
This looks great. How far in advance do you typically have to book?
Ag with kids
AG
arrow said:

idAg09 said:

Check out cinnamon Shore in Port Aransas.
This looks great. How far in advance do you typically have to book?
ASAP.

The place I have for rent here on the island doesn't have a weekend available until August IIRC.
arrow
AG
Yeah I was just clicking around and looks like it would have to be 2021 visit for my family. I'm curious if it's like Destin or Seaside and I need a 6-12 month advance reservation.
gvine07
AG
+1 for Cinnamon Shores. Only downside (other than $$$) is it's tough to stay anywhere else the next time...
GrayMatter
AG
idAg09 said:

Check out cinnamon Shore in Port Aransas. Pricey but very nice and very kid friendly. Going this weekend and go every year with three kids under 6.

It'll be Tough to find a reservation anywhere and you'll be paying a little bit more than usual due to demand (lots of ppl have same short distance travel though like you). We also like Hyatt lost pines and Hyatt hill country with kids
Thanks for the tip. I was able to secure a stay in late July. Have a good trip and I would love if you comment on your trip when you get back.
MAS444
AG
Another rec for Cinnamon Shores. We're going for July 4th and then again in September.
mavsfan4ever
AG
For cinnamon shores, do most people vrbo a house on the beach? Or are most of the houses off of the beach? The website makes it look like there aren't very many beachfront properties.
MAS444
AG
None are actually on the beach although some are closer than others. There's are dunes and grass in between the development and the beach...as there is everywhere there. However, they have nice boardwalks for access to the beach and most people rent golf carts to get back and forth easily. One of the things I like about Cinammon Shores though is they also have several nice pools...including one with drink/food service.
mavsfan4ever
AG
So is it a housing community that has common areas that everyone can use, such as pools, bars, dining, etc?

Is there a downtown area that has restaurants, bars, etc or do you basically cook all meals at the house?

Sorry for all the questions. For Texas beach, we typically do South Padre Island, and I have not heard much about cinnamon shores.
MAS444
AG
It's a resort with large nice houses and some condos. There's one pool bar/restaurant that's decent enough... and really nice to be able to order drinks at pool. There is another larger restaurant at the front of the complex but I'm always unsure of the hours there and have never eaten there. You can drive a few miles to town if you want other restaurants/bars/etc but I think most people just cook at home.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I know nothing of the houses/condos, but Rockport is the nicest beach I've been to in TX
YouBet
AG
Cinnamon Shores looks really damn nice for Texas. Did not realize it was there.
Ag with kids
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

I know nothing of the houses/condos, but Rockport is the nicest beach I've been to in TX
Well, it's not a Gulf beach...
LCE
AG
No common pool area, but plenty of restaurants and bars. Plenty of live music on weekends. Saw Gary P Nunn at the Back Porch. Rent a golf cart and leave your vehicle at the condo. Seagull condos are very nice.

Ag with kids
AG
LCE said:

No common pool area, but plenty of restaurants and bars. Plenty of live music on weekends. Saw Gary P Nunn at the Back Porch. Rent a golf cart and leave your vehicle at the condo. Seagull condos are very nice.

Back Porch is great.

Saw Gary P and Larry Joe Taylor there (different nights). And it's a tiny venue so you're right there up front. Plus, they tend to wander the crowd during breaks...
LCE
AG
A must stop every time down there
Ag CPA
AG
We are heading to NPI from DFW this weekend, will be interesting to see what it's like. My buddy that lives in Flour Bluff said there are record numbers of tourists this summer with nobody wanting to fly, which aside from crowds, would be awesome for the State.
Ag with kids
AG
Ag CPA said:

We are heading to NPI from DFW this weekend, will be interesting to see what it's like. My buddy that lives in Flour Bluff said there are record numbers of tourists this summer with nobody wanting to fly, which aside from crowds, would be awesome for the State.
It's been a lot busier on NPI than the last 2 summers, that's for sure.

Whereabouts are you staying?

BTW, don't EVEN think about getting on the beach at Whitecap unless you go early. You'll need to at least go down to the horse stalls entrance...and if that's a Charlie Foxtrot, get out and head down to the last access road, right before PINS...
rondis23
AG
Heading down there tomorrow. How is it during the week? Is North Padre Sea Wall area pretty busy as well?
Ag with kids
AG
rondis23 said:

Heading down there tomorrow. How is it during the week? Is North Padre Sea Wall area pretty busy as well?
During the week it's a lot less busy. Although this IS high season so there will be a decent amount of folks there.

But, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a spot. It's the weekends that get really bad.
CDub06
AG
My family reported that traffic from Corpus to the island was backed up all the way past Waldron this weekend. We've been planning on making a trip down there, but it looks like we need to plan on doing so on a weekday morning.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Ag with kids said:

LCE said:

Back Porch is great.

Saw Gary P and Larry Joe Taylor there (different nights). And it's a tiny venue so you're right there up front. Plus, they tend to wander the crowd during breaks...

This sounds great. I'm still a little co fused by what cinnamon shores is. So the town is port Aransas, and that's where you'd typically go for restaurants and bars, and cinnamon shores is just a community that has houses/condos to rent? But you can also rent houses/condos in port Aransas that are not part of cinnamon shores?

Is the above correct?
gvine07
AG
Yes.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.