Hawaii

12,430 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by The Lost
12th Man Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This article doesn't present much hope for our trip on 7/23. I hope United just cancels our flights so we don't have to mess with flight credits.
The Milkman
AG
We were looking at going in September because our Companion Pass is going to expire at the end of this year. Once they announced they would extend companion passes until next summer, we decided to push the trip to Spring 2021 rather than worry about it.
jeffdjohnson
I booked flights in September with miles as well. It was too cheap to pass up. Even though it is still 3+ months away I am having serious doubts it will happen. Everything I am reading suggests that Hawaii doesn't want visitors as they are the rare location that could conceivably crush the curve and have no cases. At the same time they are overly reliant on tourists and their economy is now in shambles (30%+ unemployment). I don't see how they have a choice in the matter but I wouldn't put anything past them.
Ken Adams
AG
We're still scheduled to do Aulani on 7/11. Can't imagine that happens as we stand today. Y'all still holding on or anything?
12th Man Ag
AG
We have bailed on everything. Our condo is allowing us to keep our deposit for a future visit. I'll wait until 24-48 before our flight to cancel, in hopes United cancels the flight and we get a refund.
EliteElectric
mattmb917 said:

We're still scheduled to do Aulani on 7/11. Can't imagine that happens as we stand today. Y'all still holding on or anything?
we can cancel up until 8.1 so we'll at least wait that long before giving up on it.
Trucker 96
Have some friends scheduled to visit 7/18 that are still holding out hope. They spent 3 years taking their kids on separate 3 week driving trips in the summer to see every state in the lower 48 (summer 1 was east coast, summer 2 was middle, and summer 3 was the west coast), then followed those 3 summers with an Alaskan cruise last summer. So they were about to check off Hawaii as #50 on this 5 year journey. Hoping it works out for them, but doesn't look good.
EliteElectric
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/05/25/last-year-hawaii-saw-m-visitors-this-year-state-projects-visitor-arrivals-wont-top-m/
singer10
AG
Looking at booking end of December and spending the new year there. Hopefully they've figured it out by then but based on these articles that governed seems keen to get them to 75% unemployment.
BSD
AG
That article says Hawaii expects 3.4mm visitors this year. If they keep talking about having tourists be tracked by cell phones or wearing ankle bracelets or checking in for wellness checks, they'll be luck to get half that. I love the islands and the people, but good gosh, that government can eat a bag of dicks.
sbs
AG
I just watched the video in the article and earlier listened to the mayor of Honolulu. In both instances they said they will first open up travel to Japan before they open up travel to the continental US.
arrow
jeffdjohnson
I'm pretty confident that Hawaii will be "open" starting July 1. It is almost a certainty that you will have to get a COVID test within 72 hours of getting on the plane or at the airport (or quarantine for 14 days).

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/committeefiles/special/COV/Document/05-18-20%20Making%20Hawaii%20Safe%20For%20Travel.pdf

I don't see how this will help. People aren't going to willingly go through an uncomfortable COVID test (with potential false positive) when there are other places to go. I'm still going to wait for the final guidelines before cancelling but I can't imagine I will end up going this year.
Phat32
AG
You can jam a Q-tip up my nose for 30 seconds if that means you can **** off for the rest of my Hawaii trip.
Ken Adams
AG
Being reported that Gov of HI is planning to extend 14 day quarantine past June 30 for incoming visitors. Can't say I'm surprised.
sbs
AG
I pulled the plug and cancelled my trip to Hawaii today. We were going late July but after watching the governor and mayors talk yesterday, it is very clear they are not interested in having visitors any time soon. They don't even want to allow inter island travel right now. It is going to get really bad over there. Last week's report had unemployment at 34%. I am sure it is higher now.
tmaggies
AG
Have no desire to visit a Communist state!
TexasAggie73
AG
tmaggies said:

Have no desire to visit a Communist state!
This is the Travel board. Take your political opinion to forum 16 and you will get a lot of blue stars.
HollywoodBQ
AG
mattmb917 said:

Being reported that Gov of HI is planning to extend 14 day quarantine past June 30 for incoming visitors. Can't say I'm surprised.
Got a source on that?

I'm being asked to make a business trip to help a customer in Hawaii.
So, I'm wondering if I can pop over for a few days and leave, or do I need to stay for 14 days?
BSD
AG
It's all over the news. Check out the local Hawaiian news sites.
12th Man Ag
AG
It hasn't officially been extended past June 30th, yet. But, I am expecting them to push it to July 31st soon.
Ken Adams
AG
Your feelings were correct. Just announced self quarantine extended through July 31. Don't have a link, just saw it people passed around twitter during his live press conference.
BSD
AG
Idiots.
arrow
AG
Another cancelled trip.
dave99ag
AG
So much for that.

Their economy must be wrecked.
12th Man Ag
AG
mattmb917 said:

Your feelings were correct. Just announced self quarantine extended through July 31. Don't have a link, just saw it people passed around twitter during his live press conference.

Craziness! Luckily, United just cancelled our leg from Maui to San Fran, so got all our $$$ refunded. Actually hit my credit card in 3 days!
Bird Poo
AG
There goes their economy. Their governor is useless.

Cancelled our 11 day trip for 7 people that was supposed to start July 2nd.

Don't think I'll ever plan on going back. I'll spend my hard earned money at locations that have some common sense.
TexasAggie73
AG
12th Man Ag said:

mattmb917 said:

Craziness! Luckily, United just cancelled our leg from Maui to San Fran, so got all our $$$ refunded. Actually hit my credit card in 3 days!
United is refunding our cash for direct flights to Oahu with no issues. They changed our flights from non stop to a change at LAX last week. We were supposed to go the middle of July. Just took a 5 minute phone call. Now to see if Hawaiian Air refunds will be as easy along with our timeshare rentals.
TexasAggie73
AG
PearlJammin said:

There goes their economy. Their governor is useless.

Cancelled our 11 day trip for 7 people that was supposed to start July 2nd.

Don't think I'll ever plan on going back. I'll spend my hard earned money at locations that have some common sense.
My wife and I were talking the same thing. The only possible reason is that their health care is not equipped to handle even a moderate increase in hospital admissions. We own 3 weeks of timeshares there, so we will go back at some time.
12th Man Ag
AG
TexasAggie73 said:

12th Man Ag said:

mattmb917 said:

United is refunding our cash for direct flights to Oahu with no issues. They changed our flights from non stop to a change at LAX last week. We were supposed to go the middle of July. Just took a 5 minute phone call. Now to see if Hawaiian Air refunds will be as easy along with our timeshare rentals.
Our VRBO didn't refund our money, but allowed us to move the deposit to a future trip. Not sure we will ever use it, but at least they made an attempt to help us out vs. just flat refusing to do anything.
EliteElectric
8/6 to Aulani doesn't look good for us.
JMac03
AG
EliteElectric said:

I have clients supposed to go to Hawaii the same date - they are cancelling. Good chance it could get extended and they are about to go into final payment. I feel bad for them (and everyone)
TexasAggie73
AG
EliteElectric said:

Aulani is a beautiful resort. Hope you still get a chance to go, if not in August, some other time.
Ken Adams
AG
Aulani for us too. Booked on points that expire by end of August. Aulani (DVC portion) is dragging their feet with rolling cancellations through June 19th right now. Only way we'll get an extension to push this trip into fall is if they cancel us, so we have to keep waiting. It's really a terrible situation for something we have no control over.
TexasAggie73
AG
mattmb917 said:

Aulani for us too. Booked on points that expire by end of August. Aulani (DVC portion) is dragging their feet with rolling cancellations through June 19th right now. Only way we'll get an extension to push this trip into fall is if they cancel us, so we have to keep waiting. It's really a terrible situation for something we have no control over.
If you haven't read the DVC member web site recently, be sure to keep up on it or chat or send email especially if you have a September use year. This is a crazy time for DVC and it's members and who knows what the governor will do. Boardwalk owner since 1997.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.